Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Master key is not required to get into the valley of drakes. Only for entering the blighttown through it.

I am currently playing Dark Souls on switch for about a 6th time and am still finding new stuff in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vic posted:

Master key is not required to get into the valley of drakes. Only for entering the blighttown through it.

I am currently playing Dark Souls on switch for about a 6th time and am still finding new stuff in it!

Well yes, but not from the start of the game, which is what the discussion is about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drat horror queefs posted:

Lore-wise, the fact that Dan can manifest even a lovely hadouken means he's actually insanely strong compared to a normal person, just not compared to godlike beings like Ryu or 16-year-old Japanese schoolgirls

Feels like it puts things into context, really. IIRC, Gouken cut Dan's training short- falsely telling him that he'd learned all he needed to know- because he sensed Dan was basically heading down the path of the Dark Side. Kinda the whole thing with characters like Evil Ryu, Violent Ken and so forth is basically a what-if of where that path can lead if unchecked. Dan is almost a case of 'trained wrong, on purpose, as a joke', as he knows a potentially very powerful supernatural fighting style but he doesn't know how to use it properly, and his mentality ensures he probably never will. (And the implication seems to be that's probably for everyone's benefit, including his) But that means that he's mostly self-taught...

While it came from the series' tradition of moveset clones, I like how they have Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Dan, Sakura, Gouken and whatnot make sense to have overlap by all practicing the same martial art (or variants of it) in different ways and their own personal styles.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Fall Guys has some problems with it, but there's nothing quite as satisfying as grabbing someone just as they try to make a jump, causing them to fall and end up getting eliminated

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've heard a lot of how Dan is a joke character and stuff, but as someone who has never played SF beyond the SNES, can someone explain why? Do his moves just have bad hitboxes/low damage or something?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

I've heard a lot of how Dan is a joke character and stuff, but as someone who has never played SF beyond the SNES, can someone explain why? Do his moves just have bad hitboxes/low damage or something?

He’s a Ken/Ryu clone but his clothes are pink and his attacks do piddly amounts of damage, yeah.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Also his attacks usually seem slower and his version of hadouken doesn’t go far past the end of his hand

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

food court bailiff posted:

He’s a Ken/Ryu clone but his clothes are pink and his attacks do piddly amounts of damage, yeah.

His appearance is a reference to SNK's Art of Fighting series. He has a gi like AoF's Ryo and his head is like Robert. He has a thumbs up pose like Ryo's sister Yuri. And Dan can fill his super meter by taunting, which also was a thing in AoF.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Aug 12, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mierenneuker posted:

His appearance is a reference to SNK's Art of Fighting series. He has a gi like AoF's Ryo and his head is like Robert. He has a thumbs up pose like Ryo's sister Yuri. And Dan can fill his super meter by taunting, which also was a thing in AoF.

His backstory and original endings are also a reference to the melodrama of Art of Fighting's story mode, especially the hang ups with his dad, while tying into the Street Fighter universe by using an SF ad featuring Sagat holding a man by the head. That man was retroactively made into Dan's dead dad and functionally a reference to the boss from Art of Fighting, basically saying "your final boss is trash our sub-boss just straight murdered." There are a lot of jabs at SNK that become more lighthearted later in the series.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Aug 12, 2020

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Morpheus posted:

He's generally the lowest straight up damage character, his special moves are kind of goofy compared to the other characters he plays like, he kind of looks like Steven Segal in some versions, and his character is super cocky. But in some games he has a one kit KO move and or a Suicide attack which will knock him down to 1 hp but kill off the other player if it lands.

He's one of those characters that you can use to style on someone because if you lose to Dan, either than Dan player is really good, or you are really bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dan's a bit of a funny example given his entire presentation is basically as a character who has a massive amount of bluster for someone whose fighting style is a weaker version of the protagonist's, having a ridiculous amount of taunts in his moveset. The joke is that he can do magical martial arts, but vastly overestimates his competence and power. (The main comparison to Mr Satan in Dragon Ball, though attitude wise you could say a Peggy Hill of supernatural martial arts)

How weak he actually is in practice depends on the game, what with how tier lists and gameplay can end up, and they seem to sometimes make an attempt to have him be a viable if goofy character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CzarChasm posted:

He's generally the lowest straight up damage character, his special moves are kind of goofy compared to the other characters he plays like, he kind of looks like Steven Segal in some versions, and his character is super cocky. But in some games he has a one kit KO move and or a Suicide attack which will knock him down to 1 hp but kill off the other player if it lands.

He's one of those characters that you can use to style on someone because if you lose to Dan, either than Dan player is really good, or you are really bad.

He's so cocky when he premiered he had like four taunts that he could use at any time when every other character was limited to a taunt they could use once per match. I remember watching a video about Dan and someone mentioned that he started showing up in Street Fighter IV tournaments because his taunts actually ended up having really good potential to open into actual attacks that could good players could capitalize on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

He's so cocky when he premiered he had like four taunts that he could use at any time when every other character was limited to a taunt they could use once per match. I remember watching a video about Dan and someone mentioned that he started showing up in Street Fighter IV tournaments because his taunts actually ended up having really good potential to open into actual attacks that could good players could capitalize on.

Probably accidental, but I feel that might be a really fitting style for a character who's so cocky he catches opponents off guard because they assume he must be suicidally overconfident. (which, to be fair, he is)

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call has unique backgrounds for many of the songs that match the settings from the Final Fantasy series.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dan's a bit of a funny example given his entire presentation is basically as a character who has a massive amount of bluster for someone whose fighting style is a weaker version of the protagonist's, having a ridiculous amount of taunts in his moveset. The joke is that he can do magical martial arts, but vastly overestimates his competence and power. (The main comparison to Mr Satan in Dragon Ball, though attitude wise you could say a Peggy Hill of supernatural martial arts)

How weak he actually is in practice depends on the game, what with how tier lists and gameplay can end up, and they seem to sometimes make an attempt to have him be a viable if goofy character.

Mr Satan's failing is that he never masters ki control and so never learns the mystical martial arts even as his own daughter is learning to fly. You fool, you cad and blunderer

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

All the talk about how Dan has the potential for the Satsui No Hado reminds me of a custom fighter someone made in MUGEN of EVIL DAN

Behold the true potential of the Satsui No Hado!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1io5aks1M

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Why didn’t he ever learn to use ki anyway?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

christmas boots posted:

Mr. Satan, you mean? Why would he? He's the strongest fighter in the universe, you fool.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If he learns how to control ki there's always a chance one day Goku will show up and tell him he really needs his help fighting a Kami Shenron of Destruction or whatever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If he learns how to control ki there's always a chance one day Goku will show up and tell him he really needs his help fighting a Kami Shenron of Destruction or whatever.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ki my rear end you nerds

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Dungeons & Dragons Online has mindflayers that can stun you, then eat your brain while you're helpless. For obvious reasons, this is instant death for your characters, even if you're a warforged (a robot/golem made of wood and metal).

However, should the mindflayer eat a warforged brain, it'll puke its guts out afterwards. :v:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Pooncha posted:

Dungeons & Dragons Online has mindflayers that can stun you, then eat your brain while you're helpless. For obvious reasons, this is instant death for your characters, even if you're a warforged (a robot/golem made of wood and metal).

However, should the mindflayer eat a warforged brain, it'll puke its guts out afterwards. :v:

Mindflayer equivalents exist in Bloodborne, and while their brainsucking isn't an instant kill (Hunters are apparently tougher than your average adventurer) the attack does permanently lower your Insight, which is a stat that represents your awareness of the true nature of the freaky poo poo going on around you. This isn't that big a deal since by the time you encounter them it's relatively easy to raise or lower your insight (and you'll probably have more than you ever need), but it's a neat little thing that it does have an effect on you besides damage

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kit Walker posted:

Mindflayer equivalents exist in Bloodborne, and while their brainsucking isn't an instant kill (Hunters are apparently tougher than your average adventurer) the attack does permanently lower your Insight, which is a stat that represents your awareness of the true nature of the freaky poo poo going on around you. This isn't that big a deal since by the time you encounter them it's relatively easy to raise or lower your insight (and you'll probably have more than you ever need), but it's a neat little thing that it does have an effect on you besides damage

If you get hit by it enough does the world go back to normal?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Len posted:

There are thresholds of awareness, where certain enemies/hazards/attacks aren't visible unless you have enough insight, and yeah it's possible to lose enough insight that you no longer have to deal with them. You start the game with 0 insight and your first point of insight is what lets you interact with the Plain Doll, who is the NPC that lets you level up. Until then she's, well, just a plain doll that lies there inert. Dropping back to 0 will turn her inanimate again, but you can still level up through her anyway, you just can't hold a conversation

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Len posted:

I don't remember about the world at large (but I think it doesn't), but certain enemies get extra attacks and different appearances above a certain Insight level, and a boss that does a whole bunch of crazy poo poo and has extra adds or something, unless you have no Insight in which case none of that happens and the fight is very very easy.

efb with Doll info even

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But what about things like the moon changing and the amygdala

edit: answered my own question trying to figure out how to spell their name

They can be seen at any insight level if Rom has been defeated

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mamkute posted:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call has unique backgrounds for many of the songs that match the settings from the Final Fantasy series.
Got reminded of that Quest Medley system when I got map coordinates as loot in the Avengers beta. Theatrhythm, the first GaaS looter shooter

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Len posted:

But what about things like the moon changing and the amygdala

edit: answered my own question trying to figure out how to spell their name

They can be seen at any insight level if Rom has been defeated

lol, yeah, because that's not dependent on your insight. At that point you've hosed up the (guardian of the) ritual and now the true state of Yharnam is visible to everyone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

I think it's not that he couldn't, but by the end of DBZ when he's finally accepted that magic is real, he's a little too old to be basically starting all over again with martial arts when he's trained all his life in a different style, especially since it's been made clear he's not really got a hope of catching up even to the normal humans. He's quite happy being a doting grandpa and playing superhero with his son-in-law. Goku also did actually consider him for the Tournament of Power when they had a last-minute drop-out, which isn't quite as bad an idea as that seems given the tournament format favours skill over raw power.

Was quite aware the Dan comparison is flawed, given Dan demonstrably can use ki or its equivalent, he just sucks at it in comparison to the properly trained characters. So the best comparison is Wimp Lo.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Doc M posted:

Hm, that makes sense. I automatically thought of the ghost stance as dishonorable because terror isn't the samurai way, but it's not Jin's fault these Mongols and other goobers poo poo their pants when a crazy man wearing a monkey mask, a giant straw hat and a fundoshi charges at them while screaming bloody murder the entire time.

I did get a laugh when I keyed up Ghost Stance during one of those "fight alongside Uncle Shimura" missions and he was praising me. Mr. "You Must Control Your Emotions!" was perfectly happy I was turning into a screaming maniac and slashing cowering Mongols to literal pieces in front of him. I also loved the terror mechanic, especially since thanks to when you acquire the appropriate drops to really boost it, it picked up in the third act where everybody sane among your enemies should legitimately be scared shitless of the Ghost anyway. Got mine high enough that not many Mongols ran away, but just enough to feel right and still feel powerful. Though I never quite understood why the Mongols never alarmed when one of them ran screaming past them from a stealth kill on the other side of camp, you'd think that would make them nervous. Then again, maybe some guy thinking he saw the Ghost and randomly fleeing in terror was something they were used to by then ("There goes Bob again." "Let me guess, that patch of tall grass moved again and he thought for sure - GLURRK" "AHHHHHHH!!!").

Another tiny thing I liked about Ghost of Tsushima was how you could assassinate mid-jump over people. Had one mission with a hostage rescue I swear was deliberately set up with the grappling points to ensure the best approach was swinging over the enemies surrounding the hostages and trigger a three person assassination, loved that moment when I realized what it was prompting me to do.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Vic posted:

If you can get to valley of drakes you can get to blighttown, the keyed door is between new londo and the valley. You can go parish > darkroot > valley > blighttown if you got unfortunately lost.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've been playing Octopath Traveler lately, and while the story is weak I like how your party becomes the very essence of deranged RPG characters. I can steal items from every npc, including kids. Sure, they'll only have candy and marbles, but I'll take them anyway. And afterwards, I might press that kid into a fight so I can gain a little extra XP.

Note that the game actively doesn't care if you do this, and your characters will still be taking about honor and other drama the moment a cutscene comes around. Never stops being funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to the Parasite fight in Superman: Shadow of Apokalips (gonna beat the fight later) and I appreciate that the truck doesn't really have a health bar. Apparently, if it catches fire you can just blow it out and it's fine until it's on fire again, so you don't really have to worry too much about it. Also each of the remaining levels looks like it'll be one form of a boss, so I can save between the next few fights as opposed to the loving livewire fight where I had to take out three phases in one level.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ilmucche posted:

If you can get to valley of drakes you can get to blighttown, the keyed door is between new londo and the valley. You can go parish > darkroot > valley > blighttown if you got unfortunately lost.

Ask me anything about the time I put down Dark Souls for a month mid-Blighttown, came back to it, and inadvertently fought my way from the end all the way back up to the beginning.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got to the Parasite fight in Superman: Shadow of Apokalips (gonna beat the fight later) and I appreciate that the truck doesn't really have a health bar.

The truck? Is Superman driving a truck?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Sorry, Parasite is attacking a Bullion Truck, trying to steal the gold. Also because he leeches off of Superman in the cutscene before it, he has all of your moves, making for a neat fight, although he also has a limited version of your health regen which is annoying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

food court bailiff posted:

Ask me anything about the time I put down Dark Souls for a month mid-Blighttown, came back to it, and inadvertently fought my way from the end all the way back up to the beginning.

I hope you didn't use the valley entrance. It's a massive troll that you can't get into the depths from the blighttown side.

Were you down in the swamp?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Qwertycoatl posted:

I like how Chrono Trigger lets you fight the final boss almost whenever you want from pretty early in the game (extremely early in NG+) and you get different endings depending on how far through the game you are, with a special ending if you kill the massively souped up one that's supposed to be unwinnable
There's also a golem boss that's you're supposed to lose to at one point.

I beat it, not realizing this at the time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disgaea games have a bit of a running gag with 'unbeatable' bosses that give you a secret ending if you beat them. (which isn't unlikely given repeatable missions/new game + and that the games are designed for a player to break over their knee in a game of ridiculous grinding and and math)