Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

corn in the bible posted:

In both cases you are funding a bad person through your actions. Even if it's not your money, you are earning that person funding to continue being a lovely rear end in a top hat.

I think that my statement was meant to clarify why asking about video content vs person's character.

No one knew about what goes on backstage of channel awesome until now, and now people can make an informed decision based on it.

Alacron posted:

Yes but there's also the added layer of "supporting this persons work supports their lifestyle." Mother's Basement's video on this subject dives into this more, but short version is that the Walkers and Michaud wouldn't have even have had the opportunity to be this lovely if they weren't making a living off of their videos. You can "Love the work, hate the jerk" with Ender's Game, but paying money for the book or movie or whatever gives OSC royalties which are inevitably going to go into anti-gay rights groups.

Ultimately it comes down to what's stronger, your enjoyment of the work or your distaste for supporting a crappy person. And when you pick enjoyment, it can lead to really skeezy situations like the celebrities who are trying to get a pardon for Roman Polanski.

Hollywood is a sick culture full of rapists, as metoo has shown. Polanski and their supporters are visible because it's easy to not have ever watched his movies, but what about Johnny Depp. Or Terry Gilliam, who recently started a campaign against metoo in favor of Weinstein's actions.

Sure you can decide not to watch future hollywood movies that have outed rapists and wife beaters in them, but if you were to eliminate the back catalog based on that there wouldn't be much left.

Youtube's different, as channels are much more limited productions made by people who do not hold the kind of power that people in Hollywood do. Now that channel awesome has been outed, you can just not watch them and you won't support them or someone associated with them by mistake if you watch something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You can always turn on that pesky adblock for YT videos if such things concern, and it's possible to whitelist specific channels that you don't mind watching ads for.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think that my statement was meant to clarify why asking about video content vs person's character.

No one knew about what goes on backstage of channel awesome until now, and now people can make an informed decision based on it.

Hollywood is a sick culture full of rapists, as metoo has shown. Polanski and their supporters are visible because it's easy to not have ever watched his movies, but what about Johnny Depp. Or Terry Gilliam, who recently started a campaign against metoo in favor of Weinstein's actions.

Sure you can decide not to watch future hollywood movies that have outed rapists and wife beaters in them, but if you were to eliminate the back catalog based on that there wouldn't be much left.

Youtube's different, as channels are much more limited productions made by people who do not hold the kind of power that people in Hollywood do. Now that channel awesome has been outed, you can just not watch them and you won't support them or someone associated with them by mistake if you watch something else.

The story about some of this poo poo broke 2-3 years ago. I think it’s where the thread title comes from.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I Before E posted:

New Night Mind, about what seems to be a very generic serial killer series called My Dad's Tapes

Honestly, I remember MDT when it was running, and.. calling it a generic serial killer series is giving it too much credit if anything. It's really not the kinda thing that I'd expect Nick to cover, ever, unless he was struggling for more relevant content.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Also, and this might come as a shock to some extremely online shutins, you can just keep enjoying your stupid media without attempting to harass someone who has been hurt by the people creating that media into telling you it's okay! It might reflect poorly on you if other people find out/know about it, but roping other parties in is markedly worse!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Andrast posted:

On the other hand,

I'm well aware, some of these dumb geeks on twitter and youtube are just pushing my buttons with their "Separate the work from the artist" rhetoric, as if it were just that loving simple.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alacron posted:

oh :downs:

Yes but there's also the added layer of "supporting this persons work supports their lifestyle." Mother's Basement's video on this subject dives into this more, but short version is that the Walkers and Michaud wouldn't have even have had the opportunity to be this lovely if they weren't making a living off of their videos. You can "Love the work, hate the jerk" with Ender's Game, but paying money for the book or movie or whatever gives OSC royalties which are inevitably going to go into anti-gay rights groups.

Ultimately it comes down to what's stronger, your enjoyment of the work or your distaste for supporting a crappy person. And when you pick enjoyment, it can lead to really skeezy situations like the celebrities who are trying to get a pardon for Roman Polanski.
Everyday proves piracy and adblock more and more morally right.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, I remember MDT when it was running, and.. calling it a generic serial killer series is giving it too much credit if anything. It's really not the kinda thing that I'd expect Nick to cover, ever, unless he was struggling for more relevant content.

Yeah, this is what I thought too, though it seems he's more having fun at its expense while pointing out a few things it does right.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Separating work from the artist is kinda bollocks, yeah - it's a way of justifying to yourself more than anything. Just cut the bullshit and make a decision to watch someone or not while still being mindful of poo poo they've done.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alacron posted:

I'm well aware, some of these dumb geeks on twitter and youtube are just pushing my buttons with their "Separate the work from the artist" rhetoric, as if it were just that loving simple.

I just wanted an excuse to post that picture again

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That's fair.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I try to separate their criticism from their personal lives, but I can't do it for long. I know what they've done. They need to be tried at the Hague.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dragonatrix posted:

There's definitely been a few videos where it felt like they had to make do with what was there, no new Alan Resnick weirdness, EverymanHybrid hasn't had enough content to make another video about yet, no worthwhile ARG type stuff.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Christ on a cracker, MDT's main character has the worst acting, like even for a web series! Like, he's reacting to bizarre murder poo poo with the blandest level of mild concern possible on someone who's not comatose.

If you can't emote, don't base your series on your acting skill!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Christ on a cracker, MDT's main character has the worst acting, like even for a web series! Like, he's reacting to bizarre murder poo poo with the blandest level of mild concern possible on someone who's not comatose.

If you can't emote, don't base your series on your acting skill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvvJ8XcXaw

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Alacron posted:

Sometimes the work would be very different if the artist wasn't a piece of poo poo. I'd say separation is borderline impossible then.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You can't be creative without being problematic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Its actually very easy to avoid consuming media.

Nobody is forcing you to watch Hollywood films dude

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

corn in the bible posted:

Its actually very easy to avoid consuming media.

Nobody is forcing you to watch Hollywood films dude

Just move into a cave far from civilisation, no phone, no TV, no methods of communication.

It's easy!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Spark That Bled posted:

Just move into a cave far from civilisation, no phone, no TV, no methods of communication.

It's easy!

It honestly sounds like a good idea about now.

Thats a business I wanna get into. Selling caves to people who wanna burn Twitter's HQ to the loving ground but can't because of their own extensional impotence.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's not hard to just not watch movies. I haven't been to a theater in more than a year.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not hard to just not watch movies. I haven't been to a theater in more than a year.

So you don't go to electronics stores, or anywhere they're selling TVs or DVD players, either?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spark That Bled posted:

So you don't go to electronics stores, or anywhere they're selling TVs or DVD players, either?

I mean, I have a DVD drive in my older laptop, which I've used to watch things on occasion. I also watch streamed content. I'm just saying you don't have to expose yourself to Hollywood movies all the time.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Spark That Bled posted:

i don't understand what you're arguing with this, are you saying so much as laying eyes upon ~problematic media~ is equivalent to purchasing and supporting it???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

AriadneThread posted:

i don't understand what you're arguing with this, are you saying so much as laying eyes upon ~problematic media~ is equivalent to purchasing and supporting it???

The DVD player's laser power will extract money from your wallet. It's like osmosis.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Don't go to the movies or subscribe to any streaming services or pirate any media for a while and you too can feel an unearned sense of superiority, which lets you sleep well at night and means you get in far fewer pointless poo poo-flinging sessions on discussion forums like Something Awful dot com about whether the latest Marvel or Star Wars or Oscar bait movie was in fact good/bad.

Falls pretty flat on its face if you're surrounded by people who are still into this stuff though unless you want to be The Boring One who loses all their friendships due to being a stick in the mud.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't watch movies not because of the morality of people higher up in hollywood but because they make lovely movies. Also the internet was invented and lol who watches anything made by the man anymore, look at this channel its of a guy in a suit and he waves a gun around and screams a lot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, to be fair, I only half-read that conversation and was gut responding to it. Sorry for wasting your time with my lovely take!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Falls pretty flat on its face if you're surrounded by people who are still into this stuff though unless you want to be The Boring One who loses all their friendships due to being a stick in the mud.

Yeah, this. Like, I don't intentionally avoid mainstream entertainment, I just live under a rock, and BOY HOWDY does that make social interaction difficult.

Not that it'd be much easier for me if I DID follow whatever's popular, because I'm a goddamn nerd who's too invested in how the stories are made, but I expect for your more normal types it's still a big hurdle to just straight up refuse to engage in a trend and be left behind by your entire social group.

EDIT: Though, remembering the context, if your social group's touchstone is TGWTG then you have bigger problems than Your Fave is Problematic.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

For me it kinda got wearying in the end to avoid everything...like, I used to a fair bit for a lot of things but not only did it get tiring, it actually got damaging in the end to do it.

So I tend to gradually make peace with a lot of things...which in terms of filmmakers is often - you're a major dick or worse but I can still laugh. Some have taken longer than others...oddly, I watched my first clip from a Woody Allen movie today in several years when I realised that the vid I was editing utterly called out for it and I laughed my arse off, so I guess that's one step to making peace there (It's always the ones who you admired the most that take the longest...).

Not sure if I'll ever be able to make peace with Polanski though. I just can't do it. Guy's a loving rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Or Bertolucci. Helps that I already hated Last Tango in Paris, mind.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you've ever spent a dollar in your life there is a ~100% chance you have directly funded terrible people, terrible causes, and systematic oppression of some variety, and helped to make the world an all-around worse place

:capitalism:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

For me it kinda got wearying in the end to avoid everything...like, I used to a fair bit for a lot of things but not only did it get tiring, it actually got damaging in the end to do it.

So I tend to gradually make peace with a lot of things...which in terms of filmmakers is often - you're a major dick or worse but I can still laugh. Some have taken longer than others...oddly, I watched my first clip from a Woody Allen movie today in several years when I realised that the vid I was editing utterly called out for it and I laughed my arse off, so I guess that's one step to making peace there (It's always the ones who you admired the most that take the longest...).

Not sure if I'll ever be able to make peace with Polanski though. I just can't do it. Guy's a loving rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Or Bertolucci. Helps that I already hated Last Tango in Paris, mind.

I never thought Woody Allen was all that funny, myself.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Solitair posted:

I never thought Woody Allen was all that funny, myself.

In my real major early 20's film buff years when I was trying to watch absolutely everything, he was an idol to me. Annie Hall, Deconstructing Harry, Crimes and Misdemeanors (ESPECIALLY that one, which isn't even all that funny - but it is his best film)...I mean, goddamn. His books too. Then the fact that he's utter pondscum became ever harder to ignore...

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

In my real major early 20's film buff years when I was trying to watch absolutely everything, he was an idol to me. Annie Hall, Deconstructing Harry, Crimes and Misdemeanors (ESPECIALLY that one, which isn't even all that funny - but it is his best film)...I mean, goddamn. His books too. Then the fact that he's utter pondscum became ever harder to ignore...

Fair enough. I've only seen three of his movies (Sleeper, Annie Hall and Antz), and right now I'm not that inclined to seek out more.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

if you've ever spent a dollar in your life there is a ~100% chance you have directly funded terrible people, terrible causes, and systematic oppression of some variety, and helped to make the world an all-around worse place

:capitalism:

This is why that Sonic image owns, because it's true.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

If your group of friends would leave you over not liking some lovely movies or whatever, it sounds more like they're trash friends.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Solitair posted:

Fair enough. I've only seen three of his movies (Sleeper, Annie Hall and Antz), and right now I'm not that inclined to seek out more.

Tbh you can probably get a big chunk of Allen's serious drama chops, good as they are, just through watching Ingmar Bergman films anyway.

Yardbomb posted:

If your group of friends would leave you over not liking some lovely movies or whatever, it sounds more like they're trash friends.

Not sure if it's so much that, more a personal frustration at always feeling out of a loop and not being able to add much to a convo, poo poo like that which pumps up good ol' honest anxiety.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 18, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
And as if it wasn't pretty clear from his weird need to speak about this now:

https://twitter.com/EllenBarkin/status/975133466235777024

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Not sure if it's so much that, more a personal frustration at always feeling out of a loop and not being able to add much to a convo, poo poo like that which pumps up good ol' honest anxiety.

This is the bulk of my existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
That DM to Allison-- jfc.

Like, if you're going to enjoy problematic personalities, fine, okay, whatever. To each their lovely own.

If you're going to announce publicly that you're going to enjoy that media-- well, kinda dicky, but again, whatever. Shout into whatever void you own.

But to approach a victim of that problematic media, and basically say "I know you were harmed but I'm still going to watch--" no matter how that sentence ends, you are so far over the do-not-cross line that there is a light-speed delay.

Have a public discussion about "why do people watch problematic movies :doug:". It's obviously a topic that needs some thought, given the absolute infestation of lovely people in every facet of entertainment. But don't ever, EVER seek out someone who was harmed by the people behind the media to "just have a talk, bro" with them.

I'm sure Samantha Gailey would just loving love if you sent her an email saying how much you love Chinatown and she's cool with it, right, why is she so hung up about this DEBATE ME BRO!

• Locked thread