Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the point of Archdragon Peak? Is it an exercise in maddening frustration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Archdragon Peak is weird because the level itself feels "complete" but there are things about it that make it feel like a rush job - like the lack of a dragon covenant or any connection to the overall narrative.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archdragon Peak felt like a level from some other video game that you bumbled into. I like it for the most part though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 2, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

lite_sleepr posted:

What is the point of Archdragon Peak? Is it an exercise in maddening frustration?

No no, you're thinking of poise. Archdragon Peak is for fighting a comfy boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had more trouble with those little dagger fuckers than any boss.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

lite_sleepr posted:

You unlock infinite upgrade materials there.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

You mean the entire game?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I had more trouble with those little dagger fuckers than any boss.

It's those drat dragon turtle things which I despise.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If poise worked, neither those dragon knife fuckers or the dragon turtle rock monsters would be a problem.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

You unlock infinite upgrade materials there.

Tell me more.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

lite_sleepr posted:

Tell me more.

After the final bonfire there's a gauntlet with tons of enemies up into a dead end cliff. On one of the sides there's an umbral ash that unlocks the high end crafting materials for purchase without limit.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

After the final bonfire there's a gauntlet with tons of enemies up into a dead end cliff. On one of the sides there's an umbral ash that unlocks the high end crafting materials for purchase without limit.

I know that, and it's brutal. You get the last dragon piece too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Also Earthern Peak has 2 titanite slabs, and Havel. Well worth to fisit for the boss, the ashes, slabs and Havel.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Hunt11 posted:

It's those drat dragon turtle things which I despise.

gently caress those guys. It's like literally nobody tested them after they tossed poise's functionality in the bin.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

I know that, and it's brutal. You get the last dragon piece too.

I'm done with Arcghdragon peak. I killed the Havel knight out there, but I can't find his gear. I thought he dropped it on death, but no, and the handmaiden doesn't have it either.

I also killed Hawkwood, but can't find his shield anywhere.

Where is my stuff?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kick the little turtle guys, it sends them flying and ignores their insanely high defense.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm done with Arcghdragon peak. I killed the Havel knight out there, but I can't find his gear. I thought he dropped it on death, but no, and the handmaiden doesn't have it either.

I also killed Hawkwood, but can't find his shield anywhere.

Where is my stuff?

At the Stray Demon.

Because reasons.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Supremezero posted:

At the Stray Demon.

Because reasons.

:shepface:

I got it, but it's heavier than I could have ever imagined.

Refine gem'd a claymore, too. Did I do that right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Archdragon Peak is really nice as a contrast to the rest of the game. I like the design of it and the enemies for the most part. Then they managed to ruin it by having the super bonus boss be a fight against the camera controls rather than a test of skill.

RyokoTK posted:

The whole game has too many Mimics. I feel like it kind of cheapened the trick when the very first chest you might find is a Mimic.

I think they made the first chest a mimic because that was the only way they were gonna trick people with them still. We're all expecting mimics, but most people probably didn't think one of the first chests would be one.

I think the best way they could of improved mimics would just have been too make more types of them. You've got the DS1 and DS2 types in the game, but by now we know their tricks so they aren't scary. If a mimic got up and fought completely differently than how you expected, it would still pose a threat even too a veteran player. Right now the only danger to a veteran is falling victim to their stupid grab hitbox extending behind them for no reason.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What they actually should have done is had things that aren't chests be mimics. A mimic door, or ladder, or bonfire... that would really get me to distrust the game.

As it was, I saw the chest and immediately whacked it out of Dark Souls instinct, and lo and behold, it was a mimic. :shrug:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

oldpainless posted:

I feel its a very DARK SOULS thing to have the first one be a mimic, but then having so many of them was a mistake. Also the first mimic in DS was noticeably different than all the previous chests so there was a hint that you should be careful which DS3 lacks.
Ehhhh no. How was the first mimic in DS any different to the mimics in DS3? You're misremembering if you think the mimics looked sufficiently different. The chain was pulled straight because it had backed into place, maybe they're breathing (like DS3)? But that's it?

RyokoTK posted:

What they actually should have done is had things that aren't chests be mimics. A mimic door, or ladder, or bonfire... that would really get me to distrust the game.

As it was, I saw the chest and immediately whacked it out of Dark Souls instinct, and lo and behold, it was a mimic. :shrug:
That's why DS2 chests were so good! Because unless they contained something you really shouldn't be able to miss they were usually breakable, so if you whacked every chest there was a chance you could break it and trash what was inside.

But apparently they're divergent code bases so there was simply no way to possibly use something from DS2 in DS3 so we're back at indestructible chests with lame mimics.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The first mimic is different due to the circumstances in which you encounter it. You're walking through a fortress full of traps. You should already be on the look out for stuff that doesn't look right, more so than usual at least. So a player is more likely to find the chest sitting in the middle of a room suspicious. Especially if there are bloodstains, as the room lacks any enemies and none could chase you down there due to the long boulder sprint.

The first mimic in DS3 is in a really early area right after a dangerous dragon sprint, so it feels like a legitimate reward and is more likely to catch someone off guard.

RyokoTK posted:

One day we'll get the Mimic Mansion level everyone wants/dreads.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
DS2 was the best when it came to mimics, including very long stretches without any of them just to hide one when you'd forgot about them. DS3 had a weird mixture of areas without any of them and locations that had nothing but mimics, and also no system to disincentivize just hitting every chest with your sword.

But that very early chest being a mimic immediately was a fantastic dick move.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Archdragon Peak is really nice as a contrast to the rest of the game. I like the design of it and the enemies for the most part. Then they managed to ruin it by having the super bonus boss be a fight against the camera controls rather than a test of skill.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who had no camera trouble whatsoever with the Storm King phase. Dunno why, maybe I'm just used to constantly move the camera around to keep things in sight. I think it's kinda fun to keep track of what the king telegraphs, dodge, then dodge the remainder of the combo blind because he's out of sight again, while edging closer to the spot where the dragon's head will end up. Wrestling with the camera is definitely part of the boss fight, but it's never been an issue for me; not least of all because Storm King is REALLY easy. Hell, I stumbled through his entire first phase with the most incompetent, disoriented showing ever, just because he's so slow to attack.

If you ask me, the worst thing about that phase is the ground you fight on. The lack of solid ground, similar to the Four Kings in DS1, really throws off my sense of perspective sometimes. That could've been done better. I usually stare upwards, so it's not as bad, but things can get annoying when the dragon has lowered his head and you're trying to work out perspectives while getting closer to it. It's not really an issue during the second phase, since it's not nearly as hard to hit, at least...

Eh. Could've been handled better. But then again, the Souls series has never shied away from throwing huge enemies right into your face, where they obstruct the camera because they aren't these lame-rear end giants who fight while you stand on a waist-high platform, so that they aren't actually mobile.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I find myself really struggling to find the drive to want to get through ng+. My first play through was dark sword so I was of course going to do something else. But that's the problem. Everything else feels so much weaker; slower; worse move set. Someone tell me what weapon to play through with now that isn't a long sword basically.

I was thinking something like a pole arm build or a dex build (1st run through was strength). Or some kind of battle mage but I have no idea what that looks like (weapons/spells). But I guess I can't respec until I get to the worm lady.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 3, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You could do a polearm run, either quality with the red hilted halberd (or normal one) adding the lucerne for counter damage with leo ring or go more str focused with Gundyr's halberd or Winged knight halberd, they're both amazing.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

rotaryfun posted:

I find myself really struggling to find the drive to want to get through ng+. My first play through was dark sword so I was of course going to do something else. But that's the problem. Everything else feels so much weaker; slower; worse move set. Someone tell me what weapon to play through with now that isn't a long sword basically.

I was thinking something like a pole arm build or a dex build (1st run through was strength). Or some kind of battle mage but I have no idea what that looks like (weapons/spells). But I guess I can't respec until I get to the worm lady.

Polearms are oodles of fun. Great reach, versatile moveset, lots of variation between different weapons. My second character's a halberdier and so far it's a blast.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ever had this happen?

I pushed the Swordmaster off the ledge with the Halberd charge (hot tip), but charged too much and fell after him. Only I didn't die, like that one speedrun glitch, but not Tears of Denial. Got stuck in Scenery instead. You can see the tip of my weapon in the above pic. Reloading fixed things. Probably not the next gamebreaking strategy, but glitches are fun :D.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I don't know, I think the first mimic you may encounter is sort of made less offensive by the fact that it seems like most players aren't really intended to shoot the dragon off the tower the first time they go through the area. I ignored him the first time because I figured it was like DS1 where you were better off just coming back later to deal with it. If anything I'd complain about how god drat boring it is to make the dragon go away in the first place - seriously, you need to loving shoot that rear end in a top hat for at least an hours to get him to fly off, and I dealt with him during the late game when I had access to lightning bolts and an upgraded knight's crossbow. Did it once and now I never want to do it again, dark mace be damned.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 3, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

VerdantSquire posted:

I don't know, I think the first mimic you may encounter is sort of made less offensive by the fact that it seems like most players aren't really intended to shoot the dragon off the tower the first time they go through the area. I ignored him the first time because I figured it was like DS1 where you were better off just coming back later to deal with it. If anything I'd complain about how god drat boring it is to make the dragon go away in the first place - seriously, you need to loving shoot that rear end in a top hat for at least an hours to get him to fly off, and I dealt with him during the late game when I had access to lightning bolts and an upgraded knight's crossbow. Did it once and now I never want to do it again, dark mace be damned.
You do realize you don't HAVE to deal with the dragon, right? It's very easy at all times to just run to the door and you won't get hit. Or come from behind.

Also, I just did it with a fresh character and the Longbow you find to the right of the start in the High Wall, it took 31 arrows. That's three minutes or somesuch?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

VerdantSquire posted:

I assume most players run through the dragon's fire anyway. The deep battle axe definitely has the feel of Drake Sword that most players would only find useful early on.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The deep battle axe is really useful through the game as some enemies like farron keep swamp or the blobs on catacombs and izalith ruins are weak to it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Deep Battle Axe is a pretty goddamn solid choice for early game. It's no RAW rear end but it still does work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deep battle axe clowns vordt so hard, it's kinda sad

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's also a solid weapon for Undead settlement with really low requeriments. For everything else, RAW rear end.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I did really enjoy learning that almost any area you can shoot the dragon from, including the tower bonfire, will become engulfed in flames

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Akuma posted:

But apparently they're divergent code bases so there was simply no way to possibly use something from DS2 in DS3 so we're back at indestructible chests with lame mimics.

Pretty much.

They went from DS1 to DS2.

Then they went back to DS1 for DS3, instead of building upon the very cool and good changes they made to DS2. Somehow there were more changes from 1 to 2 than there were from 1 to 3. It's baffling. It makes no sense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

has anyone made a thing to help ds3 run better like they did with ds1?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DSFix was mainly for stuff like resolution, borederless windowing, graphics options, etc. DS3 isn't subject to that, so use ENB and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So does lighting the Rosaria bonfire before you meet Patches in the Cathedral ruin Sigmeyer's entire questline? I've never had this happen before.