Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Something something archer, something something pipeline refactoring.

Ah poo poo, I knew there was a few big ones I didn't include. Oh well, maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm the guy defending Star Citizen by criticising other games for having features locked

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

insomuch that Evocati will start to receive invites in about 2-3 weeks, and there will be a PTU release by mid-June. I also said that 3.0 will be going live before the end of the year, and it appears as though the schedule supports that.

I'm genuinely interested as you may know: why would CIG send invites out to Evocati in about 2-3 weeks, when Evocati testing is estimated to start in 7 weeks (5th June), i.e. 4-5 weeks after invites?

TBF, a few people here said "3.0" would arrive mid-year (late-June/early-July), however feature-wise it is more akin to the 2.7 described and slated for last year. The new "3.0" will of course have new ships that were slated for later updates, as the ship pipeline isn't delayed like almost everything else. Some of the networking updates won't make "3.0" and instead arrive later.

The newly planned "3.2" estimated for early 2018 is feature-wise what the original 3.0 was advertised to be at CitizenCon, previously estimated for December 2016. That's quite the delay.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
3.0 will be shat out in september with a fraction of the original features

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
3.0 will be the thing that finally crushes the backers souls, funding slows to a crawl, project dead by feb next year.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Isn't it supposed to be dead in like 3 days according to the last countdown from dr. warlord?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

3.0 will be the thing that finally crushes the backers souls, funding slows to a crawl, project dead by feb next year.

you underestimate the power of idiocy, sir

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Isn't it supposed to be dead in like 3 days according to the last countdown from dr. warlord?
That's just when Derek will start writing his next July blog.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Those deadlines are as credible as any others you'll read in here because there's nobody connected to the primary source, despite claims to the contrary.

Quavers posted:

The newly planned "3.2" estimated for early 2018 is feature-wise what the original 3.0 was advertised to be at CitizenCon, previously estimated for December 2016. That's quite the delay.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/f1og2mroavoz6r/source/EndofYear_PUTimeline_2017.png

(this is not a gannt chart, btw. It's a picture.)

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 17, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This catshit fire dumpster on a train will choo-choo well into next year.

Not that I know anything about Computer Science, but if CIG pulls this game off most of their staff will be honorary doctorates for solving problems that have evaded simple minded folk for several decades. Roberts will finally solve the N=NP conundrum with Star Citizen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nobody will know when CIG fails. It will just happen one day when paychecks don't show up.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobody will know when CIG fails. It will just happen one day when paychecks don't show up.

If my history in mock threads has taught me anything, even when paychecks stop showing up the wet fart keeps puttering on for awhile. But you are correct, the most likely scenario is that "something" comes out, and then the company quietly fades away, while the key actors find other jobs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

Since your post was on January 3rd, this is clearly wrong aswell. Not much left to be said really.

Ummmm hey cuntifas did you know that CIG operates on a different timescale than you? Soon, weeks not months away is close to 1.5 years in your pitiful timetable

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Theory posted:

If my history in mock threads has taught me anything, even when paychecks stop showing up the wet fart keeps puttering on for awhile. But you are correct, the most likely scenario is that "something" comes out, and then the company quietly fades away, while the key actors find other jobs.

It will be interesting to see what happens if CIG pulls a 38 Studios. For sure it will murder CR's reputation, but the sudden loss of 400 jobs in the gaming industry in spite of unheard of financial success should cause waves.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It will be interesting to see what happens if CIG pulls a 38 Studios. For sure it will murder CR's reputation, but the sudden loss of 400 jobs in the gaming industry in spite of unheard of financial success should cause waves.

Unless crobblers is a total moron, he has cashed out sufficiently to support a relatively extravagant lifestyle until the day he dies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Unless crobblers is a total moron, he has cashed out sufficiently to support a relatively extravagant lifestyle until the day he dies.

Q.E.D.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

well he seems to be pretty good at scamming but maybe his idiocy is that thorough

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Worst case scenario is the dude has kick rear end coffee for life

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ManofManyAliases posted:

All of your faux concern for me is not endearing in the least. I don't need to frequent a gay comedy forum on my weekend off, especially one that is a holiday weekend.

Oh, and since I'm more intimately associated with this project more than any of you, I was right in saying 3.0 will drop by mid year, insomuch that Evocati will start to receive invites in about 2-3 weeks, and there will be a PTU release by mid-June. I also said that 3.0 will be going live before the end of the year, and it appears as though the schedule supports that.

You know, someone earlier had a comment in regards to project management: I believe someone said that they were a project manager and what CIG released was abysmal and something they would never give to his/her own management. For a project manager, you must certainly realize that for every project scheduled in the overall release, there are multitudes of design meetings, discussions, more meetings, planning and more that goes into just scheduling a block in confluence. Plus, maybe you are a project manager, but not for a game development company. One of the first things I gather from my limited experience in software development, especially for CIG's game, is that in Agile development, you design the UI first so that you know what to program for.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Much earlier than mid-year > exactly mid-year assuming no delays
Very, very soon > 4+ months after that statement
lol sq42

Quoting the poo poo out of your post, yes, I will.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

lets play when 3.0 hits, we can walk around the moon together or something

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Worst case scenario is the dude has kick rear end coffee for life

i thought he was too dumb to work the machine so they pay someone

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

D_Smart posted:

Oh, you have to read this post from Ars Technica about an interview they just did with Chris, Erin, Tony

quote:

3) The recent changes to Arena Commander have made it more arcade-y. WTF?
Working as intended—that's the idea. The intent is to have AC (and Star Marine, potentially) be more arcade-like than actual in-game fighter combat.

This sounds like they are turning AC into Elite's CQC, the in-game arcade spaceship fighter championship. Which was added to Elite around the release of the Xbox version.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

lets play when 3.0 hits, we can walk around the moon together or something

We can skip around naked on the moon

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nuclearmonkee posted:

i thought he was too dumb to work the machine so they pay someone

Sandi can work it I think, she's the brains behind this amazingly efficient and totally on track operation

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sandi disappearing from CIG (because she got a divorce and quit) will be the first sign that the poo poo hit the fan.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the guy defending Star Citizen by criticising other games for having features locked

It's his fallback position. Which is why he is ignoring everything else. Because, you know, it hurts like hell to be consistently owned.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

It's his fallback position. Which is why he is ignoring everything else. Because, you know, it hurts like hell to be consistently owned.

Big difference between ignoring and doing work while casually observing.

edit: not everything is worth replying to, old man.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Big difference between ignoring and doing work while casually observing.

edit: not everything is worth replying to, old man.

'while casually observing' he types as he hurries another reply to Derek within 2 minutes of his post

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
'not everything is worth replying to, old man' He replies

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

peter gabriel posted:

'while casually observing' he types as he hurries another reply to Derek within 2 minutes of his post

Thanks for being the one to point that out this time around.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/65wzav/answer_the_call_2017/

quote:

I'd say realistically its impossible for them to give anything more than a very educated guess on when it's going to release. I think they have every intention of releasing end of the year, but it won't become apparent until we get closer to their target date.

quote:

I agree figuring out which year a game is gonna release can be hard. But that means its even more important that hard commitments like that with no caveats not be advertised.

Chris learned. He added "probably" to his 2017 estimation to that magazine so it can be safely ignored.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
sq42 starring gary "ham mill" oldman

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 17, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
It's like that picture michael j fox has from back to the future when his past gets erased; I already see backers now: "they never said 2017 idiots!!!!!!"

from the website:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

'not everything is worth replying to, old man' He replies

Old man? Jeesus gently caress, Uncle derek confirmed in SQ42.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2QRvbvtz8

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

It's like that picture michael j fox has from back to the future when his past gets erased; I already see backers now: "they never said 2017 idiots!!!!!!"

from the website:

scroll down, the 2017 is towards the bottom of the page

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Quavers posted:

scroll down, the 2017 is towards the bottom of the page

oh lame, I thought they got rid of it completely. Oh well, at least they can quickly edit it out for next year as the image I screencapped is front facing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How the gently caress is there enough material for them to talk for 1 hour and 36 minutes