Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

"Ok just so you know, at school we don't say people are 'a salty little pisser with a cock in their kisser', got it?"

Oh god. Our 5yo somehow discovered Tom Cardy and I'm dreading the phonecall about why she's asking people if they've looked in their buttholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Brawnfire posted:

My son keeps asking if I want to play with him while I'm playing with him and I'm not really sure what to say

"I am" doesn't seem to be a satisfactory answer for some reason

Maybe he wants reassurance that you're into whatever you're doing?

You could just say, "absolutely I do!" and continue with whatever it is you're up to together.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My page!

Anyhow I tried that and he liked it, so I guess I just need to show more positive enthusiasm while I'm playing. Which... can be a struggle with some of these games.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My son had a meltdown last night while playing Legos with his older sister. Apparently, the idea of a girl delivering pizza is too much for him to handle. Only boys can deliver pizza. He's in the phase of defining what girls / boys can and cannot do, and if you go against his preconceived notions, he does not like it. We continue to remind him that anyone can do anything, and people are their own individuals and can make their own choices. It's slowly working (e.g. he doesn't get pissed when he sees a man with long hair anymore), but it sure is tiring.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Elissimpark posted:

Oh god. Our 5yo somehow discovered Tom Cardy and I'm dreading the phonecall about why she's asking people if they've looked in their buttholes.

Ski-bap

Ba-dap

Butthole

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
just a heads up that if you have multiple kids, the melissa and doug broom and mop set won’t help teach them to clean, they will just use them to beat the poo poo out of eachother

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

John Romero posted:

just a heads up that if you have multiple kids, the melissa and doug broom and mop set won’t help teach them to clean, they will just use them to beat the poo poo out of eachother

I only have one but I have also found this to be the case and had to take it away a few times lmao

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DaveSauce posted:

The teacher has been kinda condescending about it, so we've been racking our brains trying to figure out if we're way behind on this, or if she's just got a different approach/set of expectations to this.
Who are all the other kids in class that are, apparently, master poopers?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

hallo spacedog posted:

I only have one but I have also found this to be the case and had to take it away a few times lmao

Same, it was used briefly for mopping and then exclusively used to beat the poo poo out of the dogs.

Golf set was also banished to the garage.

Latest toy purchase was Buzz Lightyear’s laser sword with the explicit promise to never strike a dog with it. So far he has kept that promise.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

hallo spacedog posted:

My son beat his bed with it so hard it cracked along the length of it and ended up as a shank with a broom head.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

had a parent teacher conference today for my 1st grader. he met expectations for everything and is reading at a second grade level. my curiosity got the best of me and i asked what it would take to get an exceeding expectations, because obviously he’s beyond first part of first grade reading level. his teacher told me that they don’t give those out anymore.

one hand im glad about that, my wife and i came from “okay you met expectations but didn’t exceed them, so we’re disappointed” families and im glad kids don’t have to deal with that. but it feels like you gotta give credit where credit is due

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

harperdc posted:

Hand washing bottles that then get sanitized in a microwave was my hell for about a year, now I just have to figure out adding baby plates into the dishwasher. None of the sippy cups are dishwasher safe, so those are hand wash.

I honestly loved bottle cleaning time. It was a solid hour that nobody bothered me, my kids were good sleepers so I would take an edible and listen to a podcast and just go to town

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We have a new cat (finally) and the tricksy little rear end in a top hat sneaks up on my daughter when she's lying down, steals the pacifier out of her mouth then absolutely legs it, hooning around the house with a pacifier in his mouth like a big dumb hairy baby.

She's nearly two so not a bad time to put them aside but I kind of have to admire his moxie

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Tamarillo posted:

like a big dumb hairy baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwKk0UXkQQ&t=144s

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

John Romero posted:

I honestly loved bottle cleaning time. It was a solid hour that nobody bothered me, my kids were good sleepers so I would take an edible and listen to a podcast and just go to town

The issue we have with bottle/hand washing is the cracked hands. It’s better now we’re out of the newborn stage, but for a while both our hands were canyons of cracks and bottles of lotion were the only thing keeping them intact.

It is nice to throw on a podcast or YouTube video and blast through some cleaning, though apparently I have issues when anyone tries to talk to me during that time. In my defense, it’s hard to have a conversation over running water and pausing a video with wet hands is really annoying.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have eczema that gets bad on my hands with excessive hand washing and doing bottles twice a day is brutal. Dish gloves are the main solution but I hate them, so I tend to forget to use them once my eczema clears up and the cycle will repeat.

How many bottles does everyone own? I can't imagine spending an hour on bottles unless you have a massive amount. We have 8 which should in theory be a day's worth, but her milk production isn't really there so we end up going through two bottles per feeding, one for breast milk and one for formula. It takes me a half hour tops, and most of that is just waiting on the microwave sanitizer bags.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My 3 year old has been trolling us recently by telling us the opposite of what he’s seeing. “That’s not a waffle, that’s a sausage.”

He also likes to troll where we start counting and instead of “1, 2, 3” he’ll just start counting “2, 2, 2” or “17, 17, 17”. So I kept saying “quit trolling me” and he would giggle.

This morning he started doing it again, counting by 2s incorrectly on purpose, and I was too sleepy to really react to it. He starts cracking up and tells me “I’m trolling you.”

Gotta start them young I guess.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
BABY

YOU ARE CRYING BECAUSE YOU ARE TIRED

BUT YOU CAN'T SLEEP BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO BUSY CRYING

GO THE gently caress TO SLEEP

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's a shame we got rid of the old thread title right as my baby was born since it's so relevant to me right now.

He's been having trouble breathing through some congestion and I feel like shooting saline up his nose is like turning babby off and on again. He gets super pissed off for a few seconds then is like, okay yeah but what was I doing again?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My daughter is 3 in a few weeks and HOLY poo poo the energy spike + cave man reasoning + lack of emotional control is b r u t a l.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

The issue we have with bottle/hand washing is the cracked hands. It’s better now we’re out of the newborn stage, but for a while both our hands were canyons of cracks and bottles of lotion were the only thing keeping them intact.

Yup, my hands are destroyed. It was way worse when my boy was a newborn in the winter. Get water in bottle, wash hands to pick up formula scoop, change baby and wash hands after changing, feed baby, wash bottle. Plus all the other hand washing from my own personal stuff.

I tend to just slap aquaphor on it when they get super bad. I tend to bleed a bit too so lotion stings, aquaphor soothes right away but is super sticky and gets everywhere.

Renegret posted:

How many bottles does everyone own?

We’ve just got two. Hell we could get by with one, we just clean them up after they’re used. If they’re washed promptly they don’t need sanitation each time anyway.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Daddy play with me.
Daddy watch me dance. No, over here. Watch me dance on the stair landing stage. No, don't clap. Stand there and watch me.
Daddy I'm lonely. I need you to play with me. *is actively playing with her*
Daddy face me. Daddy watch me. Look at me Daddy.
*repeat on loop for 12 hours*

Followed by...
Daddy can I sleep in the bed with you and Mommy? Look at me. Let me sleep on your hand. Cuddle now. *sneezes in my face*

"[Daughter name], you need to play by yourself for a bit. I'm trying to work. Play by yourself with your toys."
"Daddy I can't."
"Why not?"
"That's impossible."

Add to this that if I'm not around, you can substitute in the word "Mommy" and it'll still fit perfectly. She's about 3y10mo and in the last month is suddenly incapable of being alone or playing on her own ever if we're around. I'm sure she'll move past it, but drat it's frustrating right now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sundae posted:

Daddy play with me.
Daddy watch me dance. No, over here. Watch me dance on the stair landing stage. No, don't clap. Stand there and watch me.
Daddy I'm lonely. I need you to play with me. *is actively playing with her*
Daddy face me. Daddy watch me. Look at me Daddy.
*repeat on loop for 12 hours*

Followed by...
Daddy can I sleep in the bed with you and Mommy? Look at me. Let me sleep on your hand. Cuddle now. *sneezes in my face*

"[Daughter name], you need to play by yourself for a bit. I'm trying to work. Play by yourself with your toys."
"Daddy I can't."
"Why not?"
"That's impossible."

Add to this that if I'm not around, you can substitute in the word "Mommy" and it'll still fit perfectly. She's about 3y10mo and in the last month is suddenly incapable of being alone or playing on her own ever if we're around. I'm sure she'll move past it, but drat it's frustrating right now.

And this also comes with them dropping their midday nap, ensuring you get absolutely zero time to get anything done!

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Love when my kids wake up way too early on the weekends and complain about being hungry and bored. Dudes, you were the ones that couldn’t tell time.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My 3.5 year old used to come snuggle in bed with me when he woke up early. Now he goes into the kitchen and yells about breakfast until I'm irritated enough to get up

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Mine just jumps in the bed for as long as it takes until everybody is awake.

And, yes, the kiddo still sleeps with one or both of us, because we haven’t reversed the sleep regression from 1.5 years ago. :(

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I would like to crow about my 5 year old getting a 20 on his science test. He had previously gotten 0s on all his other exams because he is on the spectrum and it is difficult to communicate with him or get his attention.

Heck yeah

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Did a study happen that determined "kids respond positively to the word GO!" or something?

It just seems like the word GO is in everything

Go Dog Go, Go Buster, Danny Go, All Engines Go, etc.

Just stop!

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Democratic Pirate posted:

Elbow length pink gloves from South Korea. They can buffer the hot water and put me deep in the podcast and clean mode.

Mine come in a two-pack, so I use the other pair for dealing with the reusable diapers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I sure did enjoy waking up at 2 am buddy

And I'm glad you specifically wanted me and not mommy to play with so mommy could rest

Thank you for falling asleep right when I was supposed to get up

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

meanolmrcloud posted:

My daughter is 3 in a few weeks and HOLY poo poo the energy spike + cave man reasoning + lack of emotional control is b r u t a l.

imo people oversell how hard a newborn baby is - which is very hard but it doesn't last that long - and undersell how difficult 2-4 is. Especially when they drop all daytime naps. That's the straight up worst period, those like 3-6 months where the kid is adapting to being awake all day.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

abigserve posted:

imo people oversell how hard a newborn baby is - which is very hard but it doesn't last that long - and undersell how difficult 2-4 is. Especially when they drop all daytime naps. That's the straight up worst period, those like 3-6 months where the kid is adapting to being awake all day.

Newborns are mostly a physical challenge due to sheer exhaustion whereas toddlers are primarily a mental challenge imo but also with periods of intense exhaustion in there.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son is only 3 and already it’s a 50/50 chance if he will nap on the weekend :(

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

abigserve posted:

Newborns, at least the second time around, are exhausting but the headline goal of ‘keep baby alive’ is refreshingly simple.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What's definitely a good idea is combining the exhaustion of a newborn with the patience testing of a preschooler

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Renegret posted:

What's definitely a good idea is combining the exhaustion of a newborn with the patience testing of a preschooler

It kicks rear end, I hate life rn

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

My son is only 3 and already it’s a 50/50 chance if he will nap on the weekend :(
Our 3 year old has had one nap at home in the past 6 months.

We've given up and have transitioned to "quiet time" where he doesn't have to nap but has to play in his room by himself for an hour. He's learned the loop hole of going potty half a dozen times during quiet time, he hasn't learned that I reset the 1 hour timer when he does it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

dismas posted:

:same:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

I take my twins on a car ride every weekend to get them to nap. Usually go through the drive thru to get a coffee and then drive for an hour or so listening to podcasts. Much less stressful than sitting home with cranky kids.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dismas posted:

My wife asked me how my mental health has lately and I didn't know how to tell her that I wish I'd get some serious but not life threatening illness or injury for a few weeks just so I can have a guilt free break from the kids.

Like, yeah I'm loving miserable but that's not depression talking, turns out this poo poo just sucks.