Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Are there any specific steps I need to take when canceling my Apple Music subscription so as to not gently caress up my ~carefully organized~ personal library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha good luck

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ManSedan posted:

Are there any specific steps I need to take when canceling my Apple Music subscription so as to not gently caress up my ~carefully organized~ personal library?

Back up your iTunes library, and pray.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've looked at cancelling iTunes Match and just going all in on AM but at this point I'm sure my library will somehow implode and take all my devices with it if i did. Then a month or so passes until I forget about it and then remember when I get charged for match the next year at which point I go through the motions about cancelling then forgetting about it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ManSedan posted:

It's less hassle to keep paying.

clone your iTunes library entirely beforehand and you should be ok

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you cancel iTunes match then the drawback is that anything you buy outside of iTunes won't magically appear from your computer to your phone, right?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've looked at cancelling iTunes Match and just going all in on AM but at this point I'm sure my library will somehow implode and take all my devices with it if i did. Then a month or so passes until I forget about it and then remember when I get charged for match the next year at which point I go through the motions about cancelling then forgetting about it.

This is me every year

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

A refurb is just a phone that’s used and was repaired/cleaned and is being resold. Anyone can resell an iPhone. Besides Apple, there’s a bunch of retailers that offer used/refurb iPhones with some sort of initial warranty period.

Kinda. There's Apple refurbished (which is pretty much only available directly from Apple), which has actually undergone a refurbishment process and replacement of aesthetic parts and earned itself a full new warranty, and then there's carrier/Geek Squad/etc. "refurbished," which is just a used phone with the fingerprints wiped off and 90 days of warranty if you're lucky and will not most likely qualify for AppleCare+.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 2, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Molten Llama posted:

and then there's carrier/Geek Squad/etc. "refurbished," which is just a used phone with the fingerprints wiped off and 90 days of warranty if you're lucky and will not most likely qualify for AppleCare+.

And at the most the refurbish is simply making sure it powers and doing a factory restore.

If you’re going refurb, I highly recommend the Apple Refurb route. Other places, especially when the savings is significant... caveat emptor.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
If you hold the ping button on your watch to make a noise on your iPhone, it will also set off the flash.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Over There posted:

it will also set off the flash.

This is a lie

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

This is a lie

No it's not.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bum the Sad posted:

This is a lie

I just tested, and pressing it doesn't, but holding it (not force touching) does.

Of course, every time I have to use it to find where I left my phone it's face-up so it probably wouldn't help much, but it's probably useful for somebody.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

I just tested, and pressing it doesn't, but holding it (not force touching) does.

Confirmed here. What odd behavior.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
What the gently caress it didn't work 50 minutes ago now it does.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sounds like an accessibility thing almost

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's for when it's hiding in that gog dang blanket and you can't make out where it is

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What the gently caress, people.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

See, that’s why I won’t buy $150 earbuds. Not because it’s too much money per se, but because it is just enough money that the question of whether to continue using them after they had passed through my cat’s digestive tract would give me pause.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Putting that back in your ear... what the gently caress

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If anyone ever had any desires to become YouTube famous, you now know what to do.

Will it Digest?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

11.4 lets you control Airplay with Siri. Amazing!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trying real hard to not make an infinity wars reference here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

If anyone ever had any desires to become YouTube famous, you now know what to do.

Will it Digest?

That’s a great way to get your name in the paper for animal cruelty.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’d assume you’d have to eat things yourself instead of feeding them to your cat. But maybe you meant that YouTube celebrities should be categorized as animals and stripped of their human rights, which is an excellent idea

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Siri :argh::argh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

I’d assume you’d have to eat things yourself instead of feeding them to your cat. But maybe you meant that YouTube celebrities should be categorized as animals and stripped of their human rights, which is an excellent idea

I guess a better idea is just to make youtubers digest the stuff, they’re sort of celebrities. Like a react channel but for gastrointestinal horror.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I mean, she’s not wrong.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah alarms aren't really scheduled by date, you can only make them repeat on certain days, which isn't what you asked. Reminder does seem more appropriate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

See you get it. Willing volunteers eat small electronics and see if they work afterwards. LED lights, wireless earbuds, those USB transponders that connect wireless mice, really small wireless mice, batteries, iPod shuffles, magnetic stuff...

Don't none of you go taking my idea before I get my trademark.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to blacklist a song from my weekly "New Music" and "Chill" mixes? Like 30% of the songs it picks for me in my Chill Mix are still lovely R&B sex songs that I honestly have no idea why it ever picked for me in the first place. I hit "dislike" on them when they come up in the mix and I skip them but later on in the week when I replay Chill Mix it just plays those songs that I disliked again. It's really annoying.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
It only updates the mixes on certain days. Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday for Favorites, New, and Chill respectively. The love/dislike buttons are for training the almighty algorithm so you should hear less like the songs you dislike in the future, but it won’t stop that from playing them in a playlist they’re already in.

I’ve been on AM for a while and it’s got my tastes down pretty well, though the New Music playlist is certainly the worst of the bunch. I believe it’s supposed to be “new” as in recent releases you may like as opposed to new to you, like Spotify’s discover mix.

The daily playlists (premade stuff you can find under Browse) and albums sections of For You update daily though, and I’ve had real good luck with those.

Edit: update on my post above, I decided to just keep reupping AM instead of dealing with library poo poo. You got me, Apple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another AM question! When you like a playlist it doesn't like all of the songs in the playlist but how does that work with the algorithm? There are a few indie playlists where I like all of the 15-20 songs but does it make sense to go in and like each song or does liking the playlist cover it all?

I'm really trying to fine tune the poo poo that comes up on my HomePod.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
so how do i remove a single notification from the lock screen? I'm used to android's swipe it away thing, but it looks like that doesn't work? I don't care about notifications about so-and-so posted in We Are All God's Children and He Left Us in a Hot Car or whatever other facebook group someone posted in, but I do care about friends actually saying something, so i don't want to disable facebook notifications, or even group notifications, i just don't care about them on my lock screen.

\/\/ :downs: i was swiping the wrong way. habit from android, swiping right would clear it.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 4, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

AA is for Quitters posted:

so how do i remove a single notification from the lock screen? I'm used to android's swipe it away thing, but it looks like that doesn't work? I don't care about notifications about so-and-so posted in We Are All God's Children and He Left Us in a Hot Car or whatever other facebook group someone posted in, but I do care about friends actually saying something, so i don't want to disable facebook notifications, or even group notifications, i just don't care about them on my lock screen.

Swipe to the left and tap 'Clear'?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

AA is for Quitters posted:

\/\/ :downs: i was swiping the wrong way. habit from android, swiping right would clear it.

Swiping right on tinder means you like someone, and left gets rid of them. I feel like this should be universal :v:

But you can also fine tune those notifications inside the Facebook app itself I think. I don’t have the app anymore but I remember it was buried in their confusing menu that you could tell it to stop showing notifications of certain types.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
There’s so many weird things but the weirdest and most obscure thing in Apple Music is the curator playlists. Ive never had one recommended, they only seem to exist in one submenu, and most of them aren’t labeled well.

For whatever reason I keep getting the episode 38 playlist for one of the Beats1 shows recommended. Just that one episode, and it’s not even from a show I listen to all that much.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

God drat I’m so glad I’ve been keeping my Spotify account

$15 for family (+5 others) is pretty good. Near impossible to share AM with anyone >13-years-old without all the poo poo they buy charging your card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For info in this case “near impossible” is “have them maintain a positive gift card balance”. I understand those can sometimes be the same thing.