Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Pro tip: nerd rage will cancel you right out of any jet effect, making it pretty much the worst possible perk to take if you like to take a lot of jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

2house2fly posted:

So what's the canon ending of Fallout 3? It looks like Elder Owens died right after Fallout 3 ended and the Brotherhood upped stakes, are there any other references to what's going on in DC? Given Bethesda's form with Elder Scrolls I'm guessing either a caldera erupted and buried the whole place in ash or the Brotherhood guy made the wasteland fertile again with the power of CHIM
the brotherhood owns DC just like the enclave was planning to do and are now super nazis just like the enclave
broken steel DLC is canon or whatever and the brotherhood now operates out of there just like the enclave
rivet city still exists
that's all i remember hearing about fo3 stuff in this but i think it's pretty safe to assume that the canon ending is the one where everyone doesn't die from poisoned water

there's some stuff that (maybe) can be extrapolated for the bos like someone getting sarah lyons killed on purpose and installing baby maxson complete with bullshit 'he killed a deathclaw as a little boy!' as their leader but nothing really explicit

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm still not terribly far in this game, but from what I've gathered from the Brotherhood of Steel, they are from Lyon's Pride back in Fallout 3. In that game Bethesda pretty much wrote them to be the "good guys" against the Enclave "bad guys." That meant they were sort of a defective group of the B.O.S. at that point and didn't really follow the Brotherhood's ideals. That was the whole reason the Outcasts existed. They were dudes that left Lyon's Pride because they wanted to get back to being what the B.O.S. was all about, being dicks to everyone. Now in Fallout 4, Lyon's Pride seem to be dicks again. Quite flip flopping B.O.S.

You are kinda right.

Both Lyons died between FO3 and 4. Their influence didn't last. It's a change of leadership.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

So what are the cutoff points for the three factions quests where you can no longer take quests from the others?

New page, so I'm reposting this.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Verranicus posted:

New page, so I'm reposting this.
the game will explicitly state that you'll anger a faction permanently

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Fereydun posted:

rivet city still exists

Isn't it implied that Rivet City is basically hosed now? It sounded like after the BoS won the Capital they scrapped it for parts, notably its power.

I'm glad to have a decent Brotherhood of Steel again.

Edit: It'd be cool if some FO4 dlc took us back to a chunk of the Capital Wasteland.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 21, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fereydun posted:

there's some stuff that (maybe) can be extrapolated for the bos like someone getting sarah lyons killed on purpose and installing baby maxson complete with bullshit 'he killed a deathclaw as a little boy!' as their leader but nothing really explicit

Yeah there's hints at some shady bullshit that happened in the BoS between games, the end result is that they're basically just another flavor of badguy now.

I'm fine watching them burn.

Same with the Institute.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sankis posted:

Isn't it implied that Rivet City is basically hosed now? It sounded like after the BoS won the Capital they scrapped it for parts, notably its power.

I'm glad to have a decent Brotherhood of Steel again.

Edit: It'd be cool if some FO4 dlc took us back to a chunk of the Capital Wasteland.

It's just not the Brotherhood of Steel unless you can kill them all and steal their stuff without remorse.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The mod that adds green stuff makes the game a lot more visually pleasing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's just not the Brotherhood of Steel unless you can kill them all and steal their stuff without remorse.

It's just too bad Power Armor and laser weapons are so easy to come by. I always loved pilfering the BoS bunkers of their best equipment.

Edit: When is the toolset due out? I'm itching to mess around with it. I did a tiny bit in NV and would love to try making some poo poo in FO4...

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Sankis posted:

It's just too bad Power Armor and laser weapons are so easy to come by. I always loved pilfering the BoS bunkers of their best equipment.

Edit: When is the toolset due out? I'm itching to mess around with it. I did a tiny bit in NV and would love to try making some poo poo in FO4...

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Heyyyyyy wait a second, why am I finding Jet in pre-war locations? I thought this was a new drug?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Reason posted:

The visuals are probably the one thing I have the least complaint about in the new game, though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sankis posted:

You are kinda right.

Both Lyons died between FO3 and 4. Their influence didn't last. It's a change of leadership.

Which means they're destined to go Steel Plauge and arguably already are as Maxton is not only a favorite of the Brotherhood back West but according to his early autobiography, actually has people are worshiping him as a God. There's no other force strong enough to push them back in the Capitol Wasteland and because of that they can run the roost. Although hearing the people on their Airship talk, its apparently worse than the Commonwealth even with the drinkable river water, so here's hoping DLC will let us see them going on part technofascist dictatorship and the other half Roman Imperial cult giving into Arthur's divinity back in DC.

"You are only allowed to have 17th century level technology, citizen. Or are you a Child of Atom terrorist?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Reason posted:

it ain't canon though, ain't no green stuff here

Sankis posted:

that's better than underworld which probably got straight up massacred given the whole human purity deal

frajaq posted:

Heyyyyyy wait a second, why am I finding Jet in pre-war locations? I thought this was a new drug?
same reason why it's in fo3
just run with it
rip myron

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can someone give me the item ID for the Wazer Wifle? I sold it and don't remember which vendor has it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crabtree posted:

"You are only allowed to have 17th century level technology, citizen. Or are you a Child of Atom terrorist?

After seeing what they do in FO4, purging them would be an unquestionably good move on the Brotherhood's part.

I think I went through like 25 radaway the first time I fought them.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does wearing power armor negate the effects of anything you wear underneath it? Someone was saying you would get the charisma bonus, but what about like armor bonuses and stuff?

I don't think you get any benefit at all from the stuff under power armor. For example, I tested it with a suit (+2 charisma) and with a lucky leg piece (+2 luck). In each case, when I got in the power armor, my existing stat bonus would go away.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing The Big Dig and managed to aggro mel. Now I'm at the end of the tunnel system and I can't get past the first line of Bobbi's dialogue, presumably because Mel is still hostile, even though he's still technically just standing there. Is there a console command to make him like me again? I tried SetEssential 0 to kill and then resurrect him but that command doesn't work for some reason

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can someone give me the item ID for the Wazer Wifle? I sold it and don't remember which vendor has it.

Type "help 0 wazer" in the console, it'll tell you the appropriate id. You can do that for any item in the game, actually, which helps because you don't have to go look it up externally.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Trick Question posted:

Pro tip: nerd rage will cancel you right out of any jet effect, making it pretty much the worst possible perk to take if you like to take a lot of jet.

it also cancels out the (far superior) effect from time slowing armour. I took nerd rage tonight and really wish I hadn't.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can use that armor and nerd rage with 81% radiation to be permanently really awesome, though you die quick if you gently caress up.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

frajaq posted:

myron's ghost time traveled back to show pre-war america the wonderful secret of jet

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When you install a beamsplitter, is the displayed damage per-bolt or total?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
i really hate Bethesda's insistence on keeping their Fallout's all rinky dink poo poo holes. This game could have benefited from some more major settlements or at least a bigger diamond city.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Friar Zucchini posted:

What are yall's tactics for building poo poo at Hangman's Alley? It's super cramped so I try to build up, but on the third floor of my poo poo I hit the height limit so if I so much as stand on a bed I get the warning that I'll get kicked out of the builder thing, and the only lights it'll let me build there are floor lamps which are pretty worthless. Plus there's that metal roof at the outer edge of the corner which fucks up my poo poo getting in the way. Managed to get an L-shaped thing going on with proper stairs to get around but it took some serious squeezing to jam the fucker together. Doesn't help that it's in the middle of town so even though it hasn't had an official "attack" yet, I have to drop my building stuff and shoot at whatever happens by cause I don't have enough copper to set up power lines for a turret that's worth a drat.

Here are some pictures of my build, if it helps. Have never had an attack or anything and ran into the same annoying bug with not allowing regular lighting on the top floor but since I had high-tech lights it ended up just creating a more moody atmosphere in what's essentially just my personal apartment anyways.

http://imgur.com/a/km8ZZ

Only has a couple changes since then, I added a bobblehead stand and magazine rack to my apartment since I basically relocated my main home there, and I added the rest of the merchants at the ground floor. Wish I could decorate with junk items but in a build like this poo poo just falls through the ground always.

Edit: It helps to know that the collision detection for building near the buildings is wonky, if you rotate floor pieces in juuust the right way you can get flooring to clip straight into the buildings. Really helps with atmosphere. If I could change one thing about my build (too lazy to ACTUALLY change anything at this point) it would be to try to get the flooring straight from the start, even if it is more thematic to have built it up in diagonals and all over the place and such.

Oh, another thing that's helpful is thinking like a Wastelander when it comes to holes in walls that don't quite fit an actual wall or whatever. A couple holes in my main apartment are covered up by cabinets, which seemed like such a thematically appropriate decision it's unreal.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 21, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a way to get Tinker Tom's dumb hat other than killing him?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah there's hints at some shady bullshit that happened in the BoS between games, the end result is that they're basically just another flavor of badguy now.

I'm fine watching them burn.

Same with the Institute.

It's mentioned that Maxson was appointed by the western BoS elders. He's not even an elder in the eyes of the greater BoS organization. He's a toady that's riding on the history of his family (He's the last one of one of the families that helped found the BoS.) and the need to bring those rabble rousing dissidents back into the fold. Which translated to both him and the western BoS remnants basically crushing everything that made the eastern BoS so powerful in the first place.

Basically the western BoS are little better than the enclave. And given how trumped up every claim about him is they probably had a hand in the Lyon's getting offed. Or at least, Sarah and her supporters.

Edit: It also kind of puts his rhetoric in a new light. Sure, sure. You just decide to show up and fight an incredibly advanced organization under the auspices of "stopping them from destroying the world" when they've explicitly shown that they're no threat to you or the capital wasteland due to how they operate.

Heck, if you're paying close attention to their stated reasons for launching an invasion it even turns out that they're blowing a load of smoke up your rear end. IE: The signals that they claim are some sort of dangerous weapon the Institute is working on. Those signals they try to make seem so dangerous? It turns out that's the classic radio station. Which the Institute might or might not be broadcasting to the Commonwealth. So either they're dangerously inept or Maxson was trying to deflect and justify an invasion.

Never mind that when they were looking into the region there was no one other than the Institute present that could keep them from taking over. And the Institute has all sorts of nifty tech to steal. You restarting the Minutemen kind of hosed part of that whole deal up. Doubly so if you side with the Railroad or the Institute.

Between that and him urging his followers to be venomously/genocidally hateful towards synths, ghouls, and mutants as a scapegoat for how the world is he's putting on the Reich pretty hard.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 21, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Archonex posted:

Basically the western BoS are little better than the enclave. And given how trumped up every claim about him is they probably had a hand in the Lyon's getting offed. Or at least, Sarah and her supporters.

Honestly this mystery surrounding what really happened to Lyon's Pride and the previous Elder makes me think there'll be a Return to DC DLC at some point

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Ha, so when I look through a scope, it ports my character back by the zoom distance. Looked through the scope and I was like WTF why am I on top of this grain harvester.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So the Railway Rifle doesn't have a star next to the name or anything, are there any unique or legendary versions of it?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

Ha, so when I look through a scope, it ports my character back by the zoom distance. Looked through the scope and I was like WTF why am I on top of this grain harvester.

That's almost as disorienting as the camera glitch where the neutral position gets set 90 degrees down from forward, so you can see in front of you if you look all the way up, and if you look all the way down your vision rotates through your body and you wind up looking at the world upside down through the back of your head.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Archonex posted:

Basically the western BoS are little better than the enclave.
it's pretty bizarre that these guys still exist too considering it's like 6 years after NV and the whole point of them and the enclave was to show that extremely well equipped small factions still got hosed by the NCR just being an actual state and that the brotherhood was basically extinct on the west coast

also it kinda sucks that characters don't change facial expressions during combat anymore but at the very least it allows for some silly screenshots like this raider just givin' a "look at this rear end in a top hat" face in the middle of being tossed to death

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fereydun posted:

it's pretty bizarre that these guys still exist too considering it's like 6 years after NV and the whole point of them and the enclave was to show that extremely well equipped small factions still got hosed by the NCR just being an actual state and that the brotherhood was basically extinct on the west coast

The difference is the west coast Brotherhood stuck to extremely rigid recruitment that basically consisted entirely of people born within the Brotherhood, if I remember correctly. The east coast has been actively recruiting new members so they aren't nearly as small as the force on the west. Also the east coast doesn't have any sort of unified NCR equivalent. Its still a bunch of tribe, raider, and settler groups of various sizes. If they all banded together they could probably beat the Brotherhood but as individual groups they just get wrecked by their advanced tech.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Internet Kraken posted:

The difference is the west coast Brotherhood stuck to extremely rigid recruitment that basically consisted entirely of people born within the Brotherhood, if I remember correctly. The east coast has been actively recruiting new members so they aren't nearly as small as the force on the west. Also the east coast doesn't have any sort of unified NCR equivalent. Its still a bunch of tribe, raider, and settler groups of various sizes. If they all banded together they could probably beat the Brotherhood but as individual groups they just get wrecked by their advanced tech.

Given the lore between all of the games I think it's heavily implied that the western BoS is basically just a bunch of heavily armed and dogmatic throwbacks holed up in one or two heavily fortified bunkers like some sort post-apocalyptic terrorist organization by the time Fallout 4 rolls around.

Which makes the western elders basically staging a coup and loving up the eastern Brotherhood of Steel so they could take it over by proxy and make them just as bigoted and dickish as they are even more egregious.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 21, 2015

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

randombattle posted:

If it's already fully completed I dunno if there is a way to restart the quest completely.

You could try

setstage (id) 1 and see if that reboots it.

Are you trying to undo mole rat disease on yourself?

No i somehow stuffed up the kitty quest so the next part that you can get that mole disease , so even just getting that to trigger would be good but the ingame console commands dont do anything

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Tons of the conflicts with BoS in the FO3 games basically boils down to "but but but we have TRADITIONS :bahgawd:!" and then a bunch of people die because they try ti improve things.

It was pretty telling that they forced the story in FO3 to include both the Enclave and the BoS by saying "oh well these are the special ones who just happened to make it over and are completely different in every way that matters but kinda not"

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Internet Kraken posted:

The whole thing with them in New Vegas was showing that their xenophobia and technophilia were ultimately their downfall; they kept being stuck in their 'mission' oblivious to the fact that the rest of the world was moving past them. Their whole mindset doesn't really survive past small populations and scavenged technology, much less so when they only recruit by blood.

One of the reasons I was willing to sort of cut its reemergence in FO4 some slack. They actively recruit from outside their ranks, and from groups that generally would have good reason to want to confiscate toys and murder the poo poo out of 'nonhumans.'

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I feel like my power armor is defective. I did the mission at Fort Hagen and the synths kept ripping through my T-51f. Seriously, one of the laser turrets was taking off ~15% HP per hit. I've had easier fights in my sturdy polymer combat armor. Then Fort Strong comes along and this time its T-60f that gets shredded by Super Mutants.

I thought I was supposed to be a walking tank, not just wearing clunky combat armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
How do I tab over to the list of requirements for a mod? My laser pistol has junk on the list I aparently don't have but I can't see what I'm missing.

• Locked thread