Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Picnic Princess posted:

Kids raised to be punished by violence turn into bullies and assholes later in life because violence is all they know so if we want to stop bullying in school we should stop promoting violence like spanking as a means of conflict resolution in the family.

Oh is that a can of worms I opened?

poo poo.

More like a can of whoop-rear end. :smith:

Edit: Content:

https://twitter.com/AmznMovieRevws/status/863066727646609408

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 08:45 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If space doesn't exist, shouldn't he have given it 0 stars?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I laughed

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kay Kessler posted:

If space doesn't exist, shouldn't he have given it 0 stars?

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

A real tankie would have called it the Anti-Fascist Wall.

wall? thats revisionist talk, comrade. antifaschistischer schutzwall= antifascist defensive rampart!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Whoops I'm the idiot, that was a quote from that other post. Sorry GRRL :downs:

It's only a sixer. I'll be sure to make it more obvious with the more spicy quotes like that

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sakurazuka posted:

That's a bad habit you have

It is indeed. I skimmed the prior few posts but missed that one somehow. I'm pretty embarrassed about it tbh.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's only a sixer. I'll be sure to make it more obvious with the more spicy quotes like that
:shobon:

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 13:34 on May 13, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

In case anyone didn't know: Captain Schettino didn't "make a mistake", he brought the ship way closer to the shore than was allowed on purpose to impress a girl who was on deck with him (and shouldn't have to, by the way, since she wasn't part of the command crew), and as a result smacked the ship into some submerged rocks. Then while everyone was scrambling to evacuate he was among the first people to get off and ran away, ignoring a direct order to get back on board and help coordinate the evacuation. As a result of his actions, thirty-three people died. Sixteen years is getting off lightly if you ask me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Kids raised to be punished by violence turn into bullies and assholes later in life because violence is all they know so if we want to stop bullying in school we should stop promoting violence like spanking as a means of conflict resolution in the family.

Oh is that a can of worms I opened?

poo poo.

I forget if I ever shared it in here but I remember a friend posting some image macro a long time ago of a wooden spoon and the text said "For most children, this is a kitchen tool, but for children of italian people, this is an immediate attitude adjustment" with the joke being that hahaha people beat their kids with random items because lol abusing your kid and scaring them is funny.

She was upset that I called the act of using a spoon to beat a child "abuse" but she clammed up real loving quick when I talked about my own mother breaking a wooden spoon across me and telling me that she would stop using the spoon to hit me because I wasn't worth the money it'd cost to replace it and any other items she'd break across my rear end.

These people get raised thinking that it's normal to get hit, that it's just ok. Yeah there's the argument of using a "light tap" as a means of saying "hey, cut it out" but it's still physical punishment. I went through all kinds of poo poo as a child, like (spoilered so people can just skip if they want for the first several years of my life on this earth, my nightly ritual consisted of my dad getting mad at me because my mom turned the tv on for me to watch at night til I could get to sleep and he'd chase me around the bed until he could finally catch me, pin me down, and hit me with the belt or the switch) and seeing these kinds of people defend this kind of behavior is just disgusting to me on so many levels because I must have just been "unlucky" and gotten one of the "bad ones" as opposed to just admitting that maybe hitting your kids isn't a good thing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I forget if I ever shared it in here but I remember a friend posting some image macro a long time ago of a wooden spoon and the text said "For most children, this is a kitchen tool, but for children of italian people, this is an immediate attitude adjustment" with the joke being that hahaha people beat their kids with random items because lol abusing your kid and scaring them is funny.

She was upset that I called the act of using a spoon to beat a child "abuse" but she clammed up real loving quick when I talked about my own mother breaking a wooden spoon across me and telling me that she would stop using the spoon to hit me because I wasn't worth the money it'd cost to replace it and any other items she'd break across my rear end.

These people get raised thinking that it's normal to get hit, that it's just ok. Yeah there's the argument of using a "light tap" as a means of saying "hey, cut it out" but it's still physical punishment. I went through all kinds of poo poo as a child, like (spoilered so people can just skip if they want for the first several years of my life on this earth, my nightly ritual consisted of my dad getting mad at me because my mom turned the tv on for me to watch at night til I could get to sleep and he'd chase me around the bed until he could finally catch me, pin me down, and hit me with the belt or the switch) and seeing these kinds of people defend this kind of behavior is just disgusting to me on so many levels because I must have just been "unlucky" and gotten one of the "bad ones" as opposed to just admitting that maybe hitting your kids isn't a good thing.

I'm so sorry, FirstAidKite.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I work close to the city so all my co-workers are pro corporal punishment. I can only shake my head. Too many lean on it because they don't know how to parent their kids.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh good please not the spanking derail.

Maybe we can have gun chat instead?

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I work close to the city so all my co-workers are pro corporal punishment. I can only shake my head. Too many lean on it because they don't know how to parent their kids.

Really any form of negative reinforcement just isn't that effective compared to positive. Anybody who has worked with animals knows this already, you want to teach something, you reward good behaviors.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/863208286069415937

Hot takes on Beauty and the Beast.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nobody gets Cucked in the entire movie. Gaston is a Chad as gently caress though. But wrong autistic worldview from that redpill, not incel.

However.

Gaston is the hero.
Bell gets Stockholm Syndrome.

Real hot take.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

:saddowns:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

These people get raised thinking that it's normal to get hit, that it's just ok. Yeah there's the argument of using a "light tap" as a means of saying "hey, cut it out" but it's still physical punishment.

And when people are doing physical punishment, they aren't these cool, collected adults. They are pissed off and want to punish. I've never seen a 'light tap' spanking or light any other physical punishment. The entire premise is that it works because it physically HURTS. They only trot that out 'light tap' and 'its about startling them, not pain' when they are called out on it being lovely parenting.

FirstAidKite posted:

I went through all kinds of poo poo as a child, like (spoilered so people can just skip if they want for the first several years of my life on this earth, my nightly ritual consisted of my dad getting mad at me because my mom turned the tv on for me to watch at night til I could get to sleep and he'd chase me around the bed until he could finally catch me, pin me down, and hit me with the belt or the switch) and seeing these kinds of people defend this kind of behavior is just disgusting to me on so many levels because I must have just been "unlucky" and gotten one of the "bad ones" as opposed to just admitting that maybe hitting your kids isn't a good thing.

I'm sorry you went through that.

OutsideAngel posted:

Really any form of negative reinforcement just isn't that effective compared to positive. Anybody who has worked with animals knows this already, you want to teach something, you reward good behaviors.

Negative reinforcement is when you remove something after a behavior to reward the behavior (e.g., washing your hands to remove something nasty). Spanking and other physical 'discipline' is positive punishment - adding an aversive after the behavior to reduce the behavior.

Your point still stands, though. There's so, so much research that the use of punishment is inferior to reinforcement-based methods of teaching/parenting/training. Hitting your kid when he does something wrong doesn't teach him what you actually want him to do, so you're setting him up to do something else wrong, which you hit him for, etc. And, all the while, you're teaching him that hitting people to get your way is the right thing to do.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bombadilillo posted:

Nobody gets Cucked in the entire movie. Gaston is a Chad as gently caress though. But wrong autistic worldview from that redpill, not incel.

However.

Gaston is the hero.
Bell gets Stockholm Syndrome.

Real hot take.

I feel like the new B&tB went a little out of its way to emphasize Gaston being the villain and the Beast and Belle building a real and mutual relationship. Maybe some day the internet will tire of their hot takes on Stockholm syndrome.

But I doubt it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

"Light tap," my rear end. Spanking hurts. It's supposed to hurt. That's the point. If it doesn't hurt, how is it supposed to work?

My parents spanked me when I was young. I'm pretty sure I was the only one of my sisters to ever be spanked, because I was the oldest and my parents were still working out how to be parents. It was the early eighties, it was still reasonably accepted that that's how you discipline your child when they misbehave, so they spanked me. A few years back I talked about this with my father, and he said that they stopped because they realised spanking wasn't helping. It only escalated the issue because I would become hysterically angry about being spanked. I recall being overwhelmed with WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME and screaming louder because I was still upset about the first thing I was being spanked for, and the spanking, which not only hurt but felt like a betrayal, and I basically blue screened into some sort of anguished rage typhoon. I was too small to put into words why I was upset which was typically why I was tantruming enough to be spanked in the first place.

But I think a lot of people just can't conceive of non-spanking discipline, because that's all they ever experienced. That's pretty sad, I think.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like the new B&tB went a little out of its way to emphasize Gaston being the villain and the Beast and Belle building a real and mutual relationship. Maybe some day the internet will tire of their hot takes on Stockholm syndrome.

But I doubt it.

Now it's gay propaganda with all sorts of sordid things happening in it because an actor mentioned the toady's man crush on Gaston

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But I doubt it.

Lindsay Ellis doesn't even agree that the original was Stockholm syndromesque, and I think she makes a good case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYCO0QVkZo

Speaking of unhealthy relationships and toxic masculinity, though:

https://twitter.com/DannyMoralesss/status/863208689615982592

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pinned tweet

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:lol: at all the replies saying this is a cool and good way to behave

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fathis Munk posted:

:lol: at all the replies saying this is a cool and good way to behave

Yeah, in Saudi Arabia maybe.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Also laughing at the person who thinks she's not wearing any makeup because it's not overboard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Picnic Princess posted:

Also laughing at the person who thinks she's not wearing any makeup because it's not overboard.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lindsay Ellis doesn't even agree that the original was Stockholm syndromesque, and I think she makes a good case:

Is he wearing a wig?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
His Twitter feed is nothing but reposts of people sharing that tweet and complimenting his jawline. It's bizarre.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Click on the actual tweet and all of the responses are laughing at him

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
http://i.imgur.com/lKvgfEK.gifv

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Somebody was way ahead of you:

https://twitter.com/thatguyafaq/status/863366274860109825

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Honestly, any hot take that isn't "lol Stockholm syndrome" (which Lindsay Ellis argued against, quite convincingly I might add) is at least trying.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm the buttoned bottom button of the suit

and also his pants which are tucked into his shoes

zoom in I'm not kidding

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeris posted:

zoom in I'm not kidding

I think I'm going to stay zoomed out, thank you very much.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Zeris posted:

zoom in I'm not kidding

I can forgive the bottom button thing because some people just don't know. Nothing can defend the pants-tucking though.

Also the whole weird incestuous vibe thing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Classic.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Can we just put this in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Can we just put this in the OP

It should still have been posted as it is the 1 year anniversary and deserves to be celebrated :toot: