Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i disagree on the lawyer v engineer argument on iso 3166 (the standards body is absurdly consistent on its usage in practice), but it's mainly simple data quality issues that are being brought up lately as that's where i started looking. start with the inane stuff that should be easy to surface across any CA for conformity and then work on the more complex cases

at the rate things are going e-commerce monitoring gmbh is going to be distrusted before entrust even puts together their report

I could sworn you were the one that mentioned the lawyer v engineer thing but I couldn’t find itt

anyway the bigger point is that there is obvious remediation issues that should be done, and they’re just ignoring them (this applies to both Entrust and E-Commerce)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hellotoothpaste posted:

I have a dumb question probably. How is it that a lot of the incident reports are related to poo poo like “country code was lowercase” and all sorts of inane-sounding data quality issues? Genuinely curious and coming from blockchain so no answer will surprise me.

minor little mistakes like these happen all the time. sometimes it's misinterpreting ambiguous parts of the spec, sometimes it's a bug in the linters, sometimes they didn't validate user-entered info enough, sometimes it's just a simple mistake

usually it's not a big deal. they file incident reports because the rules say they have to, but everyone understands that it's not a big deal and no real threat to anyone. they tweak their cert-generation a bit, report the issue so everyone else can check and make sure they're not making the same mistake, and everyone moves on without making a big deal out of it

but the rules also say they have to revoke certificates with mistakes, no matter how minor the mistakes are. customers generally find this to be annoying, and will make excuses and say it's just too hard to do now and they'll take care of it later when they have some spare time. CAs are unwilling to push their paying customers on it, and will pretend to believe those excuses

the problem is that being unable to handle a revoke-and-reissue on short notice is a big deal, since that's also what they would need to do in the case of a huge mistake that poses a serious threat. everyone's supposed to have procedures in place to make sure they can quickly and easily handle a revocation event, so they're not caught flat-footed if some kind of major compromise happens. so when customers start claiming that replacing a cert is a huge hardship that takes months of work to do, that's a Major Concern, because it's absolutely essential that they have the ability to handle a rapid revocation. and if the CA is unwilling to put their foot down against that, then they're part of the problem, and are neglecting the considerable responsibilities they hold as a CA

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

so there’s a few things at play here:

1. incidents are (generally) not a bad thing. in theory it should allow for the ecosystem as a whole to be stronger
2. for the country code thing, one spec was written by lawyers, one spec was written by engineers

lawyers: "the country code must match what is defined for country. US = us"
engineers: "MUST SHALL etc to be treated as RFC2119. country code in cert MUST match country code as defined in blah blah blah. US != us"

i figured it was to prevent typographic style attacks or misdirections, so that there won't be valid certs from us, US, Us, and uS. only the US cert can possibly be valid.

actually, typing that out, sounds like some more of those standards should be enforced on the browser side.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol email us at feedback@slack.com, the same address we use for ignoring angry emails from computer touchers whenever we change the CSS

via https://awscommunity.social/@Quinnypig/112452921509401306

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but speaking of different CAs here's the issues i've found that are public so far. i don't have a background in x509 or linting, or reading the BRs. that i can pluck these without any special access, knowledge, or tools should be concerning for the people claiming to be auditors
2024-05-10: Telia: Certificates Issued with lower case value in subject:countryName
2024-05-10: D-Trust: Issuance of an EV certificate containing a mixup of the Subject's postalCode and localityName
2024-05-14: Telia: Delayed revocation of seven (7) certificates related to incident 1896108
2024-05-14: SECOM: Certificates Issued with lower case value in subject:countryName

there's a bigger secom issue in the pipeline but they need to talk to their software provider, they also didn't make the 72h incident report timeline for the above issue or their upcoming one
secom are in the process of publishing their incident atm:
2024-05-17: SECOM: Difference in upper and lower case between CN field and SAN

to be clear it's that the subject common name and SAN don't match character-for-character, been a requirement since 2021, and a lint has existed since then making it obvious that there's an error. i gave them 24 i found, but there's 37 in their list

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

secom are in the process of publishing their incident atm:
2024-05-17: SECOM: Difference in upper and lower case between CN field and SAN

to be clear it's that the subject common name and SAN don't match character-for-character, been a requirement since 2021, and a lint has existed since then making it obvious that there's an error. i gave them 24 i found, but there's 37 in their list

man you need a gang tag

"I ended a certificate authority: SECFUCK LEAD FUCKER"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
is there a reason CT logs or CT monitors don't lint certs

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

is there a reason CT logs or CT monitors don't lint certs
they do, no one told them about this for years for some reason. there's censys.io and crt.sh which are the big public monitors that allow for multiple linters to be run. although censys runs a linter at issuance so if it's out of date then it won't be flagged in a broader search

the big mess of issues in march was a linting experiment, but we don't officially know if it was a personal program or google's root program directly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what if browser vendors said "from so-and-so date, we will no longer consider certs that fail these basic linter checks as valid, even if they come from a trusted CA"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

what if browser vendors said "from so-and-so date, we will no longer consider certs that fail these basic linter checks as valid, even if they come from a trusted CA"

that's basically what I said.

maybe call it twoCRL

ok that was a joke but seriously why give these CA people so much slack?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
presumably because if browser nerds break enough infrastructure (such as a few banks for a few days) lawmakers will get angry. "why should silicon valley people with no oversight have control over our precious deutsche bank?" is a somewhat valid question for an MEP to ask

move slow and break things

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Thanks for the context, makes sense to me and neat to sit on the sidelines and see y’all have this level of patience. I’d have flipped out by now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spankmeister posted:

that's basically what I said.

i cant read

NFX posted:

presumably because if browser nerds break enough infrastructure (such as a few banks for a few days) lawmakers will get angry. "why should silicon valley people with no oversight have control over our precious deutsche bank?" is a somewhat valid question for an MEP to ask

move slow and break things

sure move slow, hence "from some date in the future"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

everything I've ever seen in tech screams "Shake hands with danger"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

doing some quick math:

quote:

• We are working with 944 customer accounts to revoke and re-issue 26,668 affected EV certificates. Here is a summary of our progress as of this posting:

quote:

We are working diligently with our customers to complete revocation of affected certificates. Over 95% of customers have completed revocation. We have 9,906 certificates remaining within the following four (4) industries: Financial Institutions (6,940 certificates), Government Agencies (170 certificates), Information Technology (46 certificates), and Travel (Airline) (2,750 certificates). All are scheduled to be revoked within the next 20 days with limited exceptions as required.

now I'm not good at numbers but I feel like that 95% there is to hide the fact that more than a third are still outstanding

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"Chungwa Telecom posted:

In the event of similar incidents in the future, we will first assess whether they relate to key access security. If it is a major security issue, we will promptly report to the government and comply with BR regulations by revoking all certificates. However, if it involves only changes to the certificate fields and does not pertain to major security issues, we will explain the reason for the bug here. After confirming the schedule with the government, we will proceed with phased and batch revocations to ensure the availability of government websites is not affected.

GTLSCA stands for Government TLS CA, a TLS CA operated by Chunghwa Telecom under the commission of the government. It is responsible for issuing certificates to domestic government agency websites and browser services. The government retains the right to commission and may also entrust other qualified operators to manage the CA.

If the government forces us to maliciously issue certificates for DNS names, we will follow the BR validation process. If the DNS name instructed by the government cannot pass validation, we will not be able to issue the certificate to the government. All records will be preserved, and neither the government nor we can unilaterally issue certificates.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I love how that's a Jorgenson clamp, and you have a 50/50 chance of making it looser by cranking down on the wrong handle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dont get chungwa, get funwa!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Where we got lucky

We can take this opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the problem reporting process and use Bugzilla to document issues.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

the ironic thing is how much all of this discussion is making me actively suspicious of browsers in general

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Main Paineframe posted:

Where we got lucky

We can take this opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the problem reporting process and use Bugzilla to document issues.

:thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hellotoothpaste posted:

the ironic thing is how much all of this discussion is making me actively suspicious of browsers in general

lol if u dont think theyre the largest attack surface on ur computer

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

quote:

All are scheduled to be revoked within the next 20 days with limited exceptions as required.

Someone ask them what the limited exceptions are, for each individual and limited exception, and of course which BR grants the aforementioned exception.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SeaborneClink posted:

Someone ask them what the limited exceptions are, for each individual and limited exception, and of course which BR grants the aforementioned exception.

does "idk i dont feel like it" count?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Carthag Tuek posted:

does "idk i dont feel like it" count?

it worked for entrust for half a decade

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bonfire Lit posted:

it worked for entrust for half a decade

hell yea carthag.trusted.ca here we come

e: .CA

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I really really really hope that Mozilla and the other root programs take action and that this leads to the distrust of several CAs. Given how easy it seems
to be to find a CA that isn’t willing to follow the rules this feels like a real moment of truth for webPKI as a whole.

maybe this is an influence operation to ruin https everywhere :nsa:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

seems fine to me, unironically, unless that account has dangerous privileges

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

seems fine to me, unironically, unless that account has dangerous privileges

it’s just Conceptually kind of stupid

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean, in that if you controlled the software completely you could make it invisibly run as that user, but otherwise it’s just kiosk mode with a bit more typing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would have made the username and password much shorter, though

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Subjunctive posted:

I would have made the username and password much shorter, though

sorry we have audit requirements and standard we have to meet on password security, can't make it too easy to guess!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

I mean, in that if you controlled the software completely you could make it invisibly run as that user, but otherwise it’s just kiosk mode with a bit more typing

yeah public kiosk mode is fine but at that point just hardcode it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah public kiosk mode is fine but at that point just hardcode it

yeah I bet the people who set it up don’t have that capability (or permission), but also I suspect you can log into that interface with non-public user credentials as well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I bet the people who set it up don’t have that capability (or permission), but also I suspect you can log into that interface with non-public user credentials as well

that’s what the interface suggests, but it’s still so jarring

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

zero knowledge posted:

also c'mon Cloudflare it's 2024 why do all your products still say "SSL" in them?

rather late but you code switch somewhat when marketing poo poo to, idk, southeast asia or brasil. the latest and greatest technical terms in english have a much slower bake time to places that speak less english and have less of a domestic tech industry. there's both slower language propagation factor and an "lots of people are still using ancient phones running android 9 or some poo poo" factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

over 3 billion devices run cobol