Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've rebuilt 3 of those engines as a tech and even I couldn't justify buying one.

I have a hard time seeing the advantage over a normal lift, and the drawbacks are pretty big imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

iirc those are customized on a per model basis, so they’re really good but really expensive

Nah the centre of it is just a standard Abba stand so you only need to buy new bobbins (~£20) for each bike, or you can buy a complete set for about 150 quid. Not *cheap*, but when you've already laid out the money for the lift, not really that expensive.

Slavvy posted:

I have a hard time seeing the advantage over a normal lift, and the drawbacks are pretty big imo.

For me at least the big advantage is that it works quickly and simply in a small space. Basically you can use it just about anywhere you can park the bike - my small garden makes even conventional front and back stands extremely awkward to use. I've got the conventional stand with the little trolley attachment so I can shift the bike around as needed.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what regular maintenance requires hoisting the bike above ground level? i've never had a situation where i even wanted one of those shop lifts that lift them to hip level

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Razzled posted:

what regular maintenance requires hoisting the bike above ground level? i've never had a situation where i even wanted one of those shop lifts that lift them to hip level

You must be young and/or ride high-clearance adv bikes.

If you're old and/or ride low cruisers, even an oil change sucks, the drain plug is sometimes like 4 inches from the floor, requiring you to slither around on the ground. Even getting the bike a foot off the ground makes things a lot easier.

Edit: Though I agree, hip level probably isn't a necessity for regular maintenance.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 2, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

epalm posted:

You must be young and/or ride high-clearance adv bikes.

If you're old and/or ride low cruisers, even an oil change sucks, the drain plug is sometimes like 4 inches from the floor, requiring you to slither around on the ground. Even getting the bike a foot off the ground makes things a lot easier.

Edit: Though I agree, hip level probably isn't a necessity for regular maintenance.

Razzled is used to having to repair DRZs.

But yeah, even high clearance dual sports are nicer to work on when they’re an extra 8” up. Wheels come off really quickly, monkeying with clutch stuff is easier, brake jobs are easier both because you’re not bending over and because the suspension extends, creating even more vertical distance between caliper and master cylinder for easier fluid management in the lines. Also if you have a drop light or similar, it’s easier to get light up into the bike wherever you’re working.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 2, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have that Abba sky lift - they sell a mechanic's kit that comes with a shitload of different pins, but you will still need extra bits for some bikes.This was not made clear until after I'd already purchased said lift and needed pins or swingarm bobbins for all three of my bikes. If you have a metal lathe you could easily make your own, but I was hosed (either buy the extra bits or pay $100+ for return shipping).

Slavvy posted:

The legs are easily rolled under cabinets, etc. so the lift doesn't take up a dedicated .5m x 1.5m space in the garage unless there's a bike on it. Expensive as it is, it's still cheaper than most bike lifts I've seen that aren't from Harbor Freight. Those start around $700 and get north of $1k quickly. The Abba lift probably isn't something you'd want in a professional garage - for example, it's useless if you have to remove the swingarm, since that's where it lifts the bike - but it works OK for me at home. It's great for tire and oil changes, and it's super easy to move my FZ-09 around when it's on the lift for the winter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like it'd be convenient if you have one or two bikes but if you work on loads it's more trouble than it's worth.

Plus it has no convenient surface to pile parts and tools on!

I have the Abba manual stand assembly thingy that you put together, it's capable of lifting both wheels an inch off the ground using the swingarm pivot, uses that same kit of fitting adapters as the big one. I mostly use it for doing steering/fork stuff on awkward bikes and taking the back wheel off of SSAs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Considering buying GPS/GSM tracker boxes for my FZ1 and DRZ this year. I'm in the US, suspect region has something to do with it. Brands to look for? avoid?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Considering buying GPS/GSM tracker boxes for my FZ1 and DRZ this year. I'm in the US, suspect region has something to do with it. Brands to look for? avoid?

There's a YouTube channel I subscribe to called AutomatricsMTrack who do theft recovery videos. They seem to be pro as gently caress. I think that mTrack is their US/International brand, you might look into that. Seems like it might be expensive as gently caress but it's, theft recovery as a service.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Is this for you to track your bikes or for someone else to track you? Because there are devices for each but they’re different in design and intent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is this for you to track your bikes or for someone else to track you? Because there are devices for each but they’re different in design and intent.

Road Angel/Biketrac (which I *think* is a UK-only brand) allows you to do both - you can allow other people to access your location (although that's more conveniently done via Google Maps IMO) but it also does theft detection both through movement detection and geofencing (so you turn off the movement detection when working on the bike but if someone manages to steal it in that time you still get a notification). It also does crash detection and will ring up to three numbers if it detects a crash (they ring you first, then if no answer will ring the numbers you give and tell them that they've detected a crash and give the location - they themselves won't ring the emergency services for legal reasons). It also, handily for Italian bike owners, can text you if the battery voltage drops below a predetermined point.

There's another company I can't remember the name of that resells their kit who will also do the recovery bit for you (UK police pretty much don't give a poo poo about recovering stolen vehicles unless they're pretty much dropped into their lap).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sat on a lot of bikes at the international something or other bike show in Toronto today. Never been on a supersport before and was entirely unprepared for how leaned forward you are. It’s one thing to hear it and one thing to feel like you’re lying on the tank. Was also unprepared for how many bikes have various bits and pieces that really got in the way of a comfortable sit. Whether it’s things jabbing you in the thighs or uncomfortable square seats or just general weird ergonomics. Definitely not a majority but I was surprised by a lot. One of the Ducati models I sat on had some weird small round pegs that protruded directly into my thighs just above my knee. Not sure what that was about.

Putting my butt on such a variety was pretty eye opening.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 5, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yahuh. sometimes i'll go to the dealer and sit on a brand new $15,000 200hp ducati and feel like i'm straddling a fence, and go back to my $1500 CL350 with thirty horsepower and it's just ahhhhhhhhhhh what a lovely squishy ride this is

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Modern bikes took all the suspension out of the seat and tyres, and put it in the suspension instead. Unfortunately they all seem to think this means a plank for a seat is acceptable. Particularly strange in light of the obsession with NVH reduction, even mediocre middleweights have vibration damping weights and rubber stuff everywhere but nobody can be bothered trying to improve on a hunk of foam.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sat on an older Rebel 250 too and that had probably the most comfortable bike seat of everything my rear end touched today. Felt downright luxurious.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beach Bum posted:

There's a YouTube channel I subscribe to called AutomatricsMTrack who do theft recovery videos. They seem to be pro as gently caress. I think that mTrack is their US/International brand, you might look into that. Seems like it might be expensive as gently caress but it's, theft recovery as a service.

That's exactly what inspired me. Love their channel. Thanks!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Track my DRZ which will inevitably be stolen from my back yard despite disc lock and cover. Livin in the hood, yo. I'll put one on the FZ1 too, but that's the secondary concern - nobody looks twice at a fizzer for some reason.

Martytoof posted:

I sat on an older Rebel 250 too and that had probably the most comfortable bike seat of everything my rear end touched today. Felt downright luxurious.

I still have fond memories of the nighthawk 250 that i plopped around the MSF course and would absolutely grab one for a gas-station-run shitterbike. It was SUPER comfy.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

One of the Ducati models I sat on had some weird small round pegs that protruded directly into my thighs just above my knee. Not sure what that was about.

Assuming that's the Monster (not sure if any other models share the frame) that's a completely incomprehensible little design touch, making the frame mount protrude a cm or so out from the tank. The one thing I will say is that (along with the leaned-forward nature of sports bikes) it's considerably less noticeable when you're actually riding than when you're just sitting on it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Track my DRZ which will inevitably be stolen from my back yard despite disc lock and cover. Livin in the hood, yo. I'll put one on the FZ1 too, but that's the secondary concern - nobody looks twice at a fizzer for some reason.

If you have any concrete in that yard (or are willing to dig a hole and fill it with concrete) get a ground anchor and chain your bike to that. Still vulnerable of course, but at least they'll need some tools rather than just lifting it up like they can with a disk lock.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you have any concrete in that yard (or are willing to dig a hole and fill it with concrete) get a ground anchor and chain your bike to that. Still vulnerable of course, but at least they'll need some tools rather than just lifting it up like they can with a disk lock.

How much concrete would you need, approximately?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

How much concrete would you need, approximately?
1 bag/80#/third of a yard

That will fill a posthole about a foot deep, and if you put pieces of rebar in cross ways into the dirt either side of it, it’ll really be an anchor.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've got a 6x12 foot concrete pad that I can park them on - it's just full cause I haven't gotten rid of the Ninja yet. Good thinking, i'll pick up an anchor and some good chains. Kryptonite i assume best bet?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Still vulnerable of course, but at least they'll need some tools

First thing i thought of in Lidl the other day was , 'wow thats cheap.' followed by 'man, nothing is safe. 100 quid for a complete steal any bike kit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt8qbatbprA

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Angle grinders are loving loud though, and still take some time to go through thick chains, most thieves aren't going to go for that unless they're certain nobody's around or there's enough of them that they think they can intimidate you and all your neighbours into staying indoors and not interfering.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Never been on a supersport before and was entirely unprepared for how leaned forward you are. It’s one thing to hear it and one thing to feel like you’re lying on the tank.

It can be kind of nice on long rides if you're in an area without too much traffic, you can lie on the tank to rest. Although you probably wouldn't need to rest if you weren't in the leaned forward position all the time

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Angle grinders are loving loud though, and still take some time to go through thick chains, most thieves aren't going to go for that unless they're certain nobody's around or there's enough of them that they think they can intimidate you and all your neighbours into staying indoors and not interfering.

Yeah, it's the old wildlife cameramen joke*. You can't make your bike unstealable, you just need to make it less stealable then the next one.

* Two cameramen are taking pictures of a pride of lions on the Serengeti. All of a sudden the largest male turns and looks directly at them, and lets out a blood-curdling roar. One of the cameramen puts his camera down, reaches into his bag, and pulls out a pair of Reeboks. As he takes off his boots and laces up the running shoes, the other cameraman turns to him and says "Lions can run at up to 30 miles per hour, you're never going to outrun one of them even in those". The first cameraman shrugs and says "No, but I can outrun you."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah just stay above the air cushion speed and you don't get tired.

What do you mean that's like 180kmh??

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do any of you guys mount cameras to your bikes and shoot crazy poo poo like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvf0MXV3Asg

I've got a similar 360-degree camera - a GoPro Fusion, which apparently was the inferior choice to have made against the Insta360, some friends have told me. I want to shoot and edit some cool footage this coming riding season. It seems like the kind of rigs used to shoot videos like the above are just poles mounted a few feet from the bike but I'm not sure where to start, or if I'm comfortable putting one that far off the side of a my GSX-R (and it might just look crappy with a shorter pole shooting closer to the bike). I'm looking at stuff on RAM Mounts' website but doubly unsure because it seems like GoPro don't produce the Fusion anymore (maybe friendo was right) and as such it's not in the compatibility list - do all GoPros use the same threaded mount? Will a >3ft pole be necessary to get good framing of the bike?

Another thing I'm curious about is using a gyroscopic camera stabilizer for that real MotoGP angle, mounted somewhere up the tank or behind the seat facing forward. I imagine these are prohibitively expensive. I've got a little Sony action cam with a standard threaded base like any camera but it's probably not worth it especially considering it wouldn't see much but my dark double bubble windscreen or my rear end. I'll probably stick with the helmet mount for that one.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 11, 2020

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Do any of you guys mount cameras to your bikes and shoot crazy poo poo like this?

I've got a similar 360-degree camera - a GoPro Fusion, which apparently was the inferior choice to have made against the Insta360, some friends have told me. I want to shoot and edit some cool footage this coming riding season. It seems like the kind of rigs used to shoot videos like the above are just poles mounted a few feet from the bike but I'm not sure where to start, or if I'm comfortable putting one that far off the side of a my GSX-R (and it might just look crappy with a shorter pole shooting closer to the bike). I'm looking at stuff on RAM Mounts' website but doubly unsure because it seems like GoPro don't produce the Fusion anymore (maybe friendo was right) and as such it's not in the compatibility list - do all GoPros use the same threaded mount? Will a >3ft pole be necessary to get good framing of the bike?

Another thing I'm curious about is using a gyroscopic camera stabilizer for that real MotoGP angle, mounted somewhere up the tank or behind the seat facing forward. I imagine these are prohibitively expensive. I've got a little Sony action cam with a standard threaded base like any camera but it's probably not worth it especially considering it wouldn't see much but my dark double bubble windscreen or my rear end. I'll probably stick with the helmet mount for that one.

This isn’t helpful, but there was a poster a few years ago who was working on a homebrew MotoGP tail camera with his dad. All I remember is he had a cartoon jet for an avatar. I think the prototypes they’d made worked decently and maybe they were trying to commercialize it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that dude wearing underwear over his leathers?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was really confused about how they shot that video at first, thinking there must be another bike or a drone or something until I spotted the shadow and realised the camera is on a pole on the fireblade, and the pole has been edited out of the video.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This, on the other hand, is awesome drone bike cooperation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0oJW7tq3Q

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ought ten posted:

This isn’t helpful, but there was a poster a few years ago who was working on a homebrew MotoGP tail camera with his dad. All I remember is he had a cartoon jet for an avatar. I think the prototypes they’d made worked decently and maybe they were trying to commercialize it?

RevenantEagle

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I've got the Garmin Virb 360 and while the editing software is a little clunky (and glacially slow at rendering) it does use the GPS and accelerometer data to give you a very solid horizon-stabilised video. I just mount it to the top of my helmet because I'm not particularly interested in seeing the bike or myself in the video, but that's a personal choice obviously.

I've seen a few people using monopod extenders (i.e. a monopod with two 1/4" nuts at each end) to go between a handlebar or mirror mount and the camera mounting to give you a view that's high and offset enough to give you close to 360 degrees of scenery/other bikes, but still lets you see yourself, the bike, and your sweet riding form, you narcissist. Of course you have to be careful with how and where you secure it - that extra leverage means that you'll have to do the bottom mount up *extremely* tight, which risks damaging whatever you mount it to (a bit of old inner tube wrapped around the bar will help mitigate that by both spreading the load and increasing the friction so you don't have to over-tighten. The RAM GoPro mount is basically this but shorter, although you do get the additional flexibility of the RAM mount itself.

Also yes, all GoPros use the same standard mount, and if there's any peculiarities with the dimensions of the camera making the standard mounts not fit, you can pick up one of those bumper packs of cheap knockoff Chinese mounts and something in there will fit it. In fact pick one of them up anyway because the 1/4" tripod to GoPro mounts are amazingly useful for working out this sort of weird mounting situation.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KlERf4nm4 is an example of the 360 output from the camera - I've not bothered to actually edit it down properly or sort out the sound because of that clunky interface though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF30jf1KkJU is an example of what the editing software can do with rendering it down into 2D (I particularly love the filtering bits at 17 minutes)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 11, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KlERf4nm4 is an example of the 360 output from the camera - I've not bothered to actually edit it down properly or sort out the sound because of that clunky interface though.
Oh cool, I'd seen a couple of those on Youtube and didn't really know what they were or how they worked. Bet you could do some really amazing editing stuff with that.

Like this guy

Mister Speaker posted:

He does some crazy good editing and filming, a shame he's kind of a knobhead.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen a few people using monopod extenders (i.e. a monopod with two 1/4" nuts at each end) to go between a handlebar or mirror mount and the camera mounting to give you a view that's high and offset enough to give you close to 360 degrees of scenery/other bikes, but still lets you see yourself, the bike, and your sweet riding form, you narcissist. Of course you have to be careful with how and where you secure it - that extra leverage means that you'll have to do the bottom mount up *extremely* tight, which risks damaging whatever you mount it to (a bit of old inner tube wrapped around the bar will help mitigate that by both spreading the load and increasing the friction so you don't have to over-tighten. The RAM GoPro mount is basically this but shorter, although you do get the additional flexibility of the RAM mount itself.

Also yes, all GoPros use the same standard mount, and if there's any peculiarities with the dimensions of the camera making the standard mounts not fit, you can pick up one of those bumper packs of cheap knockoff Chinese mounts and something in there will fit it. In fact pick one of them up anyway because the 1/4" tripod to GoPro mounts are amazingly useful for working out this sort of weird mounting situation.

This is excellent info, thanks! I still have to figure out exactly what mounting solution to go with, because I just got a RAM Mount for my phone and I suppose that's going to occupy the triple tree center hole on my handlebars - are RAM Mounts modular to any degree? From looking at their product line it seems like a lot of it shares at least the ball joint in common. Can I pop off the top of the phone mount and apply the camera mount to it instead or is there going to be a whole uninstall/reinstall process? I'm not even sure I want to put the 360 camera in its place if I can - seems the best-looking solutions are, like you and I said, a pole a few feet out from the bike but I worry about it getting in my way on a bike like mine if it were coming directly off the bars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, RAM stuff generally uses thumbscrews on arms to connect a mount to a gadget. No tools needed (though I did replace the bolt on the arm that holds my phone mount to my bike with a Torx, just so people couldn't as easily swipe it)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Excellent! So I can just get another mount, undo the thumbscrew and replace the phone holder with some sort of arm for a camera whenever I want to do some shooting? That sounds pretty good. Trippy-rear end 360 video, here I come.

Seriously I was up until like 5AM watching that video I linked, it's so hypnotic.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mister Speaker posted:

Seriously I was up until like 5AM watching that video I linked, it's so hypnotic.

This is my hypno-vid

https://youtu.be/ff3Etpube2E

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep that's exactly how it works. I exclusively purchase RAM mounting stuff for crap like that; not only do I trust my fancy phone and camera to them on the bikes, but I have roughly 15 pounds of ham radios mounted via their stuff in my truck. Has never failed me, well worth the investment.

Plus then you can buy stupid comedy poo poo and troll people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jonny 290 posted:

Yep that's exactly how it works. I exclusively purchase RAM mounting stuff for crap like that; not only do I trust my fancy phone and camera to them on the bikes, but I have roughly 15 pounds of ham radios mounted via their stuff in my truck. Has never failed me, well worth the investment.

Plus then you can buy stupid comedy poo poo and troll people.

Finally.