Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

Contextualizing everything as "Tropes" seems to have done irreversible damage to people ability to analyze anything with any degree of merit.
The people who do that never knew how to analyse media. Whereas before thy learned about "tropes" they'd have fixated on "plot holes" or "unrealistic" elements, now they'll spot these named cliches and single them out instead (or as well). And honestly I think that's better than the people who got completely put off media analysis by the terrible way it's taught in highschool and just think the whole thing comes down to, essentially, arbitrary bullshit ("the blue flowers symbolise freedom or whatever, sure. :rolleyes:").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

But what do they say about the vegan alternatives?

I dunno but I've never been more dissapointed with a product than I was with Chao. Just make good food, stop pretending your soy bullshit is cheese, I'll eat Seitan, I'll eat Tofu and Tempeh. Stop trying to make burger and cheese and fish filet

Tiggum posted:

The people who do that never knew how to analyse media. Whereas before thy learned about "tropes" they'd have fixated on "plot holes" or "unrealistic" elements, now they'll spot these named cliches and single them out instead (or as well). And honestly I think that's better than the people who got completely put off media analysis by the terrible way it's taught in highschool and just think the whole thing comes down to, essentially, arbitrary bullshit ("the blue flowers symbolise freedom or whatever, sure. :rolleyes:").
Your probably right.

It sucks cause I love reading and analyzing that poo poo, but half the time you see people trying to shut down anything but the basest reading of anything. Or people refusing to engage with anything that is in the least bit controversial in interpretation. It feels very childish to me, the complete renunciation of anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
the old man was jesus and the sea was cum. The fish represented Gatsby's dream

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Everything is cum

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The butterflies that flew around Simon while he was in the clearing of the island jungle?
Cum.
The white whale Captain Ahab obsessively hunted?
Cum.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Contextualizing everything as "Tropes" seems to have done irreversible damage to people ability to analyze anything with any degree of merit. I couldn't care less if people dislike what I like, but seeing people dismiss entire works because they think they've identified a single unwelcome trope makes me livid.

That's a trope

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

PHUO: People really need to understand that you can dislike something and recognize that it's not objectively* bad. .

Whether it be movies, music, cars, or even cheese, if the subject isn't something you personally enjoy, it doesn't mean that it lacks any value and people who do enjoy it are somehow inferior because of that. It's definitely more of an Online thing, rarely do I encounter it in person, but it's so annoying.

I personally cannot stand Breaking Bad. I find the show to be wretched and I'll never watch any more than the amount I've seen to reach this conclusion. But, I'm not going to convince myself that it's a terrible trash show unworthy of any enjoyment. It's just not for me.

And people need to be more willing to say "I can see why others might like this, I can recognize its merits, but it's not to my taste." instead of being bitter and jaded and try and take away other people's fun.

*any time someone says a piece of entertainment is objectively bad when they mean subjectively, the device they're posting on should explode in their hands.

I mean I agree, but on the flipside there are works of media that are objectively bad at what they do, because film is a form of art and art can be good or bad. Some films fail to communicate their core concept effectively, some misuse film shorthand/language, some are just plain bad for a myriad of reasons.

That doesn't mean someone can't like that, or find it effective for them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone agrees that works can be objectively bad, right?

Mein Kampf is objectively bad.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Platystemon posted:

No they literally can't

You can pick a metric, then have an opinion on whether a work met whatever benchmark you came up with. But it will be an opinion and no one will care

I'm trying to think back to like fifth grade when we learned about objective vs subjective and I'm wonder what poor souls never had that lesson

Mrs. Watson needs to take her language arts class worldwide to keep people from being objectively wrong

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

alexandriao posted:

I mean I agree, but on the flipside there are works of media that are objectively bad at what they do, because film is a form of art and art can be good or bad. Some films fail to communicate their core concept effectively, some misuse film shorthand/language, some are just plain bad for a myriad of reasons.

That doesn't mean someone can't like that, or find it effective for them.

Oh for sure. If a movie keeps having a boom mic dip into screen, it's objectively bad. If it's a confusing mess (and not deliberately), it's objectively bad.

But the many people out there who try and say movies like Endgame or the Ghostbusters remake are objectively bad are wrong, and trying to put authority into their opinions.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Also I would say that things like South Park are objectively bad, simply because the show has led to the harm of marginalized people.

Nothing to say of the quality of the show itself, rather that its existence has caused harm.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jokes about 69 and 420 are deeply cheap and lazy and make me roll my eyes every time

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Jokes about 69 and 420 are deeply cheap and lazy and make me roll my eyes every time

not nice

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's actually good and cool to kill nazis, adult or baby, time travel or not.

Presumably eating another probe to say that Abba Kovner and Nakam were right to send those SS prisoners arsenic bread. The only regret a good person should have is that they didn't get more SS, maybe say six million or so.

Nazis aren't people and Nakam was right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
^^^^100%

also lmao that the mod in question thinks you can realistically separate germans from nazis in 1945 when the allies literally gave up on denazification trials because they realized they'd have to sentence millions upon millions

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Punkin Spunkin posted:

^^^^100%

also lmao that the mod in question thinks you can realistically separate germans from nazis in 1945 when the allies literally gave up on denazification trials because they realized they'd have to sentence millions upon millions

Well it's okay that you think that but that post was from three months ago friend

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well it's okay that you think that but that post was from three months ago friend

Yeah it was a different time, the jury was still out on nazis being good or bad.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

For the record I've never seen a single actual Chef or person well acquainted with cuisine poo poo on American Cheese, only self appointed foodies.

American cheese is perfect on a burger

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only cheeseburger i've ever eaten that was improved by non-american cheese was a green chile cheese burger in new mexico that used pepperjack cheese. Otherwise american cheese is pretty much the best cheeseburger cheese. The problem is everyone assumes that means "kraft singles" when it doesn't.

(that said, kraft singles are fine on a cheeseburger. Not great, but everyone knows the taste and it's fine.)

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Oct 27, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Platystemon posted:

Someone got sick of being called out for using the word "literally" incorrectly and so they just typed "literal synonym" into Google and kept on truckin'.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The juicy Lucy is a total waste of time to make. Tastes the same as a regular cheeseburer

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NYCs reputation as one of the greatest cities in the world is wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If I never have to step foot in even the state of new york, I won't regret it.

e: technically i was in JFK for a layover once but I don't count that. I didn't stay there long enough for the new yorkness to touch me

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Oct 27, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

oldpainless posted:

NYCs reputation as one of the greatest cities in the world is wrong.

New Yorkers have to insist that New York is in some way special because if it's not then all the poo poo they have to put up with for living there would be for nothing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh for sure. If a movie keeps having a boom mic dip into screen, it's objectively bad.
It's not skilfully made. It's probably failed in its creators' intentions. It's not objectively bad because that's not a thing. Good and bad are inherently subjective concepts.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Otherwise american cheese is pretty much the best cheeseburger cheese.
Actually camembert is the best cheese to put in a hamburger.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Euros just need to admit wisconsinites have the best cheese. Euros spent decades not inventing the cheese curd and that's not okay.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A fancier cheese suits burgs with toppings besides standard fixings.

Also, lots of places have great variant burgs now but make them too big to eat unmessily and pollute the toppings by chocking lettuce/tomato/onion/mayo/mustard on there too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The size inflation is out of control.

There are “sliders” now that are the size of yesteryear’s burgers.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Euros just need to admit wisconsinites have the best cheese. Euros spent decades not inventing the cheese curd and that's not okay.

Hey, yeah! I never thought about that. What the hell was their problem?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Robobot posted:

Hey, yeah! I never thought about that. What the hell was their problem?
Swiss cheese

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Swiss cheese

It's a cheese that gives you less cheese per volume (CPV) because they purposely made it with holes all through it. It's the dairy equivalent of putting sawdust in bread to save on flour. The Swiss aren't just bad cheese makers, they're criminals.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Robobot posted:

It's a cheese that gives you less cheese per volume (CPV) because they purposely made it with holes all through it. It's the dairy equivalent of putting sawdust in bread to save on flour. The Swiss aren't just bad cheese makers, they're criminals.

cheese is typically sold by weight, not by volume

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Swiss cheese is delicious on burgers and delicious in general.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

cheese is typically sold by weight, not by volume

Yeah everything but packaged pre-sliced you're getting the same weight of cheese you want.

Packaged slices vary a little. I checked Sargento for a cheap US brand, the cheddar is about 25g more for 11 slices than swiss. Pepper jack is in the middle. A block of Tillamook it's all 454g same price for those three. Educating myself on cheap cheese brands today.

Block cheese is by far the best value regardless if you don't want to hit the deli or the imports.

e; this got me thinking that I think I've seen the ounce for weight mostly die out. Kitchen is in grams unless you're doing serious bulk, bathroom scale spits out 145.7lbs not 145lbs so-and-so oz. Like I know 454g is a pound but not how many ounces to one.

e:2 nice timing on that edit/post combo

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Oct 27, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A block of Tillamook it's all 454g same price for those three. Educating myself on cheap cheese brands today.

That’s one pound, OP.

#education

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Burgers have become insanely popular in sweden over the last decade and are now served everywhere, from dumps to fancy places. I still think they're overpriced though. It's just ground meat between bread and they sell it for 130-140kr here, or more. I think that's like 16+ dollars in American monies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Collapsing Farts posted:

Burgers have become insanely popular in sweden over the last decade and are now served everywhere, from dumps to fancy places. I still think they're overpriced though. It's just ground meat between bread and they sell it for 130-140kr here, or more. I think that's like 16+ dollars in American monies

I'd expect to pay somewhere around 10 to 12 dollars for a good burger at a sitdown burger place. If the burgers are 16 bucks then it's either overpriced of the restaurant has some sort of value-add like weird toppings or something.

I assume that all food is more expensive in Sweden, because it's so cold, so maybe 16 dollars base burger price makes sense.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I'd expect to pay somewhere around 10 to 12 dollars for a good burger at a sitdown burger place. If the burgers are 16 bucks then it's either overpriced of the restaurant has some sort of value-add like weird toppings or something.

I assume that all food is more expensive in Sweden, because it's so cold, so maybe 16 dollars base burger price makes sense.

Because cost of living is absurd here in Alberta, $16 is the entry point for a burger at a non-fast food place. Just last month I saw a burger and one side for $24

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I spent almost $20 on a burger in Chicago a few weeks ago. It came with fries and a bunch of crazy poo poo on it though. I also spent $7 and got a burger the same size with fries and coleslaw in the same city that I actually thought was just as good.

In short, burgers are a land of contrasts.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Gaius Marius posted:

The juicy Lucy is a total waste of time to make. Tastes the same as a regular cheeseburer

That's not true the cheese gets all molten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Wanting to change everything all at once is explicable but hard.

But at the same time changing little things slowly also doesn't seem to work towards the thing you were aiming for and can be set back more easily.