Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

Tough Enough was always awesome? I am not sure I understand the question.
Yeah I'm not getting the question either, since Tough Enough has almost always been entertaining. Unless he's just referring to the winners not having a very good track record on the real roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tough Enough would be much better if the winner was ready for the main roster.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Was it Tough Enough 2 where there was this guy who was loving ripped, but the hired Jackie Gayada instead?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Was it Tough Enough 2 where there was this guy who was loving ripped, but the hired Jackie Gayada instead?
Yes but he had zero charisma.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sometimes it was fun, but to me it looked like it was mostly an opportunity for the WWE to expose itself as full of assholes who enjoy bullying people who can't fight back, and the contest itself was a joke, considering that only one winner has done anything while the rest didn't last long, and a few non-winners had greater success. Did Andy Leavine win the Austin season for any reason other than being 6'5"?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Zack_Gochuck posted:

She broke her arm and didn't want to quit so her and Linda Miles beat "THE CHISEL" out for a contract

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Halloween Jack posted:

Did Andy Leavine win the Austin season for any reason other than being 6'5"?

Sure, he was already under contract and he had the big steroid physique and face Vince loves.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

oatgan posted:

She broke her arm and didn't want to quit so her and Linda Miles beat "THE CHISEL" out for a contract

AND Kenny King, don't forget that Kenny got passed over for Jackie Gayda as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which season had the contestant with a legit mental illness who had to leave because of it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which season had the contestant with a legit mental illness who had to leave because of it?

That was the Steve Austin Reacting To Things Season (the best season) - they had a giant woman who apparently went nuts and was taken out of the show before it started airing.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I didn't appreciate him enough when I was a kid, but goddamn Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig was amazing.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Jerusalem posted:

That was the Steve Austin Reacting To Things Season (the best season) - they had a giant woman who apparently went nuts and was taken out of the show before it started airing.

That wasn't Tough Enough, that was the Divas Season of NXT.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

That wasn't Tough Enough, that was the Divas Season of NXT.

Jesus Christ so it was, that was a dumb thing for me to say.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just to call back on earlier posts, I don't know if it's common knowledge, but back when Vince was looking for a new mega-face for WWF in 92, he was deciding either between Santana or Bret Hart. He wound up going with Bret because he got more fan mail.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ so it was, that was a dumb thing for me to say.
An understandable mix-up. Season 2 or 3 of Tough Enough did have a girl who went crazy and climbed up on a roof or something. It was partially into the season; I think they just handwaved it in the next episode with a quick line about how so-and-so "decided to go home."

EDIT: :stare:

Wikipedia posted:

In the cover story from the October 5, 2002 issue of the Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter,[6] it was revealed that contestant "Lisa" was removed from the show after what was referred to as a "psychotic breakdown." After being left at the house while the other contestants went out to dinner, she began throwing herself against the walls of the house, eventually breaking into the hidden MTV control room and working her way onto the roof. After being talked down by producers, she was committed to a hospital facility to receive psychiatric treatment. Her parents flew in from New Mexico to pick her up, but she physically attacked them, claiming she did not know them. She then escaped custody inside LAX, shutting down a wing of the airport until she was located. Again, she was hospitalized, but she was able to check herself out shortly after. She then contacted Tough Enough producers, claiming she was ready to return to the show. Producers informed her she had been removed from the competition due to her actions. The other contestants (and, subsequently, the audience) were initially told that Lisa simply decided wrestling "wasn't the right career for her." Lisa then reemerged in Louisville, Kentucky at the Ohio Valley Wrestling training center, claiming that trainer Al Snow and producer John "Big" Gaburick had sent her for additional training, both in the ring and to learn further about the structure of the developmental territory system. At a series of shows in California in September 2002, she managed to talk her way backstage and was even allowed to assist with the pyrotechnics for the wrestlers' entrances at a TV taping. One source claimed that she had a face-to-face conversation with Vince McMahon, who was apparently unaware of her status with the Tough Enough program. Soon after, her photograph was circulated to security personnel, and she was barred from any backstage areas.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

simply decided wrestling "wasn't the right career for her"
If you successfully break through a wall you're already more qualified for the job than Typhoon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd like to think that Vince was the one that initiated the conversation, with Vince assuming he was just hitting on a random backstage female employee.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Did Andy Leavine win the Austin season for any reason other than being 6'5"?

What was the story with this guy? I remember him winning Tough Enough and then appearing on a Raw and then future endeavors some time later. And now he is constantly begging promotions over Twitter for work.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well let me tell you a little story about meth...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
He also managed to get wellnessed in developmental like a big doof.

GB888
Jan 28, 2004

The GB stands for "Great Boobs".

bradzilla posted:

What was the story with this guy? I remember him winning Tough Enough and then appearing on a Raw and then future endeavors some time later. And now he is constantly begging promotions over Twitter for work.

Wellness'd while in developmental, I think.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^What he said.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

All this talk of Tough Enough reminds me of my recent voyage into the PPV days of around 2000. Maven, who won the first Tough Enough, was pretty "big" in the Hardcore Title scene and both JR and King were flabbergasted at how McMahon could waste a draft pick on him at the very first draft after the brand split. I don't even remember anything about Maven, dude looked so awfully generic and small.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Maven eliminated The Undertaker in the Royal Rumble.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He eliminated Undertaker from a Royal Rumble. Undertaker then threw him through a glass popcorn machine and ate bloody popcorn over his corpse.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

abraxas posted:

All this talk of Tough Enough reminds me of my recent voyage into the PPV days of around 2000. Maven, who won the first Tough Enough, was pretty "big" in the Hardcore Title scene and both JR and King were flabbergasted at how McMahon could waste a draft pick on him at the very first draft after the brand split. I don't even remember anything about Maven, dude looked so awfully generic and small.

I remember he showed some charisma after his short-lived heel turn during the Evolution vs. everyone else feud, but he didn't have the in-ring skills to really do anything and was shuffled off TV shortly after the turn.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's telling that most of the success stories from the MTV era of Tough Enough are the people who lost in their season, with the exception of John Morrison. Kenny King. Matt Morgan. Ryback. Miz.

I guess Nidia did okay but she didn't last very long.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

How did Hogan get so good at playing politics? Some of his schemes like angling his appearances to take credit for ratings spikes were brilliant and I've never gotten the impression that The Hulkster was shrewd in anything else he's ever done in his life.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

bradzilla posted:

He was a lovely guy in WWE developmental who they were keeping around largely for look and having a football background. They inserted him as a ringer into Tough Enough to try and astroturf a star and had him win over several people with actual talent, and even the most generous editing on the planet could only fool a few people into believing he deserved it. Then he hosed up a live segment, got buried, and pissed hot, and was quietly released.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

How did Hogan get so good at playing politics? Some of his schemes like angling his appearances to take credit for ratings spikes were brilliant and I've never gotten the impression that The Hulkster was shrewd in anything else he's ever done in his life.

I'm not sure how to answer this, because I feel like Hogan's entire career is due to him being shrewd enough to get in with the right people & screw over anybody that would get in his way.

His life is in shambles now, but I don't think he bumbled his way to being the most famous wrestler of all time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oatgan posted:

He was a legitimately cunning man who had a good head for playing politics. His entire history until he hosed himself is of a dude who's a decent performer but smart enough to play the game and insert himself in the big spotlight when he, reasonably, should have been a midcard dude.

He's legitimately shrewd, but only when it comes to gaming others, when he's on his own and managing things himself he's a bumbling oaf.

He's the Littlefinger of wrasslin.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

I think it comes from working alongside Vince and then eventually thinking "Hulkamania" was bigger than WWE. It wasn't.

Every time he's fallen out with Vince he's tried to jump somewhere else to prove he's bigger than WWE and failed (except WCW, but he was floundering for 2 years there before the nWo rejuvenated his career).

Hogan plays innocent, but in reality he knows exactly what he's doing. Dude is straight using TNA to support his friends/family like he did with WCW.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

abraxas posted:

If I remember right, they always talked about how Maven "Has a great Drop Kick", and in wrestling for some reason anyone who is talked about as having a great drop kick usually has no other moves worth a drat. (See also Holly, Bob).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SiKboy posted:

for some reason anyone who is talked about as having a great drop kick usually has no other moves worth a drat. (See also Holly, Bob).

Hey now, Bob Holly also had that move where he draped the guy over the top rope and kicked him in the nuts!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Okada's dropkicks are works of art :colbert:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AJ Styles' dropkick is literal perfection.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SiKboy posted:

If I remember right, they always talked about how Maven "Has a great Drop Kick", and in wrestling for some reason anyone who is talked about as having a great drop kick usually has no other moves worth a drat. (See also Holly, Bob).

I remember reading in a very old WWF Magazine that Shane Douglas had an amazing dropkick (this is when he debuted with WWF), so the theory holds up. Then again it also talks about Macho Man's dropkick, so there are a few exceptions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bryan and Malenko both have great dropkicks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Hogan plays innocent, but in reality he knows exactly what he's doing. Dude is straight using TNA to support his friends/family like he did with WCW.

And even that's not working so well, as he was reportedly one of the people that TNA had problems getting a paycheck to on time.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

To be fair to Maven his dropkick was a thing of beauty. Everything else looked like he had been half trained for obvious reasons. He was actually turning into a solid act at the time he was released, and if he had been able to be trained without being on the road all the time I'm pretty sure he would've turned out very solid. His teased heel persona seemed excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

SiKboy posted:

Orton. :dealwithit: