Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure! I'll get something at some point, no worries on that front. While they would have been the least-effort option if they were readily available, I don't particularly like the Kawasaki OEM panniers anyway as they look like two little coffins strapped to the side of your bike :confused:

Ominous.

Side note, I love the aesthetic your KLR has going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I was worried about the RV90 rack cracking but it was totally fine. The weight limit is definitely one of those things that was decided by Legal and not Engineering. You could literally pick the entire bike up by the rack and it wouldn’t flinch.

Unexpected bonus side effect of having a shitload of weight up high and behind the axle? Wheelie city

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
did someone say touring bags?

The last one was at the beginning of a 3 week trip through Iowa, Wiscinsin, Illinois, Indiana (watched the MotoGP) and then back through Illinois to Iowa.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The busa is actually a fantastic touring bike, but yeah, it’s aesthetics don’t lend themselves to luggage

What about a busa makes it good for touring?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Long wheelbase and relatively heavy so it's stable, strong suspension, good aerodynamics, so much power that you can cruise at freeway speeds with the engine loping along at the bottom of the tachometer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are also very, very comfortable ergonomically, especially if you're tall, and the wind protection is excellent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Minto Took posted:

What about a busa makes it good for touring?

Busas catch a lot of poo poo in this forum because CA doesn’t like anything that isn’t a brand new Euro bike or old Honda, but the Busa is a really amazing bike especially for its time.

They can lope along all day at 1500 rpm and still pass on the highway in top gear. They are long, have good suspension and their motors are phenomenal, both in power, smoothness and longevity. They were developed almost entirely in wind tunnels, so their ability to keep air off you is unparalleled.

Throw some bags on them and they’ll do as many miles as a Goldwing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also they have that big kanji on the side which is kickin rad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Busas catch a lot of poo poo in this forum because CA doesn’t like anything that isn’t a brand new Euro bike or old Honda, but the Busa is a really amazing bike especially for its time.

They can lope along all day at 1500 rpm and still pass on the highway in top gear. They are long, have good suspension and their motors are phenomenal, both in power, smoothness and longevity. They were developed almost entirely in wind tunnels, so their ability to keep air off you is unparalleled.

Throw some bags on them and they’ll do as many miles as a Goldwing.

I think it's mostly the owners and the general miasma of dumbfuckery associated with them that gets poo poo, I don't think anyone here actually thinks they're bad.

Because they're not, they're an absolutely phenomenal bike in every way besides aesthetics.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Everyone here loves bkings.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah it's definitely the typical busa owner you see that's the turn off, not the bike itself. How do they handle? They seem a bit long compared to your typical sport bike, but I always figured they're still pretty decent, all things considered.

*edit*
for some reason if you ask me to picture a busa, I picture a stretched out one in Florida with a guy in flip flops and no helmet. I don't even know if Florida is a no helmet state

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've seen two in the wild. One always standing on the side of the road on the sidewalk and the other time with a ridiculous swing-arm and ridden by a fat dude.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah it's definitely the typical busa owner you see that's the turn off, not the bike itself. How do they handle? They seem a bit long compared to your typical sport bike, but I always figured they're still pretty decent, all things considered.

*edit*
for some reason if you ask me to picture a busa, I picture a stretched out one in Florida with a guy in flip flops and no helmet. I don't even know if Florida is a no helmet state

They handle really, really good, basically exactly like an SRAD but just twice as big in every metric. Like all Suzukis they have a virtually perfect setup for fast road riding right out of the box.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

builds character posted:

Everyone here loves bkings.

160 km fuel range/100mi from 16.5 litres. Worst bike I've toured on.

Edit: Luggage extremely limited due to the underseat exhausts.

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 18, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Isolationist posted:

160 km fuel range. Worst bike I've toured on.

See that's around the same range as most of the bikes I've had, and I don't really see it as a problem. That's around an hour or so (ahem) on the motorway, and unless you're on a dedicated touring bike that's a good time to have a break.

Obviously this is probably very different if you're in North America or Australia where 500 miles barely gets you to the next major city instead of two countries along.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I think thats pretty universal, when you think about the type of person who buys a Busa, Ive got no opinion on the bike itself. But lol at a guy I know buying a bike for the first time ever and it was a Busa.

But on the other hand, they are involved in relatively few accidents here, so they are actually cheaper to insure than other bikes, so who knows.

I personally am of the opinion that all bikes are beautiful, so I dont discriminate.

Regarding saddlebags, I bought Kuryakyn throw-over saddlebags for the Dyna. Not the best but not the worst. Theyre not as waterproof as they advertised, and since its a universal fit, the fit is poor on the dyna at least. But fabricating metal brackets which can slide into the pockets designed for those on the bag, makes them pretty sturdy. Dad used them on a longer trip in Europe and his only complaint was the waterproofing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I think it's mostly the owners and the general miasma of dumbfuckery associated with them that gets poo poo, I don't think anyone here actually thinks they're bad.

Because they're not, they're an absolutely phenomenal bike in every way besides aesthetics.

Yeah any time you have the title of “fastest X” or “most powerful Y” you’ll attract a lot of dickwaving shitheads.

I actually don’t really LIKE the Busas aesthetics but I definitely respect them because they are truly function over form, everything about them was done in pursuit of wind resistance and wind management

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well the designer has gone on record saying that the look was specifically inspired by the rippling muscles of the beefy meatheads on Miami Beach.

But yes, there's a lot of aerodynamic work in the fairings too

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The busa is definitely a compromise between form and function, because we know what total dedication to the function of minimum drag looks like:

Though as much as I love dustbin fairings and think they're unfairly maligned, I don't know if I'd have one for commuting, since being able to sight down the forks is pretty important for dodging potholes and broken glass and all the other nasty crap I come across when splitting past traffic.

Would be choice on an all weather tourer though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait are you like staring at the ground right by your front wheel?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nah just glancing on the occasion I happen to be creeping past traffic and there's something there I want to be sure to miss. Which I suppose isn't that often

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been watching videos all morning and now I want a Kawasaki 250 dual sport.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rolo posted:

Reasonable

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

They're pretty fun!

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Speaking of Kawasaki dual-sports...

Is there like a good reason to choose the KLX230 over the 250? The 250 is only 700 dollars more, and I'm pretty sure going on highways and adjustable suspension and water cooling are pretty important upgrades.

(I mean the "list of features" for the 230 includes "full size wheels". And I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that is going to need an ice pack, if they're reaching that hard.)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

I’ve been watching videos all morning and now I want a KawasakiYamaha 250 dual sport.

fixed yw

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did you guys know they made a concept car out of a busa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R/4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

Is there like a good reason to choose the KLX230 over the 250? The 250 is only 700 dollars more, and I'm pretty sure going on highways and adjustable suspension and water cooling are pretty important upgrades.

(I mean the "list of features" for the 230 includes "full size wheels". And I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that is going to need an ice pack, if they're reaching that hard.)

Klx230 is like babby's first 'big' dirt bike aka you've just stepped up from a klx140 or kx80; they're bereft of any positive qualities beyond being A Dirt Bike with full sized tyres. The 250 is an actual enduro.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Klx230 is like babby's first 'big' dirt bike aka you've just stepped up from a klx140 or kx80; they're bereft of any positive qualities beyond being A Dirt Bike with full sized tyres. The 250 is an actual enduro.

This is my understanding of CRF230 vs CRF250 as well, c/d?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Afaik that's more heavy, road-biased enduro ala drz vs real mx 250f but strangely I hardly ever see Honda dirt bikes so I've never ridden a 230.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mewse posted:

Did you guys know they made a concept car out of a busa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R/4

I see that and raise you this gorgeous death machine powered by two busa engines:

A replica of the Bugatti 100P air racer designed in 1939. The replica crashed in 2016, killing its pilot, because of course it did. The moral of the story is don't paint fast things blue.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 19, 2020

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is my understanding of CRF230 vs CRF250 as well, c/d?

I think you're thinking of the CRF230M "supermoto", which Honda only made for year or two, but mostly yeah. The main difference between both the CRF and KLX 230 vs 250 is air cooled vs water cooled, a more basic softer suspension, and a lower seat height. So the goal is: simpler, lower weight, better mpg, more approachable. I see the KLX230 as the replacement for the Super Sherpa, which are great. For $800 less than the klx250 that's not a bad trade off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I see that and raise you this gorgeous death machine powered by two busa engines:

A replica of the Bugatti 100P air racer designed in 1939. The replica crashed in 2016, killing its pilot, because of course it did. The moral of the story is don't paint fast things blue.

That is a very pretty plane and even though it's supposed to be a replica it really should have been painted in traditional blue and white Gixer livery (actually did they ever do the Hayabusa in that livery?).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mirconium posted:

What do you want to do with it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Renaissance Robot posted:

This weapon kills dentists.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

This weapon kills dentists.

Nah, it was powered by 'busa motors, not GS or Harley

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Any of y’all know about European motorcycle rental? I’m gonna be in Poland and thereabouts in May and I wouldn’t mind seeing the eastern bloc as god intended

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

prukinski posted:

Any of y’all know about European motorcycle rental? I’m gonna be in Poland and thereabouts in May and I wouldn’t mind seeing the eastern bloc as god intended

Renting them in the UK is easy. Loads of places. No idea about Poland.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My goal is to do this along the coast of Japan in a few years once I have my bike legs under me.

Combining still being green with riding on the "wrong" side of the road in an unfamiliar country sounds like one too many variables for 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Only thing I've seen with some rental places is that they got a "have to had bike licence for 2 years" rule.