Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Same. I was just in the local Target for the first time in a while, and I did a double-take at that box set with the T-Rex and the red/yellow/green bubble-top SUV from the first movie. I don't really want to get back into Jurassic Park collecting, but that set looked so great, I almost jumped on it. I still have a bunch of those Kenner toys, and my favorites were the big T-Rex and the SUV, so that brought back memories. I think they made the right move scaling down the line to 3.75" so they can build it around the dinosaurs and vehicles; I'm not really tempted by the "collector" 1/12 line but I continue to be impressed by the small-scale JP toys.
I’m not big on the “Amber Collection” stuff either but I did get a velociraptor on clearance and it’s really, really good. The articulation is great and largely well-hidden and there’s some neat unexpected articulation, like the mouth opens from both the lower and upper jaw and the head and neck are articulated in multiple spots; it means you can get some really cool and dynamic poses.

The mainline stuff is great though, and they’ve been making really cool iterative improvements on stuff since they started the line. Like some of the early ones either had an electronic roar or had a biting feature, and then they started having both, and then they improved the articulation, then they made it with the ability to use the tail to puppeteer the head dynamically, and the most recent ones let you pick the intensity of the electronic roars and bites from “mildly agitated” to “real goddamn angry”, it’s super cool.

They’ve also done the occasional “homage” dinosaur, like they’ve done several callbacks to the old Kenner toys with dinos in old-school Kenner color schemes or some of the obscure species that the Kenner line did, or shout-outs to specific dinos from movies or video games, it’s really neat.

My biggest wish is that we’d get more humans and vehicles for the dinosaurs to eat and wreck, DINO DAMAGE was the coolest gimmick from the old JP toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Playmobil is really good as a therapy toy because they make a large variety of playsets that feature very normal situations. Unfortunately this also means that some kid is going to end up with "the dentist office" being their only Playmobil set.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Cloks posted:

Playmobil is really good as a therapy toy because they make a large variety of playsets that feature very normal situations. Unfortunately this also means that some kid is going to end up with "the dentist office" being their only Playmobil set.

And sometimes, they wind up envying the kid with the dentist office set...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Cloks posted:

True, actually the last Playmobil set I built was for my wife’s office, and she is a play therapist. I’m not sure she could write off the $500 starship Enterprise as a business expense though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Only one way to find out!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A few years ago there was a Playmobil ship that included a dark skinned figure with a metal collar that could be placed in a caged compartment below decks.:wtc:

I'm too lazy to rehost an image so here is a link.
https://www.diversityinc.com/mom-outraged-by-slave-cuff-for-toy-figurine/

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Playmobil Ghostbusters and BTTF stuff is absolutely fantastic, they really went all out in packing every possible little detail into the toys as possible.

The Ghostbusters stuff especially is delightful and improves over the old Kenner toys in a lot of ways - e.g. you can fit all 4 dudes AND their stuff into the Ecto-1

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
edit: Sold

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 13, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lamont posted:

The Playmobil Ghostbusters and BTTF stuff is absolutely fantastic, they really went all out in packing every possible little detail into the toys as possible.

The Ghostbusters stuff especially is delightful and improves over the old Kenner toys in a lot of ways - e.g. you can fit all 4 dudes AND their stuff into the Ecto-1

I wanted the Ecto-1A but I never saw it in shops or anything. :(

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The_Doctor posted:

I wanted the Ecto-1A but I never saw it in shops or anything. :(

For some reason they're much rarer than the GB1 Ecto - they're going on ebay for £100-150 now :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

About loving time

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/1426184469678116864?s=20

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo look at those elbow joints

Those are *not* supposed to be on this sculpt. Those are from the Michael Myers/Roy figures, just kind of haphazardly shoved into this. That doesn't look natural at all

NECA what the gently caress man

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Well these are downright incredible: https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/the-worst-ultimates-wave-1-figures

Also, anyone know of a ReAction database or gallery?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

this skeleton pirate rules super hard

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I bought the 3.75” baseball samurai and the glowing brain commander dude and I can’t wait til they’re here.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I wasn't a fan of the vampire until I noticed his dual middle-finger alternate hands. They both rule

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Mother Fucker those are nice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly dunno what's better, the dual middle fingers on the vamp or the pirate guy having a poo poo list, or the pirate guy having an eye for an eye patch, or just having the patch cover it so he can look out through the socket of the other one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I rearranged some of my stuff and put Twilight Princess Link with the ball and chain.

It feels hard to get it posed with a sense of motion but I felt like I had to use it as the most uniquely TP accessory in the pack.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I didn’t wake up expecting to buy drunken rear end in a top hat vampire & pirate skeleton toys but here we are.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
He's not just a pirate, he's a cosmic ghoul pirate, which loving owns so hard

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Well these are downright incredible: https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/the-worst-ultimates-wave-1-figures

Also, anyone know of a ReAction database or gallery?

If they start doing the GITD variants like they did on the 3.75" versions I'm gonna have to sell my house. I'm fighting the urge to get those hard enough, let alone if they glowed in the dark.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just got Jaxxon. Such a random choice for a Black Series figure, but I kind of love it. I like when Star Wars is weird and bringing back from Legends a giant humanoid green space rabbit is pretty weird for me, and to give him his own figure is even weirder.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

If they start doing the GITD variants like they did on the 3.75" versions I'm gonna have to sell my house. I'm fighting the urge to get those hard enough, let alone if they glowed in the dark.

I would very much enjoy a glow in the dark chained up ghost of Frankenstein’s monster, yes please.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
:deleted:

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 15, 2021

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Just what I always wanted, an 1800's German soldier harassing a drunk hobo in a park.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

So how does the Super7 preorder work? I’m tempted to get the drunk vampire and skele-pirate but it seems to want to charge me upfront, all sales final, for something not expected to ship for over a year from now. Are these the sort of thing that aren’t going to show up in retail? I’m getting cold feet on spending $125 bucks for two figures, not cause I don’t want them, but because a lot of poo poo can happen in a year. Would they refund me if these were cancelled? What happens if there’s design revisions that make them unappealing, do I have any recourse to cancel if so? Etc, etc., I just need some hand holding, I guess. : )

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgaroctonus posted:

So how does the Super7 preorder work? I’m tempted to get the drunk vampire and skele-pirate but it seems to want to charge me upfront, all sales final, for something not expected to ship for over a year from now. Are these the sort of thing that aren’t going to show up in retail? I’m getting cold feet on spending $125 bucks for two figures, not cause I don’t want them, but because a lot of poo poo can happen in a year. Would they refund me if these were cancelled? What happens if there’s design revisions that make them unappealing, do I have any recourse to cancel if so? Etc, etc., I just need some hand holding, I guess. : )

You can go through another online store if you don't want to pay up front.

Basically the way it works- if you like what you see, and you can afford it, you can go through their main website and order directly within the month period. At that point you're done and you'll get the toy in a year or so unless Covid fucks poo poo up again. again.

If you're iffy or worried, you can put in a pre-order at any of the usual places, I typically do BBTS but Entertainment Earth is fine too, and it works like normal. Cancel any time, no fuss no muss.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks! I’ve used BBTS before but it was for something already in stock. I think I’ll check them out. I assume they’re a bit more expensive but as long as it’s not ridiculous I think I’d prefer the peace of mind. I appreciate your help! : )

Oh, off subject but I asked about where to find old Mego stuff and someone was kind enough to post a link to a site, but life got weird for a few months and now I can’t find it. This ring any bells for anyone?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The duo is actually one cent cheaper on BBTS since they put 109.99 and Super7 puts $110 flat.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Is there any word on MOTU Classics doing reissues? I don’t want to have to pay eBay prices for some of these guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looking highly unlikely. I'm down to 45 and it's gonna be a couple grand to wrap this up.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Well poo poo. On the bright side I grabbed Adam and the Sky Sled for 8.99.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most of the figures I need are $100 minimum so I feel you. Fuckin Fangor is $350 at the low end so I'm holding out for a loose one.

Edit: I found a decent ebay seller with a lot I needed, had their stuff priced to move so I grabbed 8 from them. Today they shot me an offer on Draego Man so I nabbed that one cheaper. Toy Pit in Indy had a half dozen I need and I have store credit so I might run down there next Wednesday to grab those. I'm going to knock this line out by the end of the year.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 15, 2021

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Ah, and I remember being 12 and smashing all my MOTU with a machete and burying them in the backyard.

I was also mostly curious about reissues of the Origins line itself. I'm being cheap, not a fan of paying $35 for Roboto when he should be 15.99.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Origins have had reorders at least. Orko went from $15 to $50 and back in stock at BBTS for $15 (I don't know if he's in stock still but he's gone in and out).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

Ah, and I remember being 12 and smashing all my MOTU with a machete and burying them in the backyard.

I was also mostly curious about reissues of the Origins line itself. I'm being cheap, not a fan of paying $35 for Roboto when he should be 15.99.

Origins will definitely get restocked, there's store listing leaks for like 20 upcoming figures, the line ain't going anywhere.

Classics pricing is forever hosed though. He-Ro and Wundar exploded in price like 3 weeks ago, right after their on screen debut.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I was surprised when I was looking up Fistos, that classics Fisto was so pricey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've read Fisto had some major distribution problems and was under produced. Barbarossa Customs has a kit where you can convert a figure into 200X Fisto but it's like $150 just for that and you have to find a donor figure on top of that.

I do plan on picking the kit up and then hoping to find a broken Classics HeMan to use as the body.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-ORDER-...1-127632-2357-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They oversold MOTUC Fisto.

It was kind of hilarious in a typical Matty sense because when I went to Toy Fair that year our bags of Mattel stuff included a Fisto so they gave out plenty. Then when he was supposed to ship later that month some people with subscriptions didn’t even get him because they ran out. Ever since then, he’s been expensive.