Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm like 80% sure Toona's just trolling, these posts are way too on the nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I'm honestly not. :(

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm honestly not. :(

You are but you don't know it.

Toona. You're trolling yourself.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Definitely go to law school. ABGLS (Always Be Going to Law School).

It's not like a whole lot of people really regret doing that.

Lt. Commander Data
Jul 17, 2010

Lt. Commander Data fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 30, 2015

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
I'm pretty sure Toona knows the rules by now. If you guys keep pressing him he won't come back to the thread and then we'll never get to see his slow evolution into one of us.

Godspeed, Toona.

Lt. Commander Data
Jul 17, 2010
You're going to lose your wife and she'll take the kids.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lt. Commander Data posted:

You're going to lose your wife and she'll take the kids.

That's a loving win in my books. Sure, you gotta give her some money every month, but you're a free god drat man.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

How I Was a Kept Man and Threw It All Away and Also Threw Away Sixty-One Grand

by Toona, a something awful troll

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That is until you get the second wife and kid. She sticks with you after you inexplicably land a biglaw job and claw your way up through 100 hour workweeks from junior to senior associate. As soon as you come home with the news you made partner you find out it's time for divorce number two. I mean, at least you're a partner now so the hit to your wallet isn't too bad. However, the extra money you were going to put towards those loans is now going out as alimony/child support #2. But who cares, you're on the fast track. By now you're middle aged and well past your prime but you have some hot junior associate you're slamming out every night. She doesn't enjoy it. Neither do you, really, but it's all you have. Eventually love blooms between the two of you, that is she gets pregnant and is suddenly no longer pro choice. You get married, but it fails quickly. There goes your next promotion in the form of child support/alimony 3. You have to give her a bigger chunk than the rest to avoid the sexual harassment lawsuits. After this point you just get a seeking arrangements account and just pay someone directly rather than have to deal with actual people ever again.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Toona's law school story is going to provide the main dramatic arc for this thread over the next three years so please don't drive him away.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's a loving win in my books. Sure, you gotta give her some money every month, but you're a free god drat man.

Maybe child support payments help lower your IBR payment. Silver lining.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona, the best way for you to troll this thread is to constantly remind us of your successes in life. Wife, kids, career. How happy law school and the practice of law makes you. If you cam accomplish these goals, you will drive two, maybe three of us to suicide.

And that means two or three jobs will be open.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

Maybe child support payments help lower your IBR payment. Silver lining.

Whose rereg are you?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Toona has a career already, that he is planning to leave to go to law school.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lol, hey Toona, remember weekends where you don't think about work? What were those like?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Probad posted:

Toona's law school story is going to provide the main dramatic arc for this thread over the next three years so please don't drive him away.

Toona, a nondescript kind of man, doomed to go to law school. Like every other lawyer caught in the wheels of justice, he's scared, right down to the marrow of his bones. But it isn't law school that scares him, the long, silent nights of working, the slow walk to the law office, or even death itself. It's something else that holds Toona in the hot, sweaty grip of fear, something worse than any punishment this world has to offer, something found only in - The Twilight Zone.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Whose rereg are you?

Not a rereg.

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.
Are there any lawyers who are not miserable? If so, in what respect do they differ from the miserable ones?

Vaudeville answer: Ex-lawyers!

nanodroogie fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2015

Lt. Commander Data
Jul 17, 2010

Lt. Commander Data fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 30, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nanodroogie posted:

Are there any lawyers who are not miserable? If so, in what respect do they differ from the miserable ones?

I'm hoping to not be. In-house style state job. Suck my pension.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm happy all the time. Flowers and butterflies and poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

I just got my financial aid letter. I wonder how many people take the maximum offered. :shepspends:

EDIT: My maximum possible debt would be a little over 93K, I'm probably looking at 61,500.

Take out the max, you'll be using PAYE anyways so you might as well live it up. I'm extremely bitter I didn't do this.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS

nanodroogie posted:

I'm happy. I have a job where I feel appreciated and it can be interesting and challenging.

That being said, I still get together with my lawyer friends and day dream about some job where my work life isn't totally consumed by other people's problems.

Treemeister fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 7, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nanodroogie posted:

I'm not miserable, just stressed out by the gravity of all my wards' poor decisions, and the fact that I'm solely responsible for preventing everything they've ever cared about from crumbling to dust, and knowing that the slightest misstep could cost them their livelihood and/or cost me my career.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nanodroogie posted:

I spend most of my day fantasizing about filing nothing but motions for sanctions against every single defendant. I'm uncertain if that counts as miserable.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The only thing that makes me miserable is the lack of headroom I have here and attorney isn't part of my job title. An attorney title would really be some good resume insurance. I could do this job without having gone to law school and getting a license, but I wouldn't have gotten even an interview for this job if I hadn't done those things. Otherwise I do good work that's easy for me, I don't have to bill hours, and I never work more than 40 hrs a week.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I just used "what do you call a lawyer who is not miserable?" Joke.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

The only thing that makes me miserable is the lack of headroom I have here and attorney isn't part of my job title. An attorney title would really be some good resume insurance. I could do this job without having gone to law school and getting a license, but I wouldn't have gotten even an interview for this job if I hadn't done those things. Otherwise I do good work that's easy for me, I don't have to bill hours, and I never work more than 40 hrs a week.

Same here.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nanodroogie posted:

Me. But I spent a year in Iraq so my threshold for suck is pretty high. Seriously though. I love my job and everyone here.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Huh. Good to know Lynndie England landed on her feet.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

One of the lawyers who left my old firm was happy. Though in his case he was a small town lawyer who's great grand-dad went to med school with the guy the town is named after, and one of two four-lane roads in town is named after his family. He had the local prestige to ensure he always had a waiting list of quality clients eager for his representation. The reason he left is because the most prestigious firm in the county poached him to make him their next named partner. He also insisted on working 40 hour weeks at which point he would go home to his insanely hot wife who was somehow okay with his spending at least 20 hours a week in his man-cave playing WoW. I think he won lawyering.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I'm already on my 2nd wife and my ex wife has the kid. I was in a bad marriage, met a nice Jewish girl at my catholic women's university, and married her. Since the start of my freshman year, I've divorced, lived for 10 months with someone I met on here, bought a new house, and remarried. Law school might be a bit more relaxing by comparison.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

El_Elegante posted:

Huh. Good to know Lynndie England landed on her feet.

That's the best you've got?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm already on my 2nd wife and my ex wife has the kid. I was in a bad marriage, met a nice Jewish girl at my catholic women's university, and married her. Since the start of my freshman year, I've divorced, lived for 10 months with someone I met on here, bought a new house, and remarried. Law school might be a bit more relaxing by comparison.

Sounds like a good reason to drop 61k plus the loss of whatever you could make on the job market for 3 years.

ActusRhesus posted:

Josephine is ugly. Take that!

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 7, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is until you get the second wife and kid. She sticks with you after you inexplicably land a biglaw job and claw your way up through 100 hour workweeks from junior to senior associate. As soon as you come home with the news you made partner you find out it's time for divorce number two. I mean, at least you're a partner now so the hit to your wallet isn't too bad. However, the extra money you were going to put towards those loans is now going out as alimony/child support #2. But who cares, you're on the fast track. By now you're middle aged and well past your prime but you have some hot junior associate you're slamming out every night. She doesn't enjoy it. Neither do you, really, but it's all you have. Eventually love blooms between the two of you, that is she gets pregnant and is suddenly no longer pro choice. You get married, but it fails quickly. There goes your next promotion in the form of child support/alimony 3. You have to give her a bigger chunk than the rest to avoid the sexual harassment lawsuits. After this point you just get a seeking arrangements account and just pay someone directly rather than have to deal with actual people ever again.

I think I missed something. Are we posting our autobiographies now?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

mikeraskol posted:

Sounds like a good reason to drop 61k plus the loss of whatever you could make on the job market

My only real job skills are either doing signals analysis work which paid well but I hated doing, or working for a railroad which got loathesome. I realize saying that sets me up huge for "now you're going to get paid bad for something you hate" but I absolutely refuse to believe that anything is worse than signals intelligence. I've worked at a call center and I liked it better there.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

I thought it was pretty good.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

My only real job skills are either doing signals analysis work which paid well but I hated doing, or working for a railroad which got loathesome. I realize saying that sets me up huge for "now you're going to get paid bad for something you hate" but I absolutely refuse to believe that anything is worse than signals intelligence. I've worked at a call center and I liked it better there.

I mean that's fine, but when you're making this decision the cost isn't 61 thousand dollars. It's 61 thousand dollars plus whatever you could be earning over 3 years in the job market for those jobs, or anything else you could do. I don't know what either of those pay, but let's say 50k. You're losing $211,000 to go to law school at Duqeusne, which I'm sorry to say is just not a good school no matter how much you want to tell yourself that you've talked to local people that have done well coming from it. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. But it's a loving crapshoot weighted against you that isn't worth all that money.

Edit: I just slammed 6 beers because we finished our opposition to plaintiff's motion to reopen discovery because their expert reports got savaged by summary judgment, and as soon as the beautiful brown liquid of the 6th beer crossed my lips we got a decision back that the court refused to withdraw the reference in another case and the partner wants me to draft a memo about the opinion to send to the client first thing tomorrow morning so this is my Friday night hooooooooooooray.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mikeraskol posted:

I mean that's fine, but when you're making this decision the cost isn't 61 thousand dollars. It's 61 thousand dollars plus whatever you could be earning over 3 years in the job market for those jobs, or anything else you could do. I don't know what either of those pay, but let's say 50k. You're losing $211,000 to go to law school at Duqeusne, which I'm sorry to say is just not a good school no matter how much you want to tell yourself that you've talked to local people that have done well coming from it. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.

Also, remember that if you've gone to law school, no one will hire you for a non-legal job because they think you'll just leave and become a rich lawyer (and probably sue them).
Unless you want to move to a small, cold, british-ish isle and know a lot about gambling and are very lucky, apparently.