Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I don't get it, why are people saying Square has trolled people by putting VII on ps4? :confused:

They came onstage at the Playstation Expo and talked about how it has been 17 years since FFVII came out and how it was a big part of the Playstation experience and now they were bringing it to the PS4!

And then they rolled a clip of a PC port of FFVII when pretty clearly everyone in the audience was expecting it to be a remake announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Square remake FF5 instead so I can hear John Dimaggio voice Gilgamesh for a whole game.

i want that idea someone had for a platinum game about Gilgamesh beating people up and stealing their weapons to be real so loving bad it hurts

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the pc port is the one with the terrible midi audio right? As opposed to the redbook audio of the ps1 version

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Relin posted:

the pc port is the one with the terrible midi audio right? As opposed to the redbook audio of the ps1 version

It hasn't had that for ever basically.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
For them to get on stage and announce a port of a port and literally nothing else is such a shame. They hint at wanting to deliver content for fans, like with FFXIV and Theaterhythm, but then they do poo poo like this and you realize that they really have no clue what to do with their biggest franchise in tyool 2014.

Which is a shame because it seems like the fans know what they want. Square-Enix just won't provide it for some reason?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Relin posted:

As opposed to the redbook audio of the ps1 version

It was MIDI on the PS1 as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

For them to get on stage and announce a port of a port and literally nothing else is such a shame. They hint at wanting to deliver content for fans, like with FFXIV and Theaterhythm, but then they do poo poo like this and you realize that they really have no clue what to do with their biggest franchise in tyool 2014.

Which is a shame because it seems like the fans know what they want. Square-Enix just won't provide it for some reason?

S-E isn't stupid. They know people want a FFVII remake.

The thing is that a FFVII remake would be ridiculously loving expensive and risk alienating one of their strongest and most reliable fanbases if it is done wrong, where 'wrong' can even mean 'exactly like the PS1 game and not people's flawed memories of the PS1 game."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Imp summed it up pretty perfectly. This isn't like Ocarina of Time where all they did was touch up the textures and flip the world for Master Quest. This is a game that'd need to be converted into 3D models on a 3D background, compared to 2D in the original, the script needs to be rewritten to be sensible/fit into the rest of the FFVII games (as unfortunate as that is), and the entire thing would have to be competently voice acted. Pretty much the only thing they can count as progress is the story's outline being there. There's no feasible way that Square Enix could do it. It's more likely for us to get HD Remasters of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, they'd be less work.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HD Remaster of Crisis Core sounds pretty awesome actually...I loved that game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kirios posted:

HD Remaster of Crisis Core sounds pretty awesome actually...I loved that game.

I actually wouldn't mind an HD Crisis Core, I just would prefer for levelling up through the slot machine to be taken out. I liked the system for summons and other random bonuses or limit breaks, but I wasn't really comfortable with that style of experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Type-0 HD does well I'd not be surprised if we see Crisis Core HD. They're built on the same engine and even share some assets.

TARDISman posted:

I actually wouldn't mind an HD Crisis Core, I just would prefer for levelling up through the slot machine to be taken out. I liked the system for summons and other random bonuses or limit breaks, but I wasn't really comfortable with that style of experience.

Leveling via slot machine isn't actually random though it appears it. Basically all it means is that you have a chance to level up early. The game eventually weights in your favor as you gain experience in a way that means you will gain a level at the appropriate amount of experience.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 7, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Then, for additional schadenfreude, include a token for FFVII PS4 with preorders/deluxe editions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't the reason SE wont do a remake of FF7 not only the fear of loving it up, but there is a bunch of self imposed extra work needed cause I guess its hard for a multi billion dollar company to buy a spare hard drive, drag all the game files onto it and label it "FF7 data, DON'T THROW AWAY (Sell in event of impending bankruptcy)" and they don't have any of the original files?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TARDISman posted:

Imp summed it up pretty perfectly. This isn't like Ocarina of Time where all they did was touch up the textures and flip the world for Master Quest.

That's not at all what they did for OoT. The entire game world is remade. OoT had a lot of prerendered backgrounds in the original, in the remake these are all 3D.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They could hire some artists to draw the prerendered backdrops at a higher resolution. That'd be neat.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They could just put in a new translation and remixed soundtrack and I'd be happy. They've already done that several times over for Final Fantasy IV.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They could do 2D remakes of FF7, 8 and 9 with SNES-style sprites for the shmaltz factor and save on production costs.

I know I'd be first in line to buy those.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I just have a hard time picturing Square remaking a game in modern resolution/graphics and voice acting with Wall Market and Cloud cross-dressing, visiting a brothel and taking a bath with a bunch of naked musclemen with all the dialogue that comes with it. It clashes pretty majorly with the style FF games have nowadays.

On the other hand bizarre stuff like that is a big part of what makes FFVII so memorable and unique, so I'd rather they not do anything if it means removing them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

are you insinuating cloud wasn't a pretty girl

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

They could do 2D remakes of FF7, 8 and 9 with SNES-style sprites for the shmaltz factor and save on production costs.

I know I'd be first in line to buy those.

China is way ahead of you on this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think you'll find that Cloud is indeed the prettiest girl.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
You all talk as if the PC version of FF7 is the worst thing ever. It's been getting regular patches since release. Steam version 1.09 added improved AA/AF and looks pretty good. The field and pre-rendered stuff still shows its age, but it's still much better looking than 8 or 9 at this point.

Edit: Clarified *Steam* version numbering, which is different from the original PC release.

Varance fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 7, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I just have a hard time picturing Square remaking a game in modern resolution/graphics and voice acting with Wall Market and Cloud cross-dressing, visiting a brothel and taking a bath with a bunch of naked musclemen with all the dialogue that comes with it. It clashes pretty majorly with the style FF games have nowadays.

On the other hand bizarre stuff like that is a big part of what makes FFVII so memorable and unique, so I'd rather they not do anything if it means removing them.

I'm sorry, have you seen the Hildibrand cutscenes from 14? Now that is a Manderville man.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Varance posted:

You all talk as if the PC version of FF7 is the worst thing ever. It's been getting regular patches since release... 1.09 added improved AA/AF and looks pretty good. The field and pre-rendered stuff still shows its age, but it's still much better looking than 8 or 9 at this point.

Has the FF8 port been getting the same treatment?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Tempo 119 posted:

Has the FF8 port been getting the same treatment?

No. Music is still MIDI. This is... ugh, no. Not playing this again. 30 the minutes I spent playing to get these screenshots made me nauseous... figures, given that there's an epilepsy warning when starting the game.

I guess nobody bought it, so they never made an effort to fix the things that kept people from buying it. :v:

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 7, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FYI FF7 was the top selling game on PSN's classics section for years. I don't know if they still do sales charts split up that way anymore, but for a long, long time the only PS1 game people were buying was FF7. Even when FF8 and FF9 were put up there, they crept up for a bit then sat below FF7.

Then they put FF7 on Steam earlier this year and it shot straight up to top sellers, and continues to do so when it pops up in a Steam Sale.

They are re-releasing it again because it actually sells, every time. They don't need to waste the 5 years modern SE would take to remake it when they can just keep releasing the same thing for people to buy.

Didn't FFX/X-2 HD not do so well? It looks like people only want to buy FF7 over and over

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

ImpAtom posted:

They came onstage at the Playstation Expo and talked about how it has been 17 years since FFVII came out and how it was a big part of the Playstation experience and now they were bringing it to the PS4!

And then they rolled a clip of a PC port of FFVII when pretty clearly everyone in the audience was expecting it to be a remake announcement.

Sounds more like people getting butt hurt because of their own delusions. Pretty funny considering I just finished it and think it's the weakest FF I've ever played, even after Crystal Chronicles the ring bearers.

SE: "Remember that game you all liked 17 years ago?!"

FAN: "oh my god yes yes! are they finally going to make the rest of that tech demo!?!?"

SE: "Well here's that game, now on PS4!"

FAN: "They trolled me so hard! They should have announced they were finally remaking it when they made no indication that's what was happening!"

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 7, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't FFX/X-2 HD not do so well? It looks like people only want to buy FF7 over and over

It was a pretty half-assed remaster, to be fair. What kind of updated re-release/remake or whatever doesn't even add in a loving cutscene skip?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

It was a pretty half-assed remaster, to be fair. What kind of updated re-release/remake or whatever doesn't even add in a loving cutscene skip?

FF7

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gameplay and story would definitely change if Square tried to remake VII from scratch. Please register a Square_Enix account to use Omnislash.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Sounds more like people getting butt hurt because of their own delusions. Pretty funny considering I just finished it and think it's the weakest FF I've ever played, even after Crystal Chronicles the ring bearers.

SE: "Remember that game you all liked 17 years ago?!"

FAN: "oh my god yes yes! are they finally going to make the rest of that tech demo!?!?"

SE: "Well here's that game, now on PS4!"

FAN: "They trolled me so hard! They should have announced they were finally remaking it when they made no indication that's what was happening!"

That is incredibly disingenuous. No, they didn't indicate that, but Square-Enix isn't completely deaf to their fan's expectations.
An on stage presentation is absolutely not the appropriate platform for them to announce the 3rd time they're porting a game to another console. People expect this kind of thing to be announced through a small press release.
They know very well that any mention of FFVII has to be prefaced with whether or not it's a remake, and that they should announce it at the appropriate venue so as not to have fans feel like they're being toyed with. It very much is their responsibility to communicate with them while taking into account their expectations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

EmmyOk posted:

Gameplay and story would definitely change if Square tried to remake VII from scratch. Please register a Square_Enix account to use Omnislash.

The Cloud jacuzzi gangbang scene wouldn't have the same pathos if it were fully voiced 1080p

Hell maybe they're just waiting for the 20th anniversary of FF7 to announce an iOS and Android remake of 7

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That loving Sned posted:

They could just put in a new translation and remixed soundtrack and I'd be happy. They've already done that several times over for Final Fantasy IV.

I'd prefer more, but I'd be happy with this. The soundtrack and story were always the most interesting parts of VII anyway.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Imp summed it up pretty perfectly. This isn't like Ocarina of Time where all they did was touch up the textures and flip the world for Master Quest. This is a game that'd need to be converted into 3D models on a 3D background, compared to 2D in the original, the script needs to be rewritten to be sensible/fit into the rest of the FFVII games (as unfortunate as that is), and the entire thing would have to be competently voice acted. Pretty much the only thing they can count as progress is the story's outline being there. There's no feasible way that Square Enix could do it. It's more likely for us to get HD Remasters of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, they'd be less work.

They wouldn't necessarily have to do a full-blown shot-for-shot GTAV-level graphical remake or anything. I'd be perfectly happy with them slapping a remake in a Bravely Default art style on the New 3DS and calling it a day. It'd actually be fairly easy from there to adjust the storyline and plot as-needed to fit the limitations of the hardware without missing anything super important.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
To be fair if you could make millions by doing no work at all why the gently caress would you not?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lol I just listened to an interview with Troy Baker, who did the voice of snow in ff13 but these days has kind of blown up and is the leading man in every AAA game

He described 2009 as the worst year of his life and "I was even taking final fantasy jobs"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I just want Square to come on stage or announce online in a huge booming text that nobody, not even themselves, actually remembers how FF7 really went and so there's really no way they could remake it so shut up, please shut up about a remake, you don't even know the game you actually want.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well there's this guy named Cloud who wears a dress and is all broody and poo poo. Apparently he's in love with this one demure lady who wears pink and sells flowers, but then she loving dies and it's all emotional and poo poo. Then some other stuff happens and a meteor almost hits the planet.

Source: I've never played FF7

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lol I just listened to an interview with Troy Baker, who did the voice of snow in ff13 but these days has kind of blown up and is the leading man in every AAA game

He described 2009 as the worst year of his life and "I was even taking final fantasy jobs"
i like that he considers final fantasy 13 a downgrade from tales of vesperia

i mean, he's right, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Thats kinda funny, considering he said pretty much the exact opposite at the time.

http://t.joystiq.com/all/2012-05-30-troy-baker-the-industrys-new-nolan-north#1