Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

This feels increasingly like there's no finesse-based winning strategy here. Brute force may be the only option.

Does Roy have Great Cleave? How many HP do your average lvl 1 vampires have? Because it'd be really awesome for him to just go Conan on these fools.

I think vampires have 3 hull points and no shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think vampires have 3 hull points and no shields

oops, wrong thread lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The first part of that post applies aptly to the ordnance/bomb based meta of X-Wing right now though

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

There’s one in the US called The Gaming Goat - it’s hit or miss for quality and generally they are all about Magic despite selling everything else. The owner is active on Facebook and routinely brags about putting people out of business by selling product 30% off. It’s a lot like Walmart but just in the last year, at least in my state, people are starting to avoid his stores more.

For real? Theres like 10 of those places around me and another just opened real close by that i was gonna check out but if the dudes a dick then fuckem

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have had a quiet day at work so I have been checking out the lists that were run here in AU for Friday night fights since everyone is running the new FAQ.

It's a Palp gang bang everywhere. Regionals season is gonna be annoying.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Kimoglia torp boats still seems less obnoxious than scouts were. 8 health behind 1 agility on a small ship (with maybe a crappy dial?) is not nearly as oppressive as 9 health behind 2 agility on a large PWT ship with an excellent dial.
Could still be ridiculous, we'll see.
Yeah the jumpmaster dial was amazing, and the large base arc was incredibly oppressive.

The kilmoglia has a couple of advantages, small base slowroll and obstacles mean less, out PSing all generics, bullseye arc effect, better chips effect and the harpoons are crazy accurate and more damaging than any torp.

It should crush big ships but aces will likely Feast on them.

Edit: 2x harp boats + fenn Rau sounds very very fun though.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 3, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I have had a quiet day at work so I have been checking out the lists that were run here in AU for Friday night fights since everyone is running the new FAQ.

It's a Palp gang bang everywhere. Regionals season is gonna be annoying.

Stresshog gonna come back like crazy

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

hoiyes posted:

Yeah the jumpmaster dial was amazing, and the large base arc was incredibly oppressive.

The kilmoglia has a couple of advantages, small base slowroll and obstacles mean less, out PSing all generics, bullseye arc effect, better chips effect and the harpoons are crazy accurate and more damaging than any torp.

It should crush big ships but aces will likely Feast on them.

Edit: 2x harp boats + fenn Rau sounds very very fun though.

The turret was a big part f why the Jump was so good as well. 2 dice aren't much, but with the big base and blocking capacity, it's usually 3, and often 3 hits of it, even if no torps are flying, and with aces heavily suppressed by both bombs and those same torpedoes, they were free to prey hard on the low agility high hull ships that were king.

Kimo missile launchers won't be terribly scary, because they will be so easy to outflank or get behind.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

thespaceinvader posted:

Kimo missile launchers won't be terribly scary, because they will be so easy to outflank or get behind.

Yeah the dial sounds like complete rear end. Hard 1 & 2 being red males the ship drat near useless once any ships with a non poo poo dial gets near it. I'll see how it goes when it comes out, but it is going to have to be a R3 sniper. 1 forward barrel roll back all day

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

canyoneer posted:

I really like Contraband Cybernetics. It's like a one-shot Jake Farrell pilot ability + Hera crew.

Kimoglia torp boats still seems less obnoxious than scouts were. 8 health behind 1 agility on a small ship (with maybe a crappy dial?) is not nearly as oppressive as 9 health behind 2 agility on a large PWT ship with an excellent dial.
Could still be ridiculous, we'll see.

Do you mean Tycho?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer and Some Numbers, you have until Sunday night to report your games!

I just played LanceKing2200 and won 100-27, with ALL THE CRITS Leebo vs Deathrain Aces.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I just played LanceKing2200 and won 100-27, with ALL THE CRITS Leebo vs Deathrain Aces.

Surprise surprise, no one wants to play triple jumps, even if it is jankier than usual.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
My Soontir ate the entirety of a double-crit snap-shot tonight.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
He deserved it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Surprise surprise, no one wants to play triple jumps, even if it is jankier than usual.

Haha that list is hilarious tho

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

Yep, we're doing that tomorrow.

Corbeau posted:

My Soontir ate the entirety of a double-crit snap-shot tonight.

I'm actually totally fine with losing that game, because that Snap Shot was hilarious.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Managed to roll a store tournament at 300 points with Fenn/Serrisu/Oberos. Advanced sensors on the Viper mkII is fun.

Jesus it feels weird saying my Viper carried my round 3 match.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

X-WING DICE!!!! :argh:

canyoneer beat me 100-41, I was on CritSquadron vs ReyRebel.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

X-WING DICE!!!! :argh:

canyoneer beat me 100-41, I was on CritSquadron vs ReyRebel.

This is not a bump.

One of the natural Rey rolls at the beginning was 3 crits and a hit vs. Maarek at range 1 before Finn/expertise/reroll, so yeah, nice dice for Rey.

proof:

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 4, 2017

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Looking for some build opinions on gimmick game my group is doing. We're gonna do an ace battle Royale thing, and I wonder how not crap my idea is

The rules are single small base ship, max 35 points, no Lone Wolf. Everyone gets 3 lives, and winner is whoever does the most damage after everyone is dead.

While I could be boring and just make stock ace vader, I came up with this:

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Cloaking Device (2)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Vaksai (0)

Total: 35

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Wapole Languray posted:

Looking for some build opinions on gimmick game my group is doing. We're gonna do an ace battle Royale thing, and I wonder how not crap my idea is

The rules are single small base ship, max 35 points, no Lone Wolf. Everyone gets 3 lives, and winner is whoever does the most damage after everyone is dead.

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Cloaking Device (2)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Vaksai (0)

Wouldn’t the crane in place of the cloaking device be better? Won’t lots of stuff be dieing to give you reloads? Also, I imagine that chips would be better than munitions failsafe. Better to get the extra damage pushed through, especially if it is more likely that you can then get reloaded.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Wapole Languray posted:

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Cloaking Device (2)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Vaksai (0)

I'd drop PRS, cloaking, and assault missiles for chips, scav crane, harpoons, and push the limit. Blowing up on destruction is a good battle royale effect :)

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Okay makes sense, Cloak and PRS were ideas for survivability.

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Push the Limit (3)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Scavenger Crane (2)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Guidance Chips (0)
Munitions Failsafe (1)
Vaksai (0)

Something like this?

Edit: And I wanna say Voksai suddenly made the Kihrax one of my favorite ships.

Wapole Languray fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 4, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, that's how I'd outfit 32 points of Talonbane for that format.
Comedy options:
Rebel Nym with bomblet and autoblaster turret.
Ezra with TLT, Rage, Inspiring Recruit and shield upgrade

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Comedy Option:

Corran Horn with Adaptability and Collision Detector.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone know if there is going to be a TG secret santa this year?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Small base single ship 35 points Push Fenn is tough to beat. But I came top 2 and probably would have won yesterday with Intense Guri. She is hard as nails to pin down and harder to kill.

Sadly Intense Vader is 36, but VI Vader would also be very strong.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 5, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jankmaster5000 League Round 1 is over. Round 2 pairings available on the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Igizmy5S584unQA0FxBxfeKICe_elsven4ThqlKiOtI/edit#gid=1457164335

Some stats:

Most chosen list (TIE): 3x Deathrain Aces and 3x ALL THE CRITS Leebo + Chewie
Most flown list: 2x Deathrain Aces
Most losses list: 2x Deathrain Aces
The "holy poo poo someone chose it and won despite the nerf" award goes to: Comfortably Numb (beating Deathrain Aces)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

Jankmaster5000 League Round 1 is over. Round 2 pairings available on the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Igizmy5S584unQA0FxBxfeKICe_elsven4ThqlKiOtI/edit#gid=1457164335

Some stats:

Most chosen list (TIE): 3x Deathrain Aces and 3x ALL THE CRITS Leebo + Chewie
Most flown list: 2x Deathrain Aces
Most losses list: 2x Deathrain Aces
The "holy poo poo someone chose it and won despite the nerf" award goes to: Comfortably Numb (beating Deathrain Aces)

And I'd fly it again if I could! :argh:

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I'm looking to get into this game, have been for ages but now I've moved to an actual city (Glasgow) with regular play groups and some of my coworkers are into boardgames as well, so I can finally justify it.

My goal is to get enough at the start to field 100-point lists for both Imperials and Rebels, so I can get my coworkers playing, with a bit of room for experimenting within that.

My shopping cart so far has:

1x Core Set
1x Force Awakens Core Set
1x Heroes of the Resistance
1x VT-49 Decimator
1x TIE Fighter (for Howlrunner)

Not gonna be fielding competitive lists or anything, but it feels like a nice chunk of stuff to start with, and one of the YT-1300s is just a must-have for me. I'd hoped to get Imperial Aces/Veterans and Rebel Aces but both appear to be completely nonexistent in the UK, which is nice since apparently they have incredibly useful stuff that can't be found elsewhere, but what can you do.

Anyway, that's about as high as my budget can go -- any stupid buys in there at all? Better options to swap in that I might've missed?

Also when do the gunboats come out? I just found out today they're coming out and I'm so hyped for those!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

thorsilver posted:

So I'm looking to get into this game, have been for ages but now I've moved to an actual city (Glasgow) with regular play groups and some of my coworkers are into boardgames as well, so I can finally justify it.

My goal is to get enough at the start to field 100-point lists for both Imperials and Rebels, so I can get my coworkers playing, with a bit of room for experimenting within that.

My shopping cart so far has:

1x Core Set
1x Force Awakens Core Set
1x Heroes of the Resistance
1x VT-49 Decimator
1x TIE Fighter (for Howlrunner)

Not gonna be fielding competitive lists or anything, but it feels like a nice chunk of stuff to start with, and one of the YT-1300s is just a must-have for me. I'd hoped to get Imperial Aces/Veterans and Rebel Aces but both appear to be completely nonexistent in the UK, which is nice since apparently they have incredibly useful stuff that can't be found elsewhere, but what can you do.

Anyway, that's about as high as my budget can go -- any stupid buys in there at all? Better options to swap in that I might've missed?

Also when do the gunboats come out? I just found out today they're coming out and I'm so hyped for those!

Instead of the VT-49, which is a great ship, I'd buy 2 smaller Imperial expansions so you can field some cool fighters. Imperial Veterans is a great one. Unless you really want to run large ship Imperial lists.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't be afraid to print out lists from squad builders and play with those. There are a lot of cards spread out over multiple expansions that are considered Must Haves for certain lists. Especially with things being casual between coworkers, I would just print a list and fly what looks cool until your collection is built up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you're planning on using the cards you actually have, definitely grab the First Order TIE Fighter blister so you have Omega Leader and his loadout.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

If you're planning on using the cards you actually have, definitely grab the First Order TIE Fighter blister so you have Omega Leader and his loadout.

Just print out cards/lists from the internet if you're not going to tournaments.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
No release date for Waves 12 and 13 (including the Gunboat) yet, just before the end of 2017.

Definitely proxy upgrades when playing casually (just print the full card upgrade texts on whatever list generator site you use). Do you know if your local places allow proxying on competitive nights? All but one in my area allows this, with the obvious exception of real organized play tournaments (store champs, regionals, etc).

You can run a 5 TIE mini swarm with what you're buying. You can run Rey/Poe with what you're buying, or something like new Chewie and 2 generic T-70 Xwings.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

bonds0097 posted:

Instead of the VT-49, which is a great ship, I'd buy 2 smaller Imperial expansions so you can field some cool fighters. Imperial Veterans is a great one. Unless you really want to run large ship Imperial lists.

I was planning to buy Imperial Vets, but like I said they seem to be impossible to get in the UK unless I want to spend 2-3x MSRP. Imperial Aces are even harder to find. The VT-49 is way cheaper than that and looks fun so that's my backup plan.

Any other options you'd recommend over the VT-49 that aren't any of the Vets/Aces stuff?

canyonero posted:

No release date for Waves 12 and 13 (including the Gunboat) yet, just before the end of 2017.

OK cool, my bank account might have recovered by then :v:

Some Numbers posted:

Would you say I'm better off getting that instead of the regular TIE to start with?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

thorsilver posted:

I was planning to buy Imperial Vets, but like I said they seem to be impossible to get in the UK unless I want to spend 2-3x MSRP. Imperial Aces are even harder to find. The VT-49 is way cheaper than that and looks fun so that's my backup plan.

Any other options you'd recommend over the VT-49 that aren't any of the Vets/Aces stuff?

OK cool, my bank account might have recovered by then :v:

Would you say I'm better off getting that instead of the regular TIE to start with?

Ah, that's too bad. I really like the Defender with the Vet stuff. You may consider just buying a regular defender and printing out some of the cards from vets.

I would definitely grab FO and SF TIE over the original TIE. One (or both) of those and VT-49 seems like a good bet if Vets aren't an option. If you just want more ships, ditch VT and grab some of the random ships like Phantom, Inquisitor's TIE, Aggressor, Striker, etc. Just gives you more options. But the VT-49 is great too, just depends on whether you want more stuff or a bigger thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thorsilver posted:

It depends on what direction you want to go with Imps. If you want to fly a TIE swarm, get an original TIE. If you want to fly a group of high PS ships, definitely grab the TIE/fo, because Omega Leader is probably the best 26 points you can spend.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Though I've never flown it myself, I wholeheartedly recommend picking up the Decimator since there's very few other ships in the game that actively encourage you to run over enemy ships while shouting "BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKER" :killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
mmmm, homebrew

• Locked thread