Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

well why not posted:

Game of Thrones has massive mainstream appeal, so it can survive with it's audience being 75%+ non-paying. Star Trek probably doesn't.

Oh I completely agree. Which is why I think CBS has completely misjudged this gamble.

Like, if new Star Trek were on regular CBS, or, I dunno, Netflix or Hulu, which has tons of other channels worth of content, I'd watch it. But no way in hell am I paying for CBS as a separate service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
CBS's streaming service is going to do about as well as UPN did.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
CBS should just put all their stuff on Giant Bomb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
CBS definitely is mistaken if they think they have enough content to entice people to pay $10 a month. I mean, we're not talking about having access to every show CBS ever aired right(ala HBO GO)?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They already recognize the importance of having and keeping the old Treks on Netflix, why the gently caress did they think their own streaming service would be a better home than Netflix? Goddamn.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They already recognize the importance of having and keeping the old Treks on Netflix, why the gently caress did they think their own streaming service would be a better home than Netflix? Goddamn.

The old Treks are still on Netflix and Amazon because CBS signed huge long-term contracts years ago, before everyone realized how much money there is in streaming -- just like how Fox and Viacom and other companies have been pulling stuff from Netflix and Hulu over the past year to put them on their own streaming services, I guarantee you the minute those deals are up all the Treks are going to be exclusive to All Access.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had a feeling that was the case and it breaks my heart. TNG is the ultimate show to put on when I don't know what else to watch.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Teek posted:

I wonder if tonally the movie was coming off more as a spoof of Star Wars than feeling like actual Star Wars. Like they were taking what should have been serious or neutral on the page, and made it tongue in cheek.

I'm not seeing many people address Kasdan being unhappy with how they were doing it either. He was both the writer and an executive producer on the project, and if he wasn't happy with how they were treating the material he wrote, that seems like a recipe to get fired.

If Kathleen Kennedy isn't happy because they're not shooting the way she wants it shot (Maybe step behind the camera Kathleen) then it would've been really easy for Kasdan to get in her ear about how they're ruining his script.

Besides, isn't it literally always the case in these things that you shoot what's on the page first and then do alternate takes? They should've done what they've done plenty of times before and locked them out of editing if that's the case. As it is now they won't move that release date, so someone is going to have to go in and do a whole lot of reshooting quick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the idea of Kasdan being a stuffed shirt who gets really angry about the concept of improvisation

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I had a feeling that was the case and it breaks my heart. TNG is the ultimate show to put on when I don't know what else to watch.

This is why I tend to buy Blu-ray versions of series I like when I know they're up for renewal. It just sucks when you lose it on the streaming service. You think it's owed to you cuz you pay for the service, but it's all contingent on contracts.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You guys are missing something here. They got fired because they go off script often. Kennedy saw a lot of footage and realized tone was off, because she liked the script. If Kasadan and his son wrote it, I have faith. A fix to stay true to the script is not blowing it, it's probably smart. If anyone can make a movie nobody really wanted, it's the guy who wrote Empire

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd probably side with the directors since Disney keeps firing losing directors.

What's the count so far? Brenda Chapman taken off Brave, Gareth Edwards on Rogue One, Edgar Wright with Ant-Man, Patty Jenkins on Thor: The Dark World, Joss Whedon after making Age of Ultron...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For some reason I thought Miles Teller was playing Han Sheev Solo... My hope that this movie won't be total garbage has been raised slightly. But I did just learn that Game of Thrones chick is going to be (presumably) a main character, so... Still probably garbage.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

I love the idea of Kasdan being a stuffed shirt who gets really angry about the concept of improvisation

It's kind of different when you see something as your story and not someone else's. And I wouldn't be surprised if Kasdan felt that way about this. Han Solo is very dear and personal to him as a character. When presented with a list of options by Lucas of which spin-off movie he wanted to write (this was before the sale to Disney; Lucas apparently developed three treatments for spin-off films which were then part of the sale), he chose the Han Solo prequel.

Many years ago, after working on ROTJ, Kasdan vowed never to write for another person ever again; he wanted to make his own movies. And that's what he did for years, but then he was called back to work on these new Star Wars films--originally by Lucas, but then he found himself working under Disney. I can see how it could be a frustrating situation for him if he felt his vision wasn't being respected. Kasdan and Lucas are similar in that respect, at least.

LionArcher posted:

You guys are missing something here. They got fired because they go off script often. Kennedy saw a lot of footage and realized tone was off, because she liked the script. If Kasadan and his son wrote it, I have faith. A fix to stay true to the script is not blowing it, it's probably smart. If anyone can make a movie nobody really wanted, it's the guy who wrote Empire

As much as I respect Kasdan, his solo career after Jedi--consisting of movies he actually had full creative control over as writer, director, and producer--will attest to the fact that the man has a less-than-flawless track record. Of course no one ever brings that up because no one knows about or remembers most of those movies, and for good reason.

And that's okay, of course. I'd rather someone be free to express their vision and fail more times than not than have an endless procession of anodyne, focus-tested, and impersonal successes.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 21, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd probably side with the directors since Disney keeps firing losing directors.

Gareth Edwards on Rogue One
Edwards wasn't fired from Rogue One. :confused:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Edwards wasn't fired from Rogue One. :confused:

It's increasingly believed that Dan Gilroy was the one in charge of the reshoots though and not Edwards.

Egbert Souse posted:

What's the count so far? Brenda Chapman taken off Brave, Gareth Edwards on Rogue One, Edgar Wright with Ant-Man, Patty Jenkins on Thor: The Dark World, Joss Whedon after making Age of Ultron...

Technically Branagh walked away from THE DARK WORLD as well. Alan Taylor was locked out of reshoots and editing of THE DARK WORLD, and didn't get to see the movie until the Premiere.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm not sure you can equate what's happened with Marvel and what's happening with Lucasfilm. Yes, they're both owned by Disney, but all accounts say the execs in charge of the companies are allowed to do what they want. If there's a problem, they change the execs in charge (like what happened with Ike Perlmutter at Marvel Studios). But Kathleen Kennedy had nothing to do with Marvel directors leaving/being fired, and vice versa.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

As much as I respect Kasdan, his solo career after Jedi--consisting of movies he actually had full creative control over as writer, director, and producer--will attest to the fact that the man has a less-than-flawless track record. Of course no one ever brings that up because no one knows about or remembers most of those movies, and for good reason.

Silverado owns.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't know why but I watched French Kiss a ton as a kid. And looking through his filmography drat him and Kevin Kline must of really hit it off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I don't know why but I watched French Kiss a ton as a kid. And looking through his filmography drat him and Kevin Kline must of really hit it off.

I misread this at first and thought you said "I don't why but I french kissed a ton as a kid" and was just like "ooooookay then..."

Anyway, hopefully Han Solo movie is good. Disney managed to work Rogue One out so hopefully they can do it for this. If not, welp. As long as the numbered titles are good, I'm fine.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Covok posted:

As long as the numbered titles are good, I'm fine.

Did you see Jurassic World?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yaws posted:

Did you see Jurassic World?

Yeah, it was pretty boring, but scratched the itch. The only thing I really remember from it, though, was the scene where they brutally, brutally murdered the babysitter who did nothing to deserve it the entire film. Like, brutally murdered her.

Oh, gently caress, Episode 9...

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, it was pretty boring, but scratched the itch. The only thing I really remember from it, though, was the scene where they brutally, brutally murdered the babysitter who did nothing to deserve it the entire film. Like, brutally murdered her.
I didn't get that either. They gave the most horrific death in the series to an ancillary innocuous side character. Like, save that poo poo for the villain

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yaws posted:

I didn't get that either. They gave the most horrific death in the series to an ancillary innocuous side character. Like, save that poo poo for the villain

Yeah, the villain got off really easy. Oooh, a velociraptor ate him. Well, the loving baby making GBS threads got dragged by a ptreodactly, fought over between two pterodactlys, then eaten whole by a moarsaurs!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sounds good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yaws posted:

I didn't get that either. They gave the most horrific death in the series to an ancillary innocuous side character.

How is this different from Jurassic Park, The Lost World, or Jurassic Park III? Each one has a moment where a side character gets completely brutally owned out of nowhere.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

How is this different from Jurassic Park, The Lost World, or Jurassic Park III? Each one has a moment where a side character gets completely brutally owned out of nowhere.

I don't recall a death so prolonged and needlessly cruel but it's been awhile since I've seen them

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Am I the only one who thought the funniest shot in Jurassic World was when the the park security SWAT guy with the pump shotgun just keeps steadfastly firing into the mouth of the charging Indominus? The actor obviously had nothing to act against but they might have said, "Keep firing until we signal, then flinch or duck or something indicating you know you are about to be eaten." You could dub Gold Five telling him to, "Stay on target," over each shot the guy fires. Dude was dedicated.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yaws posted:

I don't recall a death so prolonged and needlessly cruel but it's been awhile since I've seen them

Eddie in Lost World gets the business pretty good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Eddie in Lost World gets the business pretty good.

And while it wasn't shown on screen, it couldn't have been quick and painless for that girl at the beginning eaten by the compies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

And while it wasn't shown on screen, it couldn't have been quick and painless for that girl at the beginning eaten by the compies.

It was actually made clear in an off-hand line that she lived through the experience. Something like "she was severely injured, but thank god she lived: could you image how much worse off we would be." I think a lawyer said it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Covok posted:

It was actually made clear in an off-hand line that she lived through the experience. Something like "she was severely injured, but thank god she lived: could you image how much worse off we would be." I think a lawyer said it.

Hammond says it when he's talking to Malcolm, something like, "Oh, she's fine, she's fine, much better now."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yaws posted:

It's the most prolonged one but each of the previous three has a moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2kxdQf3t0

The little guys do start chewing up a guy on screen too, and while the final consuming happens off screen they make it very clear he just got painfully owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPWeivDdyY

They say outright that the girl survives, but I forget it's part of Hammond intentionally playing down the danger or not or if it's after or before Malcom knows his ex-girlfriend is there/etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 22, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I forgot about that. Though he's probably downplaying the severity.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who cares. It's a monster movie and moments like that are part and parcel with it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Who cares. It's a monster movie and moments like that are part and parcel with it.

I know, why would people in a film discussion thread discuss the content of a film? Just turn your brain off and have fun!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

The little guys do start chewing up a guy on screen too, and while the final consuming happens off screen they make it very clear he just got painfully owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPWeivDdyY

I like this because that is how Hammond was killed in the book. By chickens.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

homullus posted:

I know, why would people in a film discussion thread discuss the content of a film? Just turn your brain off and have fun!
I think what Vintersorg is trying to say is that you should expect innocent people to be senselessly and pointlessly murdered in a monster movie.

Even with that in mind though I do think that death in Jurassic World is a little overboard.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Never would have guessed that Jurassic Park chat would increase after the SMG ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

UmOk posted:

I like this because that is how Hammond was killed in the book. By chickens.

Didn't they bite with a venom that made Hammond high so he sort of dreamily watched as they ate him alive?

• Locked thread