Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Did this 3 months ago and it took like 6 hours total :shepface: don't do ot use lightning blade.

you need it to get all of the achievements, not because it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Manatee Cannon posted:

you need it to get all of the achievements, not because it's good

I did this too its still not worth it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Can anyone please tell me what kind of stats do you have to possess to make warden twinblades worthwhile? It's for a hollow dex faith character that usually gets by with an estoc. :histdowns:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
No luck? Regardless all you really need for a bleed build is carthus rouge and the rest takes care of itself.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you're not going to raise luck, then just stick with a Sellsword Twinblade. With a Carthous Rouge on it you'll barely notice a difference in the bleed buildup and it will hit for a lot more damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If a red phantom uses a healing spell, will it heal other red phantoms if they are nearby?

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

If a red phantom uses a healing spell, will it heal other red phantoms if they are nearby?

I also am curious as I got into a 4 way battle with a phantom and Hodrick in the undead settlement and it seemed like his healing spell was healing every single one of us. Me and my buddy were in stiches as all 4 of us were just bashing the gently caress out of each other and getting nowhere. Then the Giant Archer got involved.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

istoleapig posted:

I also am curious as I got into a 4 way battle with a phantom and Hodrick in the undead settlement and it seemed like his healing spell was healing every single one of us. Me and my buddy were in stiches as all 4 of us were just bashing the gently caress out of each other and getting nowhere. Then the Giant Archer got involved.
Warmth is a particular case because it heals everybody, ally or not. I imagine the question is about ally healing spells specifically.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
After starting a new character dedicated to low level invasions I've learned that most players apparently don't believe in Vigor or Endurance.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can anyone drop 2 pale tongues for me? I need to respec and I suck at invasions and farming is boring as hell.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Can anyone drop 2 pale tongues for me? I need to respec and I suck at invasions and farming is boring as hell.

Can't drop covenant items, sorry mate, did you already use the one by the demon and Siegward?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Farming a Pale Tongue should not take longer than 5 minutes, they are far, far more common than Ears. You might even get a Swordgrass or Heavy Gem while you're around. Hell, the farming does itself before the Abyss Watchers, activate them, do sth else, kill the survivors and reap the rewards.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I'm starting to become amused when people disconnect when I invade. One guy tried to hide and the instant I found him, the connection was lost. Not suspicious at all. I found one guy when he was right in front of the boss fog and he immediately disconnected when he saw me. Why not just go through the fog?

Edit: That last one was actually kind of funny because apparently the guy had just summoned Anri and Horace right before I spawned and the NPCs tried to gank me. They were both swinging away like mad at my spawn point before I had even fully appeared. They then chased me a fair way away so I guess maybe the host disconnected because Anri and Horace cared much more about me than about the boss. They completely lost interest in me the instant the host disconnected.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

...! posted:

I'm starting to become amused when people disconnect when I invade. One guy tried to hide and the instant I found him, the connection was lost. Not suspicious at all. I found one guy when he was right in front of the boss fog and he immediately disconnected when he saw me. Why not just go through the fog?

In the second case, if you're in one of the areas with two bosses he might have already killed that boss and thus couldn't go through the fog anymore (if I'm remembering how it works correctly).

But yeah, some people are the biggest babies. The absolute best is when you spend 10 minutes wearing down phantom after phantom and then when you finally get them down to a sliver of health they disconnect. No truer victory can be known than that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Genocyber posted:

In the second case, if you're in one of the areas with two bosses he might have already killed that boss and thus couldn't go through the fog anymore (if I'm remembering how it works correctly).

But yeah, some people are the biggest babies. The absolute best is when you spend 10 minutes wearing down phantom after phantom and then when you finally get them down to a sliver of health they disconnect. No truer victory can be known than that.

This was the Cathedral. Can't be invaded if the Deacons are dead.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

He may be waiting for his pal sign to appear so disconnecting was logical for him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more likely answer is he was just a massive coward like most players.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

...! posted:

They completely lost interest in me the instant the host disconnected.

Their code was probably being run on the invader's machine so when the disconnection happened their AI was disconnected. You must have been sent back immediately after the disconnection too?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

...! posted:

After starting a new character dedicated to low level invasions I've learned that most players apparently don't believe in Vigor or Endurance.

Yeah, I found that at low levels, if you've invested in VIG/END and just Raw up to about +5, you will thrash 90% of the people you meet. Especially if you get through a bit of the game and get carthus flame arc and a couple of rings (FAP). I like to pair it with the Knight Slayer's Ring, because they will block 3 hits and then be stunned (since they have no END), so you can riposte them for 1HKO.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

-S- posted:

Yeah, I found that at low levels, if you've invested in VIG/END and just Raw up to about +5, you will thrash 90% of the people you meet. Especially if you get through a bit of the game and get carthus flame arc and a couple of rings (FAP). I like to pair it with the Knight Slayer's Ring, because they will block 3 hits and then be stunned (since they have no END), so you can riposte them for 1HKO.

As always in these games, serious business PvP honor dueling at level 150 is loving boring compared to trolling weakass new characters

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I finally beat the game. Only nameless king is left. Is lords of exile any fun? I hear it's like dark souls

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

RC Cola posted:

I finally beat the game. Only nameless king is left. Is lords of exile any fun? I hear it's like dark souls
Do you mean Lord of the Fallen? Yes, it's like Dark Souls, pretty much exactly like it, however do you remember the part about Dark Souls daringly breaking conventions, showing blatant disregard for player comfort but somehow succeeding through sheer power of amazing game design? Yeah, forget about that. I got Lords for a tenner for a cheap knockoff Souls fix and I did get my money's worth, but only because I really like bitching about terrible-rear end games. It is truly bad and if you're looking for "fun" after the standard definition of the word, stay the hell away from it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Lords of the Fallen is incredibly pretty and has some fantastic ideas, but the execution is dogshit. The animations are way too long and the hitboxes are wonky as hell. Giving bosses extra rewards if you flawless them/do them in a specific way is cool, except there's no way to figure out what they want you to do and you can't repeat the bossfights, so it's wiki and alt-f4 all the way. Giving out a mana-using customizable gun so every build can use mana is smart, but using the gun is crappy controls and impact wise.

The only good idea that they executed well without reservations is reward you with more drops and xp the longer you go without banking them by hitting a bonfire. That's awesome and should be copied by all souls-likes.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

skasion posted:

As always in these games, serious business PvP honor dueling at level 150 is loving boring compared to trolling weakass new characters

I can't tell if you're joking, but that is a true statement.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

-S- posted:

I can't tell if you're joking, but that is a true statement.

I'm completely serious. These games aren't balanced whatsoever, you aren't gonna get a fair fight, so the best way to experience competitive multiplayer in them is to prove that the weak should fear the strong.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How long is lords of the fallen? I mean I got it for free on ps+ so I may want to play it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not very long. It took me 24 hours but that's with a fair share of running around and some stupid deaths. Just one tip: dashing with your shield up is the most useful movement in that game and you'll know why.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's in the range of 12-20 hours. Decent length, but not something that lasts for a particularly long time.

Lords is designed pretty interestingly in that it's all about committing to your actions and not button mashing. You swing extremely slowly and consume less stamina per swing if you time your presses correctly instead of just slamming the attack button. Even the fast weapons keep this philosophy because they do a huge amount of damage if you chain 3 timed hits in a combo, but just like with hitting once with a slower weapon, this requires committing ahead of time.

Where it falls apart a bit in my opinion is that the enemies aren't really designed with the same philosophy in mind. Many of them have attack animations that can start and complete in half the time of a medium length swing for you, so it often feels like you have no choice but to take hits. It's very similar to dark souls 3's issue where you're playing dark souls while the enemies are playing bloodborne, only it's more extreme. The game does let you suit up in heavy armor and tank a ton of damage so I think this may be intentional to some degree, but it still doesn't feel very good in practice. I do think it's worth playing though

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RC Cola posted:

You know how bonfires are major part of the aesthetic and the lore of Dark Souls, how they flare into life, give you glimpses of other players, and how the creepy sword-in-bones design is part of the decayed and broken universe?

Lords of the Fallen has giant floating crystals literally labelled "Save Point"

Animations and armour design is top-notch though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, I loved how weapons and armor looked in LotF. Heavy armor really made you feel like a tank and actually absorbs damage unlike in souls games. There's the same three roll levels like in Dark Souls 1 and shields are really well designed with more choices than "parry shield or grass crest for stamina regen".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The backstab animations are goddamn awesome, especially the greataxe one

I'm not a huge fan of the armor and weapon design as it looks very "busy" and overdrawn to me, where nothing has a clear silhouette. This extends to the environment where it's often hard to make out important objects and interactable things. But it definitely has its own art style and an identity of its own, and it's very good looking on a technical level. Never understood the complaints that it doesn't have its own style/identity or whatever. The game is in a weird place where it's undeniably riddled with flaws, but people go on such a hilarious hate train over it that they massively exaggerate them or just fabricate problems with it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think that the art of Lords of the Fallen is super generic and not good at all myself, aside from the technical execution of it (high fidelity and good textures and poo poo)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does LotF have a satisfying conclusion or is it a very clear would-be franchise hook?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I got LotF for free on Xbox 1 and got to the third boss who I can't beat so I stopped playing. Well thanks for reading

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Simply Simon posted:

Do you mean Lord of the Fallen? Yes, it's like Dark Souls, pretty much exactly like it, however do you remember the part about Dark Souls daringly breaking conventions, showing blatant disregard for player comfort but somehow succeeding through sheer power of amazing game design? Yeah, forget about that. I got Lords for a tenner for a cheap knockoff Souls fix and I did get my money's worth, but only because I really like bitching about terrible-rear end games. It is truly bad and if you're looking for "fun" after the standard definition of the word, stay the hell away from it.

I've played a bit of it since it came out on PS+ and I actually find the design and execution of the game really funny in places. Like, it's absolutely blatant and unashamed in copying Dark Souls in all the up-front mechanical aspects, to the point that it has an alternate controller setting where you can set it to specifically have Dark Souls' controls.

And then it takes all of the silly, cliche, videogame-rear end things that Dark Souls consciously left out in the service of atmosphere, simplicity and art, and crowbars them all back in. It's rammed with story cut-scenes, and actual audiologs every three goddamn rooms. Audiologs don't even fit the setting, but here they are, and there's loving tons of them in case you miss any of the game's completely forgettable backstory. It's great - people still rave about and debate the story of Dark Souls 1 precisely because you have to go looking for it, and what you find is subtle and rewards connecting the dots yourself. LotF works as a fantastic counterexample - it shovels backstory at you so fast that it very quickly becomes irritating white noise.

It's hard to see what the idea behind LotF was. Whether the designers deliberately set out to make a Souls game more accessible to players who usually only play AAA-type stuff, or whether they wanted to create an actual decent Souls alternative but were compromised by publisher demands. It's hard to believe that a group of designers so obviously familiar with Souls could put all the bad stuff that LotF has into the game and not realise that they were only detracting from what's good about Souls.

It's worth a play - it's not the worst game ever made or anything and it gets more poo poo than it deserves because internet dudes love to angrily complain about things in lieu of being able to do proper criticism. But it functions best as a game that'll make you better understand why Souls is so outstanding by counter-example.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

-S- posted:

I've kept my character at level 30 and weapons at raw +2 because I don't want to level out of invasion range of most players but I'm starting to wonder if I'm not being too conservative. I do most of my invading in the Cathedral (fun as hell level for stalking people with silvercat ring + obscuring ring) and I'm thinking I could go a bit higher.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

...! posted:

I've kept my character at level 30 and weapons at raw +2 because I don't want to level out of invasion range of most players but I'm starting to wonder if I'm not being too conservative. I do most of my invading in the Cathedral (fun as hell level for stalking people with silvercat ring + obscuring ring) and I'm thinking I could go a bit higher.

I get/got constant hits in the swamp @ level 30 up to +4 or +5. I went ahead and took my character to 50 @ +7, and I get Aldrich hits constantly (obv. I'm leveled out of the wolves/cathedral zones now).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah upgrade your weapon. Most people get up to a +2 by the time they get to Undead Settlement so you can get hits in loads of places with a +4, basically from Settlement all the way to Irithyll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

Does LotF have a satisfying conclusion or is it a very clear would-be franchise hook?

A little bit of both really.