Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm looking at battery packs (for a 12.9" iPad Pro), is there any significant difference between these $100 (also only $80 on Amazon I think) and $150 ones? They're both 20,000 mAH, and the cheaper one actually has more charging ports. The more expensive one seems to charge a bit faster, but I'm assuming the other will still be fast enough to keep an iPad Pro running while it's in use? Anyone know if there's any difference in durability between the two? I'll be carrying it around with me a lot and I'd like it to last for a long time.

Alternatively, if anyone has recommendations for other brands or models then I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Koramei posted:

I'm looking at battery packs (for a 12.9" iPad Pro), is there any significant difference between these $100 (also only $80 on Amazon I think) and $150 ones? They're both 20,000 mAH, and the cheaper one actually has more charging ports. The more expensive one seems to charge a bit faster, but I'm assuming the other will still be fast enough to keep an iPad Pro running while it's in use? Anyone know if there's any difference in durability between the two? I'll be carrying it around with me a lot and I'd like it to last for a long time.

Alternatively, if anyone has recommendations for other brands or models then I'm all ears.

The $149 can put out 30W so you can charge a laptop with it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anker makes a 30W one that is significantly cheaper and probably better.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

African AIDS cum posted:

Haven't kept up with Apple hardware for years, any reason I shouldn't get a 12" Macbook? Used to use a 12" ibook then the smallest macbook air so the size should be fine for me

It's mostly good for casual user type stuff but beware the keyboard sucks a million dicks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Keyboard on the MacBook is pretty good. It's better than the one on the current MBP.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

Noctone posted:

It's mostly good for casual user type stuff but beware the keyboard sucks a million dicks.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Proteus Jones posted:

They have branded loving BADGES. This "cute name for an exploit" wore out it's welcome around the time of Heartbleed. Everyone in the infosec community claims to hate this trend, but then they end up branding their own research when they find something big. It's a huge joke.

I'd rather big flaws have dumb but recognisable names rather than CVE-984375938475

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Proteus Jones posted:

Keyboard on the MacBook is pretty good. It's better than the one on the current MBP.

It's not but it's more excusable on something that small.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Proteus Jones posted:

Don't the 2017 MB have the same keyboard now?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I upgraded my 5,1 Mac Pro to High Sierra and my add-in nVidia card (GT 750) isn't working with the web drivers. I can install the drivers but when I reboot it will always use OSX Default Graphics Drivers no matter what.

Any ideas?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Didja try:

Disabling SIP?

or entering
code:
sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"
into Terminal?

Make sure the web driver version matches your OS X build.

Also, use the program here, nVidia Web Driver Updater. I've never had a problem using this and it also issues the proper NVRAM settings for you.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 8, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Didja try:

Disabling SIP?

or entering
code:
sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"
into Terminal?

Make sure the web driver version matches your OS X build.

Also, use the program here, nVidia Web Driver Updater. I've never had a problem using this and it also issues the proper NVRAM settings for you.

SIP needs to be enabled during install per nVidia or install will fail.

Tried terminal command but it could only be entered in the Recovery partition and even then it didn't seem to stick.

nVidia Web Driver Updater didn't seem to do anything more that manually downloading the drivers would do.

I ended up fixing it by uninstalling the drivers, reboot, perform PRAM reset, connect via VNC and reinstall the drivers. After that everything works normal again.

Thanks for your help!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm moving from a 2014 MBP to a 2017 MBP, and I use a 2014 Thunderbolt monitor. My future has some adapters in it, I think.

The monitor's got 3 USB slots, one Thunderbolt 2, and Firewire (which I've never used for anything, so I have no idea if it's an option at all), so which cable should I do - A) Thunder 2 to USB-C, or B) USB to USB-C, or C) something else?

Next: will any of those methods charge the mbp, or will I have to get a magsafe-to-USB-C adapter (or simply plug in to the actual charger)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jackpot posted:

I'm moving from a 2014 MBP to a 2017 MBP, and I use a 2014 Thunderbolt monitor. My future has some adapters in it, I think.

The monitor's got 3 USB slots, one Thunderbolt 2, and Firewire (which I've never used for anything, so I have no idea if it's an option at all), so which cable should I do - A) Thunder 2 to USB-C, or B) USB to USB-C, or C) something else?
A

jackpot posted:

Next: will any of those methods charge the mbp, or will I have to get a magsafe-to-USB-C adapter (or simply plug in to the actual charger)?
Nope, they won't charge, and I don't think there is a magsafe to USB-C (aside form Kickstarters)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jackpot posted:

Apple makes a proper Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter which we’ve confirmed works to connect the Thunderbolt Display to a new MBP at work.

You’ll still need to run a separate power cable into the MBP though because as was noted above there isn’t a MagSafe -> USB-C converter.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Thanks everyone.

Bob Morales posted:

Nope, they won't charge, and I don't think there is a magsafe to USB-C (aside form Kickstarters)
Ah, I see now. Lots of results for "magsafe to usb-c" on amazon but they're all just magnetic/breakaway usb adapters. Apparently Apple keeps a pretty tight grip on the actual Magsafe 2 patent.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just in case anyone was curious about my old-rear end Macbook Pro with a broken screen connector, I ended up ordering this keyboard and have been thrilled with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PIMIUPW

It's been ~3 weeks so far but haven't had to charge it, it feels exactly like the actual keyboard on the macbook both in size and tactile feedback, and the layout is almost exactly the same. Doesn't do multiple devices but :shrug: it was cheap as hell and I trust Anker and don't care about device switching.

Once I get this tiny-rear end mouse replaced with a trackpad I'll finally have my laptop (mostly) back :unsmith: Maybe if the display connector is a cheap fix it could be portable again too! #2018goals

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had a feeling it would be the Anker, I have one too. You’re right about charging, I can’t even remember the last time I did... I probably should put it on charge soon before it dies on me.

The one thing I don’t like, and it’s super odd, is that the key combination to cut/paste rather than copy/paste doesn’t work. I have no idea why. Instead I just hold option and select Move from either the Edit menu or the right click menu so it’s no biggie.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Had a feeling it would be the Anker, I have one too. You’re right about charging, I can’t even remember the last time I did... I probably should put it on charge soon before it dies on me.

The one thing I don’t like, and it’s super odd, is that the key combination to cut/paste rather than copy/paste doesn’t work. I have no idea why. Instead I just hold option and select Move from either the Edit menu or the right click menu so it’s no biggie.

Yeah you mentioned Anker had one so I checked it out and between the similarity and great price I pulled the trigger so thank you! :) haven't had that issue, it's disconnected a handful of times but I've got a ton of 2.4ghz wireless networks and devices in my area so I'm not going to complain if my shitposting gets delayed by ~3 seconds once a week.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

So I did a dumb thing: bought a monitor without noticing the resolution is 1080p instead of 1440p. I should've seen it, but the monitor I've been using for four years is 1440p and so I took it for granted that four years later any new monitor I bought would be just as good. And it's not.

Anyway, I'm gonna return it and go for something else - I'm thinking of this unless anyone sees a reason not to.

Also, for ports it's got VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, and Display Port - and from what I'm reading VGA won't do 2560x1440. I was gonna get an HDMI->USB-C cable as long as that'll gimme 2560. Sound ok?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

jackpot posted:

Anyway, I'm gonna return it and go for something else - I'm thinking of this unless anyone sees a reason not to.

It looks ugly and has giant bezels?

What are you using it for?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if that’s an older model that’s been hanging around, cos it seems more expensive than I’d presume. I have an IPS AOC display I bought last year, 27” with a pretty thin bezel that’s 1080p (I was hoping for a 1440p display too) that I bought from BestBuy for $150.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah that model was released in February of 2015. Unless you’re looking to match something you already have, I would look into something newer than that if you can.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got this for $274 in November. No idea why the price is so much higher now but should be a great deal when it goes on sale.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microcenter has the just-released iMac Pro for $1000 off (20%) now so if you've been waiting for a sale...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=686402

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Microcenter has the just-released iMac Pro for $1000 off (20%) now so if you've been waiting for a sale...

:asoiaf:

1. Suddenly a $3999 computer sounds like a deal
2. People who bought at full price gon be mad
3. Anyone else know that guy on Reddit who's always says nobody can undercut Apple on Macs and B&H and Microcenter break the law

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

3. Anyone else know that guy on Reddit who's always says nobody can undercut Apple on Macs and B&H and Microcenter break the law

When I worked for Frys a decade ago there was definitely a maximum discounted price (we could only do $5 off iPods for instance) but I don’t think that has been the case for years and years.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The AppleCare on my 15" rMBP is up on the 15th - can I take it in and have them check it over before it expires to see if there are any issues, or would I actually need to have an active issue for them to check it out?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SourKraut posted:

The AppleCare on my 15" rMBP is up on the 15th - can I take it in and have them check it over before it expires to see if there are any issues, or would I actually need to have an active issue for them to check it out?

They don’t really do preventative checkups. You can maybe use Coconut Battery to see if that’s borderline, but otherwise just know that you paid for peace of mind.

The Apple store is swamped with phone batteries now. You don’t really want to go there for fun anyways.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder if that’s an older model that’s been hanging around, cos it seems more expensive than I’d presume. I have an IPS AOC display I bought last year, 27” with a pretty thin bezel that’s 1080p (I was hoping for a 1440p display too) that I bought from BestBuy for $150.
True it's an older model but unless I'm missing something this one is 1440p. There aren't a ton of monitors at this resolution and price, from what I'm seeing.

KingEup posted:

It looks ugly and has giant bezels?

What are you using it for?
Ugly is fine, bezels are fine. I do design, this is my monitor for days when I'm working from home or on the weekend. I've got a 2014 Thunderbolt I use at work, I'd love to have something close to that without spending gobs of money. Hence the $250 AOC.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 14, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

jackpot posted:

True it's an older model but unless I'm missing something this one is 1440p. There aren't a ton of monitors at this resolution and price, from what I'm seeing.

Ugly is fine, bezels are fine. I do design, this is my monitor for days when I'm working from home or on the weekend. I've got a 2014 Thunderbolt I use at work, I'd love to have something close to that without spending gobs of money. Hence the $250 AOC.

The reason that AOC monitor is so cheap is that it's poop from a butt. It has a TN LCD panel, and at 27" you are going to see the everloving poo poo out of TN's extremely viewing angle dependent color rendering and contrast ratio. If by design you mean graphical design, you really, really, really want an IPS panel.

(Actually you want one even if all you do is code like me. IPS is just massively better, the only people who want TN are gamers obsessed with response time.)

(Also AOC is a garbage tier brand.)

Here is another IPS 1440p that is not too expensive, and Asus is a step up from AOC. I have one at work and it is good.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB278Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B009C3M7H0

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you can deal with a smaller physical size (but same resolution) the Dell 25" is around $330. There’s a few different model numbers on Amazon and I’m not sure of the differences though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Are the newer Mbps better than the first ones with the touchscreen bar thing? I feel like there's been a laptop drought the last few years but my 2010 Thinkpad is showing age

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

shovelbum posted:

Are the newer Mbps better than the first ones with the touchscreen bar thing? I feel like there's been a laptop drought the last few years but my 2010 Thinkpad is showing age

As an owner of a tb mbp, get a 2015.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
13" MacBook Pro without touch bar is a great way to go if you can manage with a dual core.

I have a 15" MBP with Touch Bar and its super average.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'd say it depends on what you use use it for. I have a 15" rMBP and it's perfectly fine. In fact I even use the touch-bar far more often than I thought I would and I even like it.

If I were just using it for writing white-papers, review of project design and documentation, email and Zoom meetings, a 13" rMBP or even a 12" rMB would be perfectly adequate.

However, I also use it regularly to run a couple VMs and PyCharm for developing some internal tools. So the extra oomph and bigger screen is a must for me for when I'm not plugged into a desk with external monitors. The larger screen is also good for reviewing network and process diagrams in Omnigraffle.

If money is an issue, look at the refurb listings at Apple.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'd wait for a new rMBP that uses the newfangled Intel i7s with the AMD GPUs or a 13-inch you can equip with a quad-core CPU.. current rMBPs are lovely for what you pay for even with Apple Tax

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Used 2015 might be ok though. MagSafe!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yeast posted:

13" MacBook Pro without touch bar is a great way to go if you can manage with a dual core.
I have a 13" with touchbar and if I could have done it again I'd go without the stupid TB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Used 2015 might be ok though. MagSafe!

Do those really get >20 hours of heavy WiFi use on battery? My gf swears hers does but that sounds high