Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Callie is revived by the ring of life, which somehow fuels the powers of the Green Sun, which revive Vriska, who comes in to possession of the ring of void somehow.

What, this Green Sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

There's been a lot of speculation about the skull cave being some kind of trap, and some or most of the crew getting wiped out. And I do think that's still possible - it would be appropriate payback for Vriska and her team for their multitude of sins, and demonstrate the stakes of the endgame by letting Lord English kill significant and much-loved characters.

But I'm beginning to wonder... what if it all goes right? What if Vriska gets her hands on whatever this ultimate weapon is? There's no question she'd immediately fly off to tackle English, the same way she did with Jack, but what would happen after that? Is she someone who could be trusted with all that power? (Recall the terms of Caliborn's bargain with Yaldabaoth - if Vriska were given the same choice, is there even a chance in hell that she'd take the martyr's option?)

And recall Vriska's speculation that there would be a "8igger 8ad" after Lord English... Wouldn't it be totally in character for Vriska, at the climax of the story's final act, to swoop in and wipe the villain off the board and usurp the position of final antagonist for herself? Are we witnessing the rise of Lady Sn8wman?

...it'd be a hell of a twist, and again, it'd certainly be consistant with the character and her role in the story, as well as Hussie's love of jerking around and frustrating his audience.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 24, 2013

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Shelby (of many arts fames, i.e. Callie Opheee art) posted this. Ring of Void? Ring of Life? Intentional mislead as requested by Hussie? Who knows, but Vriska is sporting some bling. She's got alive eyes, but the name of this comic could be "Intentional Misdirection" for all that happens.

e: thumbnailed. and I'll throw my chips in as far as this: Callie is revived by the ring of life, which somehow fuels the powers of the Green Sun, which revive Vriska, who comes in to possession of the ring of void somehow.

Vriska, you should have just accepted Hussie's ring in the desert (assuming that is the ring of life), and just made all your pir8 treasure on Kickstarrter. :downsrim:

Hmm, that pic is pretty evocative of this trackart (though there's obviously no ring), which I believe is still the only one from that album that hasn't yet appeared as a comic panel. Read from that what you will...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Scale Model Giant posted:

Hmm, that pic is pretty evocative of this trackart (though there's obviously no ring), which I believe is still the only one from that album that hasn't yet appeared as a comic panel. Read from that what you will...

Not really seeing it, other than "Vriska in god tier PJs looking menacing". On the other hand, that's pretty much exactly the right song to use for Vriska coming back to life, attacking LE, and then getting double deaded because Vriska's plans are terrible.

vvv welp

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 24, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was already used for the Ministrife flash, sorry.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
You guys do realize Shelby draws art separate from some of the stuff she does for the art team, right? Or is it too much of a stretch that she just drew some living Vriska art because she wanted to, prompted by the update. Honestly the whole "Vriska steals the Green Sun" always sounded silly to me. Vriska doesn't literally steal light, she steals luck. If she wanted to steal the Green Sun's light, why not do it by now when she's in close proximity of it thanks to the dream bubbles?

And honestly, I don't like the idea of Vriska becoming the Big Bad after LE. I know most people seem to think she hasn't changed and you're right she mostly hasn't. But she was never written as a villain. Only as a crazy teenager in Alternia who has hosed up morals because of her upbringing. Much like Meenah being similar to Condesce, only she seems to be a bit more "eh" to the idea of enslaving everyone if her conversation with Cronus during Meenahbound Part 2 says anything.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Didn't they say that the ultimate weapon is literally beta Calliope? And then Callie said only she would be able to find her(self?)

I think that John will now reveal he has the ring, but that he won't give it to any of the present trolls because they're all loving insane. Meenah will then fork him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lotus circle posted:

You guys do realize Shelby draws art separate from some of the stuff she does for the art team, right? Or is it too much of a stretch that she just drew some living Vriska art because she wanted to, prompted by the update. Honestly the whole "Vriska steals the Green Sun" always sounded silly to me. Vriska doesn't literally steal light, she steals luck. If she wanted to steal the Green Sun's light, why not do it by now when she's in close proximity of it thanks to the dream bubbles?

It's difficult to say that light just equals luck, though. It's possible to literally heal people's eyes with the light aspect, after all.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Didn't they say that the ultimate weapon is literally beta Calliope? And then Callie said only she would be able to find her(self?)
Actually, I don't think anyone has explicitly said that Calliope is the weapon.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Tunicate posted:

It's difficult to say that light just equals luck, though. It's possible to literally heal people's eyes with the light aspect, after all.
I figured that was less a Light thing and more a Sylph thing. Sylphs are the healing class, much like Life is the healing aspect. Jane was able to make herself come back to life and Godtier Feferi was able to save WV's life. So Aranea used her powers to heal Terezi who was blind and in darkness (not completely thanks to her way to smell colors) because her class allowed her to do so.

Honestly the class and aspect discussion is almost pointless because of how it can change depending on an aspect in regards to class and vice versa. But we do know for a fact that Vriska can steal luck. If she was able to literally steal light then I think we would have seen something in regards to that by now. And no, a picture for a song from a Homestuck album doesn't count.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So basically the lesson learned here is that teen-marriage prevents ghostocausts.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

senseinobu posted:

Actually, I don't think anyone has explicitly said that Calliope is the weapon.

Here's the log where I got that idea

Now that I re-read that, it also seems more obvious now that the ring is meant as a Solution for Calliope's "no body to return to" problem.

Then again we already know that neither Calliope or Aranea know as much as they think they do, so maybe they don't know the whole deal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, I'm confused. What does the slampora thought bubble have to do with the ring?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, I'm confused. What does the slampora thought bubble have to do with the ring?

Nothing, it's just what Vriska does when someone else might punch a wall.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Nothing, it's just what Vriska does when someone else might punch a wall.

Wait, she's venting by making them punch each other? That's great. :haw:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, she's venting by making them punch each other? That's great. :haw:

It took me quite a while to figure out that is what was happening, but yes it is great. Vriska found a use for all those Cronuses!

vvv I want for "misamporandry" to be Homestuck's lasting contribution to the English language.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 25, 2013

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
It's amazing how everyone was all "Vriska noooo don't mindcontrol useless ghosts to death" but with this update everyone's just like "Haha yeah okay this is an acceptable manipulation of useless ghosts." I really can't believe the depths of the Homestuck fandom's rampant misamporandry.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It's amazing how everyone was all "Vriska noooo don't mindcontrol useless ghosts to death" but with this update everyone's just like "Haha yeah okay this is an acceptable manipulation of useless ghosts." I really can't believe the depths of the Homestuck fandom's rampant misamporandry.

Oh, if she'd done it to say, Nepeta or Feferi, she'd be an even bigger bitch.

But no one likes Cronus, so it's cool.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

lotus circle posted:

I figured that was less a Light thing and more a Sylph thing. Sylphs are the healing class, much like Life is the healing aspect. Jane was able to make herself come back to life and Godtier Feferi was able to save WV's life. So Aranea used her powers to heal Terezi who was blind and in darkness (not completely thanks to her way to smell colors) because her class allowed her to do so.

Honestly the class and aspect discussion is almost pointless because of how it can change depending on an aspect in regards to class and vice versa. But we do know for a fact that Vriska can steal luck. If she was able to literally steal light then I think we would have seen something in regards to that by now. And no, a picture for a song from a Homestuck album doesn't count.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006675 It sounds here like it was more of a Sylph of Light deal, and if it weren't, I wonder why Terezi would be this surprised by it, since I'm sure Kanaya would have brought it up if she had that capability.

Feferi bringing back WV and Jane bringing herself back were similar powers, sure, but still not exactly the same application of a power, and there very well could be a limit of being able to do one but not the other. The Condesce, AKA a Thief of Life was stated to have the ability to extend life, but not the ability to restore it, for example.

Also, Vriska has literally stolen light before; she stole Terezi's sight in the first place, afterall. :rimshot: While not an actual use of Sburb power, that is an example of that kind of poetic and metaphorical thing that seems to attach itself to class/aspect combinations and their characters. I'm sure there are a few major abilities that are shared by classes with similar skillsets, sure, but I just wouldn't rule out that the classes might have some abilities that are unique and super-fitting depending on what their aspect is. Especially once you start getting into "miracle" territory, where you get into things like restoring life or vision.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I would totally buy that people of X aspect have some skill overlap, as well as people from Y class. I imagine each aspect and class gives you a set of skills, the intersection of which makes up a unique class.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Who knows how popular of a theory this will be, but when I finished my first thoughts about the ring of Life and it's use was basically this:

Lord English in the "final fight" obliterates everyone. The out of universe-like description of the rings makes me think that LE can't override it.

John wears the ring and fights LE for an unfathomable length of time, dying over and over and over again. Something in this excruciatingly long period of time gives John the upper hand and he defeats Lord English.

Then whatever implications (reality being restored, etc etc) are carried about because of it.

John becomes the greatest hero because he basically does the Balrog/Gandalf fight for eons and never gives up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

McStephenson posted:

Who knows how popular of a theory this will be, but when I finished my first thoughts about the ring of Life and it's use was basically this:

Lord English in the "final fight" obliterates everyone. The out of universe-like description of the rings makes me think that LE can't override it.

John wears the ring and fights LE for an unfathomable length of time, dying over and over and over again. Something in this excruciatingly long period of time gives John the upper hand and he defeats Lord English.

Then whatever implications (reality being restored, etc etc) are carried about because of it.

John becomes the greatest hero because he basically does the Balrog/Gandalf fight for eons and never gives up.

Sounds immensely unsatisfying. Almost completely out of left field.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Personally I wouldn't be satisfied with any ending where one character ends up taking down LE all alone. It should be a team effort, y'know?

Especially not if that character is John, since he's basically the most development-starved character there is.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I guess I forgot to mention my crazy idea would be the very end of the (hopefully very long) battle against LE.

I agree it should be a team effort, but I feel like the death of member after member would just amplify the drama of the event.

Something about reducing the desperate all out attack on the main villain of this story to the efforts of a character like John could show an incredible inner strength that has maybe only been slightly emergent over the course of Homestuck.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I also don't think LE will be defeated in a direct battle - didn't Hussie already do the "overly drawn out boss fight" thing in Problem Sleuth? Seems like it'd be dumb to do that again. It would be a lot more satisfying if they ended up beating LE by exploiting some loopholes in his time loops. Beating him at his own lovely game, basically.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I've got a friend that's trying to read Homestuck that suffers from epilepsy: Are there any ways to reduce the flashing of certain gifs and flashes?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know you can disable gifs on the browser level, but your friend might be SOL for flashes. There's a semi-famous(?) Tumblr user who's also an epileptic Homestuck fan and he's posted quite a bit about it. He's got big-rear end goggles to darken the gifs but apparently they don't work well enough for the bigger flashes. I think he got through those by having friends screencap them for him? Good luck to your friend, anyway.

edit: also you'd probably need to just wholesale skip the Trickster Updates.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 25, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's one thing the Homestuck books will probably be excellent for. :shobon:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can't you do control + period on some web browsers to stop animations? It didn't work for me in Chrome just now, but maybe Firefox or Safari?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

IUG posted:

Can't you do control + period on some web browsers to stop animations? It didn't work for me in Chrome just now, but maybe Firefox or Safari?

Firefox doesn't do it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
In Firefox, it's "Esc" to stop gif animations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The escape key stops gifs in Firefox, or you can dig into the about:config and change string image.animation_mode from normal to none to disable the animations outright.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That won't do anything for the flash animations, of course. I'd second the recommendation of books, I think.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Bobulus posted:

That won't do anything for the flash animations, of course. I'd second the recommendation of books, I think.
Not like you're helping much here :v:.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That replay flash button is the absolute best thing. The absolute best.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, she finally went and did it. She did something that made Tavros of all people decide to turn around and leave, against her wishes.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
So did anyone else find Nick Cage's head?

King of Solomon posted:

That replay flash button is the absolute best thing. The absolute best.

Apparently so.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It's not like there's much... y'know... logic to things in Homestuck but...

If you've just spent over a year (I can't keep time straight, obviously) following Vriska to an existence-saving treasure and you are minutes-to-hours away from reaching that treasure, how is it that 4 people suddenly decide that this is the perfect time to bail? Where, seriously, is the logic in this? These four are essentially blue-balling themselves in probably the hardest manner possible.

Which can only mean that they already know where this is going to lead and it will most likely be something really terrible that they won't want to stick around for. If not, this was a stupid update. A funny update, but a stupid update.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Sollux was never invested in these shenanigans, he was just hanging out with Aradia. Fef and Nep only just got here, and were apparently in no mood for further drama. Tavros is just kind of a nimrod, probably thinks he's pulling some clever reverse-psychology nonsense, when in reality no-one gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like that the minor trolls are getting a l'il bit of agency here.