Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those tires and wheels loving own though.

Lose the fake aero, the racing stripes, and the track maps and I'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BraveUlysses posted:

looking forward to that sick downforce ripping the sheetmetal

Thread please.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

It's the combination of original provenance and having to supply weather balloons to chase you if you leave town in it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kit cars????? Those arent kit cars at all, they are proper factory Mokes and going by the link Aust built ones too at Leylands Zetland facility.

And absoluty wrong thread for Mokes

Just a reference to:

quote:

It looks like someone built it out of sheet steel in the garage.

otaku69
May 18, 2003
repairable vw beetle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Found the old bastard. :corsair:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

otaku69 posted:

repairable vw beetle

:negative:
It probably would be repaired

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Moke sounds like some kind of old-timey racial slur.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

slidebite posted:

I think a 959 is definitely one of those cars that will always be repaired because it's always worth whatever it costs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

slidebite posted:

Over a million was spent on Rowan Atkinson's McLaren F1, so...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/30/tesla-model-s-video-enthusiast-quality-problems/

quote:

Tyler Martin is a Tesla enthusiast, a software designer and co-founder of a startup in Tucson, Ariz. His YouTube channel comprises mostly videos examining various aspects of the Model S and Model 3. But his newest video, "Everything Wrong With My Tesla Model S: Build Quality Problems," won't make the electric car company or its legion of admirers very happy.

"I can deal with rattles and finicky mirrors, but when the core technology starts to fail, it really made me worry about the long term viability of this car," he says.

Tesla has also been engaged in a running feud with Consumer Reports, most recently after the publication said the Model 3 sedan should have "average" reliability and the brand scored 21st among 27 brands ranked. Consumer Reports in 2015 initially gave its highest-ever overall rating to the Model S — giving it 103 points out of 100 — but then amended its rating months later to "worse than average" after reliability survey results from 1,400 Tesla owners came in. The company did not respond to a request for comment on the video.

Martin points out that he is hardly a Tesla hater. "Driving a Tesla is still a fantastic experience, albeit a slightly flawed one," he says. But he also acknowledges that most current Tesla owners are "enthusiasts" who will likely forgive the kind of minor flaws that he describes. "The mass market is not going to nearly as forgiving as me and other current Tesla drivers," he adds.

It's a 25 minute video, but a kind of interesting account of the general shoddy build quality and poor servicing of his Tesla Model S.

Pretty sad stuff for a new, near-100k car. Seems like you've got to be a the sort of excited, affluent early adopter to ignore a lot of this stuff and won't be received well in the larger general market.

Three windshields, misaligned steering wheel, door panels falling off, squeaky HVAC fans, charge port door stuck closed, crappy door and mirror mechanisms, center touch screen discoloration, terrible trim alignment, and rattles rattles rattles rattles and more rattles.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 31, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I am intimately familiar with a P85D that was $135k all said and done, it now has about 30k miles on it and has been through three drive units, a number of suspension parts, still has an 'undiagnosable' suspension noise, and generally poor build quality.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Guinness posted:

It's a 25 minute video, but a kind of interesting account of the general shoddy build quality and poor servicing of his Tesla Model S.

Pretty sad stuff for a new, near-100k car. Seems like you've got to be a the sort of excited, affluent early adopter to ignore a lot of this stuff and won't be received well in the larger general market.

Three windshields, misaligned steering wheel, door panels falling off, squeaky HVAC fans, charge port door stuck closed, crappy door and mirror mechanisms, center touch screen discoloration, terrible trim alignment, and rattles rattles rattles rattles and more rattles.

I'm not surprised: regardless of what you think of Musk vs the car manufacturer behemoths, it is spectacularly arrogant to assume you can mass-produce a car for the first time and not face all the issues that that the big boys have spent 50 years ironing out.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I may have posted this before, but a Model X I saw parked outside my house:

(It's A LOT worse in person)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Guinness posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/30/tesla-model-s-video-enthusiast-quality-problems/

Usually when you see videos whining about faults they are usually badly presented rants that can be dismissed.

This is a very well put together calm list of issues with proof of history worth watching and thinking about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

People poo poo all over Tesla build quality for the price, and yet people still paid a lot of money for Ferraris through the ages.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Finger Prince posted:

People poo poo all over Tesla build quality for the price, and yet people still paid a lot of money for Ferraris through the ages.

The build quality expected these days is a little bit higher, especially for a six figure car.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Is the cost of a Tesla so high because of the technology or is it because it's a performance car that doesn't have economy of scale going for it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's the batteries.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with Tesla is, as pointed out, enthusiasts vs general consumers. The Model 3 is going to sell well with those who can't afford an S (or X) but want a Tesla. Once those people have their cars, it's going to be a reaaaaal tough sell when A. the build quality is crap, and B. "Well, this BMW has the same price tag and I'm not limited if I have to go beyond the Tesla's range".

Or as RCR put it (paraphrased), "The [Model S] interior is nice, but it's not 80 grand nice. It's more Lincoln Town Car than anything." You're paying for the drivetrain and nothing else (as pointed just above this).

I will give Tesla that they have the best EV drivetrain around, but GM is looking to usurp that. Whether or not GM will is a matter for another place and time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Breakfast Feud posted:

Is the cost of a Tesla so high because of the technology or is it because it's a performance car that doesn't have economy of scale going for it?

It lacks economy of scale and also suffers from inefficient production. Tesla's assembly lines are terrible. It takes far too many man-hours of labor to make one - about 7 times as many man-hours as the industry average.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

The build quality expected these days is a little bit higher, especially for a six figure car.

I think you will find Ferrari's build quality is still ordinary to say the least tho. But point made, you *kinda* do expect an expensive car to be better screwed together.

The issues like in the video are why Tesla were hiring people with high volume production experience - at least they are aware they need to do better.... still, it's good proof that mass production of cars is in fact loving difficult, no one has even gotten to the point Tesla are as fast - the leading car makers have had 50 more years to get it right and even then there's plenty of dubious poo poo shipped out the doors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ferrari at this juncture is more about the name than any sort of performance. They're great performing cars, don't get me wrong, but you're slapping a premium on them because they're Ferraris. Almost all of them are driven by people who will never break 75 mph except maybe once to say they did.

(see also: Apple products, Lambos, etc)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry, but Apple fit and finish is second to none in the consumer PC space.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, but Apple fit and finish is second to none in the consumer PC space.

Did I say it was bad? Not really. I'm saying people are willing to pay extra for Apple products because it's Apple (even if the build quality is nice). How many C-Levels in the past few weeks went "GET ME AN IPHONE X NOW!"?

You bet your rear end it was a lot.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Man no wonder the fitment is so poor if they're not using "traditional" assembly lines. I'm guessing that means a lot more is done essentially by hand instead of by robots. Kind of strange that they wouldn't choose to design around that instead of having body lines and stuff that needed to be super precise.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

yeah and enzo thought people buying his cars to drive on the street were stupid

thechalkoutline posted:

I may have posted this before, but a Model X I saw parked outside my house:

(It's A LOT worse in person)

poor craftsmanship on that car looks better than the car as a whole

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 31, 2017

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

iospace posted:

Did I say it was bad? Not really. I'm saying people are willing to pay extra for Apple products because it's Apple (even if the build quality is nice). How many C-Levels in the past few weeks went "GET ME AN IPHONE X NOW!"?

At risk of derailing, it's a pretty tough analogy to compare Apple to Lamborghini, or imply all users buy their products just for appearance. There are such users, of course, but Apple is the de facto choice in many software-related occupations for a reason.

I mean, at least Samsung has products that randomly catch fire. That fits the analogy a bit...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fair enough on both points.

Anyway, content:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

They were done with Nissan's blessing at a US conversion shop. Quite rare. I think it's the same shop that did authorized 300ZX conversions. Both pretty rare.

I know. My comment was directed at the comment about chassis rigidity. The convertibles were like wet noodles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

iospace posted:

Fair enough on both points.

Anyway, content:

Is that supposed to be read in a bad comedy German accent?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

iospace posted:

How many C-Levels in the past few weeks went "GET ME AN IPHONE X NOW!"?

I can vouch for this first hand. It's crazy.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I know. My comment was directed at the comment about chassis rigidity. The convertibles were like wet noodles.

They look funny autocrossing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

They look funny autocrossing.

The spectators look stone cold, though.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
What about the 2G Eclipse Spyder? They weren't terrible?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The turbos weren't terrible. The NA ones blew chunks.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Well, sure, 50% more horsepower can help you get over some defects, but I am wondering more about the structural rigidity.

I had convertible RX7 for a few years, and while I never got to compare it back-to-back to a coupe, I don't remember any serious chassis flex issues. I think I read somewhere that Mazda did the convertibles in house and added some structural bracing to make up the difference.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Faster Blaster posted:

Well, sure, 50% more horsepower can help you get over some defects, but I am wondering more about the structural rigidity.

I had convertible RX7 for a few years, and while I never got to compare it back-to-back to a coupe, I don't remember any serious chassis flex issues. I think I read somewhere that Mazda did the convertibles in house and added some structural bracing to make up the difference.

I'd trust Mazda to do convertibles right given the experience they have with the Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Faster Blaster posted:

I rode in both, the turbo spyders rode generally in line with the hard top ones. The NA ones were somewhat floppy, but that may have been the fact that the turbo was in good condition and the NA was ragged to poo poo.

Edit: There are also a number of aftermarket chassis braces you can buy if you do pick up a spyder that would probably fix any flex.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 1, 2017