Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

wormil posted:

They could have built a rope from their clothes... then what? They would have died from hypothermia just as certainly as if they had sat there and done nothing.
Only one of them had to climb down. The rest could have pulled the clothes back up, untied them and got dressed and tossed clothes down to the climber. They were at a ski resort, I would think that one of them could have made it a couple miles to one of the buildings and break in to use the phone. The wolves didn't come until pretty late in the movie and were likely only attracted/emboldened by the scent of the dumb poo poo jumper's broken leg. I don't have a problem with them getting stuck on the ski lift, I have a problem with nearly everything they did after that point. Waiting for rescue is always a dumb option when lethal cold temps are involved and you know that nobody is looking for you. Hell, even some of their ideas might have worked if they hadn't dicked around until they were too cold to do anything significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

wormil posted:

But it wasn't. Open Water was not different. A guy hosed up the headcount. In Frozen, similar inattention left 3 people stranded (which has happened in real life). They didn't die from not zipping up their coats, while that may have been dumb, it didn't drive the plot. They could have built a rope from their clothes... then what? They would have died from hypothermia just as certainly as if they had sat there and done nothing. Maybe one of them could have made it down without serious injury and gone for help except for the pack of wolves which I felt was the least realistic part of the movie.

Without the wolves, the movie would have been bearable. However, the wolves ended up making the movie just lazy writing throughout (and they appeared halfway through). They didn't act like wolves and were only placed in the movie to remove any reasonable way for the characters to escape, transparently.

Once the wolves came, the movie essentially became The Raft (Creepshow 2) or The Ruins. Only instead of an otherwordly creature like a floating sentient oil slick that will digest you or a sentient plant that eats you, where part of the appeal is discovering the nature of the creature (and also allowing characters to do realistic actions that are foiled by the unknown nature of the antagonist), you have a real, familiar, animal in that role that ceases to act like that animal. This twigs people's sense of disbelief worse because you're combining actions of the protagonists, which may or may not be believable, with those of a known antagonist, which may be the same, and have the two clash against each other. Thus the dislike.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Whispering Machines posted:

As for movies I do have hope for, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark! I also learned one of my favorite illustrators, Keith Thompson did some of the art in the movie. :swoon: Some of his creations are the kind of things I'd love to see in movies. They kind of remind me of the things you'd find living in the hellish landscapes Beksinski painted.

I've read some disappointing things about this movie. I'm still holding out hope, but my expectations have been tempered. I really just want to see the original, so hopefully they do a proper release of that soon.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Darko posted:

Without the wolves, the movie would have been bearable. However, the wolves ended up making the movie just lazy writing throughout (and they appeared halfway through). They didn't act like wolves and were only placed in the movie to remove any reasonable way for the characters to escape, transparently.

Once the wolves came, the movie essentially became The Raft (Creepshow 2) or The Ruins. Only instead of an otherwordly creature like a floating sentient oil slick that will digest you or a sentient plant that eats you, where part of the appeal is discovering the nature of the creature (and also allowing characters to do realistic actions that are foiled by the unknown nature of the antagonist), you have a real, familiar, animal in that role that ceases to act like that animal. This twigs people's sense of disbelief worse because you're combining actions of the protagonists, which may or may not be believable, with those of a known antagonist, which may be the same, and have the two clash against each other. Thus the dislike.

Agreed, It's set on a ski resort. They should have replaced the wolves with

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hurr, looks like I got my formatting wrong in the video I tried to link in an earlier post.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Why does Freddy have two sets of claws? Is this a re-imagining? Why would anyone have an interest in that? A horror icons fighting game would be great.

I'd also like to see Monster Squad 2 with contemporary (well, 80s) horror icons teaming up against kids who like to curse and blow poo poo up in a movie that has no justification for being PG. Apparently a remake is in the works. Could go either way.

Jose Mengelez posted:

They should have replaced the wolves with

As for Frozen, I think I bought it on BluRay (made sense in my pre-Netflix BluRay hype days). Yeah it was a disappointment and you're right, adding in some supernatural element would have gone a long way toward helping an otherwise boring script. On the plus side, it did have decent pacing and kept my attention. I don't regret seeing it, but I'm definitely going to sell the disc and I have no intention of ever seeing it again.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Mr.Graves posted:

Insidious basically just played on people's ignorance about sleep paralysis. I love the fact that people are happily 'ghost, vampires, giant monsters, yeah, but I DRAW THE loving LINE AT ASTRAL PROJECTION' Anyways, that didn't need spoilering but the all caps was gaudy.

Insidious scared the poo poo out of me. I actually screamed at one point.

Also as someone who suffers from sleep paralysis regularly...it's totally not like that AT ALL.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Mr.Graves posted:

I've been digging me some French horror lately and got halfway through Malefique last night before I had to turn in due to some testing at work coming up this morning... I'm at the point where they are just starting to play with the book, anyone know if it is worth finishing?

That being said: http://www.northernexposure.org.uk/index.php/2011/07/01/top-10-french-horror-films/

Has anyone seen the less popular films on this list? I've not heard of Mutants or The Pack or Don't Look Back. If anyone could weigh in on them, I'd be appreciative.

Haven't heard of them either, and Malefique was fairly average from what I remember of it (though I can see how it would appeal more to someone into Lovecraft and that stuff).

That was a pretty solid list though, I wouldn't have classified Brotherhood of the Wolf as horror (although it is a fantastic action/period drama/horror/fantasy/comedy/political thriller/romance/adventure/martial arts movie), and a few of the others (Haute Tension, Inside, Martyrs) are extremely effective and memorable. Martyrs in particular was an absolutely brutal movie that just left me shaken, it does an incredible job of just completely pulling the rug out from under your feet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

StickySweater posted:

Why does Freddy have two sets of claws?

Because of stances. If he's facing the other side, the moves would have to be reanimated. It would either look hosed up or make no sense whatsoever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Only one of them had to climb down. The rest could have pulled the clothes back up, untied them and got dressed and tossed clothes down to the climber.

That's a good solution. I don't like the idea of replacing the wolves with a supernatural force, they could simply have extended the storm which would have made navigation almost impossible and justified desperate measures.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

StickySweater posted:

I'd also like to see Monster Squad 2 with contemporary (well, 80s) horror icons teaming up against kids who like to curse and blow poo poo up in a movie that has no justification for being PG. Apparently a remake is in the works. Could go either way.
Do you think they could even find a virgin in modern Hollywood?

Chloe Moretz, nooooo. :(

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.
So, Del Toros new movie, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. It has a kid in the trailer. I'm not sure if it's a spoiler but he's worked on other movies before. Pans Labyrinth, the Mimic, and the Orphanage all had one thing in common. He kills kids, even if they're the main character. That kid in the trailer is going to loving die

I'm excited. That guy can make anything scary.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LeosBoots posted:

So, Del Toros new movie, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. It has a kid in the trailer. I'm not sure if it's a spoiler but he's worked on other movies before. Pans Labyrinth, the Mimic, and the Orphanage all had one thing in common. He kills kids, even if they're the main character. That kid in the trailer is going to loving die

Ofelia doesn't die at the end of Pan's Labyrinth. :colbert:

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

And I don't remember that happening in Mimic, either. That was the first horror movie I ever saw, too. :allears: I was only allowed to watch it because my mom's cousin was associate producer or something.

I'm going to have to find and watch that movie again.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I've been hearing good things about the Final Destination 5 footage that showed in Comic Con, anyone herre see it? You can read online deatails of what was shown but I'm avoiding it all as the fun of the movies is seeing it all unravel yourself. Been avoiding the TV spots for the same reason, when FD 4 came out I was able to piece together all the deaths but to the small bits being shown in TV spots.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

LeosBoots posted:

You forgot The Devil's Backbone. He doesn't kill the protagonist kid but IIRC he kills some other kids off, plus the ghost kid. And he kills the nice old man and the teacher lady.

Also, Pan's Labyrinth, Devils Backbone, and The Orphanage were all really drat sad. Scary and sad. Intense combination.

GdT doesn't like happiness :(

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Strontosaurus posted:

And I don't remember that happening in Mimic, either. That was the first horror movie I ever saw, too. :allears: I was only allowed to watch it because my mom's cousin was associate producer or something.

I'm going to have to find and watch that movie again.

You don't remember Mimic well then. The two street kids were gorily killed by the bugs when they discovered the egg sac. Spoon boy lived, but the other two featured kids died.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

jazz babies posted:

Insidious scared the poo poo out of me. I actually screamed at one point.

Also as someone who suffers from sleep paralysis regularly...it's totally not like that AT ALL.

Insidious was one of my favorite horror movie experiences.

I saw Insidious in a local theater with a fantastic crowd. People were screaming their asses off at the film. I know it was just people feeding of each other and I could tell the movie was not great, but the real life screams punctuating every scene that needed it was just perfect.

Also, regarding Frozen - Tie their clothes together to make a rope? That's awesome! Imagine the conversation leading to that. Also, they were easily 30 feet up so the scene where the makeshift rope unravels and the poor dope trying to climb it falls painfully while everyone's clothes scatter in the wind would have been good stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ZombieParts posted:

Also, regarding Frozen - Tie their clothes together to make a rope? That's awesome! Imagine the conversation leading to that. Also, they were easily 30 feet up so the scene where the makeshift rope unravels and the poor dope trying to climb it falls painfully while everyone's clothes scatter in the wind would have been good stuff.

It was actually fifty feet but that would have been a better scene. The clothes tear, the guy falls, the clothes blow away... now they are forced to take desperate measures.

Haven't seen Insidious yet as I avoid most supernatural horror films but based on the comments I've added it to my Netflix queue. I did watch something called Ghost Machine with Rachael Taylor and a character named Tom who looks and acts like a young Tom Cruise. It was basically rehash of better sci-fi/horror movies with a SyFy movie of the week quality and flavor to it.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

wormil posted:

It was actually fifty feet but that would have been a better scene. The clothes tear, the guy falls, the clothes blow away... now they are forced to take desperate measures.

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

wormil posted:

That makes it even dumber when the idiot jumps

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Frozen was groaningly bad. The premise is really loving scary and they could have done a lot with it (being trapped overnight on a ski lift? FFUUUUUUUUU)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

While I didn't entirely dislike Frozen, I wasn't without my gripes. I was really excited about it because, like Jazz Babies said, it had a good premise, but they just dropped the ball. My biggest "are you loving kidding me" moment (that I can't believe no one has already mentioned) was the mother loving "razor sharp cables". Come the gently caress on, that was just ridiculous beyond belief.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just saw something called "Deadtime Stories", a horror anthology that George Romero attached his name to, on Netflix streaming. Ugh. Horrible in every way, bad acting, cheap-rear end looking production. Bad bad bad, don't even waste 80 minutes of your life.

I couldn't tell from the IMDB listing, but this HAS to have been straight to DVD or cable. Doesn't it? No way you can tell me a good production and film like Trick 'R Treat can go straight to DVD and something like this could be released in a theater...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156300/

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Zwabu posted:

I just saw something called "Deadtime Stories", a horror anthology that George Romero attached his name to, on Netflix streaming. Ugh. Horrible in every way, bad acting, cheap-rear end looking production. Bad bad bad, don't even waste 80 minutes of your life.

I couldn't tell from the IMDB listing, but this HAS to have been straight to DVD or cable. Doesn't it? No way you can tell me a good production and film like Trick 'R Treat can go straight to DVD and something like this could be released in a theater...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156300/

I just watched this last night. The first story was terrible in every way. I kinda liked the second one but that could just be because the first story really lowered my expectations. I can only assume Romero must be really hard up for money to have attached his name to this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I stumbled across the trailer for Grave Encounters and it creeped me the gently caress out, but as I've mentioned I'm a huge sucker for "found footage" movies.

I've seen Blair Witch, I've seen Quarantine (and I'm borrowing Rec 1 and 2 from a friend, haven't watched them yet), and I've seen Incident at Lake County. Any others that are worth my time?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm going to suggest 2 that aren't the usual suspects:

Without Warning and Special Bulletin.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I stumbled across the trailer for Grave Encounters and it creeped me the gently caress out, but as I've mentioned I'm a huge sucker for "found footage" movies.

I've seen Blair Witch, I've seen Quarantine (and I'm borrowing Rec 1 and 2 from a friend, haven't watched them yet), and I've seen Incident at Lake County. Any others that are worth my time?

I'd recommend The Tunnel Movie. You can download it for free (legally), so there's really no excuse not to watch it.

EDIT: The best part of The Tunnel is that it's all shot in REAL abandoned tunnels, not some big budget Hollywood (Aussie-wood?) production set. It really lends an extra feeling of creepiness.

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2011

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Grave Encounters looks loving terrible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Faithless posted:

Grave Encounters looks loving terrible.

I'm not sure what I laughed harder at; the terrible CGI on the ghost face or "A Film by the Vicious Brothers"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

XIII posted:

I'd recommend The Tunnel Movie. You can download it for free (legally), so there's really no excuse not to watch it.

EDIT: The best part of The Tunnel is that it's all shot in REAL abandoned tunnels, not some big budget Hollywood (Aussie-wood?) production set. It really lends an extra feeling of creepiness.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check those out. :) Where can I download The Tunnel Movie? Or should I just piratebay that poo poo?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

EDIT: Sorry, the link I posted made it hard to find the download. This one makes it clearer

http://www.thetunnelshop.com/

XIII fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 25, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

LeosBoots posted:

Considering he didn't direct Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, that may not be the case for this film. I hate that Troy Nixey (the director) is going to get ignored because the studio is slathering GDT's name all over it. It's like when 9 came out and everyone thought it was directed by Tim Burton.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I just watched this last night. The first story was terrible in every way. I kinda liked the second one but that could just be because the first story really lowered my expectations. I can only assume Romero must be really hard up for money to have attached his name to this.

The Melissa Leo part is pretty decent (because of Melissa Leo).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

penismightier posted:

The Melissa Leo part is pretty decent (because of Melissa Leo).

I didn't see this name in the credits on IMDB so I'm not sure which part it is...

I actually didn't mind the last story so much although the "twist" can be seen coming a mile away (and is spoilered to death in the trailer). But I thought the acting and overall look of the film was really shabby throughout. The only thing good about the first story was the fact that the annoying wife who got everyone involved wound up with her head on a pike instead of getting everyone else killed and getting away scot free.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

I didn't see this name in the credits on IMDB so I'm not sure which part it is...

The three bears one. I haven't seen the movie in like 5 years, but I remember her being fun.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

penismightier posted:

The three bears one. I haven't seen the movie in like 5 years, but I remember her being fun.

We must be talking about different films, or maybe that story is in part II, the one I saw is part I, and I doubt I'd see part II after this one. Part one has a story about a woman searching for her husband who disappeared in an Amazon rainforest type setting, then a story about evil mermaids, then a story about a boy who thinks he's a vampire.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

We must be talking about different films, or maybe that story is in part II, the one I saw is part I, and I doubt I'd see part II after this one. Part one has a story about a woman searching for her husband who disappeared in an Amazon rainforest type setting, then a story about evil mermaids, then a story about a boy who thinks he's a vampire.

Oh, yeah, we totally are. Mine is from the 80s or early 90s.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh drat, I turned on the TV in the middle of Special Bulletin when I was a little kid and it freaked all the gently caress out of me.

I also liked Lake Mungo, though I know not everyone did, as well as The Poughkeepsie Tapes, though you have to take the bad (the awful acting in the interstitial sections) with the good (holy poo poo the found footage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

penismightier posted:

Oh, yeah, we totally are. Mine is from the 80s or early 90s.

Yeah you must be talking about this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092850/

The one on Netflix streaming now is "George Romero's Deadtime Stories Vol 1" or something like that and dates from 2009 according to IMDB (although Netflix lists it as 2011).