Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Or, if you like the idea enough, you can ignore that rule and just make it a scroll without the check like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I'll probably just go with that, but I'm trying to think how exploitable it could be. I don't want the entire party to get tattoos of Summon Monster III over the course of several days.

Maybe I'll treat the material costs like diamond dust, where he'd have to buy "magic ink" beforehand. Unless they went out and converted a large amount of gold to this ink, they'd have a limit on how much they could use the feat mid-adventure.

It's also interesting that he could do something like a tattoo of Mirror Image, which normally isn't "potionable"

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Any smart adventurer keeps all his money in diamond dust anyway, RAW that poo poo is freely convertible to gold

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

grah posted:

Additionally since a Paladin is divine and a Wizard is arcane, the Paladin wouldn't be able to use the Wizard's true strike scroll/tattoo. It falls to UMD.

Unless the Paladin has access to the Magic Domain Power via feats.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Danhenge posted:

Any smart adventurer keeps all his money in diamond dust anyway, RAW that poo poo is freely convertible to gold

Which is when you fall into a body of water and the GM says, "the water seeps into your clothing and equipment. Your dust is washed away."

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Well, I'll be honest, I think not letting your PCs retroactively turn cash into expensive spell components is kind of a dick move.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Danhenge posted:

Well, I'll be honest, I think not letting your PCs retroactively turn cash into expensive spell components is kind of a dick move.

The adventure I'm playing in right now would have gone very differently if we didn't have to buy diamonds / dust.

There were many Restoration spells thrown around, and two Resurrections. So many Restorations, in fact, that I had two negative levels on me that I could not get off until we went back to down, which meant I fought the BBEG with -2 to pretty much everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Which is when you fall into a body of water and the GM says, "the water seeps into your clothing and equipment. Your dust is washed away."

Keep diamonds and a MAGICAL DIAMOND GRINDER, I dunno. I'd pimpslap a DM if he pulled that poo poo. Usually we just play is as, "you're a fuckin' wizard dude, you turn 5000 gold into something else with magic as a free action"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Keep diamonds and a MAGICAL DIAMOND GRINDER, I dunno.

We have a sack and an adamantine earthbreaker.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

The adventure I'm playing in right now would have gone very differently if we didn't have to buy diamonds / dust.

There were many Restoration spells thrown around, and two Resurrections. So many Restorations, in fact, that I had two negative levels on me that I could not get off until we went back to down, which meant I fought the BBEG with -2 to pretty much everything.

Yeah, exactly. gently caress that poo poo

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Negative levels are really just the worst thing. It's bad enough the party has to pick up the tab for Resurrecting you after a bad shake, but working off a Death Debt for even more gold that makes you even more liable to die is like rubbing salt in the wound.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Negative levels are really just the worst thing. It's bad enough the party has to pick up the tab for Resurrecting you after a bad shake, but working off a Death Debt for even more gold that makes you even more liable to die is like rubbing salt in the wound.

Level drain has always been one of the most giant pain-in-the-asses in D&D.

It's not as bad in Pathfinder as it is in previous editions, but it's still pretty fuckin' bad.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I just started a campaign with a new DM a few months ago. Someone who's been playing with him for years let me know that he loves his undead, so watch out for level drain. Sure enough, the night he told me we ended on an undead island. Is there any reasonable way for a mundane class to protect against level drain besides killing anything that gets too close and making sure the oracle always has restoration prepared?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Have a good fort save, since I'm pretty sure that's how you prevent it from becoming permanent.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Kabanaw posted:

I just started a campaign with a new DM a few months ago. Someone who's been playing with him for years let me know that he loves his undead, so watch out for level drain. Sure enough, the night he told me we ended on an undead island. Is there any reasonable way for a mundane class to protect against level drain besides killing anything that gets too close and making sure the oracle always has restoration prepared?

Be sure you DM understands the difference between ability drain and ability damage.

Damage is temporary, and comes off with rest, or with Lesser restoration (which requires no dust).

Drain is more serious and cannot be healed normally, and requires Restoration with 100gp in diamond dust.

Death Ward will make you immune to negative levels and death effects, but won't protect you from ability drain. It's what we ended up having to do in my group when I was stick with that -2 to everything.

edit: Hide From Undead could also be useful. Mindless undead simply can't sense you at all, and intelligent undead need to make an arguably simple Will save, but it's a level 1 spell.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 21, 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Have a good fort save, since I'm pretty sure that's how you prevent it from becoming permanent.

It is never a bad idea to have good saves.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm making a Pathfinder Society character who is a ratfuck insane oracle of the Dark Tapestry. The who idea is that as a young child he fell into a deep cave and never really found his way out, instead he was discovered deep in the Darklands by a bunch of shoggoths who, as a joke/experiment decided to raise him. So, here's what I've got so far (keeping in mind this has to be Pathfinder Society legal:

quote:

(CN Dual-cursed Oracle)

STR 11
DEX 10
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 7
CHA 19

Skills: Knowledge: Dungeoneering, Knowledge: The Planes, Bluff, oracle skills

Mystery: Dark Tapestry

Curse: Tongues (Aklo) (doesn't improve), Darkness

Gift of Madness
Misfortune

Power of Suggestion (equipment)
Missionary +1 bluff, class skill (campaign)
Carefully Hidden +1 will saves (race)
Darklands Delver: Geography + Dungeoneering (Regional)

1st level spells: Murderous Command, Cause Fear

Extra revelation, Additional Traits

Abyssal, Lip Reading, Aboleth

The idea with the traits is that A: I couldn't particularly find any feats I was married to and, more specifically:

For roleplaying reasons I want Knowledge: Geography and Missionary (giving me bluff as a fun bonus), Carefully Hidden helps mitigate my horrendous will save (and the anti-scrying thing is fun from a fluff perspective) and then using power of suggestion to mess with people's heads and make them think they're going mad.

The idea an oracle who has genuinely gone insane and is both blind from years and years and years of living underground (yes I know the curse is absolute poo poo and basically makes all spells range:close until level 5), and who from being exposed to years of shoggoths gibbering madness from beyond can simply never. stop. randomly. speaking. Aklo. But hey, eventually his eyes will sort of adjust to the surface!

I'm not looking to optimize this but I am looking to see if there's anything people might suggest as fitting in with the theme a bit. Also if anyone can think of any route short of addiction for me to drop his Wisdom even lower that'd be great.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Hey, this may be me just being really stupid, but

If I had Death Ward cast on me...

And I had me a Life Drinker...

Wouldn't that mean I'd completely negate the penalty for using the weapon?

Wouldn't you have a weapon that deals 2 negative levels of damage on every hit, with no save?

Which is -2 to everything your target does, and -10 HP. Completely ignoring it's d12.

Every. Time. You. Hit.

What am I missing? Why doesn't every high level barbarian have a Life-Drinker and a cleric friend?

I guess it wouldn't work on Undead or Constructs, or casters somehow immune to negative levels, but wouldn't most NPCs be affected by this?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Oh, and if your negative levels exceed your hit dice, you die.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Huh. Reading both the descriptions, I legitimately see no reason for that not to work other than, "it'd be a fuckload of work for the DM"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Huh. Reading both the descriptions, I legitimately see no reason for that not to work other than, "it'd be a fuckload of work for the DM"

So if you were fighting, say a Storm Giant that has 199 HP (19d8+114), wouldn't you kill him on the 10th hit (20 negative levels), regardless of how many HPs he had left?

That's still ignoring the d12 damage dice.

Let's assume I have a +8 to damage (+5 STR 2-handed, +1 from weapon) and roll out a few hits. I'll roll a d12 and add everything up.

1: 13 damage, 2 negative levels (-10 total HP): 23 damage total
2: 17 damage, 2 negative levels (-10 total HP): 47 damage total
3: 11 damage, 2 negative levels (-10 total HP): 65 damage total
4: 11 damage, 2 negative levels (-10 total HP): 73 damage total
5: 9 damage, 2 negative levels (-10 total HP): 89 damage total
6: 10 damage, 2 negative levels (-10 total HP): 106 damage total

In 6 hits you've easily gone through half his health, even with bad rolls and a low damage modifier. And he has -12 to nearly every roll he makes.

Life-Drinker is expensive. If you took or conned a player into taking Craft Magical Arms and Armor you could get it for ~20,000gp. Death Ward is a 4th level Cleric/Oracle spell, which requires a 7th level Cleric or 8th level Oracle.

Seriously considering a Battle Oracle with a Life Drinker now.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Also I'm sure one of you will come in with an optimized barbarian and show how hilariously low my estimates are, and I can't wait to see it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

Also I'm sure one of you will come in with an optimized barbarian and show how hilariously low my estimates are, and I can't wait to see it.

Well if you're fighting a storm giant at all, your barbarian will probably have at least +6 BAB for two hits with every full attack, and at least +4 base STR modifier, +6 while raging, so yeah... That's +10 damage before rolling without any other optimization besides giving him an appropriate STR score, so "hilariously low" is pretty accurate.

Hell, you could probably make his STR even higher if you did some more min-maxing and gave him a Belt of Strength +4 or something using level-appropriate cash.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 22, 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Well if you're fighting a storm giant at all, your barbarian will probably have at least +6 BAB for two hits with every full attack, and at least +4 base STR modifier, +6 while raging, so yeah... That's +10 damage before rolling without any other optimization besides giving him an appropriate STR score, so "hilariously low" is pretty accurate.

I just grabbed an example I could think of with a large pool of +HP. They have 19 HD and then 144 added on top of that. With a Life-Drinker you're attacking the HD, not the HP, and I wanted a decent monster for that illustration. I didn't really think about what level the PC would be while fighting it.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

Hey, this may be me just being really stupid, but

If I had Death Ward cast on me...

And I had me a Life Drinker...

Wouldn't that mean I'd completely negate the penalty for using the weapon?

Wouldn't you have a weapon that deals 2 negative levels of damage on every hit, with no save?

Which is -2 to everything your target does, and -10 HP. Completely ignoring it's d12.

Every. Time. You. Hit.

What am I missing? Why doesn't every high level barbarian have a Life-Drinker and a cleric friend?

I guess it wouldn't work on Undead or Constructs, or casters somehow immune to negative levels, but wouldn't most NPCs be affected by this?

If you're going to do that you might as well go like twf ranger and wield two of them to turn into a negative level blender

edit: oh it's a greataxe :\

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unless I'm remembering wrong, a large creature can wield a 2HW of medium size as if it were one handed. So, you just need to take the leadership feat to get some sort of casting caddy who knows enlarge person and can carry your bag of greataxes.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Beg, borrow or steal your way to the Monkey Grip feat from 3.5

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Monkey_Grip_(3.5e_Feat)

quote:

Benefit: This feat grants the ability to wield melee weapons that are one size too large for your race, as if they were one size smaller, at a –2 penalty to hit. (This includes using two-handed weapons as single-handed weapons, as two-handed weapons are considered a size category larger.)

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Inverse Icarus posted:

A couple of levels of Titan Mauler Barbarian accomplishes this, mostly.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Danhenge posted:

If you're going to do that you might as well go like twf ranger and wield two of them to turn into a negative level blender

edit: oh it's a greataxe :\

Or use Transformative? It makes the weapon shapeshifting, though buying it twice is a bit steep.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

goatface posted:

Unless I'm remembering wrong, a large creature can wield a 2HW of medium size as if it were one handed. So, you just need to take the leadership feat to get some sort of casting caddy who knows enlarge person and can carry your bag of greataxes.

Or it only costs like 2,500 or 3,500 to get Enlarge Person with Permanency cast on yourself. You'd just need to find a wizard that can do it (which as far as I know shouldn't be hard if you've got access to a city).

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Or it only costs like 2,500 or 3,500 to get Enlarge Person with Permanency cast on yourself. You'd just need to find a wizard that can do it (which as far as I know shouldn't be hard if you've got access to a city).

until it gets dispelled and then you're boned!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

I think the Jotunbrud feat from Races of Faerun would work, as well.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Danhenge posted:

until it gets dispelled and then you're boned!

Well actually someone just spent an action using dispell on you instead of doing something to murder your rear end, and you still have a giant axe that makes negative levels. So.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Permanent Enlarge Person has become a very popular thing for melee characters in my groups. And while I could easily throw a series of dungeons with 5 foot (or less!) corridors and an army of Reduce Person/Dispel Magic users at them, I rarely do. I always make sure when they buy it to point out that those things can happen, but honestly it is such a tremendously nice buff for martial classes that I prefer to leave it alone most of the time. It makes martial battlefield control possible, keeps combat maneuvers viable for much longer, and is a nice bit of extra damage for players that like rolling really big numbers, which I have no issue with.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Couldn't you make 2 Small Life-Drinkers and then argue that you should be able to use them 1-handed?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Would anyone care to recommend some good sources of dungeons that I could basically totally rip off? I ran the first adventure of my new Pathfinder campaign on Saturday and the dungeon portion was perhaps the most boring slog of all time. My dungeon design skills are lacking, to say the least.

Stuff specifically for Pathfinder is preferred, but really good examples for other systems are also quite valuable to me right now.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I don't have any good suggestion for a source to rip off, but in general, avoid 5-foot-wide hallways or change them to be 10 feet wide, regardless of where you're getting the dungeon layout from.

Paizo likes to include them in their own dungeons because it keeps people from being exploitative in various ways (mostly ways that make martial classes better, since we all know that you can't let the non-magic people be good or useful), but they're also super-unfun since any melee characters get locked out of the fight entirely unless they're the one in front or have reach. Plus, single-file hallways pretty much completely remove battlefield maneuverability from the game, which is incredibly stupid since it turns the whole fight into just rolling at each other repeatedly until someone falls down.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Steal some modules/APs and look through those. Generally, they can be used for anything with a little reskinning and such.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

I don't have any good suggestion for a source to rip off, but in general, avoid 5-foot-wide hallways or change them to be 10 feet wide, regardless of where you're getting the dungeon layout from.

Paizo likes to include them in their own dungeons because it keeps people from being exploitative in various ways (mostly ways that make martial classes better, since we all know that you can't let the non-magic people be good or useful), but they're also super-unfun since any melee characters get locked out of the fight entirely unless they're the one in front or have reach. Plus, single-file hallways pretty much completely remove battlefield maneuverability from the game, which is incredibly stupid since it turns the whole fight into just rolling at each other repeatedly until someone falls down.

Haha This was part of the problem, but mostly because the players were able to reduce any encounter near a corridor to a bottleneck scenario in their favor. Two of the characters were ranged, and the third was a Summoner whose Eidolon had reach and some sort of feat that allowed him to utilize an AoO twice per round.

I'm going to scrap out thin corridors and start using more ranged and magic opponents. Not that I'm against rewarding the players for good strategy, but they'll probably get bored after the fifth bottleneck encounter.

Thank you for the awesome advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Evil Sagan posted:

Would anyone care to recommend some good sources of dungeons that I could basically totally rip off? I ran the first adventure of my new Pathfinder campaign on Saturday and the dungeon portion was perhaps the most boring slog of all time. My dungeon design skills are lacking, to say the least.

Stuff specifically for Pathfinder is preferred, but really good examples for other systems are also quite valuable to me right now.

If you are just looking for maps to fill with your own monsters, here are a bunch of old D&D maps available for free here: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mwa/archiveall

If you're looking for pre-made dungeons with pre-made encounters, grab some pathfinder modules.