Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

TheQuietWilds posted:

So due to the advice of this thread, I'm going to go to my financial aid office and ask for a professional judgement since I didn't get a Pell Grant this year. So I know in advance, what will they need from me to make the judgement? Do the GI Bill housing allowances count as income for the purposes of determining Pell Grant eligibility? I haven't started pulling unemployment yet, but was planning to start in August since I didn't get a Pell. I like money.

I just did this yesterday for the second year in a row. The financial aid office needed a letter of explanation as to why they should reconsider my Pell Grant amount, and proof of current income. I gave them a recent LES (I'm guard now) and a copy of my DD214 to prove that I left active duty in July 2013. The best thing to do is just go to the financial aid office, and tell them you need a reconsideration due to loss of income. They'll let you know what to do.

And yeah, BAH doesn't count for poo poo with this. Don't even mention it, because it's not considered taxable income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
BAH is an entitlement, not a source of income. Nobody can tax it, nobody can touch it, nobody can take it away.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

gleep gloop posted:

Don't know if an ex wife can go after it or w/e.

Nope. You and you alone.

Although you're BAH can be effected by a divorce, because of dropping a dependent.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Nope. You and you alone.

Although you're BAH can be effected by a divorce, because of dropping a dependent.

Incorrect. You're paid BAH as an E5 w/ dependents regardless of your previous rank or if you actually have dependents. It doesn't change.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How does the GI Bill work if I attend a certification course when school is out of session? I'm applying to an FAA flight dispatcher course next summer through Jeppesen. Their website states the GI Bill covers it.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Welp, got my first round of missing money. Voc rehab BAH hasn't showed up, and the ebenefits website isn't even showing anything for august (usually shows first of month payments around a week early).

Played a bunch of phone tag only to get a few 'everythings good on our end, dunno whats up'.

Derp

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Painsaw posted:

Welp, got my first round of missing money. Voc rehab BAH hasn't showed up, and the ebenefits website isn't even showing anything for august (usually shows first of month payments around a week early).

Played a bunch of phone tag only to get a few 'everythings good on our end, dunno whats up'.

Derp

Are you with usaa? They are having issues with their website and no transactions from today will show up.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Yeah I'm with USAA. Gotten everything else we should get today, so that's not an issue with me.

Finally got ahold of someone further up the chain, apparently my counselor never put in my paperwork for the month of july. And she's now on vacation. The green weenie has a long and veiny reach.

Edit: The entire voc rehab office took a day off or some poo poo.

Painsaw fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I will be fully enrolled/in classes the day I plan to take the GRE, will it still gently caress me out of an entire month of benefit? (Post 9/11)

Exams and certifications are the part of the benefit I don't understand, thanks in advance.

EDIT: brevity

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 1, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I start full time classes on Monday, first time drawing GI bill, at 100%.

How soon can I expect my first bah payment?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Mine started right on time. Expect it on the first of the following month. Other guys here have had different experiences. Mine has been pretty painless. I've had a few instances where payments were goofy, though. That's due to the idiosyncratic way that schools report your attendance to the VA in regards to mid-month semester/quarter transitions.

I'll tell you right now: get used to to dividing your BAH payment by the number of days in the month and then using that to figure out if the VA direct deposit is correct. That's handy to know for the scenario I described above. Also be aware of when exactly a semester/quarter officially starts and ends, too.

I hope you have a savings account with at least a few months rent + utilities, too. poo poo can happen and you don't want to be caught in a bad spot.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If all goes well, either August 31 or September 1, depends on your bank. Do you have an e benefits account? Do you know if your certifying official has already sent your enrollment to the VA? If you've gotten a payment for books already you know it's guaranteed to be on time. If you haven't it still may be though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Thanks for the info guys

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Seriously register here: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal if you haven't already. You will be able to see when the VA has certified your enrollment, when they've sent money to the school, you, and everything else.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

How does the GI Bill work if I attend a certification course when school is out of session? I'm applying to an FAA flight dispatcher course next summer through Jeppesen. Their website states the GI Bill covers it.

It comes out of the academic year cap. Certifications are weird like that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Monday the 28th of July? You'll get that (meaning 28,29,30,31st of July) whenever they process your certification for payment. Backpay can arrive at nonstandard times.

Your regular paycheck will be on the 29th of August (the last working day of the month) if you have USAA or similar it may be distributed on the 28th.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vasudus posted:

Monday the 28th of July? You'll get that (meaning 28,29,30,31st of July) whenever they process your certification for payment. Backpay can arrive at nonstandard times.

Your regular paycheck will be on the 29th of August (the last working day of the month) if you have USAA or similar it may be distributed on the 28th.

Sorry, I should've been more specific: Monday Aug 4. So it should still be end of August?

Saw e-bennies the link, just got home so I haven't signed up yet. Getting on it.

edit: is that site for active duty only? I'm not in DEERS or anything, no CAC.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sorry, I should've been more specific: Monday Aug 4. So it should still be end of August?

Saw e-bennies the link, just got home so I haven't signed up yet. Getting on it.

edit: is that site for active duty only? I'm not in DEERS or anything, no CAC.

There's some process to get verified without a CAC. It's a pain in the dick.

You'll be paid for 4-31 August, the check will arrive the 29th.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vasudus posted:

There's some process to get verified without a CAC. It's a pain in the dick.

You'll be paid for 4-31 August, the check will arrive the 29th.

That sounds awesome. Thanks man.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Does the 1 August BAH rate change for the Post-9/11 go in effect on 1 Aug or pay out the newer rate on 1 August?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Does the 1 August BAH rate change for the Post-9/11 go in effect on 1 Aug or pay out the newer rate on 1 August?

The VA's Official Facebook posted:

Happy GI Bill New Year!
The calendar year for the Post-9/11 GI Bill begins August 1st. This means a few things for Post-9/11 GI Bill students.
August 1st is the day updated Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) rates go into effect. The Post-9/11 GI Bill MHA is based on the military's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates for an E-5 with dependents. The Department of Defense adjusts the military BAH rate every calendar year on January 1st based on changes to housing costs across the country. Rates can either go up or down. If the BAH increased for your area, you will see it reflected in your September MHA payment. If the BAH decreased for your area, your MHA will not decrease unless you change schools or have more than a six-month break in training.

The clock restarts on your book/supplies stipend on August 1st as well. If you took 24 credit hours throughout the fall and spring and then attended summer (wow! Don’t you ever slow down?), you may not have received summer book money. On August 1st you’ll be able to get the book stipend again.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

My semester/quarter started at the end of July, I only started school in April this year. In April I got $500 for books. Does that mean I can get the other $500 because this is from the 2013 school year still? Also I have 100% post 9/11.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you have the College Fund tacking extra onto your BAH, then you switch schools, is the kicker amount recalculated or does it stay the same?

Edit: In a different zip code

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

lampey posted:

My semester/quarter started at the end of July, I only started school in April this year. In April I got $500 for books. Does that mean I can get the other $500 because this is from the 2013 school year still? Also I have 100% post 9/11.

In theory, yes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

If you have the College Fund tacking extra onto your BAH, then you switch schools, is the kicker amount recalculated or does it stay the same?

Edit: In a different zip code

Yes, they use some sort of financial sorcery to determine how. I couldn't even begin to tell you.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

gleep gloop posted:

Seriously register here: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal if you haven't already. You will be able to see when the VA has certified your enrollment, when they've sent money to the school, you, and everything else.

So it looks like I'm completely approved through here. It's showing 100%. Is there anything else I'm looking for in here? No payments have been sent out yet.

Oh also I applied for disability while I was on, pretty darn easy

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So it looks like I'm completely approved through here. It's showing 100%. Is there anything else I'm looking for in here? No payments have been sent out yet.

Oh also I applied for disability while I was on, pretty darn easy

It's good the VA is tracking you're eligible, but what you want to check now is your enrollment status. To do this, mouse over "view my STATUS" and hit "Check post 9-11 GI Bill Enrollment Status". If you see that the VA has your enrollment, then good news you'll probably be paid on time 100% no problem. If it's not there don't panic, but if doesn't show up soon go ask at your certifying official whats up.

Oh btw the option to view your enrollment is only available at certain hours for some reason lol.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Are parking permits usually covered as a fee under chapter 33? My school is implementing mandatory parking passes and was wondering about it since money is tight.

Also, if I already filled out my FAFSA and got turned down for anything other than loans, can I re-do that/go talk to financial aid about it? I think I hosed up and put down the money I got for BAH as income since I am a dumb babby that tries to do things alone. Wanna get that sweet grant money.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Re-do your FAFSA and file a loss of income appeal. We were just talking about this last week so search the last page or two for more info.

I cannot state it enough: fill out loss of income appeals if your tax return doesn't match your current income level. My school awarded me $0 Pell Grant money until I filed the loss of income appeal with a letter stating my current financial standing, W-2 stubs, and my tax return. It took me about 40 minutes of work and now I was awarded a maxed out Pell Grant for this upcoming academic year.

Stay on top of this poo poo.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Justin Tyme posted:

Are parking permits usually covered as a fee under chapter 33? My school is implementing mandatory parking passes and was wondering about it since money is tight.

Someone else might be able to give you a definite answer but from what I understand, anything deemed mandatory (like school-provided health insurance) can be covered as a fee. I'd definitely ask the vet finance people about it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Justin Tyme posted:

Also, if I already filled out my FAFSA and got turned down for anything other than loans, can I re-do that/go talk to financial aid about it? I think I hosed up and put down the money I got for BAH as income since I am a dumb babby that tries to do things alone. Wanna get that sweet grant money.

If the school makes every single person purchase one, then yes. If they make an exception for students without a car that may be enough reason to get it denied. It depends on your certifying official, he could technically get anything paid for if he wanted to.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

gleep gloop posted:

It's good the VA is tracking you're eligible, but what you want to check now is your enrollment status. To do this, mouse over "view my STATUS" and hit "Check post 9-11 GI Bill Enrollment Status". If you see that the VA has your enrollment, then good news you'll probably be paid on time 100% no problem. If it's not there don't panic, but if doesn't show up soon go ask at your certifying official whats up.

Oh btw the option to view your enrollment is only available at certain hours for some reason lol.

Lol of course it would be. Because the internet isn't 24/7 or anything

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Get used to stuff like that with the VA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Lol of course it would be. Because the internet isn't 24/7 or anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uuNf3_FZH0

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
I received an email from my university's financial aid office stating that, because of my supposed poor performance, I am no longer eligible for financial aid. The only problem is, as of this writing, I have ten days until I start my first semester there. I'm hoping that they're not taking my military training (for which I received far more credit for than I was expecting) into account, as they didn't annotate a GPA for any of it. Also, when I checked my unofficial transcript, I noticed that they had already put the classes which I'm slated to take on there, but with an "IP" (in progress) annotation. I really hope that this was a clerical error and will be resolved soon, for it will be complete bullshit if I have to repeal a GPA that hasn't happened yet.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
You need to call someone immediately about that before you lose financial aid for it being too late.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gleep gloop posted:

You need to call someone immediately about that before you lose financial aid for it being too late.

Yes do not gently caress around with schools and money. No one will catch it if you don't call.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

eeboweebo posted:

I received an email from my university's financial aid office stating that, because of my supposed poor performance, I am no longer eligible for financial aid. The only problem is, as of this writing, I have ten days until I start my first semester there. I'm hoping that they're not taking my military training (for which I received far more credit for than I was expecting) into account, as they didn't annotate a GPA for any of it. Also, when I checked my unofficial transcript, I noticed that they had already put the classes which I'm slated to take on there, but with an "IP" (in progress) annotation. I really hope that this was a clerical error and will be resolved soon, for it will be complete bullshit if I have to repeal a GPA that hasn't happened yet.

Speak to a financial aid rep asap on what you need to do so that the probation gets lifted. It may be an error on their part, or they kept your grades on record from when you attended before you joined the military. You'll probably just have to write a short paragraph explaining why you did poorly, and how you plan on succeeding this time around.

Next, if you do have bad grades from a few years ago, get those old classes you did poorly in expunged from your official transcripts. Your counselor can usually help you with that.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 16, 2014

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
The funny thing is, the only credits that aren't the classes I'm enrolled in for the fall semester on my transcript come from mil-related items, like BMT, Tech School, CDCs and ALS/7-Level AFSC training. When I get back to my PC, I'll post what exactly is on my transcripts so you can see what they see.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Would you mind sharing what school this is?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

eeboweebo posted:

The funny thing is, the only credits that aren't the classes I'm enrolled in for the fall semester on my transcript come from mil-related items, like BMT, Tech School, CDCs and ALS/7-Level AFSC training. When I get back to my PC, I'll post what exactly is on my transcripts so you can see what they see.

Have you called/e-mailed anyone at all about this? It sounds like an automated notice fired off mistakenly but I'm not a computer guy I just got a big dick and a cool MOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
Yeah, the school is Daytona State College, which is a local comm. college not too far away from the beach. As soon as I received the email, I did send the financial aid office a reply, stating that this must be a mistake. Hopefully they'll get back to me on Monday, otherwise I'll probably just pay them a visit in person on Monday when I go pick up my books.

• Locked thread