Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Misogynist posted:

The bigger problem is that the divergent ZFS codebases mean that many more independent vendors are using Illumos ZFS than Oracle ZFS. Oracle now has vendor lock-in on their formerly open-source filesystem, while the competition doesn't.

This typically doesn't factor into business decisions, but it's important, I think. Especially so now, since open-source ZFS uses feature flags instead of hard/meaningless version numbers.

True, Version 28 is going to be the best version I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Is this your primary storage? If not why not?
No, it's not. We have hundreds of servers, and we really leverage the snapmanager products from NetApp for the things we really have to backup. But for VDI and Citrix, we wanted raw IOPS as inexpensively as possible, while still having some nice replication and HA.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Corvettefisher posted:

Look into things like SRM, Veeam, or PHDvirtual for that. SRM has many nice features in it which can make a failover similar to the time of an HA event ~5 minutes, and can be automated.

Also what are your plans for backing up guest level objects such as files and settings inside the VM?
Looks like Veeam has the ability to recover files easily. The combination of Data Domains replicating Veeam backups to one-another seems like a pretty good basis for an adequate DR plan.

The automated failover of SRM looks nice, although not 100% necessary. It seems like it would kind of be a waste of storage and money, if I don't need the automated failover. SRM appears to require SAN to SAN replication which would eat up a lot of storage pretty quickly, even if the retention policy was relatively low, right? It would be nice if SRM could use compressed/deduped Veeam backups instead of just replicated SAN data.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

goobernoodles posted:

Looks like Veeam has the ability to recover files easily. The combination of Data Domains replicating Veeam backups to one-another seems like a pretty good basis for an adequate DR plan.

The automated failover of SRM looks nice, although not 100% necessary. It seems like it would kind of be a waste of storage and money, if I don't need the automated failover. SRM appears to require SAN to SAN replication which would eat up a lot of storage pretty quickly, even if the retention policy was relatively low, right? It would be nice if SRM could use compressed/deduped Veeam backups instead of just replicated SAN data.

SRM can leverage vsphere replication, though it will be nicer with SAN replication. Veeam is going to give you a lot of bang for your buck and will generally be able to give you replication and backup cheaper than SRM. Just need to be ready for it to act up now and again

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I sent EMC and the local reseller we've been working with an email to basically gently caress off trying to strong arm us into purchasing two DD620's immediately; got a reply from the VAR not to worry about the pricing and that he would get us a demo unit to try out. poo poo yes.

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 29, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
FYI Veeam and PHDvirtual both do deduped replications FYI.

Also for that environment I can't say I would jump to some 620's maybe some 160's

goobernoodles posted:

I sent EMC and the local reseller we've been working with an email to basically gently caress off trying to strong arm us into purchasing two DD620's immediately; got a reply from the VAR not to worry about the pricing and that he would get us a demo unit to try out. poo poo yes.

yeah 160's are fine for your size, hell even Veeam or (I think PHDvirtual does automated) will dedupe + replicate. I would venture to a setup such as veeam or PHDvirtual and focus on a SAN, Network, and Hosts + licensing.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 29, 2013

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Corvettefisher posted:

FYI Veeam and PHDvirtual both do deduped replications FYI.

Also for that environment I can't say I would jump to some 620's maybe some 160's

yeah 160's are fine for your size, hell even Veeam or (I think PHDvirtual does automated) will dedupe + replicate. I would venture to a setup such as veeam or PHDvirtual and focus on a SAN, Network, and Hosts + licensing.
Between the two offices, we currently have about 6.5tb of total data that needs to be backed up. EMC sized us at 7tb of raw capacity for the 620, not accounting for the loss to RAID-6. Does a 3 to 1 compression ratio for initial back ups sound right to you? Having not seen it in practice, I can't help but see skeptical until I do.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
asd

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 30, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

XenServer 6.2.0 has been released and is now completely free and open-source (Unless you pay for support)! http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I see a lot of talk about VMware and hyper-v, but nothing about libvirt running on Linux. I've been playing around with libvirt and kvm and it seems to be working just fine, but I don't have any prior experience with virtualization. Anyone have an opinion on libvirt, or type 2 Linux hypervisors in general?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

goobernoodles posted:

Between the two offices, we currently have about 6.5tb of total data that needs to be backed up. EMC sized us at 7tb of raw capacity for the 620, not accounting for the loss to RAID-6. Does a 3 to 1 compression ratio for initial back ups sound right to you? Having not seen it in practice, I can't help but see skeptical until I do.

The 160 claims to do 16TB(and the enhanced 40TB) prior to any dedupe or compression.
https://store.emc.com/Product-Family/DATA-DOMAIN-PRODUCTS/c/DataDomain/layout?layoutType=false&page=0&grid=true&q=:relevance?PID=EMC

You might want to take a look at the 160's more so than the 620's.

cheese-cube posted:

XenServer 6.2.0 has been released and is now completely free and open-source (Unless you pay for support)! http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826
That's pretty cool

quote:

Deprecated Features:
"Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) support"

Ha this was some of the biggest things some shops would bring when debating VMware or Citrix

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 30, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

Not telling my boss about this because next thing you know he will make me learn Xen instead.

My buddy tells me that I should look at OpenStack for future projects and that it is a good technology to get to know as it should take a good chunk out of the VMware market. He has also swallowed the FOSS blue pill so a lot of poo poo that he says is somewhat idealistic. Is it something that I should expect to see more of in a SMB setting?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

demonachizer posted:

My buddy tells me that I should look at OpenStack for future projects and that it is a good technology to get to know as it should take a good chunk out of the VMware market. He has also swallowed the FOSS blue pill so a lot of poo poo that he says is somewhat idealistic. Is it something that I should expect to see more of in a SMB setting?

First off Openstack is a framework, it's not a hypervisor. It can work directly with VMware not replacing it, which vmware IIRC has invested a bunch of money into.

It's really quite rough around the edges currently, I really don't see to much use for it currently in the SMB space, has a bunch of potential though.

They did a good job explaining what it is does though on their site, worth a read
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/what-is-openstack.html

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 1, 2013

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I've been looking into OpenStack a lot recently and from what I've seen the technology is pretty good but, like others have said, pretty rough around the edges.

It's built for VMs that are not long lived. For many businesses this will probably not be a good fit.

I've also been looking at Cloudstack and that looks much better. Combined with Ceph it seems like you can built a pretty awesome cluster on relatively simple hardware.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I'm setting up a lab server with the following hardware:

IBM x3550 M4
2 x Intel Xeon 6C Processor Model E5-2620 95W 2.0GHz/1333MHz/15MB W/Fan
8 x 8GB (1x8GB, 2Rx4, 1.35V) PC3L-10600 CL9 ECC DDR3 1333MHz LP RDIMM
4 x IBM 1TB 2.5in SFF HS 7.2K 6Gbps NL SAS HDD
2 x IBM 256GB SATA 2.5in MLC HS Enterprise Value SSD

I'm not a storage guy, so originally I was just thinking of having two datastores, SSD and SAS disks, then use the SSD for whatever current VMs I am using, and moving the less used ones to SAS.

Then I read some fancy words on the internet like ZFS and L2ARC and whatnot. How would I build a standalone ESXi lab with this hardware for best storage performance? Is there any other technology that is better now (seems like l2arc is from 2008 from googling around)?

The HBA controller is a M1115 if that makes a difference.

I imagine something like:
- Boot ESXi from USB or some diskless device
- Run a VM that provides ZFS storage over iSCSI or NFS?

What are the recommended free ZFS appliances, if such a thing exists? Nexentastore? I assume the Sun/Oracle are $$$?

Fake edit: Just noticed ESXi 5 has a 32GB RAM limit, god damnit...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
L2ARC is the caching mechanism that ZFS uses.

You create a pool of disks and to that pool you add a cache disk.

ESXi only supports one physical processor. KVM here you come ;)

I run Ubuntu 13.04 with KVM and ZFS. Works pretty awesome.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

ESXi only supports one physical processor. KVM here you come ;)

I run Ubuntu 13.04 with KVM and ZFS. Works pretty awesome.

The free version of esxi has no limits on physical cpus, The essentials versions have a two socket limit.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere-hypervisor/requirements.html

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

jre posted:

The free version of esxi has no limits on physical cpus, The essentials versions have a two socket limit.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere-hypervisor/requirements.html

Well scratch my remark. Thought i read it somewhere.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

zapateria posted:

I'm setting up a lab server with the following hardware:

IBM x3550 M4
2 x Intel Xeon 6C Processor Model E5-2620 95W 2.0GHz/1333MHz/15MB W/Fan
8 x 8GB (1x8GB, 2Rx4, 1.35V) PC3L-10600 CL9 ECC DDR3 1333MHz LP RDIMM
4 x IBM 1TB 2.5in SFF HS 7.2K 6Gbps NL SAS HDD
2 x IBM 256GB SATA 2.5in MLC HS Enterprise Value SSD

I'm not a storage guy, so originally I was just thinking of having two datastores, SSD and SAS disks, then use the SSD for whatever current VMs I am using, and moving the less used ones to SAS.

Then I read some fancy words on the internet like ZFS and L2ARC and whatnot. How would I build a standalone ESXi lab with this hardware for best storage performance? Is there any other technology that is better now (seems like l2arc is from 2008 from googling around)?

The HBA controller is a M1115 if that makes a difference.

I imagine something like:
- Boot ESXi from USB or some diskless device
- Run a VM that provides ZFS storage over iSCSI or NFS?

What are the recommended free ZFS appliances, if such a thing exists? Nexentastore? I assume the Sun/Oracle are $$$?

If you're running the free version you won't get vmotion, so why don't you just use the ssd and sas as local storage ?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

zapateria posted:

If you install without a key you get all the enterprise plus features so just reinstall or "update" every 60 days

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

swampcow posted:

I see a lot of talk about VMware and hyper-v, but nothing about libvirt running on Linux. I've been playing around with libvirt and kvm and it seems to be working just fine, but I don't have any prior experience with virtualization. Anyone have an opinion on libvirt, or type 2 Linux hypervisors in general?

I'm somewhat biased, since I work on KVM-based projects, but it works extremely well. libvirt is just a framework, and virt-manager (virt-tools in general) aren't a good comparison to ESX or Hyper-V, since there's no orchestration whatsoever. When you start talking about Proxmox, Archipel, RHEV, oVirt, OpenStack, and other frameworks, those are all built on KVM (OpenStack supports multiple targets, but KVM is the most common use case). It straddles the gap between type 1 and type 2. It's fine for whatever your use case is, but when you start talking about "advanced" features (storage migration, fault tolerance, 3rd party vendor support, etc), it's a mixed bag compare to VMware and other products with larger ecosystems.

It's the cloud! Tautological explanation.

demonachizer posted:

I work for a FOSS company, and I'm not nearly as certain as your buddy is. VMware has a lot of smart people working there, large market share, good capitalization, and a lot of mindshare. ESXi is a loser, profit-wise, and it'll only get worse compared to KVM, Xen, and other hypervisors. Where VMware wins is ancillaries -- view, director, fabric, integration with ISVs (Veeam is a reasonably good example), integration with hardware vendors (VAAI, etc). Open-source and otherwise free virtualization is going to take a good chunk out of the VMware market. Not necessary Openstack, though it's buzzy.

Most of the people who use Openstack frankly don't understand the ideal use case, which is having a lot of low-state servers which are only differentiated from each other by configuration management tools, and a business case for spinning up more extremely rapidly. Development servers with one per developer is a good example. Or web servers.

What's not a good example is the typical use case for VMware: consolidation of a bunch of legacy servers you don't want to physically maintain anymore, controlled environments for development servers, resiliency for infrastructure servers, et al, because persistence, while possible through S3 analogues, isn't really a focus of the project at the moment. No doubt there are a lot of people trying to fit square pegs in round holes right now, but your general thought should be "do I have to manually configure this server once it's installed? Is it a nameless service provider?" If the answers to those questions aren't "yes", OpenStack is probably not the right solution for you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, we have way too many pets and very few cattle. It's just the nature of our business and converting pets to cattle isn't going to go very easily in the vast majority of cases nor does it make a ton of sense from a business perspective. So, things like OpenStack don't have a ton of appeal to us while we ARE using VMware.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The idea is that VMware is positioning their hypervisor to be the COBOL of the datacenter in another decade or two.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
A few weeks ago I installed VMWare Player on my PC to play around with some Linux distros. Everything worked fine in the VMs and stuff, but I noticed that when I went to restart my PC, my keyboard wouldn't work at Windows login. It worked fine in BIOS but once it got to the login screen, my mouse worked but my keyboard didn't. I futzed around with it and discovered that if I unplugged my mouse and KB, then plugged the mouse in first, then the KB in second, it would start working again. If I did it the other way it wouldn't work. I swapped mice and swapped the KB out with a PS/2 model, but that didn't fix it. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the associated drivers and nothing. I moved the VMware KB driver out of the /drivers folder and the keyboard stopped working altogther. The only thing that fixed it was uninstalling Player completely. I searched google but couldn't find anything. Anyone got any idea for a fix for this? It's really irritating since I power down my computer every day.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

jre posted:

If you're running the free version you won't get vmotion, so why don't you just use the ssd and sas as local storage ?

I could, but I was of the impression that some kind of ZFS magic would provide a smarter use of SSD as cache for the slower SAS disks, while presented in one big pool?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

L2ARC and ZIL are the things you have in mind.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

A few weeks ago I installed VMWare Player on my PC to play around with some Linux distros. Everything worked fine in the VMs and stuff, but I noticed that when I went to restart my PC, my keyboard wouldn't work at Windows login. It worked fine in BIOS but once it got to the login screen, my mouse worked but my keyboard didn't. I futzed around with it and discovered that if I unplugged my mouse and KB, then plugged the mouse in first, then the KB in second, it would start working again. If I did it the other way it wouldn't work. I swapped mice and swapped the KB out with a PS/2 model, but that didn't fix it. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the associated drivers and nothing. I moved the VMware KB driver out of the /drivers folder and the keyboard stopped working altogther. The only thing that fixed it was uninstalling Player completely. I searched google but couldn't find anything. Anyone got any idea for a fix for this? It's really irritating since I power down my computer every day.

It might be the keyboard filter driver. You can turn it off with Workstation, I am not sure about Player. The best bet would be to reinstall Player, but don't install the keyboard filter driver. Oh, and the UI setting in Workstation is called Enhanced Virtual Keyboard. It is a per VM setting. Past that I would need to see logs to figure out what is going wrong. If reinstalling without the filter driver doesn't fix the issue, shoot me a PM. I will give you an e-mail to send the logs to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This might be beyond the scope of this thread, but hopefully there is a sysadmin that can help me out.

I need to create an OEM build of a virtualized environment for surveillance recording servers.

Here is the setup:

1 physical server running 5 VMs with Windows Server 2012 OEM. 4 of the VMs will be running Milestone Professional recording software, and 1 VM will be running management tools. We prefer to use HyperV for this, but can use something else if we need to.

When everything is set up, we need to run Sysprep in such a way that the entire system is ready for OEM distribution, and the end user only needs to boot the server and set up user names and passwords for the VMs.

The Milestone and management softwares need to be pre-installed on the OEM image and ready to go.

Nobody at my company has experience with this, and we've reached out to Microsoft, Dell (the manufacturer of the servers), and every resource we can think of, and they've all come back without answers.

Does anyone know how to tackle something like this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Are you trying to make something along the lines of a Virtual appliance?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Are you trying to make something along the lines of a Virtual appliance?

No, this is shipping on physical servers. They just have to be pre configured with the correct VMs and applications.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'd like to think that you're shipping it on physical servers so you can keep tight control over the environment it lives in, but the skeptic in me knows you just want 1500% margin on the hardware.

edit: by you I mean your company, not you specifically.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Erwin posted:

I'd like to think that you're shipping it on physical servers so you can keep tight control over the environment it lives in, but the skeptic in me knows you just want 1500% margin on the hardware.

edit: by you I mean your company, not you specifically.

We're shipping it on physical servers because this is designed to be a stand-alone appliance "bundle" with predetermined hardware so the customer doesn't have to go through the trouble of setting it up themselves. We already sell the software by itself - it's just Milestone XProtect Professional.

https://www.milestonesys.com

Think of it like an embedded DVR, but for 64-256 camera IP solutions. It's just a bunch of off-the-shelf parts and software we're preconfiguring. I'll gladly sell all the pieces individually if that's what the customer wants, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 2, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well this is kinda neat. VisualEsxtop

http://labs.vmware.com/flings/visualesxtop

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

DevNull posted:

It might be the keyboard filter driver. You can turn it off with Workstation, I am not sure about Player. The best bet would be to reinstall Player, but don't install the keyboard filter driver. Oh, and the UI setting in Workstation is called Enhanced Virtual Keyboard. It is a per VM setting. Past that I would need to see logs to figure out what is going wrong. If reinstalling without the filter driver doesn't fix the issue, shoot me a PM. I will give you an e-mail to send the logs to.

Thanks for this, but it turns out I was wrong. It appears to be linked to the Logitech receiver for my G700s. I had the mouse hooked up by cable only when I first rebooted after uninstalling Player, so I thouhght that was what fixed it. Welp, back to the drawing board.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does anyone else have this problem where vCloud director will just drop all saved credentials?

Not sure if it is related to the fact for my lab I am using the internal DB, but I have a hunch it is.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Just got done virtualizing my home file server. I think the worst part of the whole thing was the vmkfstools commands to pass my old disks in as raw.

I'll probably end up ordering a Xeon and a Mini ITX server motherboard soonish though. Two cores isn't enough.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Just got done virtualizing my home file server. I think the worst part of the whole thing was the vmkfstools commands to pass my old disks in as raw.

I'll probably end up ordering a Xeon and a Mini ITX server motherboard soonish though. Two cores isn't enough.

Get an i5 instead.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Two cores isn't enough.
...for a file server? Or for that plus other VMs?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Really? My Lab's ZFS(NFS/ISCSI) server runs on 2 cores just fine, also any reason you went for raw over Zero'd VMDKS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Really? My Lab's ZFS(NFS/ISCSI) server runs on 2 cores just fine, also any reason you went for raw over Zero'd VMDKS?

It's running a dual core machine with both cores allocated to the file server. I virtualized the file server so I could spin up a home lab environment. Eventually I want to be able to run multiple servers on the machine. Right now I'm in the process of building a domain controller. Eventually I want to migrate my firewall to it as well.

As for the raw vs vmdks thing. I had data on the machine already. I just wanted to shim a hypervisor in there so I could do other things with the machine. It wouldn't have been feasible for me to migrate 4.5TB of data elsewhere.

evol262 posted:

Get an i5 instead.

Why an i5? A Xeon E3-1230v3 isn't that much more and I get hyper threading plus vt-d.