Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Okay, experts. I use Express Scribe. And for one client it works fine, because this client uses the running time and only asks that I note the starting BITC and any jumps in the BITC.

However, for DT, even if they don't put in jumps, quite routinely with the BITC I end up somehow gaining approximately 1 second for every 10 minutes of tape. (Or whatever it is. Not tape. But that's the easiest way to say it.)

I know this is probably due to the frame rate, and ES does not do frames. But there must be some way to change it so I don't always, always have to make adjustments every 10 minutes. I'm a really fast typist and I like to get going and just slap the TC in automatically, but then I end up having to go back through the whole file and change the seconds. If I could only get it to use just the codec[?] for whichever type file I'm working from, would that help? And how would I even do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Just look at it when you paste it in and compare it to what's on the screen? I mean that .5 second action isn't going to slow you down. That's what I do, if it's drifting a lot I just open up the file info and adjust it +/- so it's mostly right.

Also, they never complain about TC being a few seconds off either-I've only seen one project where they say "must be accurate to within 2 seconds."

AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CAN'T JUST ADD FRAMES AND FPS TO EXPRESS SCRIBE

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest giving the InqScribe trial a shot. Setting frame rates and batch altering time codes are a snap.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

thylacine posted:

Just look at it when you paste it in and compare it to what's on the screen? I mean that .5 second action isn't going to slow you down. That's what I do, if it's drifting a lot I just open up the file info and adjust it +/- so it's mostly right.

Also, they never complain about TC being a few seconds off either-I've only seen one project where they say "must be accurate to within 2 seconds."

AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CAN'T JUST ADD FRAMES AND FPS TO EXPRESS SCRIBE

Looking at the screen doesn't slow me down, but going in and changing the TC manually does. Once it gets more than 2 seconds off I go in and reset the TC offset, EXCEPT sometimes the BITC starts at 00:00:00 and then what do I do? So in that case I have to change the last digit of the TC every single time, and that does slow me down.

We should all send Express Scribe emails suggesting how they can improve their software.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest giving the InqScribe trial a shot. Setting frame rates and batch altering time codes are a snap.

I did try it. There was something I didn't like about it--maybe I couldn't type in Word? Anyway, I rejected it.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Seriously, InqScribe is great when you need to go back and fix time codes. You can just select the area of the transcript that needs fixing and add/subtract a second or two and it'll update them all. It does frames and different frame rates. It'll also let you go below 00:00:00 when you need to subtract a second or two. You are typing in notepad essentially. I have an AutoHotKey script I use as an autocorrect when I type in InqScribe and that makes things a lot easier.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Rhymes With Clue posted:

I did try it. There was something I didn't like about it--maybe I couldn't type in Word? Anyway, I rejected it.

You can't. You use the built in word processor, which now has a find and replace function...or always did and I just found it... but anywho, seriously saves you so much time! And in the end, cut, paste into word, do your edits, boom, done.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Anyone out there still doing writing for cash, I got a sponsored Facebook ad for http://www.swarmcontent.com/ that looks to be a site trying to compete with Constant Content. Poking around, prices seem to be about the same as CC, though it's hard to tell for sure.

The trick is, the site literally opened this month, so now's the perfect time to establish a presence as a top-tier writer for it, if that's your thing. Assuming, of course, that they don't have issues paying people. They're too new to have reviews that I've seen.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
So, what's the prospect on second chances?

My roomie works for leapforce and makes decent money off of it. Of course, I can't work for them cuz' of the one per household thing.
I tried submitting an application to Lionbridge, but my roomie's friend who works for lionbridge used our connection once, so they flagged our IP. I sent them an email explaining, and they sent back another form letter saying that they've accepted and are moving forward. Got the sort of "do you agree to the terms of this job" form to fill out, submitted, and then after a few days I got another copy of that same form letter about the IP conflict again, and no matter what I did they wouldn't respond to any more emails, and the link for their support email on their site was dead.
I tried Appen Butler and they rejected me for not having enough facebook friends. :\

So basically, is there any good way that I can get in with any of these ones?

Putting thought to trying out writing smut for cash to sell on Amazon since I've spent half my life writing ERP too...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8bitlawd posted:

Is there a free variation of the fastfox typing extender?

Moog posted:

after a few days I got another copy of that same form letter about the IP conflict again, and no matter what I did they wouldn't respond to any more emails

Nighthand posted:

issues paying people

kazmeyer posted:

don't tell you up front how much the pay rate is for a given gig

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Just got fired from Lionbridge. One email in the morning asking me to work as many hours as possible, 18 hours later a termination notice saying that I wasn't meeting their quality standards

Somehow I'm feeling like the thread title isn't quite right.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
pls don't close the thread that I get close to 40% of my workforce from

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No fear. Snark != censorship

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

slap me silly posted:

No fear. Snark != censorship

Oh good, I was about to post a few paragraphs of justification.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

Oh good, I was about to post a few paragraphs of justification.

Thank god you changed your mind! :D

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

slap me silly posted:

Thank god you changed your mind! :D

Always preview reply before posting! It saves so much hassle. And efbs.

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...

Nighthand posted:

Anyone out there still doing writing for cash, I got a sponsored Facebook ad for http://www.swarmcontent.com/ that looks to be a site trying to compete with Constant Content. Poking around, prices seem to be about the same as CC, though it's hard to tell for sure.

The trick is, the site literally opened this month, so now's the perfect time to establish a presence as a top-tier writer for it, if that's your thing. Assuming, of course, that they don't have issues paying people. They're too new to have reviews that I've seen.

Thanks for the tip! I uploaded three articles that weren't selling on Constant Content. Will update as I hear back from them. The only issue I see at the moment is a quite long period between purchase and payout - end of the month following the month where the article sells.

Edit: My articles are up already. looks like they show the whole article as an image without any buyer registration barrier, so if someone was super cheap/bored they technically could try and retype it out/ocr it, but eh.

SuBeCo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 19, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anyone experiences with Speechpad or Rev?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I did some work for SpeechPad back when they were called SpeechInk. Got paid. No problems. Nice time killer. Don't bother with the larger files, and work through their site instead of the mTurk hits. What I did was usually short insurance calls. Strict verbatim and their style guide is a short novel, but at 2 minutes a file it was pretty easy. SpeechPad I think would be a great company to try out if you're just starting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sounds reasonable, I'll try to check them out tomorrow then. Cheers!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Welp I hit the apex of my transcription career yesterday: Listening to a certain white haired and crazy guy take a leak.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kalstrams posted:

Anyone experiences with Speechpad or Rev?

Rev pays out weekly via paypal. The often have a lot of work. There's no quality control, clients just upload the files. Quality is often poor. Pay is also terrible, but if you're in dire straights they're okay. Also their format is weird, far too clean to be sensible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Rev pays out weekly via paypal. The often have a lot of work. There's no quality control, clients just upload the files. Quality is often poor. Pay is also terrible, but if you're in dire straights they're okay. Also their format is weird, far too clean to be sensible.
Sounds good for me, I'm just exploring options to fuel my gaming habbits.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I do Rev's captioning for beer and gaming money. It's pretty easy but you can't live off of it obviously but it's good for supplemental money.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I have to transcribe an hour long interview with the gooniest loving goon going on about the starving people in Africa and how they're all really content with their lives. I'd like to reach through my screen and punch him in his greasy beer gut. This is supposed to be market research about cars.

edit: :(:hf::(

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 24, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AuntBuck posted:

I have to transcribe an hour long interview with the gooniest loving goon going on about the starving people in Africa and how they're all really content with their lives. I'd like to reach through my screen and punch him in his greasy beer gut. This is supposed to be market research about cars.

I am intimately familiar with that gently caress! That is going to be the worst loving car commercial ever.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

He also has an Asian wife and thinks using Seventh Generation dish soap puts him on the "cutting edge of environmentalism."

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nighthand posted:

Huge thanks for this tip. I feel like there's been next to nothing on Zerys and WritersDomain for a couple of months now (maybe I'm just unlucky? Anyone else?) so I've been trying to expand my CC repertoire but it's slow going. Having another option in the bag is always a plus.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Opinion Poll: What is your guys' experience with transcribing directly from a web link, i.e., a situation where you can't control playback with your own software? I have an upcoming situation that might warrant this method because the potential client is antsy about proxy videos floating around.

The content is, as usual, broadcast television. How hellish would it be to transcribe, say, Big Brother or Survivor, using this method? Would it severely limit your availability?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Perhaps if their web interface can have hotkeys assigned to it which you can assign to your foot pedal it'd be okay, otherwise gently caress that. It's not like it's not being downloaded to the host computer anyway while it's streaming and the person transcribing it is under an NDA.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

SuBeCo posted:

Thanks for the tip! I uploaded three articles that weren't selling on Constant Content. Will update as I hear back from them. The only issue I see at the moment is a quite long period between purchase and payout - end of the month following the month where the article sells.

Edit: My articles are up already. looks like they show the whole article as an image without any buyer registration barrier, so if someone was super cheap/bored they technically could try and retype it out/ocr it, but eh.

I'm taking a look at this as part of my semi-regular attempt to try to make money doing this sort of thing. I like the idea that you can just throw your own articles up there - all the other various writing websites eventually frustrated me to the point of giving up because clients would post some super helpful brief like "scrap metal" and expect 600 words, so I'd bang something vague out and the website would respond with "this doesn't appear to be targeted and isn't useful" and I was like "well, no poo poo."

But I'd forgotten what the biggest pain in the rear end is when it comes to writing some listicle nonsense, namely trawling for public domain images.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Opinion Poll: What is your guys' experience with transcribing directly from a web link, i.e., a situation where you can't control playback with your own software? I have an upcoming situation that might warrant this method because the potential client is antsy about proxy videos floating around.

The content is, as usual, broadcast television. How hellish would it be to transcribe, say, Big Brother or Survivor, using this method? Would it severely limit your availability?

I would not like to work like that.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 25, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

freebooter posted:

I'm taking a look at this as part of my semi-regular attempt to try to make money doing this sort of thing. I like the idea that you can just throw your own articles up there - all the other various writing websites eventually frustrated me to the point of giving up because clients would post some super helpful brief like "scrap metal" and expect 600 words, so I'd bang something vague out and the website would respond with "this doesn't appear to be targeted and isn't useful" and I was like "well, no poo poo."

But I'd forgotten what the biggest pain in the rear end is when it comes to writing some listicle nonsense, namely trawling for public domain images.

I've never included images in articles I post to these kinds of sites. Too much work for too little reward.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

If I couldn't rewind and the job was garbo reality like Survivor or Big Brother I would shoot myself instead of doing it.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 25, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nighthand posted:

I've never included images in articles I post to these kinds of sites. Too much work for too little reward.

What kind of stuff are you writing? My area of "expertise" is travel, and I feel like when you're running down a listicle about destinations, photos are kind of necessary. But then even aside from licensing all kinds of formatting problems crop up - especially since Swarm Content appears to want you to upload straight word docs.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Thinking about it a little more, I just want to be able to use my foot pedal to control the video. If I can set that up somehow, and they don't need timecodes I have to enter manually every 30 seconds, things would be just fine.

I had a client a few years ago that streamed audio and video files. Their entertainment stuff was kind of a nightmare to do. You'd do everything in their software, including the word processing, and they had 20-something tags and formatting set to hotkeys that you couldn't change. That was misery.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

freebooter posted:

What kind of stuff are you writing? My area of "expertise" is travel, and I feel like when you're running down a listicle about destinations, photos are kind of necessary. But then even aside from licensing all kinds of formatting problems crop up - especially since Swarm Content appears to want you to upload straight word docs.

I've never used pictures either, unless the client asks for it. For Constant Content I normally write about animals (dogs, cats etc.) because that stuff sells weirdly well on that site.

I haven't given Swarm Content a try yet but I think I'll give it a shot.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

freebooter posted:

I've written a little about everything over the last few years, though I suppose my specialty is marketing so it doesn't need imagery all that much.

I just figure that whoever I'm writing for either is paying a graphic designer or has one on staff to turn the text I put in into functional blog posts. I would see people specifically asking for images on Textbroker but gently caress those guys, I'm not finding six public domain images for a 1,000-word post that pays me $14.

The way I look at it, a picture is worth a thousand words. Want me to find one? Pay me the equivalent. I'm a writer, not a designer.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

If I couldn't figure out a way to rip the stream and convert it into a format where I could use my own software, I'd probably ask for about five times the going rate in the hopes that the client would just go away.

Tell 'em to write a supplemental NDA with some teeth if they're that worried about it. I've got a client I did work for like a year+ ago that I still can't name or I'm pretty sure he or she would be legally allowed to shoot me in the face with a shotgun.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

If I couldn't figure out a way to rip the stream and convert it into a format where I could use my own software, I'd probably ask for about five times the going rate in the hopes that the client would just go away.

Tell 'em to write a supplemental NDA with some teeth if they're that worried about it. I've got a client I did work for like a year+ ago that I still can't name or I'm pretty sure he or she would be legally allowed to shoot me in the face with a shotgun.

Every time you bring this client up I always conjure up Ted Nugent in my mind's eye :v:

All very good food for thought; anyone else, feel free to chime in.

e:
me irl while captioning Hood2Hood from scratch

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
I'm not sure how often they pop up but on crowdsource.com there are a lot of jobs for 250 word product descriptions at 12.50 a pop right now. I can do two an hour and I'm not even very good at them. I don't see the site mentioned here much but I figure if stuff like this comes along it's probably a place worth keeping your eye on.