Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Sure, but at the root of it was that he was mad at his wife for not being properly his chattel. And lets face it, given his job he knew she was going to be punished severely - he may have lied to himself about how it would have ended but he knew from experience what happened to people who were ratted out like she was. And his attempted suicide by cop was merely him trying to get himself killed so he wouldn't have to live with the aftermath - which included Matty still being alive.

according to Alderode, wives should be subordinate to their husbands. quigley lived and died at the state’s pleasure, which isn’t conducive to free thinking. he’s also a plat, which are raised to consider themselves transient and disposable

none of this means he isn’t a bastard, but the State looms behind so much of the hosed up behavior in this story and should never be discounted. and Alderode is coming off the worst by far. Cresce is just dealing with standard court intrigue and evil viziers (and okay maybe a giant horngry snake man). Alderode literally warps the minds and bodies of its citizenry to perpetuate itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Did Quigley actually go snitch on the terrorists, or did the authorities suspect and he spilled the beans to save his rear end?

Since all we have going for it is the flashbacks to the shitdick interrogators and haven't read the Q&A in a while, the actual situation isn't very clear to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he snitched. the flashback before the interrogators’ chat with vienne has one of quigley’s neighbors telling him to get his woman under control. he took it to heart

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
If Duane had ever been in Quigley's position he would have turned his wife in as well, only even more naive about it and somehow continuing to believe she is at a summer camp upstate hanging out with a cool youth pastor who lets the girls know that "Ssael Says: State Subversion ain't Rad!"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Oxxidation posted:

the State looms behind so much of the hosed up behavior in this story and should never be discounted.
Something else to color the conversation: Duane (like Quigley) is a member of a caste with elevated expectations thrust upon them. Souds and Ssaelits both face severe discrimination, made worse by the Mmatont staging terrorist attacks on the regular. Duane has to be twice as upstanding, twice as patriotic, and twice as law-abiding as the next man, since any failure of his is going to be magnified several times over by the press and popular conception. Likewise, Quigley is a Plat. One of the gods' own. His life never belonged to him, not even as an infant; taught from birth he was fragile and beautiful and gifted, but also disposable, replaceable, confined to the moment.

The story's been pretty unflinching in showcasing their failures, their moral cowardice, but I feel like it's also maintained a sympathy for their smallness. In another story Duane or Quigley might be more straightforwardly celebrated Byronic heroes, whose brooding melancholies and dramatic impulses are so far removed from the average person that even their sins don't feel real. The more I read and reread Unsounded though, the more I'm struck by how pathetic and broken they are, victims of circumstances so far-reaching they could never comprehend what they're up against. As the audience, we've been afforded a real bird's eye privilege almost none of the involved characters will ever benefit from.

That said, I don't know where I stand on the "Duane would do the same" argument, regarding his wife (though admittedly we don't know much about her, and everything we've seen has been filtered through Duane's longing and nostalgia). We do know, however, that Duane retains a soft spot for children, even Crescian children. Tone deaf as his delivery was, he saw kept twins waiting for the slaughter and offered them salvation. Their nationality, ethnicity, didn't matter to him in that moment. It hasn't mattered at other junctions either. By contrast, Lem's men were far more calloused. They're kept twins and Crecians both. They best they could ever do is die, so what does it matter if it's now or later? What does it matter if they rape and pillage? But Duane took exception to that. Maybe he would for his wife as well.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Duane fundamentally couldn't find himself in Quigley's position, because Quigley's situation was the result of never having or forcing any expectations on Vienne, whereas Duane can't stop preaching.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't follow outside discussion, but has it been confirmed that this anti-wright fighter is actually someone new?

Ashley Cope posted:

Yeah, masked man isn’t Lemuel. Always weirds me out a little when I see that theory. He doesn’t look like Lem, doesn’t fight like Lem, doesn’t act like Lem.

From https://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/673792138323066880/so-many-people-saying-masked-man-is-lemuel

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I always thought that this was lem here in the final panel, on account of the blond wavy hair, and golden eyes. Looking back though, I'm no longer sure. Comparing to this page, hair is looks different, and the facial scar isn't visible. Definitely looks like Soud though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, that's the assassin with the spellslicer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It'll be interesting to see where Duane goes from here. It's been a long long fall but his Ssael epiphany this chapter seems to have seriously opened his eyes so far. Question is if he can maintain that moral clarity.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, gently caress you Lem.

I really hope he doesn't get some kind of bitter-sweet redemption arc.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mikalia calling Lemuel "Papa" is, uh, well it confirms some old (not mine) fan favorite predictions but opens the door to a whole load of "how and why" that people have also speculated about before. It's not comfortable so far.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The ride never ends.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Not gonna believe Matty's dead until we see the body.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 26, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

So a day or so ago Ashley responded to someone on her Q&A blog - informing her how upset they were at the previous page (Mikaila calling Lem "Papa") - saying she thought the upcoming page was worse.

Walking home from work today, knowing Unsounded had probably updated, I tried speculating what development she had in mind. Killing off Uaid and/or Matty felt like a real possibility, but didn't quite click for me, like something was missing. Eventually I decided Mikaila accidentally killing Uaid/Matty would probably be the most heartbreaking thing Ashley could devise.

That she would do it willfully, with a smile on her face, never even crossed my darkest assumptions. And yet, what else could Lem have turned her into?

Even if Matty is somehow spared, Mikaila still recognized him ("Death to traitors!") and took aim. That fact ain't going away anytime soon.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

This is heartbreaking on multiple levels. Somewhat surprised, but it's Unsounded, where "everything is terrible". I mean who knows, the outcome with the previously most pure of heart kid possibly killing the undeniably most pure of heart kid, but still. Keeping hope alive.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

habeasdorkus posted:

Not gonna believe Matty's dead until we see the body.

This was really a typo that needed fixing

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

So, do you think that after all this Duane's finally been owned hard enough to stop thinking fascist ethnocracies are cool or is he going to have to spend a few more decades finding his way out of his own rear end in a top hat?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

This is heartbreaking on multiple levels. Somewhat surprised, but it's Unsounded, where "everything is terrible". I mean who knows, the outcome with the previously most pure of heart kid possibly killing the undeniably most pure of heart kid, but still. Keeping hope alive.

it would be appropriate if Matty instantly got murked after leaving the group. he was a peach but his survival skills were nonexistent

everything is terrible and keeps getting terribler!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

This was really a typo that needed fixing

WHOOPS. What I get for posting right before bed. Sorry.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

WHOOPS. What I get for posting right before bed. Sorry.

No prob for me, I saw a broken spoiler tag and noped out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anyway, I'm not sure how Lem convinced the Ssaelit military to accept a girl soldier. That seems like it should be a really big lift to make happen, unless a lot's changed in the Ssaelit culture.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd imagine that she's not officially a soldier, and instead an auxilliary of that Soud military group of which Lem's a member. Lions of something, I can't remember the name. As for why they accepted her, her uncle Lem is both the first Soud with a Vliegeng and a member, and her father was to be the first Soud to be promoted to Composer before he was brutally murdered by Cresceans. So it makes sense that they'd ignore/bend the rules for her, even though the rules are officially still the rules.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd imagine that she's not officially a soldier, and instead an auxilliary of that Soud military group of which Lem's a member. Lions of something, I can't remember the name. As for why they accepted her, her uncle Lem is both the first Soud with a Vliegeng and a member, and her father was to be the first Soud to be promoted to Composer before he was brutally murdered by Cresceans. So it makes sense that they'd ignore/bend the rules for her, even though the rules are officially still the rules.

She was also a very gifted wright in her own right, wasn't she?

Drakyn posted:

So, do you think that after all this Duane's finally been owned hard enough to stop thinking fascist ethnocracies are cool or is he going to have to spend a few more decades finding his way out of his own rear end in a top hat?

Guess we'll have to wait and see where Duane's head is at on this

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GunnerJ posted:

Anyway, I'm not sure how Lem convinced the Ssaelit military to accept a girl soldier. That seems like it should be a really big lift to make happen, unless a lot's changed in the Ssaelit culture.

We don't really know how accepting or even aware the Ssaelit military is as a whole, there's likely a certain amount of looking the other way involved. Lem commands enough personal loyalty to get his men on board (remember, not everyone is a fanatic like Duane) and nobody else really needs to know.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

She was also a very gifted wright in her own right, wasn't she?

Guess we'll have to wait and see where Duane's head is at on this

Right, but girls aren't allowed to be wrights in Alderode. IIRC Duane was training her in part because otherwise she would get herself and/or others killed trying to learn on her own.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I would assume it's because she's (maybe?) famous. Duane is a martyr right and Lem's a war hero I think and if his niece is an extremely talented wright I'm sure they can tolerate a girl doing things because she's a symbol. Alternatively she had her face covered for a while, it might be a secret.

Edit: Also do we know that women being wrights is actually illegal or something or is it just an unwritten rule of "this isn't women's work" kinda stuff? Almost no one would teach her outside of Duane and polite society would give her an extreme side-eye for practicing it?

Glagha fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 26, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alderode has a mechanism precisely for the purpose of accepting exceptional talent into traditionally male roles - she could be going Third.

As for Matty, it'd be fitting if he dies here but the green outline is there to remind us he's covered by Uaid's field spreader, so while I'm confident Uaid is not making it past the chapter, Matty himself is either surviving or at the very least not being immediately atomized (so that Quigs can find his little dead/dying body).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Alderode has a mechanism precisely for the purpose of accepting exceptional talent into traditionally male roles - she could be going Third.

As for Matty, it'd be fitting if he dies here but the green outline is there to remind us he's covered by Uaid's field spreader, so while I'm confident Uaid is not making it past the chapter, Matty himself is either surviving or at the very least not being immediately atomized (so that Quigs can find his little dead/dying body).

I assume the in-comic discussion a while back about how the shrine's safe room wouldn't protect the girls from being roasted alive would apply equally to Matty and Uaid inside the field spreader. The field spreader can stop everything in and around Uaid from being liquefied but that just creates a small island in the middle of a molten, burning forest.

I guess Uaid's sheer size might keep Matty out of instakill temperatures for a little bit, long enough for a rescue/tragic death scene.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the River chapters did make a point of showing how easily Matty burns

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If Uaid's entire interior is field spreaded, that would contain the problem, but it certainly looks like some of the detonation made it out. Nevertheless, I choose to believe that all problems remain solvable by eating them.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Monday: Paternal term of affection.

Wednesday: That one meme with the little girl smirking at the camera while something is burning in the background, except it's war crimes.

I love this comic. Things are going to escalate and absolutely nobody is going to have a good time. :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
can't get over how matty looks in what's possibly his last non-crispy panel. like a gaffed fish

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

can't get over how matty looks in what's possibly his last non-crispy panel. like a gaffed fish

His facial expressions these last two pages have been a big part of the impact of this outcome.

If you want to do an emotional terrorism on yourself, jump from this page to Monday's.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

His facial expressions these last two pages have been a big part of the impact of this outcome.

If you want to do an emotional terrorism on yourself, jump from this page to Monday's.

Okay, seeing that page again, Matty is definitely 100% toast.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah Uaid 100% Toasty, Matty I imagine'll linger long enough for his papa to catch up to him and have a tender moment or two before he bites the dust, thus solidifying a second Roaring Rampage of Quiggles since we still never got a good look at what he could do if he really cared to fight and had nobody to have to protect. He's been mostly jobbed every single fight he's been in, he's gotta step up since our main caster lost his head just a couple seconds ago.

I wonder how long that smile on Miki's face'll last given they're still going back in total defeat, having to have used the juicer to cowardly bargain their way out of the total catastrophe of Ricker's squad's demise and the even heavier loss of two fellow vliegeng and crew. Especially given that the Crescians already have a Uaid army now, and also they failed to catch the traitorous coward Mathias Quigley in the bargain. Fascist governments are usually particularly harsh on their military failures, and Soud have the double demerit of being both the minority religion and the untrusted, minority race. Lem better stop losing his lunch and start thinking of how to fast talk his way out of this one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The facility was destroyed and as a bonus they eliminated the traitor Quigley who was clearly in league with the Crescians. It wasn't smooth sailing but the operational objectives were largely accomplished and it doesn't sound like Rickert would be missed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bad Seafood posted:

So a day or so ago Ashley responded to someone on her Q&A blog - informing her how upset they were at the previous page (Mikaila calling Lem "Papa") - saying she thought the upcoming page was worse.

Walking home from work today, knowing Unsounded had probably updated, I tried speculating what development she had in mind. Killing off Uaid and/or Matty felt like a real possibility, but didn't quite click for me, like something was missing. Eventually I decided Mikaila accidentally killing Uaid/Matty would probably be the most heartbreaking thing Ashley could devise.

That she would do it willfully, with a smile on her face, never even crossed my darkest assumptions. And yet, what else could Lem have turned her into?

Even if Matty is somehow spared, Mikaila still recognized him ("Death to traitors!") and took aim. That fact ain't going away anytime soon.

fwiw I don't think most people know about Quigley beyond "Quigley betrayed the state and stole a weapon in the process" and probably aren't even aware Matty exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
New page
It says so much about this comic that I was caught off guard by this page