Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The General posted:

The box is big and looks impressive on your shelf. Beside all the other games you don't play.

i'll put it next to my copy of Source of the Nile, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fat Samurai posted:

It was a bad joke that doesn't hold up to close scrutiny very well.

Me and my copy of FitL that's sitting on my shelf looking cool (and little else) appreciated it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My copy of A World At War (which isn't even punched) and the Warfighter Footlocker (which I play all the time) both look really good on my shelf.

Definitely conversation pieces.

Except the conversation is basically, "what's all that?" "Oh, war board games, it's something I do to kill time." "Oh... alright whatever"

edit-- Right beside my copy of Awakening the Bear that someone threw in a huge box with no padding, and it arrived to me mostly demolished.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the Cruel Necessity of stockpiling boardgames

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i mean, is the solitaire play with fitl not any good, is that why you never play it? because i still have time to cancel my order if it, like, sucks and stuff

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

i mean, is the solitaire play with fitl not any good, is that why you never play it? because i still have time to cancel my order if it, like, sucks and stuff

The flowcharts are pretty good, and I had a lot of fun with it solitaire. Though, of course, it is better with other people.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have no idea if the solo is any good.

I cant work out the game by myself. I can kinda understand what the actions do. But I can't figure out the why. Or what I'm trying to accomplish, and etc.. So following the flow charts is kinda hard, when I've just no idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

The flowcharts are pretty good, and I had a lot of fun with it solitaire. Though, of course, it is better with other people.

well, that's good, then. i usually don't buy big wargames even though i love playing them because it really is almost impossible to get a group together to simulate ww2 for ten hours. solo-capable stuff is good.

i mean, i always dream that i'll find three other people who reeeeeeally like the vietnam war and also board games but i never have

e: I've owned a copy of Tenjo for literally a decade and never played it. I'm not making that mistake again

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm stalking Bolt Action plastic germans so I could buy them once the 50% off plastic comes in, even though I should be spending that dosh on counterfeit space marine legs, or counterfeit tiny tanks, or more Heroics and Ros (the poor European's GHQ) or actually saving up for group purchase of SAGA even thought I know nobody plays Bolt Action, nay, historicals around these parts (which in turns means the whole God drat country).

I'M WORSE THAN THE LOT OF YOU.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

COOL CORN posted:

edit-- Right beside my copy of Awakening the Bear that someone threw in a huge box with no padding, and it arrived to me mostly demolished.

Sounds like what happened to the Wehrmacht! :downsrim:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Sounds like what happened to the Wehrmacht! :downsrim:

ayyyyy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The General posted:

I have no idea if the solo is any good.

I cant work out the game by myself. I can kinda understand what the actions do. But I can't figure out the why. Or what I'm trying to accomplish, and etc.. So following the flow charts is kinda hard, when I've just no idea.

COIN games, unfortunately, are the kind you have to play through a time or two just dicking around so that you have some inkling of WHY you're doing things.

The actions themselves are pretty self-explanatory using the player aids.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Incidentally, what the gently caress is in that box? It's a card game!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I played the medium length game solo one time as US, and got demolished almost immediately. I got hit with not one but two Têt Offensives back to back from the VC bot. It's now the only one in the series I hesitate to play alone.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

KomradeX posted:

I played the medium length game solo one time as US, and got demolished almost immediately. I got hit with not one but two Têt Offensives back to back from the VC bot. It's now the only one in the series I hesitate to play alone.

Wha? Do the Bots not follow the rules? Because once you Tet you lose it unless you get one of the cards with the event that puts it back in your hand.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

Incidentally, what the gently caress is in that box? It's a card game!

Not my picture, but room for all the cards + upcoming expansions, and room for the new mounted mapboard, rulebook, scenario book, and two counter trays.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I have played Fire In The Lake solo--using the bots for the other 3 factions--several times and enjoyed it immensely. However, playing it that way takes a full weekend day, even just playing the short scenario. The game and the COIN system are excellent, and the bots are probably the most thorough ever created. But I look forward to playing it with humans in a more reasonable time frame.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Das_Ubermike posted:

Wha? Do the Bots not follow the rules? Because once you Tet you lose it unless you get one of the cards with the event that puts it back in your hand.

There's an event which allows them to execute it again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Das_Ubermike posted:

Bots always do op+special actions IIRC.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Bots always do op+special actions IIRC.

Isn't there a list of events they'll take?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

Isn't there a list of events they'll take?

Yeah there are some instructions for that, but when they do ops, it's always op+special, there are no limited ops or just plain ops.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So I thought about getting myself something from the Band of Brothers series, but it turns out they will be doing a second printing with mounted boards and poo poo that got delayed juuust enough so I won't be able to gift it myself. The war on christmas continues!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Das_Ubermike posted:

Yup that's exactly what happened, it was the General Uprising card and when the VC were able to take their next turn it was the actual Têt card.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I've got a little ol' game called Vietnam: 1965-1975 that someday...someday...someone will play with me. But until then, the ugly as hell box sits on my shelf and waits...and waits.

It's weird, the colour of the title for that game is a really 90's slime green, despite the game coming from the 80's.

Also there is something really reassuring about buying ugly-rear end games that are older than you are.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Also there is something really reassuring about buying ugly-rear end games that are older than you are.
Wooden Ships & Iron Men for me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I only play new designs, I'm the wargaming hipster.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

So I gather you wouldn't mind donating some 8-year old Rachel Simmons games for my little Napoleonic museum?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

So I gather you wouldn't mind donating some 8-year old Rachel Simmons games for my little Napoleonic museum?
I won't deign this post with an answer

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Are any of the hexwar games on iOS worth getting? Seems like there's a Black Friday sale on quite a few.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What's up, Vietnam buddy?

I've got a little ol' game called Vietnam: 1965-1975 that someday...someday...someone will play with me. But until then, the ugly as hell box sits on my shelf and waits...and waits.

I've wanted to play that SO BAD.

Can you measure the map's footprint so I can figure out if it'll fit on my game table?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

Oh yeah, I only PLAY new designs. That's because my friends are heathen philistines who do not understand the beauty in decades old drably coloured nato symbol counters.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh yeah, I only PLAY new designs. That's because my friends are heathen philistines who do not understand the beauty in decades old drably coloured nato symbol counters.

Look at this guy, actually playing his games

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

I've wanted to play that SO BAD.

Can you measure the map's footprint so I can figure out if it'll fit on my game table?

VG Vietnam is pretty much "search and destroy" simulator 1985. It's got some interesting stuff but it's very geared toward being SnD after SnD. SnD is most of the game.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Wargames Tread: You have no friends and your table is too small

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TIL: Amphibious attackers in EOTS defend at half strength.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, it really makes amphibious landings brutal. Every now and again as Japan I get the idea of surprise landing troops somewhere and quickly realise I just can't spare the manpower to the inevitable flip.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Wargames Tread: You have no friends and your table is too small

Too real... It's TOO REAL...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all
The War Store sale had me looking at some of the folio and mini-folio games from Decision Games. CSI doesn't seem seem to stock very many of them and discussion on BGG is pretty limited. How are they? (I also saw they publish a sprawling WW1 game called Der Weltkrieg--is the starter pack worthwhile?)