Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Yes that's the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My two year old is all about the alphabet and exclaims "P-L-E-X!" every time I launch the app to show her some Sesame Street. It's real :3:

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

They just released PlexAmp. It's a music player for Plex. This is great for me because I mainly use Plex these days for my music collection. Saves me leaving a tab open just to play my tunes.

No PlexMix in it yet, wtf.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

insularis posted:

No PlexMix in it yet, wtf.

The artist/library radio seem like they're going to replace plex mix. The artist radio in particular seems to be better/more accurate than plex mixes. Perhaps they found a better data source than gracenote. I haven't found a legal info screen for plexamp to check if there are any new deals revealed in there.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

xarph posted:

The artist/library radio seem like they're going to replace plex mix. The artist radio in particular seems to be better/more accurate than plex mixes. Perhaps they found a better data source than gracenote. I haven't found a legal info screen for plexamp to check if there are any new deals revealed in there.

Interesting, thanks.

I'm honestly surprised that there aren't algorithms that can be run against a collection to do the same thing as Gracenote without needing a third party service. I mean, hell, use up my CPU for a week analyzing tempo, rhythm structures, etc.

P2P it with other users in a torrent system with hashed file values or the metadata from tags, if it needs to be "centralized". One of my top likes in an audio playback app is an auto-DJ function, and Plex breaks it constantly (or songs don't have any match data, which could be fixed with a local algorithm).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the AppleTV 4K play 4K (2160p) content served from Plex well? I guess I’m looking for direct play, no transcoding, etc. I just bought a 4K TV and a Chromecast Ultra for it but I’m not a fan of having to control everything through my phone so I’m considering returning it for something else.

Roku isn’t sold in this country so it’s down between the Shield and AppleTV. I’m interested in the Shield more to be honest, but AppleTV would also bring in Apple Music and HomeKit.

Fake edit: comedy option would be grabbing a PS4 Slim on sale for less than a Apple TV 4K :v: though I’m not sure how loud those are running video streaming content.

Real edit: it appears the ps4 slim can’t output 4K video

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 25, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shield.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I’ve owned a Shield for the last two years and just switched to Apple TV 4K. The UI is miles better in my opinion and since I’m an iPhone and iPad user everything syncs up. ITunes has 4K Dolby Vision content that’s often a lot cheaper than physical media.

Now my Shield sits without HDMI cable and is a Plex server.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

snuff posted:

I’ve owned a Shield for the last two years and just switched to Apple TV 4K. The UI is miles better in my opinion and since I’m an iPhone and iPad user everything syncs up. ITunes has 4K Dolby Vision content that’s often a lot cheaper than physical media.

Cool, well, the answer to all that compatibility stuff in your earlier post is still "Shield."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everything has compatability options still, which is frustrating. Off the top of my dome, the Shield is in the list of devices that can’t play media encoded with 2 reference frames without transcoding. Feels like that’s a Plex issue though, and maybe they’ll eventually fix it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Everything has compatability options still, which is frustrating. Off the top of my dome, the Shield is in the list of devices that can’t play media encoded with 2 reference frames without transcoding. Feels like that’s a Plex issue though, and maybe they’ll eventually fix it.

Might be worth bringing that up on r/Plex or the Plex forums. When DVR first launched I asked r/Plex why it was transcoding mpeg2 when the Xbox One can play it natively, they responded and had a fix out the next day.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

snuff posted:

I tried the Apple TV recently and I have no idea how someone could come to that conclusion. Not only is the UI really weird, the controller is the worst piece of poo poo I've ever used. I guess it could be more tolerable with a Harmony or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

Might be worth bringing that up on r/Plex or the Plex forums. When DVR first launched I asked r/Plex why it was transcoding mpeg2 when the Xbox One can play it natively, they responded and had a fix out the next day.

They know about it, it’s been a problem for a long time and the user base were the ones that did all the digging to work out why certain titles just weren’t working properly. Affects Shield, Apple TV, Smart TV app on at least my LG to my knowledge. Not sure about Xbox One, not PC desktop AFAIK, and not my dodgy 3rd party app XPLAY which seems to be the most reliable thing I’ve found.

We did work out on the boards that on at least the Xbox, you need a compatible audio track as #1 to get around it transcoding 4K video. Not sure if they’ve fixed that issue yet. It’s still lacking HDR too.

I love Plex, but for paid software there’s always something wrong. I’m gonna guess they’re not licensing known working stuff (hence that awful DVR channel grid) even though the cash flow is there to fix it rather than solve in house.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The biggest Shield problem - which affects Plex as well as every other video app - is it won't auto-switch colorspace. It only recently started being able to switch resolutions/frame rates well.

Combined with the fact that it also doesn't map bt.2020 color to 709 and I suspect there are a lot of 4k HDR TV owners out there wondering why 4k HDR looks great but everything else appears flat and color a little washed out. That's because the Shield, when set to auto (default) will pick the highest resolution/colorspace/etc. your display supports, but it won't change color containers based on content. This will give you a fairly crappy looking picture for non 4k HDR sources if you have a nice 4k HDR TV.

Since I am betting most of you play regular 1080p SDR or lower content via Plex it's something to consider. You can manually set the Shield to use rec.709 but then you'll have to set it back if you want to watch 4k HDR (via Netflix, etc. for example). Still if you think the picture for 1080p/lower doesn't look all that great on your 4k TV, try switching the colorspace manually under display/advanced, you'll probably be quite surprised.

Nvidia is aware of the issue so I imagine a fix is coming sooner or later.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

insularis posted:

Interesting, thanks.

I'm honestly surprised that there aren't algorithms that can be run against a collection to do the same thing as Gracenote without needing a third party service. I mean, hell, use up my CPU for a week analyzing tempo, rhythm structures, etc.

P2P it with other users in a torrent system with hashed file values or the metadata from tags, if it needs to be "centralized". One of my top likes in an audio playback app is an auto-DJ function, and Plex breaks it constantly (or songs don't have any match data, which could be fixed with a local algorithm).

These algorithms exist. The problem is that it's a minefield of patent infringement because the calculations are so broad and abstract with so many different layers.

http://hop.at/mirage/ is the only one I've found in the wild that works well, but the code is a disaster area and no one wants to make it very portable for the aforementioned patent reasons.

Hopefully listenbrainz will get out of beta soon enough to replace last.fm before that API closes its doors for good.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Godinster posted:

I tried the Apple TV recently and I have no idea how someone could come to that conclusion. Not only is the UI really weird, the controller is the worst piece of poo poo I've ever used. I guess it could be more tolerable with a Harmony or something.

Yeah I've dicked around with one at a friends and it's not something I would use as a daily driver. I guess if you're really into the Apple ecosystem its fine but I host my own content server anyway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My parents have one and boy is that touchpad a poor substitute for a d-pad. The UI seems to really bend over backwards to only need 2 or 3 buttons to work, but in the process kind of proves that "simpler" doesn't always mean simpler.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
But he/she said “miles!” So it’s got to be obvious to y’all, objectively.

Right?

(They mean it feels nice ‘cause it looks Appley, not that crazy Android stuff—familiar. Nothing makes people quite as happy as learning something they already know. You can bank on it.)

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
None of the plex UIs ive used are amazing. The ATV one is slightly better than others, IMO, but it still leaves alot to be desired. A few simple tweaks or allowing the user to customize a just a tiny amount would do wonders to improve the atv UI.

The Standard UI on Roku, Tivo, etc, is crap, IMO.

My favorite UI is still the old atv interface, for what its worth, just because its mostly idiot proof.
https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2009/10/picture-2.png

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have the new Plex style on a few systems, and I think the Apple TV is my favorite UI too. I’d rather they just give it a bit of polish to modernize it rather than change over completely. Always seems a battle to get the content I actually want.

And the Apple remote always splits people, it’s not something that bothers me and you can skim through menus super fast. I wouldn’t want to go through my stupid iTunes library with my Roku remote.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My wife gets around plex on our roku Just Fine and that's all I care about.

Just show my movies and teevee on the screen and I'm good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

None of the plex UIs ive used are amazing. The ATV one is slightly better than others, IMO, but it still leaves alot to be desired. A few simple tweaks or allowing the user to customize a just a tiny amount would do wonders to improve the atv UI.

The Standard UI on Roku, Tivo, etc, is crap, IMO.

My favorite UI is still the old atv interface, for what its worth, just because its mostly idiot proof.
https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2009/10/picture-2.png

Plex Home Theater PC software had the best UI I think, which I think was basically the XBMC UI. I'd recommend OpenPHT to any HTPC users, but it looks like development stopped for that. RIP.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Plex Home Theater PC software had the best UI I think, which I think was basically the XBMC UI. I'd recommend OpenPHT to any HTPC users, but it looks like development stopped for that. RIP.

Yeah I agree with this. PHT was/is great.

And Apple TV Plex is cool and good and my front end of choice now.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

I was using PHT with the dark (or was it night?) skin. It was great. I just quit using a RPi as a standalone device for just plex. Way easier to tell the wife to just use ATV

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I'm having a slightly strange problem with the movie metadata agents. When I try to pull information about a film either automatically or manually from "The Movie Database" it can't find any results regardless of what I put in. The logs don't seem to be showing any errors, it just can't find anything. Additionally, if I use the Plex agent then it will find the film but not pull any information, I assume because it actually tries to pull the info from the movie db anyway.

This has only just started happening in the last week or two. Has anyone else run into this or know if there's a way to reinstall the metadata agent, or am I going to have to reinstall the whole thing?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I noticed mine was being weird too. I was adding external-subs for some films last night, at which point it would completely forget what the film was until I manually matched it again, and even then I had to manually set the poster back. Maybe something in the last update?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ixian posted:

The biggest Shield problem - which affects Plex as well as every other video app - is it won't auto-switch colorspace. It only recently started being able to switch resolutions/frame rates well.

Combined with the fact that it also doesn't map bt.2020 color to 709 and I suspect there are a lot of 4k HDR TV owners out there wondering why 4k HDR looks great but everything else appears flat and color a little washed out. That's because the Shield, when set to auto (default) will pick the highest resolution/colorspace/etc. your display supports, but it won't change color containers based on content. This will give you a fairly crappy looking picture for non 4k HDR sources if you have a nice 4k HDR TV.

Since I am betting most of you play regular 1080p SDR or lower content via Plex it's something to consider. You can manually set the Shield to use rec.709 but then you'll have to set it back if you want to watch 4k HDR (via Netflix, etc. for example). Still if you think the picture for 1080p/lower doesn't look all that great on your 4k TV, try switching the colorspace manually under display/advanced, you'll probably be quite surprised.

Nvidia is aware of the issue so I imagine a fix is coming sooner or later.

Man that is really loving annoying. I just got a Shield because I figured it would be the only no compromise, no hassle replacement for my HTPC. Was wondering why my Fire TV looked better after hooking it up. Hopefully Nvidia gets around to fixing it before I have actual 4k content I want to watch, otherwise I might just go back to my Fire TV

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

WhyteRyce posted:

Man that is really loving annoying. I just got a Shield because I figured it would be the only no compromise, no hassle replacement for my HTPC. Was wondering why my Fire TV looked better after hooking it up. Hopefully Nvidia gets around to fixing it before I have actual 4k content I want to watch, otherwise I might just go back to my Fire TV

Yes, if while playing SDR (i.e. most) content, colors seem washed-out and a little (or a lot) dull to you, that's why. The Shield cannot map bt.2020 to rec.709 colorimetry. The other (and frankly, better) option would be for it to switch color containers based on content, in much the same way it can switch resolutions and frame rates.

There are several posts about it on the Geforce forums, if you can stand wading through the usual internet forum cesspool of humanity. Nvidia has semi-officially acknowledged the problem; when (or if) it gets corrected is anyone's guess. I'm part of the preview program and the latest preview, 6.3, which was released earlier this week doesn't.

If you are using it on a 4k TV but all you watch is SDR than set it to the best resolution/refresh for your display with the rec.709 container (under advanced options in video).

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have an HDHomerun Prime, Plex Server, and an Amazon FireTV stick. 1080i video from the HDHomerun isn't deinterlaced on the FireTV with either the HDHomerun app or Plex. Apparently this is a limitation of MPEG2 video on the FireTV. I can get de-interlaced video if I force Plex to transcode the video, but the highest quality I can select is 4Mbps 720p. If I select any 1080p option (8/12/20Mbps) Plex ignores it and stays on Direct Play. Is there any reason why I can't force Plex to transcode it to high bitrate 1080p?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I got tired of waiting for a $75 lifetime deal, so I signed up for the $30 a year plan (after coupon)...then refunded it 2 hours later.

Basically, the only PlexPass feature I wanted/needed was Live TV and DVR. Here’s the crazy garbage I figured out after paying to access it:

1. The official Kodi Plex plugin, as well as the Plex Windows 10 metro app have no Live TV or DVR features, period. Not totally unexpected, but fine.

2. Plex Media Player for Windows does not have Live TV, but does let you schedule DVR stuff. Only in the "desktop" mode though - if you switch to full screen mode that is compatible with a Harmony remote, forget about the DVR features. That the full app lacks these basic features introduced in June is kind of insane.

3. Plex Web has both DVR and Live TV features. I was ready to bite the bullet and just switch to watching TV in Chrome through Plex Web until I figured out that Plex Web doesn’t support closed captions for Live TV or DVR. Ok, now this is totally off the wall bonkers. I use CC all the time for various reasons, but especially at night when I don’t want to disturb my neighbors.

4. Of course, the iOS app supports DVR, Live TV, and closed captions for both Live and Recorded TV. Why an iOS app is more feature-complete than Plex Web I’m not sure, but there you go.

Luckily the fellows at Plex were good enough to cancel my PlexPass and refund my money when I told them how crazy I thought it was that CCs were not supported on Plex Web. Stupidly, they made no attempt at a concession for me to keep PlexPass, nor did the CSR seem interested in a couple ideas I had for future Plex updates. I think they’ve definitely lost me as a paying customer, for now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hello friend stop using an HTPC, they're dumb

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Hello friend stop using an HTPC, they're dumb

Why would I do that? It runs my Rift and all my PC games also.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So in addition to movies and TV, I use Plex to serve my music library. For the most part it works fine, but I have this issue where some random mp3s have //////////// appended to the Artist/album/song names. Some googling shows that this apparently happens when the files id3 tag is v2.2 ok fine, it's not many files but it's annoying enough that I want to fix it. Does anyone have suggestions for a program that will let me easily convert 2.2 to 2.4? All the information in the tag is correct, I just need to up the version level. Suggestions?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Try puddletag or MP3Tag for batch tagging.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bobfather posted:

Luckily the fellows at Plex were good enough to cancel my PlexPass and refund my money when I told them how crazy I thought it was that CCs were not supported on Plex Web. Stupidly, they made no attempt at a concession for me to keep PlexPass, nor did the CSR seem interested in a couple ideas I had for future Plex updates. I think they’ve definitely lost me as a paying customer, for now.

So wait. A CSR working in subscriptions or billing didn’t care about product features from someone with an incredibly specific use case? And they didn’t offer a retention offer to someone who refunded not due to cost but because the functionality for this use case didn’t exist in the core product?

And this is acting stupidly???

Also, get headphones. They’re amazing in that they keep you from disturbing your neighbors and let you hear sound. Or don’t live in a library and listen at reasonable volumes?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

sellouts posted:

So wait. A CSR working in subscriptions or billing didn’t care about product features from someone with an incredibly specific use case? And they didn’t offer a retention offer to someone who refunded not due to cost but because the functionality for this use case didn’t exist in the core product?

And this is acting stupidly???

Also, get headphones. They’re amazing in that they keep you from disturbing your neighbors and let you hear sound. Or don’t live in a library and listen at reasonable volumes?

It’s more about how PlexPass might have had other features I hadn’t evaluated or grown to love in the 2 hours I tried it, and those features may have gotten them a resub even if they presently lack a critical feature I need.

Also, CC’s aren’t a specific use case. Lots of people use them or even require them because of hearing loss.

I’m merely saying that if the CSR had either 1) offered me something other than a full refund or 2) expressed any care or concern about why I didn’t want PlexPass, Plex may have gotten at least some of my money. Now they get nothing, and probably won’t get anything since now I know they don’t know how to offer feature parity in any of their end products.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bobfather posted:

It’s more about how PlexPass might have had other features I hadn’t evaluated or grown to love in the 2 hours I tried it, and those features may have gotten them a resub even if they presently lack a critical feature I need.

Also, CC’s aren’t a specific use case. Lots of people use them or even require them because of hearing loss.

I’m merely saying that if the CSR had either 1) offered me something other than a full refund or 2) expressed any care or concern about why I didn’t want PlexPass, Plex may have gotten at least some of my money. Now they get nothing, and probably won’t get anything since now I know they don’t know how to offer feature parity in any of their end products.

You sound like a twat. You asked for a refund and you got one in a timely manner. That's a good thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

You sound like a twat. You asked for a refund and you got one in a timely manner. That's a good thing.

Actually they asked for two refunds in two hours and got both. Then complains about the Customer Support of the company.

I actually use a similar experience as part of why I recommend PlexPass. I was a 2 year subscriber having forgotten to get the lifetime before they raised the price. My 3rd year subscription came up, I got it then they had a $75 lifetime for all users for some reason. On the advice of this thread I got it then mailed CS. They refunded my 3rd year subscription, after they already had my lifetime money. They’re good people who know how good CS works.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Imagine having a life so empty that you feel disappointed when a phone rep doesn't give you the run-around when you ask for a refund. I bet this dude looks forward to getting a haircut because it involves being touched by another person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bobfather posted:

Lmao. Plex doesn't care about your stingy rear end. Continue to enjoy using their free software.