Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone try

Slung Blade posted:

I booked my lift install for Monday.

:getin:
Hell. Yes.
So jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Switch just dubbed my shop the Garage Mahal. :lol:

spaaaaaaace

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

spaaaaaaace

Quoting because I like to repeat things that are good.

Also, the way my laptop's monitor is currently set up, the Garage Mahal was wide enough that I had to hunt down the quote button and spear it.

That's not a broken table, that's a better table. Because it is so large, you see.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

spaaaaaaace

This just looks beautiful. I'm speechless.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wish I was doing garage stuff. Instead I am gutting and redoing the entire main floor of my house.

Insurance covered the kitchen, but now I'm redoing everything else to match.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Waterton is almost peaceful...for a couple weeks still. The amount of US plated RVs is still pretty surprising though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Waterton is almost peaceful...for a couple weeks still. The amount of US plated RVs is still pretty surprising though.

What's surprising? The lack of them, or the glut of them?

Also I love Waterton. Specifically the weather, the storms are great entertainment. Also moron tourists getting mauled by the deer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A plethora of them. Probably 3 or 4 to every Canadian plated one, I suppose not entirely surprisingly considering Canada is on sale right now but it's still pretty early in the season. Prince of Wales isn't even open yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

A plethora of them. Probably 3 or 4 to every Canadian plated one, I suppose not entirely surprisingly considering Canada is on sale right now but it's still pretty early in the season. Prince of Wales isn't even open yet.

I remember being in las vegas in 09, driving through the one parkade, it was probably 50% alberta plates.

It'll happen again. oil's back up to $50 a barrel, and trudeau seems to be ok with both energy east and the trans-mountain pipeline. President trump is all for keystone XL. Soon the dollar will be back at par, stuff will still be 50% more expensive here, and there will be a ton of oil money being pissed away. People have really short memories.

Or the housing bubble will pop, the dollar will drop to $0.45 US, and we'll all freeze to death.

Whatever, really

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It'd be cool if China freaked out and started executing people who are smurfing money into the BC real estate market, so I could go buy a handful of fancy places in Victoria and crush them to turn them into a bitchin' parkade slash outdoor garage area.

Seriously the only two things propping up BC real estate is Chinese capital flight and Albertans retiring.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 28, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It'd be cool if China freaked out and started executing people who are smurfing money into the BC real estate market, so I could go buy a handful of fancy places in Victoria and crush them to turn them into a bitchin' parkade slash outdoor garage area.

Seriously the only two things propping up BC real estate is Chinese capital flight and Albertans retiring.

I was looking at moving to victoria a while back, and they actually have a race track there, with an even more bitchin one being built. Western does banger races and figure 8 stuff.

western:

island motorsport circuit.:

http://islandmotorsportcircuit.com/the-tracks/

Buy in is $30,000 a year and $3k in dues,

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm moving stuff into the garage and I bought a Thing.

I haven't decided if it's rad, or too gaudy to live.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Option C: not gaudy enough.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-x60-300mmm-x-1520mm-Chrom-Air-Free-Mirror-Vinyl-Wrap-Film-Sticker-Sheet-Decal-Car/1856992150.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40x100-cm-Car-Change-Color-Vinyl-Fiber-Film-Wood-Grain-Film-Fiber-Vinyl-Wrap-Car-Sticker/32347140549.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Guarantee-100-1-52x30m-self-adhesive-car-sticker-camouflage-vinyl-wrap/32617773279.html

No wrong answers here.

But seriously

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/30-1...2468009875.html

The brushed gold might be cool.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1) That tool box if totally rad.

2) We have 60sqft of the brushed silver vinyl waiting to go on our rally car. We'll let you know how it turns out.

I have no idea what's up with this insomnia lately but it's getting annoying. I did get 2/3 of all the upgrades pulled off my FB today. Weather forecast changed and it looks like I might not get soaked tomorrow which should let me pull the rest. Then I'll have a perfect rally-x candidate for someone. Stock save for exhaust. Which shoots all the flames all the time on throttle lift. Probably going to list it on Kijiji for $2k obo.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Slung Blade posted:

That's hot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I was looking at moving to victoria a while back, and they actually have a race track there, with an even more bitchin one being built. Western does banger races and figure 8 stuff.

western:

island motorsport circuit.:

http://islandmotorsportcircuit.com/the-tracks/

Buy in is $30,000 a year and $3k in dues,
Oh man now I really hope Chinese investment stops.

Should we just move the entire thread to Victoria and start taking over the island inland? They got a lot of bricknose F150s, EG Civics and British roadsters.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

western:

I went to a couple of demolition racing events at Western about 15 years ago when I lived in Victoria. Demolition racing is different from a demolition derby in that the way to win is not to be last car standing, but to rack up the most laps in a set time, or complete a set number of laps in the shortest time. But it's "demolition" because of the hit-to-pass rule: to pass another racer on the track you must make physical contact with them. Sometimes that's a little tap, sometimes it's a full-on T-bone as the leader gets punched around by every rival still moving. Septic-service companies like to sponsor the cars, and that business competition can spill (heh) onto the track in entertaining ways. Watching the STAN'S SEPTIC PUMPING (orange spray paint) Ford pick a fight with the DOUG'S PUMPING AND SERVICE (green spray paint) Chevy is pretty fun, especially when the FABUTAN (hot pink spray paint) Crysler Imperial moves in as a spoiler.

I went with a friend - both of us aged early-20's - and to make things more interesting we bet against each other on each race. Unlike the families and hangers-on filling the seating area, we knew nobody and nothing about anything, so we had no reason to cheer for any particular driver or team. I pick a car, he picks a car, if my car beats his car he owes me $1, if my car actually wins the race he owes me another $1. At the end of the first night I owed my friend about $10. Protip: never bet on cars wearing the number 34 or anything similar to that number. Motherfucker caught fire and burned to the ground after leading the pack for a dozen laps.

McTinkerson posted:

Stock save for exhaust. Which shoots all the flames all the time on throttle lift. Probably going to list it on Kijiji for $2k obo.

God I want this. My GF would murderize me for sure, but all the flames all the time sounds glorious.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

That's an awesome combo and my jealousy continues to increase.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

God I want this. My GF would murderize me for sure, but all the flames all the time sounds glorious.

Do it, put a vacuum cutout muffler on it for wife approval and tug the lever open while wiggling your eyebrows when she gets in the car.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seriously, this.

I was assisting 1500 karting today, was a good time, got a wicked sunburn, and he came within a blonde one of throwing a chain.

Also I moved a couple truckloads of poo poo from garage to garage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yikes. What does the motor side look like?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think it was as bad as that side but I'm probably going to take it apart monday so I'll try to grab a picture before I chuck it. I think based off the vibration that it initially had it pretty much machined itself back into alignment.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Hooooly poo poo. I never want to have to swap the front suspension on a FB ever again. Good thing I pulled the entire "subframe" off of the parts car or else this would have taken way longer than 4 hours.

Ad is now up, if someone was looking to get in to rally-x this is your ticket to Valhalla.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/1985-mazda-rx-7-gs-coupe-2-door/1169471148?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey home havers, how often do you replace your sump pump as a proactive measure? Mine is original but 8 years old now and wondering if I am on borrowed time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I test mine annually. Fill the sump and turn it on. If it isn't making any weird noises during the drainage process, I leave it for another year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do too. My existing one is a big cast iron SOB and I noticed when I tested it last week the inlet bell is starting to show some rust, just concerns me.

I was in Costco when I asked that and they had brand new ones for $45. I Just ended up picking one up anyhow, I'll just keep it in the box next to the sump so I have it ready to go.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Seriously, this.

I was assisting 1500 karting today, was a good time, got a wicked sunburn, and he came within a blonde one of throwing a chain.

Also I moved a couple truckloads of poo poo from garage to garage.

Is there a way to keep the chains lubed during operation? Like a grease bath or something?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chain oilers are banned because they tend to throw oil all over the track if they leak. Wouldn't have helped that situation anyways since that was purely down to a bent gear caused by driver error.

I just use motorcycle chain lube although I'm trying to find something with a less aggressive tackifier in it since I'm at max out there for 12 laps and the stuff I have now is pretty bad for gumming up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waiting in line to drop the BMW off. Some of these guys have a long day ahead of them.

At 10% commission of it goes over $2500, 25% Commission under $2499. Still, under the limit it only needs to do $300 better than it would at Michener to cover the spread. If it hits $2500 I'm up $150.

Gambling is fun.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do it, put a vacuum cutout muffler on it for wife approval and tug the lever open while wiggling your eyebrows when she gets in the car.

This.... this might work.... and if save the first time of the unleashing of the flameballs for an occassion to terrify / amuse her nephew (currently 4 years old) I could probably get away with it.

Sweet Chili Heat's rally / overlanding accessories (caged headlights, roof basket) are very appealing, though. I won't be in Alberta again until late July at the earliest, anyway.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's finally happened.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When is the christening at your place and we all just take turns putting our vehicles on the hoist??

e: Officially at peak jealousy

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

e: Officially at peak jealousy

drat right, loving green with envy. Congratulations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We'll have to do a shakedown meeting for the rally at some point, I'm fine hosting an ai goon camp or something on the same weekend.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
ballin soooooooooooooooo hard

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I hope Atlas doesn't Shrug my Civic obligation :(

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Slung Blade posted:

It's finally happened.

Until that scrolled into view, I had no idea what an 11.5/10 on the jealousy scale felt like...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

It's finally happened.

:perfect:

There's some potentially cheap shop org stuff at michener on friday if you're ready to start equipping that monster.

http://details.maauctions.com/IndlistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=31/5/2016%5Ec2c4a4e7ffbd406282f8db9189b9af56

http://details.maauctions.com/IndlistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=31/5/2016%5E14ed102adbfb4dd29d037d7088e25d17

http://details.maauctions.com/IndlistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=31/5/2016%5E5609ff3201e24d46abcd8fe32a727492

http://details.maauctions.com/IndlistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=31/5/2016%5E4a10d24a10644a9abe1dbe48810b930d

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 1, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey do you ever see hydraulic hose crimpers in auctions? Preferably Gates? I'd be curious what they typically go for.

In other news, it appears that gas stations are shutting down for lack of fuel
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/petro-canada-suncor-gas-stations-run-out-of-gas-1.3614059

I don't know why, but it seems every year now there is a week or two where this happens... either due to "maintenance" or something else in the supply chain.

But nope, don't need another refinery. We need to have our supply/demand so tight gasoline is approaching costs when oil was literally 3x as much and the infrastructure can't withstand a blip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That sounds like sedition, citizen. Are you questioning our Lord and Savior, the saintly oil and gas industry? They paid for this province you know.

Also something about having excess capacity that can fill gaps is the same as being less than 100% efficient and therefore looks bad to stockholders and regulators because math is hard.

It's the same reason wait times are so bad in medical care, having extra capacity means, by definition, being low efficiency which sounds bad to the angry voter. Being "highly efficient" means no ability to deal with spikes, so backlogs just get worse.