Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

What do people recommend for knee pain while descending?

I first noticed this in 2018, read than knee compression sleeves are a solution that works for most people, so I bought a pair and experienced zero pain during training, only to experience pain during my descent from Mt. Rainier. Should I have been pickier with my choice of sleeve? Are there any exercises I can do to deal with this?

As others have mentioned you should make an effort to work on strength, proprioception, stability, and mobility.

If you're looking to drop some cash on a premium sleeve, volleyball players around here swear by the blue and grey Bauerfeind sleeves. I can't speak for them myself but they are very common. My own experience is that having a very thick sock and taking small steps with less lift helps take some edge off of descents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our one Yeti purchase is the 12 oz can coozies which we got right before 16 oz cans took over, so that was a good purchase.

Our main cooler is the blue Coleman one with the wheels and handle and it works well. Keeps stuff cold, holds a lot, indestructible. Our friends have one of the smallest Yeti ones and it is comical how little interior space it has.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks all. I'll go see a doctor. I trained a year and a half going up and down a 12% incline for an hour a day, 7 days a week with a 40 pound backpack, and I expected my body to get build the necessary muscles, but I guess the situation is more complex.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

To be honest, that training regiment sounds like you may have set yourself up for a repetitive strain injury that you are just now discovering. You should definitely rest between days to avoid injuries; remember that “breaking” muscle strands don’t make bigger muscles, it’s the repairing of the broken strands that makes muscles bigger

Morbus
May 18, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

What do people recommend for knee pain while descending?

I first noticed this in 2018, read than knee compression sleeves are a solution that works for most people, so I bought a pair and experienced zero pain during training, only to experience pain during my descent from Mt. Rainier. Should I have been pickier with my choice of sleeve? Are there any exercises I can do to deal with this?

Do you have issues descending normal hikes or was it just coming down Rainier? Mountaineering boots w/ crampons are very stiff with limited ankle mobility, and keeping your points engaged while descending steep snow means often awkward foot positions. A lot of people naturally tend to lock their knees more as a result, and this can cause issues on descent.

If you have issues descending steep routes off snow in your regular shoes/boots, it may be something more general.

But honestly there are so many different things that can cause knee pain your best bet is to see a physical therapist or other Dr.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There's currently a 20% off summer sale at Danner.com for their boots.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Does anyone have a favorite site for generating printable maps with gpx paths? I’m thinking something nice enough that I could take to a print shop and then frame.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

caltopo lets you import gpx tracks. You'd basically be printing a screenshot but they have some nice looking map layers you use.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole qgis is the tool to use because it lets you customize every aspect of your map. If you just want a simple import and print template solution don't bother.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

caltopo lets you import gpx tracks. You'd basically be printing a screenshot but they have some nice looking map layers you use.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole qgis is the tool to use because it lets you customize every aspect of your map. If you just want a simple import and print template solution don't bother.

Caltopo can do pdf exports suitable for printing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Ugh. I forgot I was going to switch from a Gaia GPS sub to CalTopo this year, and re-upped last week.

I like Gaia, just wanted to try something different. I think at the time I was getting into it, was the only good option that showed UTM coordinates in the field.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

As others have mentioned you should make an effort to work on strength, proprioception, stability, and mobility.

I just recently found out about this! Last backpacking trip I was bitching about descents being worse than ascents, and my buddy told me it’s faster and easier to just take a bunch of smaller steps, and you know what? It totally works! Even going uphill, if I start feeling out of breath I just started shortening my steps so I was making continuous progress, and resumed larger steps when I got my wind back

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also look up the "rest step" if you don't already know what that is.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Also look up the "rest step" if you don't already know what that is.

yeah... but also be aware of when this appropriate. i did a meetup backpacking trip with a Dedicated Acolyte of the rest step and it was infuriating being behind them because they did it All The Time, even on gentle inclines. ended up just taking a lot more breaks (something i should do anyway for several reasons) and had a great time, but please be conscious of others who might be behind you.

e: this was a dude about my middle age who claimed to trail run marathon poo poo. we were doing sub-10 mile days :psyduck:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gonna do some car camping at Palomar Mountain Observatory campground in a couple weeks. Are Thermacells legit? What about those mosquito bracelets?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FogHelmut posted:

Gonna do some car camping at Palomar Mountain Observatory campground in a couple weeks. Are Thermacells legit? What about those mosquito bracelets?

I have two thermacells and they definitely work. If the bugs are really bad they'll still be around, but it makes a difference. It works best if the winds are calm, and you have to turn it on like 10 minutes ahead of time. Generally I use them along with bug spray anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I'm happy to bathe myself in 100% DEET, but looking for some other options for the baby.

The battery powered Thermacell seems to last the longest without refilling, but reviews seem to indicate it bricks if the battery runs fully dead - like if you place it in storage for the winter.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've only ever used the butane ones.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermacell’s are fine but they’re basically just pic’s

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

A few years ago, I walked past a woman making a statement to a police officer in a Walmart because someone had stolen her Yeti tumbler out of her cart (as in, she'd brought it into the store and was drinking out of it)

lmao I’d like to imagine some idiot fucker carried the yeti up to the register and tried to pay for it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pic coils are more of a fire risk and I think the thermacell does a better job aerosolizing the repellent, you can run a single unit and chill out in the radius but coils require building a perimeter. The coils are way cheaper though. And the thermacells produce a lot more garbage.

Both are useless if there's any kind of a breeze (but mosquitos can't do their thing in wind so there's a point where you don't need repellant).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive had pretty good luck with that Picardin lotion as an alternative to deet sprays. Its worked for me along some premithrin treated clothes to the point that I dont even bring bug spray anymore.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Depending on the style of camping you do, The Original Bug Shirt and a shelter like the Eureka No Bug Zone are really the way to go.

I take both canoe camping. Wear the bug shirt for portages, and set up the shelter at camp. Northern Ontario bugs are no loving joke so I can attest to their effectiveness. They've really reduced my deet consumption, that's for sure.

My thermacell has been relegated to home use as it can't quite stand up to "breathing, eating, drinking mosquitos" level poo poo. I think it works okay but 90 percent less mosquitos is still enough to bite the gently caress out of you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a 10x10 canopy and was looking for add-on mesh walls, but they don't seem to exist. I don't really want to buy a whole new unit. The reviews for this campground seem to say that there are a particularly large amount of mosquitoes. I mean I live in SoCal and I've gotten five mosquito bites in the last 5 years at my house. But I guess there is a stagnant stream running through this campsite.

I grew up in the humid summers of NJ, and spent a few years working in the pine barrens as a paintball referee. I'm not unfamiliar with the mosquitos. Working that job, literally crawling through the brush, the daily regimen was a head to toe application of Deet spray.

The worst I've ever encountered was Chincoteague Island. The mosquitos are aggressive like packs of wolves - literally chased me down a trail. Noseeums gathered in swarms.

From the reviews, I'm imagining that kind of situation. I'm sure it's not that bad. I just don't need a baby covered in bites.

I'm going to check out the Picardin and see what I can treat with permethrin. On the fence still with the Thermacell vs a bunch of mosquito coils.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Okay so in that kind of "clouds of mosquitoes" territory, the thermacell will not be sufficient. You really, really need a netted enclosure in those conditions in my experience.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Separate topic- Is an America the Beautiful pass good for places that require an Adventure Pass? Or do I need the Adventure Pass?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

FogHelmut posted:

Separate topic- Is an America the Beautiful pass good for places that require an Adventure Pass? Or do I need the Adventure Pass?

I'm under the impression that the american the beautiful pass is THE pass for all federal lands. National parks, national forests etc, national wildlife areas, BLM land etc, national monuments etc.

I have two passes, my washington state land pass (Discover) and my national pass (America the beautiful) and I have yet to find a place that needed anything else. There are other passes for national that might be cheaper but limited in what they cover.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Adventure Pass is apparently the regional pass for NFS land in Southern California. It is therefore covered by the America the Beautiful Pass.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, there’s a brief FAQ here

quote:

Who will need to purchase a National Forest Adventure Pass?
This is a pass to use designated sites and areas of the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests. Visitors to these four forests will be required to display the Pass in their vehicles when using the Forest for recreation purpose. The Adventure Pass is not a national pass like the America the Beautiful Interagency Passes. It is a local regional pass, required only on the four forests listed above. America the Beautiful Interagency Passes are also accepted at all locations where the Adventure Pass is required. Go to the page links below to view a map of the Sites & Areas that require a recreation fee. This map includes additional links to maps and vendors sales outlets.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Thermacell chat:

Do notice that Thermacell uses prallethrin, which is very toxic to both fish and bees. I'd consider other options first.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They really try to hide the fact that the active ingredient is an insecticide. You'd think it was electromagnetic fields or something if you just went by the advertising.

That's fine -- I use similar organic insecticides in my garden (in more direct & specific applications) -- but it doesn't seem very LNT.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Thread, do you have any wisdom to share about cheap beach sun shade tents? I’d hate to buy something and replace it after one trip because I didn’t ask first.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
A good tarp will shade you from the sun just as well, while being cheaper, lighter and capable of performing a number of other functions. So my advice is not to buy one at all.

That is, unless there are no trees in your intended location or near enough that you can go collect some big sticks. In that case I support you buying one, but I cannot offer any recommendations 🙂

Edit: my dumb brain completely skipped over the word "beach". Sorry :negative:

Math You fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 30, 2021

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Steely Dad posted:

Thread, do you have any wisdom to share about cheap beach sun shade tents? I’d hate to buy something and replace it after one trip because I didn’t ask first.

I usually see a lot of bog-standard four-legged shades, but this year at the beach I frequent there were a ton of these: https://shibumishade.com/. It’s an… interesting concept, but I noticed that they flap in the wind by design. It’s not terribly bad on it’s own, but with a handful of them in close quarters the noise is a little aggravating IMO. They’re also shockingly expensive. The guys who invented it are from the beach I go to so I’m guessing they got in with the local rental company to get a bunch of them out there.

My personal go-to is just a beach umbrella, but I’m guessing you’re trying to cover more people and things than that.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Can’t rely on trees being handy, so a tarp doesn’t work for me, unfortunately.

I’m thinking of one of these: https://shop.sportsbasement.com/products/cabana-1

Seems to be well reviewed and with two kids to take to parks and beaches, I expect I’ll cart it around in my trunk all the time. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some clear favorite thing for this, and it sounds like there isn’t.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

Can’t rely on trees being handy, so a tarp doesn’t work for me, unfortunately.

I’m thinking of one of these: https://shop.sportsbasement.com/products/cabana-1

Seems to be well reviewed and with two kids to take to parks and beaches, I expect I’ll cart it around in my trunk all the time. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some clear favorite thing for this, and it sounds like there isn’t.

I bought the one that Costco sells for about $35 about 4 years ago. It still works and it's in good condition. I like the design of that one you linked better. There is not enough ventilation in mine - even with the whole front half of it open the breeze cannot pass through.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I prefer a sportbrella. I had a pop up half tent. It isn't deep enough to sit in there with a chair while still getting good shade, it get's hot if it's a hot day. The black bottom tarp bit get's super hot for little ones feet. You need to get one that has a bit of an awning over and isn't just half a tent.

The sportbrella https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella...la-940328872687

is easier to setup and take down, packs thinner since it's just one pole. Has a similar footprint and coverage when it is used as a wind block. Can be used as an umbrella overhead on hot, no wind days for more ventilation. No hot black tarp to burn little feet on. Kids can still play in the sand while all the way in the shade.

They're both good though.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Seconding the Sportbrella. My wife uses one all the time in the summer and it doesn't show much wear and tear despite being a couple years old at this point. The carry bag strap came loose at some point, but she sewed it back on and it's been fine since.

I feel like she may have swapped the included stakes out, but she's a burner, so she's suspicious of tent stakes that aren't rebar...

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone tried the New Balance 880 with goretex? the normal 880 is the best drat shoe i’ve ever worn, so i’m looking for something similar on rainy days

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Going back to bug repellent: I've had decent success with the picardin, but a friend of mine swears by tea tree oil and lemon eucalyptus oil as a "natural" mosquito repellent. Anyone have experience with these, or is it it's just a bunch of stuff that'll make you smell nicer than deet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/essential-oils-terrible-bug-repellents/