Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

All of the intended Blue Mages should be given blue magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

eelmonger posted:

Even on a turd like Kimahri, elemental radiant shields are really handy, especially if you have a chain. I use it against both 5* fire magicites.

Attestant posted:

Kimahri USB is an amazing silver bullet for one of the 5* fire magicite if you have a chain to go with it. You can radiant shield tank the fight to a pretty silly degree.

I'll keep this in mind if I ever feel like doing all the 4* Magicites first. Good to know, though!

edit: decided to finally try Marilis. Well, ok then.

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 17, 2018

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
That's making me want to try Maliris, even though frankly my water damage output is pretty questionable and it's not like Kimahri is actually contributing otherwise.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

S.D. posted:

That's making me want to try Maliris, even though frankly my water damage output is pretty questionable and it's not like Kimahri is actually contributing otherwise.

Maliris is more about survival than damage, honestly, and that's where abusing Radiant Shield strategies works best. If you've got his USB, go in with two or even three healers and jank it; you should be able to clear even if your time isn't the greatest.

Just be warned you'll eat a lot of damage in the meantime because she drops you to 6 imperil stacks super quick and that means her RES-ignoring stuff will do 5-6k damage AoE.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I've been trying to get a physical holy team ready for the 3* shadow dragon magicite for a while now, but I'm working from scratch with some of the most basic-rear end SBs. I'm hoping to maybe get something good from RoP or any of the fest draws, but as it is, it's mostly just BSBs. Mind if I get some feedback in the meantime on some stuff I could do or what not?

As it is, my team is:

Warrior of Light, OSB, with Divine Cross and Guardbringer, Lionheart RM
Pecil, BSB1, with Assault Saber and I dunno what else, enHoly LMR, not sure yet on the RM
Agrias, BSB, with Assault Saber and I dunno what else, Mako Might RM
Ramza, Shout, entrustbotting, Dr Mog's Teaching RM
Aerith, USB2, and the usual healer stuff

I'm 4* diving the three DPS characters, WoL is going to be throwing out OSBs as often as possible, while Agrias is there for holy imperil.

For what it's worth, as far as other characters with SBs I have goes, I've got Warrior of Light's Ultimate Shield BSB, Agrias' enHoly SSB and OSB, and Beatrix's BSB1. Is there anything I should do differently or change, or just pray for something better in a future draw?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
they need to make blue mages, but only include crowd-favourites like Step-Mine, Goblin Punch, and Rippler.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

XavierGenisi posted:

I've been trying to get a physical holy team ready for the 3* shadow dragon magicite for a while now, but I'm working from scratch with some of the most basic-rear end SBs. I'm hoping to maybe get something good from RoP or any of the fest draws, but as it is, it's mostly just BSBs.

For my first Shadow Dragon clear, all my damage was from a 4* dived Cid Raines with BSB/OSB, with whoever was left alive just entrusting to him and the healer. So I figure BSB/OSB damage is fine. From what I recall, I spent most of my time gameplanning around how to deal with the Black Fang attack where he auto-kills somebody on the team. What do you plan to do for that?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

I guess I don’t know what to do other than just attempt to continue dealing damage and hope for the best. I could replace Aerith with Yuna for her USB1?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Have you tried going through it yet? I think the Enholy LMR on Pecil in particular should make getting past the first Black Fang considerably easier. It's roughly a bit more then 100k you need to deal in about 10 seconds? You could even potentially drop Proshellga on Aerith and just go with Madeen or De-dia to squeeze extra damage out (and build SB faster to that USB).

And if it doesn't, you can always just sacrifice Ramza. Make Ramza go Shout -> Wrath -> Entrust, and then make Aerith bonk him once and that should ensure he'll be the one at the lowest HP and will die. Been a while since I did Shadow Dragon though so I could be misremembering a step in the AI.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
IX: Garnet BSB dupe (6* lightning staff is quite cool though)
VIII: Edea BSB dupe (this is a Rosetta stone)

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
Been playing a few months now. Struggling to get through the last few Nightmares. My physical wind team has pretty good stuff including Zack's chain allowing me to just brute force most of them except the summon/white magic ones

Guardian is especially annoying, I have no decent offensive white magic SB's, tried honing a bunch of the 4* white magic attack but still just running out of resources when it's around 1/3rd health left. It's been fun using buff-build bars-unleash hell in 100% of fights so far but i guess it's time to start reading all those words they wrote about the monsters :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if it's the one i'm thinking of you can just break it over your knee using ninja magic. especially now that they've added multi-hit ones.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cowcaster posted:

if it's the one i'm thinking of you can just break it over your knee using ninja magic. especially now that they've added multi-hit ones.

This, I abused yuffie/edge to absolutely murder the white magic one, just bring those 2, someone with buffs and 2 healers, you'll kill the poo poo out of it.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
I think it counters Ninja attacks? I guess it's not like i'm not short of healing if it does damage though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the loophole is that it doesn't, although it has been many moons since i actually went through and did it so i'm not sure. the main method of action is ninja magics ignore resistance so they pierce right through the inflated defenses the boss has been given.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It counters ninja magic like nearly everything else, but you're doing it more for the fact that the Guardian has comically low health for a Nightmare. IIRC it's less than 150K, since you were originally supposed to follow the gimmick (which wasn't as bad as some people claim) and that gimmick involved redirecting the boss's own scripted 9999 blasts on itself.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Guardian's counters are fire element so you can wear fire resist accessories, if you have them, to help deal with the counters.

Guardian doesn't counter Summons, which also extends to Bursts with Summon-typed commands. I used Alphinaud BSB as RW to beat Guardian; other options are Meia, Rydia 1 (cmd1 is single target, cmd2 is aoe) and 2, and Braska.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You can also hone up Valefor and/or Bahamut to do it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought Evrae was the one you could cheese with Ninja magic, because they can ignore RES.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought Evrae was the one you could cheese with Ninja magic, because they can ignore RES.

I'm going to give this a shot since and let you know.

EDIT: Welp, the ninja skill I just wasted my resources on turned out to just do physical damage so it missed. :geno:

Anybody got a RW to do it for me instead? :v:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 18, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I keep hearing that Yuffi is :black101:. I want to try her out, but I'm, like, 99% certain I don't have the SBs I need... I currently own her SSB1 and BSB1.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Yuffie wants her USB above everything else and maybe her LMR. Everything else is optional, though the ASB obviously helps.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Yuffie wants her USB above everything else and maybe her LMR. Everything else is optional, though the ASB obviously helps.

Yeah, I thought I was lacking. I'll just keep hoping that I eventually get it. :downs:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

edge/yuffie/shadow (maybe thancred too?) can be extremely strong without any SBs, especially if you have 5* motes to full dive them.

Their dive is double cast ninja, so you get 2 mirror image stacks from say Reflecting Pool (often from a single use) and then you drop the big 7 hit Raging Waters which can/will doublecast for 14 hits. Yuffie can chase that with 8 hits from her USB, and edge USB can do a 2 hit max chase.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So that sounds like I need to get Edge's USB as well. I only have his BSB1.

MF_James posted:

full dive them.

I take it this means getting everything except for the Job Mote stuff? Like, I have everything unlocked for Locke except the things that require the Thief motes, so that mean's he's fully dived?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

So that sounds like I need to get Edge's USB as well. I only have his BSB1.

I take it this means getting everything except for the Job Mote stuff? Like, I have everything unlocked for Locke except the things that require the Thief motes, so that mean's he's fully dived?

Edge's USB is.. ok? 2-hit chase isn't anything super awesome, it does have a high potency so generally will hit for 9999x2; obviously any extra damage is welcomed but edge is super good without his USB, just make sure you equip him with katanas for that 9% dmg boost from his dive.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

MF_James posted:

Edge's USB is.. ok? 2-hit chase isn't anything super awesome, it does have a high potency so generally will hit for 9999x2; obviously any extra damage is welcomed but edge is super good without his USB, just make sure you equip him with katanas for that 9% dmg boost from his dive.

Related 'hot' tip for when we get the Old poo poo Lenses six months from now - one of Edge's old Unique relics is a water boost katana.

I've had Edge's USB for a while and it's certainly not bad, but most of the time I find it more expedient for him to just keep riding that washing machine into the sunset.

VIII: Seifer BSB...3? I think the one with the weird radiant shield command was 2, and this is a newer one. Seems not completely awful? It'd be nice if I got his chain someday.
VII: Aerith USB2. I have Ellara USB1 so this is slightly redundant but it's still probably one of the top 5 healing USBs in the game so I'm not complaining. Also my first actually good healing SB in the realm :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Seifer only has 2 bsbs, i think. Weird radiant was 1, his second is dark radiant on entry?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

X: Lulu LMR
IX: Zidane BSB1
VIII: Squall BSB2 (dupe)
VII: Yuffie USB2

I'm surprised it took me this long to get something that rose above "meh". Usually I've done better with RoP.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
VIII and VII were Raijin LMR and Elena BSB respectively. So someone I don't have anything else for, and one of the five six? people left without a legend dive. Not great.

(Did Global ever give Kimahri his LD?)

0 - Seven BSB
Tactics - Marach BSB
XV - Ignis LMR
XIV - Yda BSB
XIII - Noel BSB3, Fang BSB2 (dupe)
XII - Vayne USB
XI - Aphmau BSB (dupe)
X - Braska BSB
IX - Kuja USB
VIII - Raijin LMR
VII - Elena BSB

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

pichupal posted:

Have you tried going through it yet? I think the Enholy LMR on Pecil in particular should make getting past the first Black Fang considerably easier. It's roughly a bit more then 100k you need to deal in about 10 seconds? You could even potentially drop Proshellga on Aerith and just go with Madeen or De-dia to squeeze extra damage out (and build SB faster to that USB).

And if it doesn't, you can always just sacrifice Ramza. Make Ramza go Shout -> Wrath -> Entrust, and then make Aerith bonk him once and that should ensure he'll be the one at the lowest HP and will die. Been a while since I did Shadow Dragon though so I could be misremembering a step in the AI.

I actually haven't yet, since I'm still working on grinding orbs (rank 3 on divine cross and guardbringer, which I can work with, but only rank 2 on both assault sabers) and EXP (Pecil is level 88, Agrias is level 78). But when I get around to at least getting Agrias to a higher level, I can give those strategies a shot, thanks.

meanwhile, hoofah, it feels like RoP hasn't been treating me too well this time around.

Type 0: Ace enFire LMR
FFT: Agrias OSB
XV: Gladio OSB (dupe)
XIV: Minfilia USB
XIII: Fang BSB2
XII: Penelo BSB2
XI: Shantotto LMR1 (dupe)
X: Rikku LMR1
IX: Kuja BSB1 (dupe)
VIII: Squall USB1
VII: Cloud BSB1

Some okay stuff, but X, VIII, and VII were complete duds on top of three dupes from other realms. VI, III, and II, I can give or take, but I hope V, IV. and I end up with some decent pulls by the time this is over.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Naw, ninja magic owns Guardian, not Evrae.

The best thing for Evrae are the (oft-maligned, because the entry is pretty useless on most content now) White Mage BSBs with entry damage like Minwu, Aeris, Relm, and Rosa's first ones. The entries will deal lots of damage without breaking mastery conditions, and the BSB commands will cut down on all the healing and Dia hones you might otherwise have to do.

Anybody having trouble with the fight should look for relics like that in their stash.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

pichupal posted:

(Did Global ever give Kimahri his LD?)

*checks* nope!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VII pull got me Sephiroth BSB1

Can I cheese something with it's DEF ignoring CMD1? Otherwise it seems bad.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Also not having the best RoP, Vayne USB is really the only thing to write home about so far:

0: Rem LMR (the 1 hit chase one)
T: Marche BSB (dupe)
15: Noctis OSB (dupe)
14: Minfilia BSB1
13: Hope BSB2 (dupe)
12: Vayne USB
11: Curilia BSB
10: Lulu BSB: poo poo BSB, but I'll take ice+ armor
9: Quina LMR: I get that synergizes with it's dive, but I don't see that happening
8: Fujin Glint: +10 mag I guess
7: Vincent BSB2: Fire Radiant Shield! But no fire chain to use it with...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

RoP has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me so far. My 6* rate has been pretty ridiculous, but a solid half of those have been dupes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cattail Prophet posted:

RoP has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me so far. My 6* rate has been pretty ridiculous, but a solid half of those have been dupes.

Yeah, I've had a real slew of "bad" disco pulls, including my FOURTH (!) Marche USB

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

^^^ Yup, dupe Y'shtola USB and Raines OSB for me. Today was good if slightly redundant. Sadly VI-I don't have a lot in elements I could use a boost in past water magic in VI (and we're getting a really good banner with plenty of that on it soon anyway) so I doubt I'll get anything groundbreaking, but who knows, maybe I'll finally get Terra USB1 tomorrow.

Nihilarian posted:

Seifer only has 2 bsbs, i think. Weird radiant was 1, his second is dark radiant on entry?

I could have sworn he had a super lovely boring one before he got the weird stacking radiant one, but after checking, nope, not the case. BSB2, then.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

edit: I guess I hit the post button twice or something, nothing to see here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yuffie USB1. Not quite USB2 but it’s better than the Squall LMR dupe from yesterday!