Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I know there's a really good player named Yaya Toure and that's about it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I will join the Super Premiership as long as I'm allowed to change my formation every match :v:

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

what would you be running this in anyways? I'd assume FM, but who knows

also I'd totally be in

FM2012 because a) I already covered a lot of the database modding work last time. b) It has less off the pitch bullshit to deal with and c) I have like 400 hours in it so I can work out kinks as they show. Also, this time, instead of a player draft, I'm coming up with a team buy system á la SL, so bear with me whilst I type up 75 or so short team reviews so you guys don't have to do too much prep work.

Edit: I sorted based on team reputation, so there will be some dark horses in there...

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Are we picking historical players? Or are we just picking modern teams?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

tatankatonk posted:

Are we picking historical players? Or are we just picking modern teams?

Just picking teams atm, though if people want me to add in some specific players I may be tempted to do them (though it would be at an "x per team" basis obviously)

Anyways, here's the (provisional) teams list, I'm still rooting around in the database for balance issues

This is being simmed in FM2012, so these teams are the 2011 vintage

6 points to spend each

5 point
Barcelona - Strengths: Formidable attack, focussed around Messi, arguably the best player in the world. Weaknesses: A focus on attack can lead to gaps in defence
Real Madrid - Strengths: Formidable attack, focussed around Ronaldo, arguably the best player in the world Weaknesses: Can be caught out on the counter-attack
Manchester United - Strengths: Well-disciplined and experienced throughout the team Weaknesses: Ageing team, some players passing their peak.
MLS All-Stars (Not a historic team, but a curious one, methinks) - Strengths: The best players in the MLS Weaknesses: The best players in the MLS are usually about a year from retirement at this point.

4 point
Chelsea - Strengths: Strong defence, Good offence Weaknesses: No real great players, ageing defence and strikeforce
FC Bayern - Strengths: Great midfield and goalkeeper Weaknesses: Lack a truly great defence
Inter Milan - Strengths: Solid in all areas Weaknesses: Old
A.C. Milan - Strengths: Solid in all areas Weaknesses: Old
Juventus - Strengths: Solid in all areas Weaknesses: Old (This is a pattern with Italian teams)
Manchester City - Strengths: Very good defence and midfield Weaknesses: Less good strikeforce
Porto - Strengths: Good midfield Weaknesses: Mediocre defence
Arsenal - Strengths: Good offence Weaknesses: So-so defence
Roma - Strengths: Solid in all areas Weaknesses: Old
Liverpool - Strengths: Good defence and midfield Weaknesses: Mediocre strikeforce

3 point
SLB (Benfica)
O. Lyon
Valencia
At. Madrid
Sporting Lisbon
Schalke
Paris Saint-Germain
Olympic Marseilles
Dortmund
Napoli
Internacional
Tottenham

2 point
Werder Bremen
Zenit St. Petersberg
Sevilla
Santos
Leverkusen
Fiorentina
Fluminese
Shakhtar Donetsk
CSKA Moscow
Stuttgart
Málaga
HSV
Vasco
Fenerbahche
Villareal
Ajax
Wolfsburg
PSV
Lazio

1 point
Corinthians
Sao Paulo
Boca
Rubin
Palermo
Spartak Moscow
Dinamo Moscow
Chivas Mexico
Gremio
Flamengo
Galatasaray
Besiktas
Athletic Bilbao
América (MEX)
Dynamo Kyiv
Braga
Genoa
Olympiakos
LOSC Lille
Palmeiras
Espanyol
Lokomotiv Moscow
Cruz Azul
Udinese
Metalist
Getafe
Pumas
FC Twente
Prague
Cruzeiro

ForeverBWFC fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 7, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So just to note, we're not picking teams yet, right? You're still fiddling with things. Just wanted that to be clarified so people don't start going nuts.

Also, add Eintracht Frankfurt please. I need to pick them.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Is there, like, a soccer reference dot com or any way to figure out who is on these teams and whether they're any good?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Mornacale posted:

Is there, like, a soccer reference dot com or any way to figure out who is on these teams and whether they're any good?

This is why I'm messing about with things and drawing up summaries. Because I'm not aware of one and sabremetrics don't really apply here...

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
McFreeze here is my Gauntlet CSV, really the only thing that matters is the ordering of the Roy Halladays:

pre:
downibr01,1977
piazzmi01,1999
thomafr04,1992
collied01,1913
santoro01,1965
killeha01,1965
bankser01,1955
mcgrajo01,1902
flickel01,1903
ramirma02,2008
hermaba01,1928
cobbty01,1919
mayswi01,1954
guerrvl01,2002

planked01,1913
ryanno01,1978
ryanno01,1977
blylebe01,1985
hallaro01,2013
hernafe02,2008
hallaro01,2003
woodwi01,1977
smithle02,1992
riverma01,2002
romose01,2012

schanwa01,1913
schoere01,1948
bakerfr01,1913
slaugen01,1948
butlebr01,1987
cartejo01,1987
pennohe01,1913
brechha01,1944
blylebe01,1984
jonesdo01,1987
chambjo03,2010
chambjo03,2011

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I'm currently paging around and making a shortlist of teams I would find interesting, and even constraining myself to the Bundesliga teams, there is very little information beyond goalscorers and poo poo. This is where you'll just have to take a shot in the dark with the information you get. Whatever ForeverBWFC writes up will probably be your best bet.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Mornacale posted:

They are actually working on one, the only problem is that there are approximately 420,000 teams all over the world.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Can I pretend to be Dubai and buy all my players?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

kw0134 posted:

Can I pretend to be Dubai and buy all my players?

I did a player draft last time. It was horrendously time-consuming and, outside of like 10 names, no one knew who anyone was anyway!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Added quick and dirty summaries for the 4 and 5 point teams, need to sleep before I do the others (if you're planning on building a squad with 1 and 2 point teams, you're more interested in combing through for good individuals anyway, I assume)

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Are we waiting for you to wave the checkered flag before we start picking, or are we starting right now?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think picking is going to happen tomorrow after we have some idea what the lower cost teams strengths/weaknesses are

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tatankatonk posted:

Are we waiting for you to wave the checkered flag before we start picking, or are we starting right now?

I would assume the latter FORMER. I could pick right now, but I'd figure there should be at least some time to give everybody that information baseline.

EDIT: God damnit read before you reply you idiot

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2015

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I may just pick my team based on which team names amuse me the most.

e: Is the team called Pumas actually comprised of a bunch of pumas? If not, could I please pick a team consisting of 12 pumas?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 7, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Mornacale posted:

I may just pick my team based on which team names amuse me the most.

e: Is the team called Pumas actually comprised of a bunch of pumas? If not, could I please pick a team consisting of 12 pumas?

You'd be really easy to counter. just send out a bunch of stiffs, then once all of your pumas have been ejected with red cards 3 minutes later, sub your real players in

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

actually one more question to check, is this getting run with the roster update or not?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Didn't my team dominate the Super Premiership? And the Super Basketball league we had? Maybe baseball just isn't my thing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tatankatonk posted:

You'd be really easy to counter. just send out a bunch of stiffs, then once all of your pumas have been ejected with red cards 3 minutes later, sub your real players in

You think my team would employ a puma that was only capable of mauling one enemy at a time? Pish tosh, I saw.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Refs can't give players red cards if they're being mauled

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
:siren: McFreeze I just realized another dumb thing, please make Brian Downing the personal C of whoever ends up as my SP4.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Someone help me make a team that is as boring as possible and also that is full of as many hated people as possible

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

rabidsquid posted:

a team that is as boring as possible

thats my gimmick step off bub

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
excuse you, that's kw's gimmick

---

also, oldskool, what happened to your 2010 Felix Hernandez? He threw 6.2 innings for you in SLXVI, but I can't find him on your roster this season or on the trade spreadsheet. What kinda lottery ticket would you be looking for for him, assuming you still have his rights?

Just for ease, assuming you sent him back to your feeders or "cut" him or w/e because you don't value him, I'll go ahead and offer:

Florida Oranges get any player off Genoa Janus feeders
Genoa Janus get 2010 Felix Hernandez

e: Alternately, I'd love to talk to you about a deal centered on my Ty Cobb + something (maybe a 3B?) for your Tris Speaker + Felix.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 7, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

tatankatonk posted:

You only get three subs a game. Which will still be okay if all the pumas are gone, but still.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mornacale posted:

hey that's totally...yeah, that's accurate never mind

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

ForeverBWFC posted:

FM2012 because a) I already covered a lot of the database modding work last time. b) It has less off the pitch bullshit to deal with and c) I have like 400 hours in it so I can work out kinks as they show. Also, this time, instead of a player draft, I'm coming up with a team buy system á la SL, so bear with me whilst I type up 75 or so short team reviews so you guys don't have to do too much prep work.

Edit: I sorted based on team reputation, so there will be some dark horses in there...

The only suggestion I would make is to break the squads of the megabastard teams into components. Barcelona for 5 points is an incredibly cheap cost: Barcelona's Attack for 5 (forwards and AMs), Midfield for 3 and defence for 2 would be fairer. I think whoever gets Barcelona would only really be competing against whoever gets Real Madrid.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Milt Thompson posted:

The only suggestion I would make is to break the squads of the megabastard teams into components. Barcelona for 5 points is an incredibly cheap cost: Barcelona's Attack for 5 (forwards and AMs), Midfield for 3 and defence for 2 would be fairer. I think whoever gets Barcelona would only really be competing against whoever gets Real Madrid.

I would like to absolutely second this motion. The talent disparity in soccer football is so wide that combing through ten points of minor teams probably still won't be able to add up to one Barcelona.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

If you want to trade with the Flying Dukaki, here is my team, will consider all reasonable offers.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 7, 2015

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I'd join the Premiership again as well but as Milt said, 5 points for getting basically the Midfield and Attack of Barcelona will run havoc on things. and even their defense isn't horrible either. the main problem is that depth is not quite as improtant unless we simulate all 3 contests because changes don't happen as often in football. But hey maybe I'm wrong.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

You have to change the permissions so anyone with the link can access it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pash posted:

You have to change the permissions so anyone with the link can access it.

Fixed.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

What would you want for baby Walter Johnson?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mornacale posted:

---

also, oldskool, what happened to your 2010 Felix Hernandez? He threw 6.2 innings for you in SLXVI, but I can't find him on your roster this season or on the trade spreadsheet. What kinda lottery ticket would you be looking for for him, assuming you still have his rights?

Just for ease, assuming you sent him back to your feeders or "cut" him or w/e because you don't value him, I'll go ahead and offer:

Florida Oranges get any player off Genoa Janus feeders
Genoa Janus get 2010 Felix Hernandez

e: Alternately, I'd love to talk to you about a deal centered on my Ty Cobb + something (maybe a 3B?) for your Tris Speaker + Felix.

I'm going to assume I've traded Felix away, since that's usually what happens when I can't find a player I think I have and try to trade him, and I love my Tris Speaker.

What's the price on Walter Johnson?

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 7, 2015

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

What's the price tag on Barry Bonds?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That Torre would be a better backup than Fisk, probably. What are you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FairGame posted:

That Torre would be a better backup than Fisk, probably. What are you looking for?

An upgrade at 3B or 2B.