Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Democratic Pirate posted:

The nurses got my girl an Elsa doll since it’s her birthday weekend. Very sweet gesture, but now we have to figure out what to do with the exact same doll sitting in our Christmas hiding closet at home. Really thought we were avoiding the holiday shopping crowds this year.

Rotate out every so often so both wear at the same rate and last longer/have a backup for a lost doll without the problem of "the wrong Elsa"?

Today was a no nap day for the 21 month old and we're all suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"What happens if you draw on the piano with a sharpie? You get a SHARP E!"

Love it

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Sounds like he’s in control of his bowel movements and he is within the age bracket. Time for potty training?

(Wouldn’t solve your morning problem but could get him to poop on the potty and just call for help wiping, which I’d prefer at 6 AM)

Yeah, we thought so too, but I posted last week about how it didn't take so we'll try again later. He led an attempt again this weekend but was still resistant to trying to poop in the toilet. Baby steps!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mom: is WFH on an important conference call
Kiddo: I want to see Mommy I WANT TO SEE MOMMY *SCREAMS*
Mommy: ok I stepped away from my call hello, hugs
Kiddo: *SCREAMS*
Kiddo: *SCREAMS in the car with Daddy all the way to daycare*

:psyduck::hf::smithicide:

Great way to start my morning

Like literally just 0-60 calm child to SCREAM this morning. loving goddamn.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My 4 year old, the master of bizarre phases, is currently refusing to allow us to throw anything in the garbage. String cheese wrappers, random bits of fuzz, whatever he comes across must be saved. Somewhere in the house I have a pair of spent AA batteries just floating around and I have no doubt that's going to bite me in the rear end. I'm sure we've all hidden something in the garbage at some point in our lives but hiding cellophane in the garbage from a child is a new one to me.

Grandma bought him a few toys, and the boxes and wrappers ended up in a pile near the kitchen table. I went to throw them out he freaked the gently caress out. Since we're in baby survival mode, we just kind of left the boxes there for a bit. Wife rage cleaned the house today so I'm interested to see what happens when he finds out his precious pile of garbage gone.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah my son was insistent that an empty tissue box was a required part of his naptime object collection. I did not give in, so he went to sleep pissed off

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I currently have half of a dried up, shriveled string cheese in my fridge that he insisted we not throw out and I'm debating how much of a teachable moment I want this to be.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My 7 year old had a complete meltdown last night when I without really thinking about it broke down a big box we’d received. She had already concocted in her head that she was going to make a fairy house out of it which would live in our livingroom.

We already have a fairy house that lives in our livingroom that she made out of a big box several months ago. This wouldn’t have replaced that one; she wanted them to be neighbors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A troublesome development.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We’re on day 4 of a bandaid for his Covid vaccine. He has refused to let me remove it. He wants his 3 year old friend to take it off. I told him I doubt that kid is willing or capable of removing it.

He promised he would let me take it off today. I don’t want daycare to see it two days in a row and question why we’re not bathing the child or changing his bandages.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

space uncle posted:

We’re on day 4 of a bandaid for his Covid vaccine. He has refused to let me remove it. He wants his 3 year old friend to take it off. I told him I doubt that kid is willing or capable of removing it.

He promised he would let me take it off today. I don’t want daycare to see it two days in a row and question why we’re not bathing the child or changing his bandages.

Believe me, they have encountered kids before with the TERROR of removing a Band-Aid.

Ever since we told our son that he didn't have to have a Band-Aid, getting him his shots has been soooo much easier. It turns out he's way more afraid of that, than getting stabbed with a needle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

We already have a fairy house that lives in our livingroom that she made out of a big box several months ago. This wouldn’t have replaced that one; she wanted them to be neighbors.

:rolleye: there goes the fairyhood

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Farquar posted:

Believe me, they have encountered kids before with the TERROR of removing a Band-Aid.

Ever since we told our son that he didn't have to have a Band-Aid, getting him his shots has been soooo much easier. It turns out he's way more afraid of that, than getting stabbed with a needle.

Mine has all the shots and boosters and she never even once winced while getting them. She also loves to put on band-aids for play, and regularly re-applies them because they are slightly crooked. But god-forbid it was a band-aid she got after getting a shot. She's taking that one to her grave because she's in terror about getting it pulled off and wants it to fall off by itself.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Hadlock posted:

:rolleye: there goes the fairyhood

Parenting megathread: there goes the fairyhood

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Renegret posted:

The first few weeks we primarily put them to work by doing laundry, dishes, cleaning, washing bottles, handling our older kid, basically all the non baby related things that need to get done. It was really nice.

Unfortunately it was a rude awakening when they decided they were done being here 12 hours a day and I had to start doing all that myself again. This house is a loving disaster.

My mum did this for us when I was incapacitated after my poo poo c-section and it was amazing, especially because my husband was being a moron about recovery and getting annoyed that I wasn't fully fighting fit to take on equal chores/parenting the day I got home from hospital. When mum had to go on a trip for a few days about 3 weeks in and worried about leaving me knowing I wasn't having a smooth recovery, my father chimes in with "well it's been three weeks so she's healed, she just needs to learn the hard way that this is what 2 kids is like"

Honestly I could have drop kicked the adult males of my life into the sun during those particular weeks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
“Daddy why does baby cry so much today?”
*looking straight at grandma* “he ate too much and now he needs to toot but it wont come out”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
One of these days, my daughter is going to realize that there is nothing standing between her and the downstairs but her own two legs and a willingness to get out of bed. There hasn't been a baby gate for like two months now.

She can open doors. She can move her kitchen stool. She can open refrigerators. Somehow, she's never put two and two together to realize that 2+2=Snacks in the middle of the night, because Daddy saying it's bedtime still counts for something I guess?

It'll be a sad day when she realizes the power & freedom she's been ignoring. :lol:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

My mum did this for us when I was incapacitated after my poo poo c-section and it was amazing, especially because my husband was being a moron about recovery and getting annoyed that I wasn't fully fighting fit to take on equal chores/parenting the day I got home from hospital. When mum had to go on a trip for a few days about 3 weeks in and worried about leaving me knowing I wasn't having a smooth recovery, my father chimes in with "well it's been three weeks so she's healed, she just needs to learn the hard way that this is what 2 kids is like"

Honestly I could have drop kicked the adult males of my life into the sun during those particular weeks.

I know you've shared things before, but what the actual everliving gently caress.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

I know you've shared things before, but what the actual everliving gently caress.

If its any consolation my husband pulled his head in in fairly short order and aside from a few notable wtf periods on the whole he is actually a very involved and attentive father and supportive partner. Which made the wtf periods even more wtf.

My father alas still has no real clues about parenting

e: I was being a little hyperbolic about expectations the day I got home from hospital but it was 2 weeks in and wondering why I was not doing lots of chores in between trying to manage our daughter

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My son likes to call any split, scratch or seam "a river" which is intriguing to me, etymologically.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Late on shot talk but my three year old has lately wanted to play a game where all of her stuffed animals are sick and need to go to the doctor (me) to have me listen to their heart, give them a flu shot, and put a bandaid on the shot (I have to say what’s on the bandaid) :3: early imagination games are so fun

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Tamarillo posted:

If its any consolation my husband pulled his head in in fairly short order and aside from a few notable wtf periods on the whole he is actually a very involved and attentive father and supportive partner. Which made the wtf periods even more wtf.

My father alas still has no real clues about parenting

e: I was being a little hyperbolic about expectations the day I got home from hospital but it was 2 weeks in and wondering why I was not doing lots of chores in between trying to manage our daughter

Thankfully wasn't that moronic about it, but having been blindsided a bit by my wife's c-section recovery, I think it's a combo of two things:

1. The labor/newborn thing where everybody you talk to has largely blotted it out of their memory due to sleep dep. Once we knew the baby was breech, one of her friends was going on and on about how c-section was so much better recovery-wise than vaginal. It was only after extensive WTF questioning afterwards that she revealed she had been in bed on twice-daily heavy-duty opiates for three week straight afterwards.

2. The constant minimization of it by all related health-care professionals, from the postpartum nurses who got huffy about coming in to help with the baby while I was off dealing with our two-year-old (see incompetent-but-well-meaning grandparent chat) to the pediatrician's office asking why the mom isn't at the first appointment so she can answer the postpartum depression screening (yeah, I think you can put down that it's not going great right now, folks).

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Having been through 2 c-sections now, the partner is in for a rude awakening if they don't think there's an actual recovery process. Mom can't drive, can't really go up/down stairs, can't carry things, and potentially on bed rest. The partner is needed more than ever in that first 2-4 weeks.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Yeah - one additional thing that wasn't apparent going in is that there's a lot of variability in recovery timeline, both person-to-person and based on the circumstances of the c-section (e.g. much longer recovery for an emergency c-section after extended labor vs. scheduled with no labor).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

My wife's guidelines post scheduled C-section were "no heavy lifting for 6 weeks" I can't imagine how anyone can look at that and say "yeah equal chore load at any point within that time, for sure"

also asking a breastfeeding mother to take an equal house chore load should be punishable by hot irons applied to the taint

3 weeks vacation didn't feel like remotely enough and I am eternally thankful I was working from home at a job I've been at long enough to have the proverbial "I do what I want" license so I could rip out to help with the kiddo at every opportunity

(obviously i'm exaggerating, newborn sleep exhaustion makes you think silly selfish things but still drat)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Post c section, wife had her mom there for a week post birth and then her sister was also at the house for week 2. They mostly hung out on the couch with the baby and helped the new mom with stuff like cooking food, answering the door for food delivery, random stuff and then I picked up all the extra chores. Having family around helps tremendously

Recovery times vary wildly yeah. We had an extremely smooth c section so wife was up and walking around mostly normal within a week and by week 3 I was trying to slow her down so she didn't pop a stitch or whatever. Dad definitely needs to do triple duty those first six weeks

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My wife's c-section recovery wasn't too bad, but I think a lot of that was that our baby was in the NICU for a month and she had to stay in the hospital for more than a week because of high blood pressure. So being on bed rest for that time and not having to do any heavy lifting, plus me taking care of her once we were back home probably helped a lot.

She did have hypertension for like several months afterwards though, which was pretty annoying.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just a reminder, there's a parent gaming thread now

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031577

I pretty much only play roguelikes now, as on the rare occasion I have uninterrupted free time it's usually only an hour or so

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My oldest wants to fly her get well soon hot air balloon to the “hospital” and has fun giving her stuffed animals a checkup, so hopefully we avoided any fallout for future doctors visits.

I got my wife a nice comfy shirt to wear, per her request, as an anniversary present a few weeks back. Cream colored. Today was her first time to wear it. The shirt lasted all of 5 minutes before the baby smashed her face into a bar of her crib and left a sneaky schmear of blood on it.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any experience with suppositories for getting medicine into a 1 year old who just hates the syringe? She screams and violently twists around when I get it to her mouth. I have to hold her mouth open and squeeze her cheeks to make sure she doesn’t just spit the medicine all out. Overall it sucks and breaks my heart

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had even less luck with suppositories. They're hard to do right when the child is wrestling you and most of my attempts ended in failure. I also don't have much confidence in administering them and wasn't very comfortable to begin with.

With the capsule he just cried nonstop before pushing the whole thing out, and with the liquid he clenched so hard that it pinched the tube and I couldn't squeeze the liquid into his butt. It also caused trust issues because kiddo no longer wanted me near him with the diaper open.

Under our pediatricians guidance we switched to 1/4 to 1/2 cap of mirilax per day mixed into his nighttime milk and had significant success with it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

3 year old is on cefdinir for a chest infection. His cough is clearing up great, but the pediatrician and pharmacist forgot to warn us that it might make his poop red which caused a minor panic when daycare told us his poop looked weirdly bloody

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sweeper posted:

getting medicine into a 1 year old who just hates the syringe?
Does she like apple sauce? Can you mix (or bury) the medicine in spoonfuls of it.

Medicine sucks. Our oldest had frequent ear infections during his first year so he got pretty used to taking it. Our second didn't, so the couple of times she did need an antibiotic course at that age were dreadful. But by around two years I convinced her the syringe was "like a straw" and she could suck on the end of it and we had a breakthrough moment.

Pilling the dog was the hardest.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think I overreacted tonight and took the 3 year old to the Emergency Room. He's fine.

I didn't notice he had his fingers in the doorjamb (hinge side) and I shut the door on them. The little bounce it made (fortunately I didn't slam it all the way shut and latched) was horrible. Mostly caught the last joint of his ring finger.

I tried to stay calm and see if he would recover, after 45 minutes of non-stop crying and holding his hand perfectly still I started to worry I broke it. Packed him up and took him in for an X-Ray.

X-Ray was fine but that finger is absolutely bright red now. I feel awful. The nurse was really nice and he told me he's done it to all of his kids and that I will probably do it again. Hopefully next time I can calm the gently caress down and not spend hundreds of dollars on a hospital visit for no reason, but I just keep thinking what if it was broken.

Here's the punchline: while waiting in the ER we got a text from our neighbor. They had stopped by to drop off a christmas cookie package and had just missed us. Neighbor's profession? Pediatric emergency room doctor

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone else in our family needs to make some freaking kids. Mine are currently the only ones on both sides and the amount of presents they get is absurd.

I totally get not wanting to have kids or not get in that stage of life, but drat I’m running out of floor space here.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Someone else in our family needs to make some freaking kids. Mine are currently the only ones on both sides and the amount of presents they get is absurd.
Every year we ask family to not buy us extraneous toys. For family members who enthusiastically want to contribute, we ask them for zoo/pool/whatever memberships since those have to be re-upped annually and the kids make use of them throughout the year, and that usually works out on the other end since it's a reliable gift they can get us year after year and they don't have to worry about finding other gifts for us.

But my parents have to get us something tangible for the kids to open in front of them, which turns into ten things, at least one of which is this year's VTech plastic techtoy that our kids literally give no shits about since they have iPads. And then I get uncomfortable at the obvious display of privilege regarding everything I just wrote.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I can't put enough attention into my son. He always wants more! I am finite, please

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The worst is when you're like okay, I need a break, time for a snack and a show

And then BOTH the snack AND the show turn into a huge meltdown tantrum flash point. NO NOT THAAT OOOOONEEEEE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The last two weeks my kiddos favorite hobby has been having meltdowns over mundane poo poo

"Grandma is coming for Christmas? I DON'T WANT GRAMMA COMING FOR CHRISTMAS

:negative:"

loving goddamn child not every word that comes out of my mouth is grounds for a meltdown. On the plus side it has steeled me against any kind of mild annoyances in my life right now; "at least it isn't my 3yo having a god-damned melt down over the wrong kind of chocolate candy for 45 minutes"

Had to push the kid home from daycare in the stroller last night, it's about a 20 minute walk uphill. We got to the last 250ft from the house before she ran out of steam "I want to go back to school" child the school is closed everyone went home already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

I totally get not wanting to have kids or not get in that stage of life, but drat I’m running out of floor space here.

Same.

My only sibling isn’t having kids and my wife is an only child so our kids get all the grandparent attention.

My wife’s grandmother is still around and our kids are the only ones she’s a great grandmother to as well, since my wife’s cousins haven’t had kids and don’t really seem like they will any time soon, if ever.

It’s a lot of attention and toys.