Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

Congratulations!

You might want to start thinking about the type and label of booze is your favorite. It’ll help to know this ahead of time...

Especially at this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My biggest regret is not making any nog this year to age.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Especially at this time of year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtb3EtjEic

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No clue what happened, but if you have toxic people in your life, family or not, get rid of them. I haven't talked to the person I call my Mom in 3 years and it's been good for me. You don't owe anyone anything no matter what they tell you.

When your therapist says "Are you sure you wouldn't have been better off in foster care", it kinda makes you think.

Luckily my wife has an amazing, large, awesome family so my kids have a somewhat normal example of the way things should be.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Get rid of toxic people. I've jettisoned quite a few. Family though is that rare group of people that get as many chances as they want to come back and try again. I have members of my extended family who I wouldn't cross the road to say hi to, but they're still family.

Same here, though - wife's family is awesome. Had Thanksgiving with them this year. What a group.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got out from under a lovely boss and it has done wonders for me!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Fool posted:

My wife moved to Alaska to get away from the toxic parts of her family.

I'm at the point where an increased possibility of bear and moose attack sounds like a good trade!

This morning I ran into the old guy that brought the opportunity to me. He's flying out to help wrap up their big deal. They have to finish the thing before they start hiring people.

He said that he hasn't told the CEO there that I passed because he thinks it's the right thing for me to do and he doesn't want me to shut the door completely. I didn't give him the details because I don't think he needs to know all that personal stuff, just told him that family obligations were going to make it untenable. It's strange to have someone advocating for me like this and it makes me ashamed that I can't just be a normal person and pursue opportunities based on how I feel about them.

I don't want to leave L.A. (again) but goddamn I need a change, even if it's just a change of address. I wish I could change my name and go my own way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can change your address and not tell anyone. Also get a new cell phone number.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wonder what other features got pushed back in order for Teams to have in chat editable memes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I wonder what other features got pushed back in order for Teams to have in chat editable memes

team morale needs boostin

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Methanar posted:

To all of you re:Invent people, how was it? What were the highlights and hot takes?
Basically the big stuff is DevSecOps, IoT, more serverless.

There was so much stuff going on and sessions filling up fast or not being able to register properly that you feel like you missed out on something.

Still learned a bunch and attend a few cool things. Next year if we go again I'll want to fill up my schedule with more workshops. The 1 hour talks are fine like the last day because its right after they announce all the new stuff so you get to hear more details. Like they announced that deep lens thing and had a bunch of sessions the next day where you could get a free one except a couple hours later by the time I got to talk to my co-worker they were all booked.

Meeting with vendors and groups of similar people was good. One vendor bought us lunch, and we crashed a party for some company that sells a product we would never buy but they had top shelf booze in open bar. The big amazon party the last night was crazy.

I'd do it again but maybe either fill up my schedule and take it easy with parties outside of amazon's stuff, or shorten the days I am there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm at the point where an increased possibility of bear and moose attack sounds like a good trade!

This morning I ran into the old guy that brought the opportunity to me. He's flying out to help wrap up their big deal. They have to finish the thing before they start hiring people.

He said that he hasn't told the CEO there that I passed because he thinks it's the right thing for me to do and he doesn't want me to shut the door completely. I didn't give him the details because I don't think he needs to know all that personal stuff, just told him that family obligations were going to make it untenable. It's strange to have someone advocating for me like this and it makes me ashamed that I can't just be a normal person and pursue opportunities based on how I feel about them.

I don't want to leave L.A. (again) but goddamn I need a change, even if it's just a change of address. I wish I could change my name and go my own way.

Dick, I'm not trying to tell you what to do and that you'll be a bad person if you don't. I also missed the post you "never-minded" but I can guess in broad strokes based on comments.

All that being said. You have someone who appears to be extremely influential with the C levels (if not the board) of an undisclosed petro company willing to go to bat for you. They are in need of Things Done The Right Way™ and need a solution built from the ground up.

This would be perfect for you.

And it would likely be a large jump in pay. Go through the motions at least. Find out what the position would take and what the offer is. Don't slam the door just yet. All you need to do is say "I'll hear them out and start a discussion, but I can't promise anything"

it's very possible you can afford to have whatever responsibilities you think you have taken care of with the new position, whether it be financially or in terms of hired help.

Don't let anyone else's chains anchor you. This will be one more ball of resentment that will fester and grow, and since you sound a lot like I used to, you're going to direct it at yourself.

You owe it to yourself. And god drat it, you've earned it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Out of respect for his attempt to help me when so few have I didn't insist that he drop it. I let him say his piece and wished him luck on his trip. The deal is absurdly large and he's been working for years to get it finished.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Listen to Proteus Jones. How many times have people come to this thread for advice. And how many times has this thread given the best advice to the people here.
I lost count. But I know it's been quite a lot, me included. I would most likely be in a different (miserable) place if I didn't listen to the advice given here.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Out of respect for his attempt to help me when so few have I didn't insist that he drop it. I let him say his piece and wished him luck on his trip. The deal is absurdly large and he's been working for years to get it finished.

Do it.

Just do it.

I didn't read the unedited post, but I can guess.

People who are continously allowed to flake and then gets bailed out will never learn, this holds true if that someone is 30, 70 or 100.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I have lurked about and stayed as current as a non-daily tech user can be on these forums. I know your public arc.

And I did catch that edited post and I get why you cut it.

But unless you have a other information to state that counters that in a real and meaningful way you have kept yourself in a state that has ground down to depression over years.

Walk the hell away from it and go for the job, I have been forced to realized how I lost, LOST, 20 years of my life over things beyond my control. I am living at 50 like I never thought I would.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because I feel sure that this exists, but I can't remember the name of this or how to do it:

Normally when you link a document in a word doc, it goes in absolute file path, and if you move anything it breaks and the link doesn't work. But I'm sure there's a way where if everything is in the same folder you can move that folder around and the links will still work.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because I feel sure that this exists, but I can't remember the name of this or how to do it:

Normally when you link a document in a word doc, it goes in absolute file path, and if you move anything it breaks and the link doesn't work. But I'm sure there's a way where if everything is in the same folder you can move that folder around and the links will still work.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's called a relative path. .\ in Windows

[Edit: vvv happy to help vvv]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
THANK YOU!

God damnit that was annoying me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Please, no more talk about relatives.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Please, no more talk about relatives.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Relativity-Babies-Baby-University/dp/1492656267

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh my gosh we don't have a standard adblocker we deploy or enforce on all machines

I mean there's no way I haven't known this on some level since I've been here for months now, but this basically just clicked in for me after a conversation with our security guys. Apparently they raised the issue with our team on multiple occasions and nobody really seemed to care?!

Either way I just sent in a ticket for a vendor assessment for uBlock Origin, so at least that ball is rolling now. Unless anyone has a better recommendation for an adblocker suited to enterprise use?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
We don’t issue an ad blocker, as far as I know, and we’ve had like 4 reports of maybe a virus in a year. I think 1 confirmed. Our sec team is pretty on the ball, so I doubt it was an oversight.

That said, getting something like that going is good for you come review time!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We deployed adblocking company wide in IE, Chrome, and Firefox. Has helped a ton, especially with VDIs where it lowered resource usage across the board. Not looking forwarding to dealing with all the browser-based cryptocurrency miners, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Iron Rose posted:

oh my gosh we don't have a standard adblocker we deploy or enforce on all machines

I mean there's no way I haven't known this on some level since I've been here for months now, but this basically just clicked in for me after a conversation with our security guys. Apparently they raised the issue with our team on multiple occasions and nobody really seemed to care?!

Either way I just sent in a ticket for a vendor assessment for uBlock Origin, so at least that ball is rolling now. Unless anyone has a better recommendation for an adblocker suited to enterprise use?

I pushed uBlock out once along with the Zoom extension but people had to turn it off to get some client sites working properly so my manager made me take it out and Security just sent out a thing asking people to install it.

Oh well, I tried.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone tried Pi Hole in an enterprise environment? That could possibly be another avenue to take.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone tried Pi Hole in an enterprise environment?

:gonk:

I'd rather look at filtering ad networks out using something like Cisco Umbrella

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone tried Pi Hole in an enterprise environment? That could possibly be another avenue to take.

I think almost everyone around here has a Pi Hole, but not enough of them shut theirs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

:gonk:

I'd rather look at filtering ad networks out using something like Cisco Umbrella

We’re putting this in next month.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We don’t issue an ad blocker, as far as I know, and we’ve had like 4 reports of maybe a virus in a year. I think 1 confirmed. Our sec team is pretty on the ball, so I doubt it was an oversight.

That said, getting something like that going is good for you come review time!

Oh man, I have 24 quarantined files in my portal now, roughly half of which will be threats that need to be flagged for further investigation.

I also really need to figure out a reporting function, which now that I've thought of it will be my project for tomorrow. Right now I don't think anyone other than myself is even reviewing it at all.

Actually, time to put out a few feelers, see if I can't even set it up to automatically create a ticket too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We use Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS) and I love it. Haven't implemented the IP tools yet because that involves loving with the network stack, something I'm loathe to do when using something like Citrix Provisioning Services. Place was a mess when I got here, but removing local admin rights, installing Adblockers, using host-based Bitdefender, using Umbrella, and using Mimecast our infection rate has plummeted. Using FSRM has been helpful as well. Probably deploying Palo Alto firewalls next year, which should be nice. Would still like to get to something like KnowBe4 and application whitelisting, but now that things aren't a disaster more pressing concerns have been a priority.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

I'm curious about this. Specifically regarding Lambda/Azure Functions/Cloud Functions.

All of the cloud providers have a lot of equivalent products. Apart from the differences in deployment methods, how different can they really be?

I only have any real experience with Azure, but apart from deployment, what other considerations would cause it to be untenable to move a micro-service product from one provider to another? Or even have it's components spread across multiple providers?

It’s not that the product or concept is different between providers. It’s that, if you are doing it correctly, you are using your providers SDKs and APIs extensively and those are /very/ different because their origins in their respective organizations are different.

Software defined infrastructure means you are using code to manage your stacks and the differences between how you invoke your resources between AWS or Google or Azure are huge. Think about how different the syntax for writing “hello world” in Python or .Net or PHP is. Now expand that to code that controls all of your workload stacks.

I get threatened by customers every now and then that they’ll move to Azure if we don’t give them a steeper discount and I never give a gently caress, because moving between providers is like deciding to move data center vendors while migrating from Windows to Linux at the same time. Of course we at AWS will do what we can to come up with a price structure that works, but threatening to leave is always laughable because the cost to move and redeploy is always more than any savings garnered by such a move.

We DO have customers who hedge their bets by living both in Azure and AWS but these customers end up with different engineering groups to support each cloud. Applications A, B and C will always be in AWS and Apps 1, 2, And 3 will always be on Azure. Crossing over is just too costly to do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think almost everyone around here has a Pi Hole, but not enough of them shut theirs.

:rimshot:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

GreenNight posted:

We’re putting this in next month.

Hope you don't use IPv6!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

abigserve posted:

Hope you don't use IPv6!

Am I missing something here?
https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230563727-Does-Umbrella-Provide-IPv6-DNS-Services-

[Edit: I guess I am, only does lookup and can't do filtering yet.]

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cisco have a strange relationship with IPv6. I still don’t think Meraki stuff can route it at all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just found a dinosaur stencil in Visio

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

It’s not that the product or concept is different between providers. It’s that, if you are doing it correctly, you are using your providers SDKs and APIs extensively and those are /very/ different because their origins in their respective organizations are different.

Software defined infrastructure means you are using code to manage your stacks and the differences between how you invoke your resources between AWS or Google or Azure are huge. Think about how different the syntax for writing “hello world” in Python or .Net or PHP is. Now expand that to code that controls all of your workload stacks.

I get threatened by customers every now and then that they’ll move to Azure if we don’t give them a steeper discount and I never give a gently caress, because moving between providers is like deciding to move data center vendors while migrating from Windows to Linux at the same time. Of course we at AWS will do what we can to come up with a price structure that works, but threatening to leave is always laughable because the cost to move and redeploy is always more than any savings garnered by such a move.

We DO have customers who hedge their bets by living both in Azure and AWS but these customers end up with different engineering groups to support each cloud. Applications A, B and C will always be in AWS and Apps 1, 2, And 3 will always be on Azure. Crossing over is just too costly to do.

We are looking hard at kube federation but it’s not there yet.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hello folks.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) working with Sprint as a SIP provider?

I'm in the "thinking about the discovery phase" of an eventual PRI to SIP migration at my new gig and my boss asked me for opinions on our telco offerings. I've worked with most of the major carriers in the US except for Sprint, so I have my opinions on ATT, VZW, and CenturyLink (loving burn in hell CenturyLink). I know working with telco's is never uneventful but I have no idea where they fit in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
None of my users have local admin, we have execution policy as whitelist-only, and Cisco umbrella. Client anti-virus doesn't have to do anything (like it should be) and I haven't done a virus cleanup in the entire time I've been here.

Users getting in line with standard deployment configurations rules.

E: oh and our last knowbe4 phishing attempt got 0 loving clicks. A big goddamn ZERO. I almost cried.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 5, 2017