Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
universal translators work instantly even when a completely unknown species pops up and says hello. like, the first time the federation and their computers have ever encountered this language, and it works flawlessly from the first spoken word. it's very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it also translates in realtime even though variable syntax literally makes that impossible, it would be impossible to predict. it translates when someone is cut off. it translates ambiguities and innuendo. seriously just dont think about it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The UT exists outside of Linear Spacetime.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
every UTI has a miniature Hoshi shrunk down inside, multiplied by Tom Riker style transporter stuff. she is able to read the conversation more naturally than a computer would and provides the best translation available for the characters and viewers like you

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
leaving that typo in it makes it way better

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would think you would want to learn the prepositions first, then the nouns, then the verbs. I wonder if there’s people who could learn a completely unknown language in a short period of time. Probably.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The universal translator makes no sense. Instantaneous subspace communication makes no sense. But they are both way smarter than trying to run a work of dramatic fiction with half hour pauses between every line of dialogue.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If you're arguing about constant reimaginings across the franchise then I would argue that TNG-era Klingons are just as off-putting and jarring when compared to TOS Klingons as Disco vs. TNG-era. If you're being specific to the Tellarite design, then again, 8 episodes on what's widely considered the bastard child of the franchise (before Disco anyway) doesn't really make for a definitive version of a species.

I also have to strongly disagree with the Disco Telly/TNG Klingon comparison. They're both kind of tough-looking, with beards and receding hairlines? Again, you gotta take context into the picture. The Tellarites you see in Disco are near-defeat rebels hiding on a dusty planet and they meet the Disco crew in an open tent. I get that Disco overdoes the grimdark but yeah, I'd expect the mirror-universe rebels to look scruffier and more war-like than the ones negotiating with Archer.

TNG Klingons are the result of TMP Klingons which was a result of Star Trek getting a poo poo-ton of money and a movie. :shrug:

Also, yes, that is Mark Lenard playing a Klingon. He scored a hat-trick of popular aliens.

As for Disco Tellarites and Klingons, this is what I'm talking about. They have the same hairline, forehead ridges, and tassels as the first Klingon redesign. It feels like they changed them just for the sake of changing them, and took away some of the weirdness that carried over from the first iteration. I dunno, I was a fan of what Enterprise did with their eyes sockets as a nod to the crappy TOS masks.

Apparently, I'm also not the only one who thinks that they look like TNG Klingons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIn-eAf5lo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Nikki_deboer/status/1067566617712705536?s=19

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She's impossibly good-looking for her age, it is impressive as heck. Frankly, so is Siddig, it's nuts.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, if I seem down on Discovery it's because everything that I like is getting rebooted and ruined. Star Trek was and still is a big part of my life, and it breaks my heart every time I hear news of a new show or movie and then see it devolve into garbage. Discovery sounded cool because they had Star Trek veterans like Brian Fuller and Nicholas Meyer involved. However, what we got is Battlestar Galactica reskinned as Star Trek. Oh, and apparently we've got a Picard show because Les Moonves thought it would save his rear end. I can't wait to see that pick up right where Nemesis left off!

I dunno what's sadder: Me having hope that it will be good, or Brent Spiner's dumpy waistline.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

She's impossibly good-looking for her age, it is impressive as heck. Frankly, so is Siddig, it's nuts.

:agreed:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, if I seem down on Discovery it's because everything that I like is getting rebooted and ruined. Star Trek was and still is a big part of my life, and it breaks my heart every time I hear news of a new show or movie and then see it devolve into garbage. Discovery sounded cool because they had Star Trek veterans like Brian Fuller and Nicholas Meyer involved. However, what we got is Battlestar Galactica reskinned as Star Trek. Oh, and apparently we've got a Picard show because Les Moonves thought it would save his rear end. I can't wait to see that pick up right where Nemesis left off!

I dunno what's sadder: Me having hope that it will be good, or Brent Spiner's dumpy waistline.

admire ppl for aging well, but dont be a bitch when they age normal!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

admire ppl for aging well, but dont be a bitch when they age normal!!

I am very angry, and I will take it out on who I like!!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

well; sir, as you know, in our travels together i eventually tested and installed an emotion chip in order to become more human. in my more recent attempts to further my understanding of the human condition i have come into possession of a chocolate chip

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

well; sir, as you know, in our travels together i eventually tested and installed an emotion chip in order to become more human. in my more recent attempts to further my understanding of the human condition i have come into possession of a chocolate chip

This made me laugh out loud, lol

Thank you, I needed that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

omg

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Brent Spiner's dumpy waistline.

Excuse me that's called Big Data

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Have you heard of Bigger Data Theory

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the Star Control take on universal translators, where they're an incredibly sophisticated technology that's still prone to the occasional catastrophic fuckup. And it still has no goddamn idea what to make of the Orz.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I am very angry, and I will take it out on who I like!!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh no, eddington bargain benedict cumberbatch was the bomb all along

naem
May 29, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I am LUUKING for big data

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

oh no, eddington bargain benedict cumberbatch was the bomb all along

Poor Ken Marshall. He had such glorious hair and lost it over time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

all hair will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

time to shave

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

all hair will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

time to shave

Sir, you are on fire :golfclap:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bogus Adventure posted:

This breaks my heart.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mycomancy posted:

This breaks my heart.

Time comes for us all.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I think you mean...

Facebook Aunt posted:

Time is the fire in which we burn.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

My brain is forcibly rejecting this sudden knowledge that Eddington is the guy from Krull, holy gently caress holy gently caress

naem
May 29, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

My brain is forcibly rejecting this sudden knowledge that Eddington is the guy from Krull, holy gently caress holy gently caress

:stare:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

weyoun looks familiar, he very much looks like someone else

not brunt, i checked imdb. he reminds me of another actor on another show

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

That's how I felt when I found out about Kai Winn and Nurse Ratched.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pick posted:

Terry Farrell aged like a fine wine as well (55).

Jennifer Lien on the other hand (44) aged like prison toilet wine.

Then again, mental illness is a hell of a drug. . . and I guess actual drugs are a hell of a drug.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No matter how many times I see that picture, I still can’t parse that it’s the same person.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

Then again, mental illness is a hell of a drug. . . and I guess actual drugs are a hell of a drug.

god seriously don't be such a loving dick unless you're gonna post your fuckin picture

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Krull is such a wonderful movie. It's horrible, but somehow wonderful at the same time.

Also, Colwyn loving rules.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Michael Dorn. Hottest Trek dude. Hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Wait, what?! :stonk: