Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

If I had a place to charge one daily I'd be all in. The idea of waiting near a charge station for an hour is a no go. Shoot, give me a hot swappable battery I can carry inside that doesnt weigh a million pounds and I'd be interested.

The Zero FXS looks to be that, but its dualy/trials styling puts me right off. Gimme that feature set (100 mile hot swappable battery stack) in a package that looks like, say, a classic UJM, and I'd sell a kidney to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The number one Problem with BEVs is that the batteries Age and their aging is substantially accelerated if you want to do all the stuff the vehicle advertises for (Fast Charging, Hard acceleration, running max Range from a full charge)

Li-ion accumulators on a technology level just dont lend themselves well to the requirements of a vehicle that hast to perform consistently for decades in every climate zone without noticeable degradation in performance. At least not as the sole power source.

The best way to preserve a Li-ion Cell is to run it between 50% and 75% charge at the lowest current possible at 15°-20°C . thats quite the opposite of what you want your traction battery to do. And thats not even touching on the temperature depence of electrochemistry.

E: also we dont really have a hot new battery tech just around the corner. for the forseeable future we are stuck with the ones we have and we reached the save level of energy that we can cram into a given volume of accumulator now. If you want more Energy you need to thin out the separator which makes your battery more susceptible to spontanously bursting into flames. If you want more safety you need to go for a solid state electrolyte which kills your energy density.

Sure you can make it work in a traction battery, but all the basics of physics and chemistry of the cell go against what you try to achieve.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 22, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's too bad somthing like supercaps isn't viable. Fast charging and incredibly light. Crashes would be spectacular, though.

Renaissance Robot posted:

The Zero FXS looks to be that, but its dualy/trials styling puts me right off. Gimme that feature set (100 mile hot swappable battery stack) in a package that looks like, say, a classic UJM, and I'd sell a kidney to get one.

I actually like the look of the zero fxs/r vs the energica. Its a go to with our limited selection.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Here's what I did today:

Is Big Sur any good for riding? I feel like you’d spend the entire time stuck in a traffic jam. Or is it way better on a weekday? Maybe it’s so pretty it doesn’t matter :shobon:

I want to go down and try Nacimiento Rd but I wonder if it would be even worse than Hwy 1.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

E: also we dont really have a hot new battery tech just around the corner. for the forseeable future we are stuck with the ones we have and we reached the save level of energy that we can cram into a given volume of accumulator now. If you want more Energy you need to thin out the separator which makes your battery more susceptible to spontanously bursting into flames. If you want more safety you need to go for a solid state electrolyte which kills your energy density.

When you consider that the Nobel prize for chemistry was awarded to Akira Yoshino last year for inventing and pioneering lithium ion batteries in 1983, if there were hot new battery tech just around the corner, I wouldn't expect to see it start rearing its head until sometime around 2050.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are other chemistries like LiFePo and whatnot but they all have their trade offs

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Toe Rag posted:

Is Big Sur any good for riding? I feel like you’d spend the entire time stuck in a traffic jam. Or is it way better on a weekday? Maybe it’s so pretty it doesn’t matter :shobon:

I want to go down and try Nacimiento Rd but I wonder if it would be even worse than Hwy 1.

It's decent on a weekday. Sometimes the cars will move over and you'll have a few miles to yourself. Stay the gently caress away on a weekend. You know, much like Highway 9.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LodeRunner posted:

It's decent on a weekday. Sometimes the cars will move over and you'll have a few miles to yourself. Stay the gently caress away on a weekend. You know, much like Highway 9.

adding to this. go when it's wet during rain season. even fewer people on the roads.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shameful confession:
It was finally a nice Saturday with clear roads and supposed to snow again tomorrow, so I rode to the next town south and met a buddy at Starbucks so we could drink coffee and bullshit and then turn around and ride opposite directions back home.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Speaking of wet riding, anyone have any experience with Metzeler Lasertec tyres? The tread looks like it's got the most channels I can get in my size, and the Pilot Activs I've got on at the minute are turning out to be hilariously inappropriate in standing water.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 23, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Shameful confession

I went to a motorcycle show yesterday and spent a non insignificant part of it sitting on the bike I already own wishing it was nice out again :(

I might go back today again.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Me, my big bother and dad went to one of the local winter biker meets this weekend. Old school meet with not much organization. I think it's been around for 40ish years. The date is set, last full weekend in february, there is a portapotty where you donate after you deposit, some local guy comes by every day and sells firewood and it's the same location every year. What else you do is up to your own imagination. So, it's mostly looking at other bikes, maybe take a small ride on saturday, drink beer and talk to other strange people that also ride bikes in the winter.

We took the local ferry on saturday on a small round trip to the nearest wine monopoly.

Click on images for big size.
There was a storm forecast with rain so the turn out was not that great this year. I'd say 40-50 bikes. 75% is side-cars

Temps where around freezing most of the time, and it rained a good bit friday night.

A good bit use lavvus or army surplus tents with heaters.

There are a eclectic range of bikes there, especially among the side cars. Moto Guzzi, Harleys, Nimbus, Yamaha, MZ, and more.

There is a good bit of homebrew cheapo solutions

It's was a fun trip, slippy as hell on saturday, I need a better winter sleeping bag or a better liner, but our lavvu was pretty okay.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of wet riding, anyone have any experience with Metzeler Lasertec tyres? The tread looks like it's got the most channels I can get in my size, and the Pilot Activs I've got on at the minute are turning out to be hilariously inappropriate in standing water.

They aren't much better because the tread design is circa 1985 and deliberately old fashioned. What are your tire sizes? In those awkward old-school sizings I like continental's offerings, you can also sometimes get 70/30 ADV tyres to fit, those tend to work much much better than anything cruiser/retro focused and they don't look too bad.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
100/90-19 front
130/80-18 rear

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

100/90-19 front
130/80-18 rear

Ok so the front is the same as any number of ADV bikes so stuff like pirelli scorpion, conti trail attack (ignore the name it's a chunky street tyre), shinko whatever would work great.

The rear is what fucks you, that is a very old school size and you're pretty much stuck with cruiser tyres or horrible Malaysian shitbike tyres. I think pirelli night dragons would be a good compromise, they're intended as sticky alternative Harley tyres so they'll be very good indeed on your much lighter bike. Alternatively go whole hog with touring rubber that will last forever and turn your bike into a truck.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What would you recommend on the touring side? I'm putting a solid amount of miles on this thing so if I'm out of luck for actually good wet tyres I'd rather go all in on something long lasting and just set myself train-like stopping distances in winter.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

There are some updated tyres for that size, not too much touring, more Adv bike stuff like Mitas e-08/09, Heidenau k60, Anakee Wild. The only other touring one I can find is ContiRoadAttack 2/3.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Road attack aren't touring tyres, they are just a straight ST with emphasis on the S like angel gt's, they don't come in that size rear though?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

https://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres-continental/contiroadattack-3/130-80-r-18-66-v/r-339301

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks for this, I now have to email the supplier to tell them that, once again, the listings on their parts portal are costing them sales.

RR just get ra3's they are great and will transform your bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What would you recommend on the touring side? I'm putting a solid amount of miles on this thing so if I'm out of luck for actually good wet tyres I'd rather go all in on something long lasting and just set myself train-like stopping distances in winter.

Bridgestone BT45s are decent and come in 18”. Kenda K671s also. They’re pretty good for a budget tire. I actually liked them better than the BT45s for wear characteristics, never had wet traction problems but did once lock up and push the front out on a cold tar snake.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
A guy a couple towns over is selling an almost 40 year old GoldWing with 100k km (62k miles). Looks clean and well kept. I've heard GoldWings are actually good bikes. Should I buy it?

It's a 1981 GL1100 going for $1200 CAD ($907 USD).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes they own and 65k isn’t a lot of mileage for one

Embrace the dadlife

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I traded a scooter for my Goldwing on a whim and initially was just going to flip it for cash but dammit if that big fat bastard hasn’t grown on me.

They are really REALLY good bikes considering their age and the cheap buy-in and are essentially the same, mileage, storage and sunshine-wise as having a Miata with a top that never goes up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Considerably faster and more fun than a Miata.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Could always strip the goldwing down as well to remove the fairings and bulk. Looks pretty good still

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Naked goldwings are extremely good, it's true.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I traded a scooter for my Goldwing on a whim and initially was just going to flip it for cash but dammit if that big fat bastard hasn’t grown on me.

They are really REALLY good bikes considering their age and the cheap buy-in and are essentially the same, mileage, storage and sunshine-wise as having a Miata with a top that never goes up.

It was an aspencade right? How's it doing, I haven't seen you post any updates in a while

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

1978. Almost 80,000 miles and counting. Mine was NOT well kept when I picked it up. Go for it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Love those Vetter bags, so 70s futuristic. They really remind me of Space 1999 for some reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those bags are amazing, they make the back of it look like a starfighter.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Very little good came out of the 70s from an aesthetic perspective, and that holds true for the Vetter fairings and bags. I appreciate the function behind the design, but they are ugly AF. This is coming from a guy who owns a German dad bike AND an FZ-09, so I can look past a lot of ugly.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I love em, and I love that they clip off of the mounting points and can be carried like fat little briefcases.

I DON’T love that the right side one will sometimes disconnect at speed. I have to tie that one down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Naked goldwings are extremely good, it's true.

It was an aspencade right? How's it doing, I haven't seen you post any updates in a while

Yep, 86 Aspencade 1200. Going well, I haven’t posted because it’s just hibernating in the garage over winter. Other than firing it up once a month or so I haven’t touched it since November since our winter started so early this year.

Something in the Speedo drive in the front wheel gave up the ghost so the Speedo doesn’t work right now but other than that it’s been good

Keegers posted:

Could always strip the goldwing down as well to remove the fairings and bulk. Looks pretty good still

Even the newer ones work with this theory. This is a 1200 with the top box removed and a shorty windshield. Looks like a different bike.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 26, 2020

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Love those Vetter bags, so 70s futuristic. They really remind me of Space 1999 for some reason.

Always good to see people appreciating dad's work.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Got my first bike 7 years ago today. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I really need to fix my 250 this year. God knows how much worse it's gotten after sitting so long. For the two weeks it worked, it was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden :negative:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

M42 posted:

Got my first bike 7 years ago today. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

teach me your balance skills

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s actually an action shot of them having a no look narrow miss with a Honda Civic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s actually an action shot of them having a no look narrow miss with a Honda Civic

A Honda Civic's natural habitat.