Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, those opinions were shocking enough to me to want to post them. Most everyone else I know and interact with by choice are pretty solid people. A few are "reasonable SJW's", like the type who will fill their facebook with activist stuff but they're well meaning and care and don't call you a white colonizer expropriating asian culture for eating sushi, they're all reasonable people you can actually talk to about different views and takes on social justice. The rest are fairly "apolitical" but still go out and vote ndp while rolling their eyes and when pressed don't actually have any awful views.

The average Canadian might be trash, but there's enough canadians that aren't trash that you can build a cocoon of good people around you and live a pretty decent life.

So it turns out that race is basically orthogonal to a left-right political spectrum, who knew!

Also I came across this a few days ago in the Great Race Space and it pretty much summarizes everything about the people you described, Baronjutter.

quote:

Whites are taught to see their perspectives as objective and representative of reality. The belief in objectivity, coupled with positioning white people as outside of culture (and thus the norm for humanity), allows whites to view themselves as universal humans who can represent all of human experience. This is evidenced through an unracialized identity or location, which functions as a kind of blindness; an inability to think about Whiteness as an identity or as a “state” of being that would or could have an impact on one’s life. In this position, Whiteness is not recognized or named by white people, and a universal reference point is assumed. White people are just people. Within this construction, whites can represent humanity, while people of color, who are never just people but always most particularly black people, Asian people, etc., can only represent their own racialized experiences.

The whole "white people did a bad thing so we should be ashamed of whiteness forever" is basically elementary school level of logic and it's incredibly dumb that they think that's what they "should" be doing. Like a kid who did a bad thing then gets sulky and then tells everyone how bad they feel about doing a bad thing instead of just sucking it up and making sure it doesn't happen again and fixing whatever wrongs they may have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

There's only so much experience/education/exposure. The majority of Canada is so sheltered that there is no possible way that they will ever be able to understand abstract issues.

Like math

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cowofwar posted:

There's only so much experience/education/exposure. The majority of Canada is so sheltered that there is no possible way that they will ever be able to understand abstract issues. So the only hope is to get their votes under dumb pretenses and then prevail as a benevolent dictator while throwing them a hate bone every once in a while to split them up against each other.

So you don't believe that it's an issue of ineffective communication, but fundamental ideology?

Well if a formula on a placard is the reason we can't reform the voting process, we done hosed up somewhere.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ChairMaster posted:

I don't understand why I get so much poo poo when I post about how worthless this country is, does anyone really think that the people in baronjutter's post aren't representative of the average Canadian left? There's nothing worth saving in this stupid country, there's clearly no point in even worrying about it.

Your unrelenting negativity is not helpful. I don't claim to be a huge world traveller but I don't know of any country that is free from the taint of stupidity, racism, privilege, class, inequality to some extent greater or lesser in degrees than Canada. So sitting and whining about it achieves nothing. It's emotional nihilism - everything is horrible, nothing matters. It's the philosophy of a petulant child. You add nothing to the debate and just provide meaningless noise.

Does that clarify matters for you?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea but positivity isn't helpful either, look who it got elected. Negativity can at least make people mad, and actually do something about the circumstances they find themselves in, rather than idly standing by and watching the Conservatives or the conservatives get elected every single time like they always will.

Not that I'm one to talk, I've said tons of times that I'd never really do anything to jeopardize my own freedom or safety in the pursuit of the greater good. Hell, my whole plan is to get out of Canada before the North American refugee crisis starts up proper.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChairMaster posted:

Yea but positivity isn't helpful either, look who it got elected. Negativity can at least make people mad, and actually do something about the circumstances they find themselves in.

Well, they elected Donald J. Trump.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea Hillary Clinton would have saved the world for sure. Definitely wouldn't have just kept the status quo going for another 8 years. No way that could happen.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/ScanBC/status/828812389806071809

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't equate positivity with the democratic election campaign. Nor would I use that to describe the tactics of BLM, the feminist movement as of late or any of the other social justice movements over the past five years or so. Their rhetoric was downright nasty, without having any eloquence or a refined coherent message. The civil rights movement of the 60s had a unified message that stayed on topic a lot better than what's going on now. Not *just* MLK, it seems like the entire movement was more thought out and put together, including those who spoke for the Black Panthers from recordings I've watched.

That's part of the problem now. Like it or not but someone can be on the mark when identifying a problem that needs to be fixed and then be completely dismissed by people who would otherwise listen if not for the issue being presented in such a nonsensical, abusive, incoherent way. There is a lot of things that need to be said coming from the left but it's wrapped up along with a lot of stupidity and coated with a layer of vitriol that's causing the entire message to fall on a lot of deaf ears.

What did the left succeed in by being this terrible and abrasive? They got so many people to tune out of the entire process that Trump won the election with less votes than the last republican to lose the election. That's a real loving tragedy right there.

Hell, there's an hour long Youtube video called Being 100% Right and 100% Fired that discusses this similar sentiment, but in relation to IT work. Not a great video due to the guy rambling a lot and going on tangents but at least it's something.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

I wouldn't equate positivity with the democratic election campaign. Nor would I use that to describe the tactics of BLM, the feminist movement as of late or any of the other social justice movements over the past five years or so. Their rhetoric was downright nasty, without having any eloquence or a refined coherent message. The civil rights movement of the 60s had a unified message that stayed on topic a lot better than what's going on now. Not *just* MLK, it seems like the entire movement was more thought out and put together, including those who spoke for the Black Panthers from recordings I've watched.

contemporary descriptions of the civil rights movement assessed it similarly though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Trying and failing to reform our electoral system has cost taxpayers 4.7 million. Thanks Maryam.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Yea Hillary Clinton would have saved the world for sure. Definitely wouldn't have just kept the status quo going for another 8 years. No way that could happen.

Voting to destroy the relatively stable, relatively prosperous, first world is is a thing you can do. It probably won't materially improve your living conditions either, but it's a thing you can do.

Burn it down is a creedo you can subscribe to if you're not being catered to by the status quo, but things are going to get a lot harder before they get better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

That would have been significantly better than this dude.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

That's part of the problem now. Like it or not but someone can be on the mark when identifying a problem that needs to be fixed and then be completely dismissed by people who would otherwise listen if not for the issue being presented in such a nonsensical, abusive, incoherent way. There is a lot of things that need to be said coming from the left but it's wrapped up along with a lot of stupidity and coated with a layer of vitriol that's causing the entire message to fall on a lot of deaf ears.

What did the left succeed in by being this terrible and abrasive? They got so many people to tune out of the entire process that Trump won the election with less votes than the last republican to lose the election. That's a real loving tragedy right there.

Hell, there's an hour long Youtube video called Being 100% Right and 100% Fired that discusses this similar sentiment, but in relation to IT work. Not a great video due to the guy rambling a lot and going on tangents but at least it's something.

You are a perfect example of MLK's 'moderate white'

Martin Luther King posted:

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cease to Hope posted:

contemporary descriptions of the civil rights movement assessed it similarly though

Yeah, people were saying the same poo poo about the Civil Rights Movement that they do about BLM.

Letter from Birmingham Jail is just as well written and relevant nowadays as it was back then. Everyone should read the whole thing in its entirety, really.

MLK posted:

I MUST make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the last few years
I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great
stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councillor or the Ku Klux Klanner but the white moderate
who is more devoted to order than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace
which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods
of direct action"; who paternalistically feels that he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of
time; and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of
good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more
bewildering than outright rejection.

In your statement you asserted that our actions, even though peaceful, must be condemned because they precipitate violence. But
can this assertion be logically made? Isn't this like condemning the robbed man because his possession of money precipitated the
evil act of robbery? Isn't this like condemning Socrates because his unswerving commitment to truth and his philosophical
delvings precipitated the misguided popular mind to make him drink the hemlock? Isn't this like condemning Jesus because His
unique God-consciousness and never-ceasing devotion to His will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion? We must come to see,
as federal courts have consistently affirmed, that it is immoral to urge an individual to withdraw his efforts to gain his basic
constitutional rights because the quest precipitates violence. Society must protect the robbed and punish the robber.

I had also hoped that the white moderate would reject the myth of time. I received a letter this morning from a white brother in
Texas which said, "All Christians know that the colored people will receive equal rights eventually, but is it possible that you are
in too great of a religious hurry? It has taken Christianity almost 2000 years to accomplish what it has. The teachings of Christ
take time to come to earth." All that is said here grows out of a tragic misconception of time. It is the strangely irrational notion
that there is something in the very flow of time that will inevitably cure all ills. Actually, time is neutral. It can be used either
destructively or constructively. I am coming to feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than the
people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people but
for the appalling silence of the good people. We must come to see that human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability. It
comes through the tireless efforts and persistent work of men willing to be coworkers with God, and without this hard work time
itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Technically correct :shrug:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/INTEGRITYBC/status/828811722005712896

I have to wonder who these four credit unions are.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

This one's for the Torontonians.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

quote:

Gallup Poll (AIPO) [June, 1963]DO YOU THINK MASS DEMONSTRATIONS BY NEGROES ARE MORE LIKELY TO HELP OR MORE LIKELY TO HURT THE NEGRO'S CAUSE FOR RACIAL EQUALITY?
27% -HELP
60% -HURT
4% -MAKE NO DIFFERENCE
9% -NO OPINION
Methodology: Conducted by Gallup Organization June 21-June 26, 1963, and based on personal interviews with a national adult sample of 1,606. [USGALLUP.63-674.Q008]Dataset: USAIPO1963-0674Data provided by The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research.

History was never kind to civil rights movements at the time. You're looking at it through some romanticized version that you learned about but it couldn't be further from the truth.
Just look at the polls at the time about the civil rights movement in the 60s. They had about the same approval as BLM does now.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/308461037/Questions-About-Civil-Rights-Protests-1960s

Stop wringing your hands about tactics or tone, moderates are never okay with change. The best you can hope for is that they don't actively fight you but even then that's rare, because you threaten the comfortable status quo.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Duck Rodgers posted:

Police are currently participating in the sexual assault of First Nations women. Police are currently participating in harassment of sex workers.

Please tell me you have a link to a credible news article about this.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

P.d0t posted:

Please tell me you have a link to a credible news article about this.
You can always just Google it instead of staring at your screen. It was like the first result.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/val-dor-abuse-allegations-a-sign-of-justice-system-in-crisis/article27023050/

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 26, 2018

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

Subject: Electoral Reform

Hello Anita,
My name is Jonathan A. Canuck, and I’m a constituent and voter from the Skyline neighbourhood. I’m following up on a voicemail I just left with your constituency office. I’m a long-time Liberal supporter, and I’ve seen many electoral promises come and go during various Liberal administrations, but this is the first time in recent memory that I’ve been compelled to reach out to my MP due to the dropping of a promise. Electoral reform was and is a necessity in order to move Canada into the future, by making sure all Canadians have their voices heard in Parliament.

What we see happening to our neighbour to the South can easily happen here as well. As more and more people opt out of the political process – whether because they feel they’re not being heard, or that all politicians are the same anyway, so why bother – it allows minority blocs to use a first-past-the-post system to seize power. Some of those minority blocs, as we can see, are incredibly dangerous to the stability of a country and its economy.

I feel that none of our parties, their leaders, or their MPs have the luxury of sitting back and playing the game of “politics as usual”. We need open, transparent government, and we need all Canadians to have their voices heard in that government. Please, if there is anything we can do as voters to have the Prime Minister and his cabinet reconsider their decision to drop electoral reform as a requirement before the next election, I would love to be a part of that process.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Jonathan A. Canuck
Ottawa, ON

quote:

Dear Mr. Canuck,

I have been a supporter of electoral reform since long before I was elected and I continue to be an advocate of electoral and democratic reform. I have advocated on this publicly, in caucus and also directly to the Prime Minister. I am disappointed in the decision not to proceed with electoral reform, but I know that I did raise my voice at every possible opportunity. I have also passed on the disappointment of many constituents directly to Minister Gould.

Having said that, my plan is to move forward and use the incredible responsibility that I have as a Member of Parliament to focus on the areas that I know I can make a difference. I have been working with parliamentarians from around the world and from all parties to build networks to fight for democracy here and around the world. We have much work to do and I hope you will work with me and bring me your positive ideas and solutions.

I have asked my staff to give me the phone number of anyone who wants to speak to me directly about this and I am setting aside time to call constituents personally. I am also still hosting weekly drop in hours at my office and 'mini-town halls' at Algonquin college and I encourage you to come to speak with me.

Thank you so much for your commitment to democracy and for taking the time to write to me.

Sincerely,

Anita Vandenbeld, M.P.
Ottawa West-Nepean

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You seem to think that my issues with BLM include the fact that they're protesting at all. That's not the case. My issue is that while protesting they seem to be picking the shittiest Tumblr cretins in the crowd to grab the megaphone and shout concentrated idiocy while doing it. We live in a world of instant news and 90% of the population having video recorders and the more nonsensical gibberish is spewed the less impact it has.

I never suggested that protests need to be less disruptive and friendlier. gently caress that. Now is the perfect time and right in the center of things is the perfect place to be protesting. Protesting is cool and good and it should be disruptive to daily life. I have not once condemned first nations protesters from shutting down Portage & Main because that poo poo rules. This is why I find it stupid that so many protests seem to take place on college campuses and not in the middle of business districts, except in cases where they're protesting things that are actually taking place on their campus. When that isn't the case what the gently caress is anyone disrupting by screaming at a bunch of 18 year olds? They should be screaming at people walking in to office complexes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anita is too good for the Liberals.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Eej posted:

So it turns out that race is basically orthogonal to a left-right political spectrum, who knew!

Also I came across this a few days ago in the Great Race Space and it pretty much summarizes everything about the people you described, Baronjutter.

Like Stephen Colbert once said, being white (Christian, and male) makes you "default-American".

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope that the NDP introduces a PR bill and then we can see what Vandenbeld, Joyce Murray, Kim Rudd, and other Liberals who signed the Fair Vote pledge would do.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Eej posted:

Yeah, people were saying the same poo poo about the Civil Rights Movement that they do about BLM.

Letter from Birmingham Jail is just as well written and relevant nowadays as it was back then. Everyone should read the whole thing in its entirety, really.

I wonder if, in 60 years, people will be talking about how well written and relevant the writings of BLM TO's co-founder are. Probably.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao gently caress blm

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I wonder if, in 60 years, people will be talking about how well written and relevant the writings of BLM TO's co-founder are. Probably.

Holy poo poo, that would be hilarious if a whole bunch of people didnt take her seriously.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mental illness is terrifying to read

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is being loving stupid a mental illness now

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

namaste faggots posted:

Is being loving stupid a mental illness now

You'd be on the cover of the DSM if it was.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://charterchallengesite.wordpress.com/

quote:

The Charter guarantees our right to vote and our right to equal treatment.

Justice McLachlin ruled that our right to vote means that we have to be effectively represented: “Each citizen is entitled to be represented in government. Representation comprehends the idea of having a voice in the deliberations of government”. That’s each of us, not just some of us.

The court has also said that voters should be treated equally, but when only half of us have an MP we support, the system is discriminatory and excludes our voices.

Constitutional lawyers have advised us that we have a good case against our current voting system on these grounds. Now that the Prime Minister has slammed the electoral reform door shut, launching a Charter challenge is the best path to winning justice and securing our rights.

I am not a lawyer but somehow this seems like a hail mary.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Mr.48 posted:

Holy poo poo, that would be hilarious if a whole bunch of people didnt take her seriously.

When your protest is projecting power, while also shouting about how vulnerable you feel, you can't complain about the cognitive dissonance. You know you have a valid argument to make, but when there was an anti-LGBT attack using smokebombs that had just happened overseas, and it's a week after Orlando... scaring the poo poo out of parade watchers with smokebombs while demanding less police presence - how you can you reasonably expect to expand your sphere of support?

I have no qualms hitting hard at Trudeau's optics-vs-reality method, but "Justin Trudeau is white supremacist terrorist and Quebec City is a white supremacist settler colony" from the same person people defended after the "give me strength not to kill these white folks" tweet, is Alex Jones level laughable.

But I say all this knowing that whatever city I was in, there's probably a local activist chapter, if not BLM than someone else, that I would find some issue with... because I support activism but almost always think the people who end up in leadership inevitably do or say something too embarrassing to overlook. You don't get to be King poo poo Activist if you have nuanced opinions.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OSI bean dip posted:

https://charterchallengesite.wordpress.com/

I am not a lawyer but somehow this seems like a hail mary.

One Weird Trick To Implement Proportional Representation - Conservatives Hate This!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A big problem with modern activist/social justice (Not about to make a LOL SJWS!!! argument here so stick with me) movements is that they speak in academic language. It's hard to reach out to people who would support your positions stated plainly but don't understand what the gently caress you're talking about.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'd love an audit of the CFT.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lightning Lord posted:

A big problem with modern activist/social justice (Not about to make a LOL SJWS!!! argument here so stick with me) movements is that they speak in academic language. It's hard to reach out to people who would support your positions stated plainly but don't understand what the gently caress you're talking about.

They often don't employ the language with any thought or reflection either. That said, plenty of academics borrow jargon from other disciplines and churn out painful, wretched sentences.

It's a perennial problem with academia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

And requests for any elaboration are met with "It's not my job to educate you"

Yeah, fine, I get it and you're right. And it's exhausting. Find a way to communicate that which encourages people to find out on their own rather than feel like their support isn't wanted or needed. Even if you *DO* know the language but don't accept the whole of it (ie definitions within critical theory), there's no use for you. All or nothing.

But hey, when ideas are new to you, you are more evangelical because these are shiny and new and you want to share what you've learned and change the world. And maybe you can if you have the rare combo of brains, communication skills, and stamina. But for most of us, this stuff fades or evolves via failure, more immediate duties, exhaustion, meeting good people with "wrong" ideas, keeping friendships with people you grew up with who now hold very different beliefs, etc. Life was easier when I didn't have to ackwnowledge the comfort of the status quo and the nuanced wisdom that helps maintain it.