Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snackula posted:

I hate that I know this but Moero Chronicle Hyper is a serviceable one of those only it's got waifus being possessed by their clothes. The Switch is the new Vita.

Oddly fitting given the Switch, as I've said, is basically Nintendo finally filling the niche that the Vita/PSP tried to occupy, and other companies have been trying to make for decades; a high-end portable console, which can play at least workable ports of AAA games if the devs try while also having room for weird little games with less ambition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When you think about it, OG Doom was just a souls-like

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't get the love that Platinum Games get, I've beaten Vanquish, gave Bayonetta a decent shot and could only make it through 20 minutes of The Wonderful 101 before getting utterly bored. Vanquish ran out of ideas within the first 30 minutes, their games look and play like poo poo with stories that are terrible, going over the top but not well crafted schlock. Kamiya and peaked with Viewtiful Joe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

astral chain is a good platinum game

E: while I really like W101, you’re not wrong that platinum is very capable of making bad games much like any other studio, which everyone should already know because they managed to gently caress up a TMNT game (something that should have been squarely in their wheelhouse) super badly back in like 2016

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2020

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I think I played 4 on the DS and it took me like 2 years to beat but it was really fuckin good.

I love grid based, first person, party dungeon crawlers like World of Xeen and Phantasy Star 1. Then around the time isometric RPGs came out that whole genre died. I actually played a decent one on my phone that's just called The Quest. I thought the genre totally died a long time ago, but it looks like there is a lot of Japanese stuff in that genre in more recent times. Is that fair to say? Are there any games on switch on PC like Etrian Odyssey? Like an anime weeby Might and magic?

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is a fantastic first person dungeon crawler where you're an elite multinational strike team exploring a black hole in Antarctica that demons are coming out of. It has all of the standard SMT stuff (demon recruiting and fusions, chaos/law/neutral endings, etc), but has a much more sci-fi feel than the rest of the series. The original came out on DS and they remastered it on 3ds with a bonus dungeon and some QOL updates.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i am having a lousy day weekend existence and ive decided that the best mitigation for right now is firing up maniac mansion for some reason, so someone tell me which two characters to pick

for those unfamiliar the choices are Bernard, Jeff, Michael, Razor, Syd, and Wendy (in addition to the main character Dave who has the best music)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Razor and Wendy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

word, thank you for replying

i used to know how to beat the game with every character but have forgotten basically everything except the layout of the mansion and the totally bitchin music so this should be a trip

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

QuarkJets posted:

Razor and Wendy

Did you not say Bernard?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im glad they didn’t say Bernard because I’m kind of sick of him from DoTT tbh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Did you not say Bernard?

I have never played maniac mansion and don't know anything about it, I just chose two names

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I microwaved weird eds hamster and he killed me

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

startopia is a weird game. part of the fun comes from how badly it communicates to the player what to do. like its completely opaque what a lot of rooms actually do and its fun to just research and build stuff to see what kind of effect it actually has. it also has a weird infection thing going on where litter on the ground gets eaten by alien cats who then pass on a parasite to your visitors which eventually bursts out of them to create a murdering alien, this isnt explained or anything it just sort of happens

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I seem to remember Wendy's skill (writing) providing the most interesting ending but honestly they're all good.

Send Dave's useless rear end straight to the dungeon, where he becomes the designated loose brick pusher

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
New or old Startopia? I don't recall the alien parasite thing from the old game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Steam should just eat all other digital distributors because they’re so loving stupid. I didn’t buy a game on Origin, I bought it on Steam. So I have to launch it through Origin after launching it in Steam. gently caress you Battlefield V you’re not even fun.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

jokes posted:

I think Steam should just eat all other digital distributors because they’re so loving stupid. I didn’t buy a game on Origin, I bought it on Steam. So I have to launch it through Origin after launching it in Steam. gently caress you Battlefield V you’re not even fun.

Steam is hot garbage. Unfortunately, there's nothing better yet. As annoying as multiple platforms are, maybe we'll eventually end up with something better than Steam, or at least make Steam get off their asses and make their platform not poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

Dim Brain: Letting Valve have a monopoly on buying video games is a good idea.

Bright Brain: A free and fair market is impossible when private companies function as the marketplaces.

Galaxy Brain: Letting Valve have a monopoly on buying video games is a good idea, because then we can nationalize them and be done with it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doom Rooster posted:

Steam is hot garbage. Unfortunately, there's nothing better yet. As annoying as multiple platforms are, maybe we'll eventually end up with something better than Steam, or at least make Steam get off their asses and make their platform not poo poo.

Steam is actually good and not bad. Xbox for pc, now that's a bad piece of poop

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

food court bailiff posted:

astral chain is a good platinum game

E: while I really like W101, you’re not wrong that platinum is very capable of making bad games much like any other studio, which everyone should already know because they managed to gently caress up a TMNT game (something that should have been squarely in their wheelhouse) super badly back in like 2016

I've heard a LOT of good about Astral Chain, but I feel like a lot of the people saying so love other Platinum titles I hated so I'm apprehensive, maybe I'll give it a shot though definitely if it ever gets a PC release.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

what's wrong with steam seems fine

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

Galaxy Brain: Letting Valve have a monopoly on buying video games is a good idea, because then we can nationalize them and be done with it.

if a nationalized digital storefront automatically garnishes taxes on my royalties for me then i say bring it the gently caress on

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The recent change to the library is v resource hungry for people with hundreds/thousands of installed games, I've heard? Apart from that, nfi

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

People don’t like Popular Thing and they complain about it being a monopoly. The reason it’s a monopoly is because everyone who tries to make a digital storefront loving sucks. Steam is unobtrusive and I have had basically no problems with it for the past 15 years. Meanwhile 100% of every single other storefront is at best annoying and at worst on fire. Plus Steam allows anime titty games which is a huge plus for game devs: loving anything can get onto Steam.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

Plus Steam allows anime titty games

Finally a coherent pro-Steam argument.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the highest rated games on Steam are like almost exclusively anime titty games. The people have spoken Gaben.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you release your indie game on steam it will be sandwiched between two anime titty games on either side and people's eyes will glaze over it and it will vanish into the sea of massive anime boobs

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

there are worse ways to go

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you release your indie game on steam it will be sandwiched between two anime titty games on either side and people's eyes will glaze over it and it will vanish into the sea of massive anime boobs

in fact there's an indie anime tiddy game about this specific fetish that's very popular among indie devs

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sigher posted:

I've heard a LOT of good about Astral Chain, but I feel like a lot of the people saying so love other Platinum titles I hated so I'm apprehensive, maybe I'll give it a shot though definitely if it ever gets a PC release.

have you at least played mgr:r?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mr. Newell please transform me into an indie game and release me on Steam

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

food court bailiff posted:

have you at least played mgr:r?

hey what's some other good switch games lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who are these people who only find games by scrolling through their recommendations, their frowns deepening as the piles of cg tiddy grow ever more totteringly high

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Who are these people who only find games by scrolling through their recommendations, their frowns deepening as the piles of cg tiddy grow ever more totteringly high

I don't find games from recommendations but I am definitely a weirdo who doesn't have any tags blocked (except for VR, which Steam shows me anyway) because he likes to see what poo poo they try to shovel.

I'm over 22000 games marked not interested and there have been many days when my discovery queue was almost exclusively tiddy games

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's also funny to see how much they'll stretch to give you a recommendation. We think you'd like grid-based dungeon crawler Anime Piss Princess: A Wet Love Story because you also played Legend of Grimrock 2 three years ago

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Once you buy a critical mass of games with the anime tag like, for example, from buying a Final Fantasy collection, you’ll get a lot of recommendations under the “JRPG” “Anime” and “female protagonists” tags which is basically the trifecta for enabling a “do not open the recommended/store page in public” mode.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's also funny to see how much they'll stretch to give you a recommendation. We think you'd like grid-based dungeon crawler Anime Piss Princess: A Wet Love Story because you also played...

The original or the remake?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Serephina posted:

New or old Startopia? I don't recall the alien parasite thing from the old game.

the old one (i didnt know there was a new one i need to play that), the big black alien bug things are ultimately created by the cats that roam around your station who feed on litter, which is why you should never build food facilities on the lower deck where the cats hang out since it creates litter and spreads the infection

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

The days where steam was actually useful as a storefront to sell your indie game, because there were few enough games on the platform that just getting on was guaranteed good sales, are long gone.
It's basically just a distributor now. The steam store has so many games on it that your indie game will basically get 0 visibility on steam itself. You have to advertise or build hype or whatever off-site, and then people who see stuff about your game off-site and decide it looks fun will then go to steam to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

The team games are the most fun part of Fall Guys