Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Product link please?

I got these last time and they’re fine. There are a ton of different ones on Amazon and some are probably better than others but for $5 each these are basically disposable so when they inevitably lose it it isn’t that painful.

2 Pack LCD Writing Tablet, Electronic Drawing Writing Board, Erasable Drawing Doodle Board, Doodle Pad Toys for Kids Adults Learning & Education, 8.5IN(Blue+Pink) https://a.co/d/esSjk34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Product link please?

https://a.co/d/82hkRKn

Don't expect the bright colors from the advertisement, but it's still great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have one like that it's great. Kid draws and erases a drawing every 2-5 minutes

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
A couple weeks ago a random Santa told my son that lots of kids had been asking for trampolines this year.

Well since then he has been telling everyone that he wants a Christmas colored trampoline (not gonna happen) instead of what he had told us before, a play kitchen (already purchased). drat you Santa.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Santa on the take from a local pediatric orthopedic clinic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Santa out here making mortal enemies

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Well Santa too bad, if you want my kids to have a trampoline you're going to have to give it to them yourself ahhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

2 - how good Bluey is. Sometimes I learn more than my kid does.

We watched it with the subtitles on and my kiddo has started saying “Uptempo music! Music stops! Mom!”

Bluey is very good though.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Burst into tears infront of my kids today. I’m a 40 year old man.

Our boiler is broken, and we have no heating, and the engineer was supposed to come today. But apparently I missed him, he tried phoning me (no missed calls) and tried our doorbell (doesn’t work) and I missed him.

I’d been anxious about this visit since last night, and when I saw that it was my fault I missed it I just crumbled.

Had a glass of Baileys and watched Fantastic Beasts with the kids, cuddled up for warmth, and it’s all going to be ok friends. :shobon:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is day one of a four day weekend and I am 100% done with the 3.5yo whining and contrariness.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

It is day one of a four day weekend and I am 100% done with the 3.5yo whining and contrariness.

:same:

:negative:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

hallo spacedog posted:

How do you guys deal with pushy grandparents? My MiL and FiL retired a few years back and moved from somewhere not too hard to get to to a location 8+ hours away from us in buttfuck nowhere. They keep asking over and over again for us to come visit with our kid who is 21 months old now. Our kid definitely does not do great in the car. When I tell them this they offer the regional airport, which I am also not looking forward to as my kid doesn't like to sit still ever and the idea of carrying the car seat and everything else is just nightmarish to me.

Neither of us want to do this but I feel like I don't know what to say. We've tried to politely say no but they are just incredibly pushy and dismissive of any of our concerns about the trip. We have money issues right now and time/work issues too but any time we try to use those reasons they offer to pay etc. Any thoughts for what's worked for anyone else?

Trip report: we just ended up having to do this for Xmas and it loving sucks! Do not recommend

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

hallo spacedog posted:

Trip report: we just ended up having to do this for Xmas and it loving sucks! Do not recommend

That sucks and I'm sorry.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When my 3yo is refusing to get up from her activity, one thing I do is leave the room, close the door, and knock. It used to be a guaranteed way to get her to open the door and find me.

Today she ran up and locked the door. Time to get some keys stashed on top of key door frames.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh man. My little girl is sick, and last night she went to bed early and slept like a log the whole night.

Tonight, she's still doing poorly. She also went to bed early tonight, but she sure as poo poo ain't sleeping. She's more demanding than loving ever.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Benagain posted:

That sucks and I'm sorry.

Currently trying and failing to fall asleep on a twin sized pull out trundle bed with my kid and feeling very bitter about it indeed

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Resets the counter of “days since my toddler poo poo her pants” to zero

She was fully potty trained except overnight diapers. Had a regression when her sister arrived but it was mostly just accidents while she was playing and we figure “okay, normal.” She got a stomach bug a few weeks back, and since then she’s just been pooping her pants every so often. It’s like she forgot how to interpret the signal that says “you’re going to poop.” It’s not particularly loose, which I would understand if she misjudges farts or whatever. Just immediately getting upset because she pooped her pants.

I don’t think it’s willfully doing it for attention or anything but it’s driving me nuts and I don’t know what to do about it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Daughter, 9, 2 days after the birthday in which she saw her best friend and neighbor:

scene:

wife is napping
:butt: is gaming quietly.

kid :aaa: *shakes wife awake* WAKE UP! I WANT TO PLAY WITH THE NEIGHBOR (it's Xmas ffs)
wife: no. It's xmas. you're with us today and they're with their family today (they have more kids)
kid :aaa: : YOU NEVER LET ME SEE THE NEIGHBOR
proceeds to meltdown

:sigh:

she's obviously sick and/or tired, we gave her a huge post-birthday celebration and we went out but :ughh:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Opening presents at the in-laws. Our 3yo niece gets a stuffed Winnie the Pooh that has the "Walt Disney World" logo on it (my sister-in-law went to Disney this year and got all the kids stuffed characters there as gifts). Niece yells "Look mom! I got Disney Plus!!!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My gift from my daughter this year was a huge scratch down my cheek

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beginning to understand the parental need to both provide ~20+ presents && also not spoil the child with endless gifts of toys; and thus gifting the kid socks shirts and underwear

tangentally related, shoe size 3 is NOT T3 toddler age 3. Sorry kiddo you're gonna have to grow into these rainbow unicorn rubber boots over the next three years sorry not sorry

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

grandparents trying to get a 3 year old to sit still for Christmas family pictures challenge (impossible)

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

How about the grandparents feeling personally attacked when a toddler isn't enthusiastic enough about the presents they were given

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We have stopped less than halfway through the present process indefinitely because my kid is just not interested in opening the rest right now lmao

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I always ripped through the presents to see what everything was, then prioritized playtime accordingly. My wife took her time unboxing each gift as it was unwrapped before moving on.

My kids inherited my wife’s preferences and it’s killing me to be maybe 30% done at 2:30 in the afternoon. Oh well, half the stuff is going in the closet to be doled out during the year anyway.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Me, Christmas Eve: now kids, in the morning if the clock starts with a 4, you stay in bed

Kids, Christmas Day, 4:15am:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I always ripped through the presents to see what everything was, then prioritized playtime accordingly. My wife took her time unboxing each gift as it was unwrapped before moving on.

My kids inherited my wife’s preferences and it’s killing me to be maybe 30% done at 2:30 in the afternoon. Oh well, half the stuff is going in the closet to be doled out during the year anyway.

It's funny, when I was a kid I opened each gift and played around with it and stuff before moving onto the next one, and my sister would unwrap and move on, unwrap and move on.

She was always mad that I still had presents to unwrap when she was done, which would have happened if I had one and she had thirty. She'd start trying to "help" me, and I'd freak out.

My daughter and my son are my sister and myself, respectively. To a T. Exactly the same. Right down to my daughter somehow waking up two hours earlier than anyone wanted to and yelling about Christmas until we all got up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scene: My wife is an immigrant from a country where they don't celebrate Christmas. My mom, "Grandma" is in town.

This morning: me, grandma and kiddo sitting in the kitchen waiting for her to come down
*Shower noises*
45 minutes later: her: uh we didn't talk about this but should we hold off on opening presents until after noon until my sister and her kids get here to open presents?

Me, Grandma, kiddo: are you crazy :psyduck:

In her defense she's never seen a single digit age kid open presents on Christmas morning before

We ended up opening all but like 5 gifts

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Scene: My wife is an immigrant from a country where they don't celebrate Christmas. My mom, "Grandma" is in town.

This morning: me, grandma and kiddo sitting in the kitchen waiting for her to come down
*Shower noises*
45 minutes later: her: uh we didn't talk about this but should we hold off on opening presents until after noon until my sister and her kids get here to open presents?

Me, Grandma, kiddo: are you crazy :psyduck:

In her defense she's never seen a single digit age kid open presents on Christmas morning before

We ended up opening all but like 5 gifts

Antarctica has always been wise to their transpolar rival's bullshit.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This is probably incredibly cliche, but holy poo poo children, please show interest in the toys that were given to you and not the ones given to your sibling. I must’ve spent most of the day preventing the 10mo old from toppling over while futzing with the unsteady dollhouse her sister got, while the 3 year old a) gets upset about this and b) claims ownership of all her sisters gifts. Christ alive.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My kid got a giant set of squishmallows stickers. Like, hundreds. God help our furniture.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

King Hong Kong posted:

grandparents trying to get a 3 year old to sit still for Christmas family pictures challenge (impossible)

parents trying to get a 5 year old to wear pants for Christmas family pictures challenge (impossible)

lot of very precise cropping in our photography today (and every day)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

parents trying to get a 5 year old to wear pants for Christmas family pictures challenge (impossible)

lot of very precise cropping in our photography today (and every day)

I've been working from home full time since 2019 and I think maybe you guys should take his lead on the no pants thing. Sometimes we can learn from our children

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Took the kiddo (1y) to Magic Kingdom for the first time yesterday and he didn’t lose his poo poo like I thought he might. Managed to go from 10am to 4pm with a return to the hotel. Chilled for a while and then we went back in time for the 8pm fireworks show. Managed to even stay a bit later than his usual bedtime so he could ride a few things (PeopleMover, Teacups, and Pirates). Ended up lasting till 10pm which is pretty good all things considered. He seemed to enjoy himself and we even got his first haircut at the barber shop there. That was a real treat.

Probably not going to make it a habit or anything but my wife and I figured it would be pretty fun to do. I wanted to see how he would do on trips anyways. Since we’re already in Miami it wasn’t a long drive (3hrs). Son handled that part well, woke up about half way through the ride which wasn’t a big deal since we always do a stop at the half way point. On the drive back home today though he fell asleep for the entire drive, no stops. He’s going to do his first flight next month to Colombia to meet some family so that should be pretty exciting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My parents like to repay us for hosting by cleaning up the kitchen while we’re doing bedtime with the kids. It’s much appreciated even though it takes some time after they leave for all the utensils to find their proper homes. Outside of the obvious plates and bowl spots, stuff can end up anywhere.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
With preschool closed till the new year. I'm at home with the kiddo and decided to start cleaning out her older toys. What I've deduced is her preferred toys is trash. So many random bits of paper, stones, and leaves.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A toddler's love for any given toy is always inverse to its monetary value

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I’m still driving around with a child seat’s cup full of:
- acorns
- a single jingle bell
- leaves
- a chewing gum wrapper

It’s been over six months now. I’m not allowed to touch it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

calandryll posted:

With preschool closed till the new year. I'm at home with the kiddo and decided to start cleaning out her older toys. What I've deduced is her preferred toys is trash. So many random bits of paper, stones, and leaves.

Ha! Just this morning we were organizing and cleaning up the kids' room to make space for new toys, give away ones they weren't interested in anymore, throw out literal garbage, etc.

My daughter: What did you just throw out?!?
My wife: An old, crusty piece of dried Play-Doh.
My daughter: What shape was it?

What shape was it. She's gonna be a hoarder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

We are finally heading home tomorrow. I am relieved. My kid hasn't eaten food basically since we got here