Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Novum posted:

You're kind of a poo poo head.

In the current political climate, and with everything that lead to 5e, I have zero tolerance for attempts to stop or confuse actual critical thought. MonsterEnvy has been attempting to do that since the playtests for 5e, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Arivia posted:

In the current political climate, and with everything that lead to 5e, I have zero tolerance for attempts to stop or confuse actual critical thought. MonsterEnvy has been attempting to do that since the playtests for 5e, fyi.

Just be more nice.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 30, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If you enjoy your tabletop games then fuckin' whatever. When you try to talk down people pointing out that those games were made by irredeemable shitlords, then gently caress off, they don't need you defending them. If you don't care that your game was made by an irredeemable shitlord then we're back to "fuckin' whatever."

If you literally do not see the point in caring about them, then let me help you with that, it's because not everyone can just choose to "not care" when the people involved actively want to hurt you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

When it's super negative I tend to just leave. I was not that involved that I recall in the playtest time. More the release time

I just dislike when someone constantly insults me. But honestly I have given up on arguing game mechanics and game design stuff with you as we will never agree.

I do like your FR posts for the most part and think they are good additions to the thread. Out of curiosity did you ever check out the sword coast adventure guide?

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you enjoy your tabletop games then fuckin' whatever. When you try to talk down people pointing out that those games were made by irredeemable shitlords, then gently caress off, they don't need you defending them. If you don't care that your game was made by an irredeemable shitlord then we're back to "fuckin' whatever."

If you literally do not see the point in caring about them, then let me help you with that, it's because not everyone can just choose to "not care" when the people involved actively want to hurt you.

Honestly I dislike Cirno more then you Ariva. Cause at least you input some nice stuff. Compared to Cirno who never does.

Edit:nah I am not going to start this again. Everything was nice for a while.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 1, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

New thread title posted:

So far it seems fine

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

But honestly I have given up on arguing game mechanics and game design stuff with you as we will never agree.

For real this time?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Arivia posted:

In the current political climate

This is something that merits the kind of posts you're making in this thread, but it is not the subject of this thread. Someone who "just disagrees" about healthcare or climate change or your right to exist is a threat. Someone who enjoys 5e is not.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Petr posted:

Someone who "just disagrees" about healthcare or climate change or your right to exist is a threat. Someone who enjoys 5e is not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean if MonsterEnvy just really badly phrased his response the first time:

MonsterEnvy posted:

@Retroclones I don't see the point in getting these weird tabletop politics involved.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I never said I don't understand. Like you said I personally don't think what happens outside the printed book matters to the book, because lovely people have made a lot of the stuff we use all the time in life.

Then yeah, fair enough, whatever, but I hope it's uncontroversial to say that the distinction was important.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Then yeah, fair enough, whatever, but I hope it's uncontroversial to say that the distinction was important.

I think its more MonsterEnvy having a history of posting before thinking then rolling back and saying he never said that. The purest of goon shitposting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Petr posted:

This is something that merits the kind of posts you're making in this thread, but it is not the subject of this thread. Someone who "just disagrees" about healthcare or climate change or your right to exist is a threat. Someone who enjoys 5e is not.
I uh hmm. I think you may want to re-read what you are replying to. We're talking about why people may not like endorsing games written by horrible people. Horrible in this case being less "someone who likes 5e" and more "someone who likes rape".

A lot of big name OSR people are super shitstains.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No some of my posts just come across wrongly, but I did not intend for it to come through in that way. (Plus a bit of posting without thinking) This is because I am simply not the best at getting my thoughts across through typing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean if MonsterEnvy just really badly phrased his response the first time:

Yeah it was badly phrased the first time. Though I do think these tabletop politics are weird.

AlphaDog posted:

For real this time?

Yes for real. I won't argue mechanics and book details with her. There is just no point to it.

I do enjoy the realms posts and such and don't mind discussing stuff like that with her.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Petr posted:

As Cirno pointed out, the people we're talking about harassed a friend of mine off the Internet and tried to do the same to me. Thinking critically is an important tool for pushing back against lovely people in all parts of life, even the ones you might not think matter.

I was actually speaking about thinking critically with regards to game design (a critical field) in the first place. Thinking uncritically gets us surveys about "what spells feel like D&D" and 5e in general.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

I uh hmm. I think you may want to re-read what you are replying to. We're talking about why people may not like endorsing games written by horrible people. Horrible in this case being less "someone who likes 5e" and more "someone who likes rape".

I think I just want to get this out of the way. Yep this is true in some cases.

But from checking 5e does not really seem to have been written by horrible people anyway. (I don't count Zak and Pundit. They were never really involved and ties have been cut with them.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

As Cirno pointed out, the people we're talking about harassed a friend of mine off the Internet and tried to do the same to me. Thinking critically is an important tool for pushing back against lovely people in all parts of life, even the ones you might not think matter.

Yeah Zak did so, that was super lovely of him and he deserves your hate. But ties have been cut with him. So I don't see the need to hold that against WotC anymore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

But from checking 5e does not really seem to have been written by horrible people anyway. (I don't count Zak and Pundit. They were never really involved and ties have been cut with them.)

We've brought this up before but you ignored it. Mearls was part of Zak's hit squad of harassers. He also fed information on targets to Zak. He is complicit and pretty much a direct contributor to this poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

How is it unsuitable. It contains more stuff then the original. So you can study and learn more from it then you could the original.
I genuinely have no idea how good the new Ravenloft is I just want to point out that you literally equated quality and quantity here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Zak did so, that was super lovely of him and he deserves your hate. But ties have been cut with him. So I don't see the need to hold that against WotC anymore.
I think you lost track of the conversation. This started with people saying that they can't recommend/would recommend not buying/playing/endorsing certain retroclones because they were made by garbage people who actively work to make the world a worse place, and you saying you didn't see why that mattered.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Splicer posted:

If Avira were replying to people who did that kind of poo poo, then this level of vitriol would be justified. As far as I know, none of them are posting in this thread.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I can't see why there's a problem with these people who weren't only not involved but also had ties cut with them so they're not involved any more anyway but also weren't in the first place.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

To get this out the way quicker. What are you up to with your 5e games? What class are you playing and why did you pick it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

We've brought this up before but you ignored it. Mearls was part of Zak's hit squad of harassers. He also fed information on targets to Zak. He is complicit and pretty much a direct contributor to this poo poo.

Yeah I am actually trying to get in contact with Mearls about this. I want to know his side of the story.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I am actually trying to get in contact with Mearls about this. I want to know his side of the story.

Oh, gently caress OFF. Selling out people who tell you poo poo to their abusers makes you a piece of human trash. You little poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah because it worked out so well the first time right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Petr posted:

If Avira were replying to people who did that kind of poo poo, then this level of vitriol would be justified. As far as I know, none of them are posting in this thread.

MonsterEnvy posted:

@Retroclones I don't see the point in getting these weird tabletop politics involved.
This is what she got pissy about. Usually I'm on team "Calm the gently caress down Arivia" but in this case I'm 100% in her court. This is not the post of a person whose opinions I can respect anymore.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope that works out as well for you as it did for the people who originally brought their concerns to him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Oh come on are you literally tone policing now? The point is to not give lovely people your money.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

I genuinely have no idea how good the new Ravenloft is I just want to point out that you literally equated quality and quantity here.

Yeah then in a later post I stated I don't really agree with it that much and apologized for saying so. As I said I kind of lost myself in my zeal to defend my point and Curse of Strahd.

Splicer posted:

I think you lost track of the conversation. This started with people saying that they can't recommend/would recommend not buying/playing/endorsing certain retroclones because they were made by garbage people who actively work to make the world a worse place, and you saying you didn't see why that mattered.
The topic changed a lot. I understand why it matters to some people. But I don't think a product should be damned just cause you don't like one or two dudes involved with it. (And with 5e the people that are hated were barely involved) I am not going to drat the light bulb cause Edison was a jerk.

As I said earlier my original comment was just badly thought out and came across different then I actually think.

kingcom posted:

To get this out the way quicker. What are you up to with your 5e games? What class are you playing and why did you pick it?

I enjoy DMing more then playing. (Always have) So I am running a few games. I enjoyed the Paladin quite a lot as a class when I did play it however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Oh, gently caress OFF. Selling out people who tell you poo poo to their abusers makes you a piece of human trash. You little poo poo.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah because it worked out so well the first time right?

AlphaDog posted:

I hope that works out as well for you as it did for the people who originally brought their concerns to him.

Thanks for your votes of confidence. I still plan on trying. I don't plan on naming any names.

I will report back on what I find out from him.

Splicer posted:

This is what she got pissy about. Usually I'm on team "Calm the gently caress down Arivia" but in this case I'm 100% in her court. This is not the post of a person whose opinions I can respect anymore.

I apologized about that. As I said it came across wrong I just badly phrased it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 1, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh come on are you literally tone policing now? The point is to not give lovely people your money.
Man, give lovely people your money if you want. Make the conscious decision that either you're ok with their actions and opinions or that your principles are that easily compromised, and accept what this says about you. But don't take the easy way out and try to convince yourself and others that it's irrelevant. That's a whole other category of wank.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 1, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thanks for your votes of confidence. I still plan on trying. I don't plan on naming any names.

Not naming names doesn't help, you fucker. You're going to get people targeted and revictimized AGAIN. Your stupid idiot actions are going to lead to more people being hurt, because that's what abusers (especially Zak S) do when they're threatened. Your shortsighted bullshit is going to get people hurt.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Like, legit here I do not think talking to Mearls to "Get his side of the story" is going to help anyone.

I'm going to echo Splicer's earlier comment that I'm usually not amused by Arivia's flailing in this thread but the poo poo that went on with Mearls and Zak S was some major bad juju and she is 100% justified in getting mad at you for this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty sure the last time he was asked about it, Mearls quietly asked for proof, then just ignored it while saying he saw nothing wrong.

Good luck asking for his side of the story, I'm sure he's fine telling some internet stranger about all those times he victimized people. Maybe he'll get wistful.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Getting trolled on the loving internet isn't getting hurt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Not naming names doesn't help, you fucker. You're going to get people targeted and revictimized AGAIN. Your stupid idiot actions are going to lead to more people being hurt, because that's what abusers (especially Zak S) do when they're threatened. Your shortsighted bullshit is going to get people hurt.

How would it. He broke ties with Zak and I am not going to talk to Zak.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pretty sure the last time he was asked about it, Mearls quietly asked for proof, then just ignored it while saying he saw nothing wrong.

Good luck asking for his side of the story, I'm sure he's fine telling some internet stranger about all those times he victimized people. Maybe he'll get wistful.

No, that's the thing. The last time Mearls asked for proof, he got it. He then gave it to Zak in order to enable more harassment, and said he didn't see any problems himself. Mearls enables Zak and might even directly help out with the harassment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

Getting trolled on the loving internet isn't getting hurt.

I'm glad to know that everything is okay for you and your incredibly privileged rear end in the world today.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Please undo whatever you did if you can, there's a very real chance some random internet woman might get blamed. This is not hyperbole. I'd have sent this privately if you had PMs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's someone who actively searches for his name including in this forum so theres a pretty big chance he's currently looking for people to hit here so... yeah I would stop on this plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, you are straight up going to be King/Queen Shithead if you go through with this. Like, what happens if Mearls actually pays attention to your email and makes some sort of public statement about this? That poo poo is going to attract harassment to people like nobody's business. There is no way that this course of action will end well for anyone.