Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't remember atng episode with that premise though there was a Black mirror that came out a few months before it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The whole concept is pretty ham-fisted, and the crew act like loving morons repeatedly, which gets them in deeper trouble (and I don't even mean the initial statue-humping). Claim you fell off a ladder when you were a teenager and it hosed with your head or something. There's a million ways to believably hand-wave/lie away a dumb move, it happens a hundred times a day on the news.

Same with Alara and the hat. When the native girl sees her head in the bathroom, she should have said something like "no it's a gross birth defect, are you really gonna go make fun of my weird forehead to everyone outside?"

I dunno, it was just overall kind of dumb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The whole concept is literally becoming law in China this year

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't see what that has to do with my criticisms of them handling the concept in a mediocre way, or the stupidity of the crew tho

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The whole concept is literally becoming law in China this year
literally china is going to be governed by reddit style upvotes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

literally china is going to be governed by reddit style upvotes.

kiiiiiiind of https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/11/29/social-credit/?utm_term=.a900e25c2133

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

so chinese rice farmers will have equal voting power as a factory owner

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't see what that has to do with my criticisms of them handling the concept in a mediocre way, or the stupidity of the crew tho

Well you said the concept itself was ham fisted

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, there was some sloppy writing and the concept needed some fine-tuning, but as I've said before, I'd rather watch them fall on their face trying to do some fresh sci-fi allegory than... well, most other TV I can think of.

There was one part that left a weird taste in my mouth, wherein the Captain unironically gives a lecture about the dangers of pure democracy and champions the concept of representative government as more ethically pure. Bortus then says "a voice must be earned, not given away." Like, what? That's the high horse you want to get on, telling the idiot proletariat they need to shut up unless they've "earned" their voice?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

male pattern baldness is matrilineal

No it's not, not even a little bit.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
There are a whole bunch of genes that are responsible for hair loss. The major ones associated with male pattern baldness are located on the X chromosome. Men can only inherit these genes from their mother; however, it isn't strictly matrilineal because you can inherit the x chromosome of your mother's father or mother and either can contain said genes.

naem
May 29, 2011

i’m glad i’m not going bald because my head is weird and pointy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

can someone draw me a chart on how you can inherit an x gene directly from your mother's father because that sounds loving wild

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I think you are confused

THS
Sep 15, 2017

first you have to gently caress your dad

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghostlight posted:

can someone draw me a chart on how you can inherit an x gene directly from your mother's father because that sounds loving wild

xy
|
xx
|
you

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

McSpanky posted:

The dress uniforms weren't developed yet, and might not even have been conceived of at that point. They first appeared in "Court Martial", a fair number of eps further along in the season.

Nope, Kirk was in gold-braid-trimmed pyjamas in the 2 episodes before where Spock's on trial

Hell even Spock broke out his Sunday best for that occssion

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

xy
|
xx
|
you

but y tho?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure what the problem is because that's exactly how it works.

Father: *50/50 probability passes X or Y*
Daughter: *inherited the X from father, or barring unusual genetic edge cases would have been a son having inherited the Y*
Grandchild: *has a 50/50 of receiving either of mother's X chromosomes, 1 of which was from her father*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

ds9 4x23 - oh cool i was pretty sure this episode was going to end with the evil doctor leading a mob to kill bashir

I kinda liked that episode for showing people trying to make the best of an absurdly awful situation and Bashir's optimism ultimately turning out alright in the end while not disrespecting the right to die on one's own terms

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda liked that episode for showing people trying to make the best of an absurdly awful situation and Bashir's optimism ultimately turning out alright in the end while not disrespecting the right to die on one's own terms

its a good episode

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pick posted:

I'm not sure what the problem is because that's exactly how it works.

Father: *50/50 probability passes X or Y*
Daughter: *inherited the X from father, or barring unusual genetic edge cases would have been a son having inherited the Y*
Grandchild: *has a 50/50 of receiving either of mother's X chromosomes, 1 of which was from her father*

It was a joke about "y"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Well you said the concept itself was ham fisted

Yes, it was a clumsy attempt at social commentary

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yes, it was a clumsy attempt at social commentary

welcome to star trek the orville

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

anyway holy poo poo

:swoon: :swoon: :love: :swoon: :fap: :gay:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Refresh my memory...did Kai Winn know she was banging Dukat?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Gatts posted:

Refresh my memory...did Kai Winn know she was banging Dukat?

No. Not while she was banging him, at least She thought he was just a Bajoran farmer. Her aide finds out he's Dukat, and that they're trying to read the Evil Book, so she kills the aide. Dukat gets blinded and she throws him out. Then later she decides, "Eh, series is ending. Better summon a demon", they make up and they go down to the Fire Caves to set the Pah-wraiths free.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

anyway holy poo poo

:swoon: :swoon: :love: :swoon: :fap: :gay:

hell yeah exactly, dude's smokin af

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Everything I hate about DS9 is directly caused by the pah wraiths :negative: the best Dukat episodes were when he was obviously an rear end in a top hat, but had just enough integrity to like in 'devil you know' way compared to the rest of Cardassia, like when he helped foil the plot to frame the federation for supplying weapons to the Maquis (I think? He definitely helped Sisko stop some cardassian plot. Maybe I should rewatch the series again soon :v:)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey leggy blond you got it goin on

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i like how one episode ends with him about to shoot his own daughter and then the next time he turns up everyone is like 'ah good old dukat, you scamp'

naem
May 29, 2011

imagine marrying that and having 40 years of that waking up next to you every day

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Meh, I'd probably end up getting bored and going to a sex dungeon or something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

naem posted:

imagine marrying that and having 40 years of that waking up next to you every day

Imagine marrying her and then thinking, "Hey, I know what I'm going to do! I'm going to make my beautiful wife go to a sex club with me, and then I'm going to pressure her into having sex in public! With other people! Because this totally won't ruin our marriage or my political career!"

Edit:

Clark Nova posted:

Meh, I'd probably end up getting bored and going to a sex dungeon or something

Dammit, you beat me to it

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/2kA7SFs.mp4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:captainpop:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh i forgot

i absolutely fuckin love the idea that the cardassian idea of a sauna is lying on a nice warm rock for a bit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Everything I hate about DS9 is directly caused by the pah wraiths :negative: the best Dukat episodes were when he was obviously an rear end in a top hat, but had just enough integrity to like in 'devil you know' way compared to the rest of Cardassia, like when he helped foil the plot to frame the federation for supplying weapons to the Maquis (I think? He definitely helped Sisko stop some cardassian plot. Maybe I should rewatch the series again soon :v:)

dukat's way more of a wildcard going in, and that's where he's best imho. a completely separate alignment. ("cardassia, but also im stupid")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

His tough guy approach to the Cardassians and constantly trying to neg them in negotiations was a complete failure as a strategy. He was acting like they were tellarites.

it worked because the Cardassians interpret being an irritable jerk as being down to gently caress