Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What dressing goes well on a Cobb salad? I had Thousand Island at one point and it was alright, but I don't feel like it's the right choice for Cobb.

Also, anyone got some good lentil recipes? I've got an idea to cook them in chicken broth and add peas and such, but that feels a little too simple. Maybe I'll cook up some chicken thigh and add some of that....hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chicken livers make a nice pate also if you need something to do with extra ones.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What dressing goes well on a Cobb salad? I had Thousand Island at one point and it was alright, but I don't feel like it's the right choice for Cobb.

I usually go with bleu cheese.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Chicken livers make a nice pate also if you need something to do with extra ones.

Oh believe me, I like them well enough and have made pate/terrines and just flat up eaten them, but I never really go through them enough and this was just a one off thing.
I used the liver sausage and it worked just fine, though I should probably have used more of it, to be honest.
Oh well, live and learn!

e: also yes to the bleu cheese dressing on a Cobb salad.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Got some cacao nibs at a reasonable-ish price recently and I'm wondering about best uses for them. I've used cocoa powder, blocks of chocolate and (of course) chocolate chips plenty of times before, but this is my first time I've ever bought nibs. How do you more experienced folks generally use them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks for the rec on the Cobb salad dressing! I had it with crumbles of blue cheese originally, didn't think of using the dressing version of it. Should be tasty.

I want to make some sort of curry to use up my chicken thighs, but all the recipes I see out on the internet either use a bunch of ingredients or are weirdly complicated (food processors :wtf:). What's the absolute minimum I need to do to make a curry?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
go easy on the blue cheese dressing, seriously

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

For curries, a food processer really is great for getting smooth sauces. The mini food choppers are like $10 and are great for all sorts of things.

And minimum (basic Indian subcontinent) curry ingredients, at least in my books... whole cumin, cardamom, corriander, and mustard seeds. Whole spices really do taste better. Bay leaf, cinnamon, cilantro. Fresh turmeric, onion, garlic. Maybe tomatoes. Garam masala for a finishing touch. Your local Indian market will have all of these cheap. Walmart might have everything except for the turmeric, so powder would have to work.

Or jars of curry sauce for the gently caress it days

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I want to make some sort of curry to use up my chicken thighs, but all the recipes I see out on the internet either use a bunch of ingredients or are weirdly complicated (food processors :wtf:). What's the absolute minimum I need to do to make a curry?

Fp in lieu of a mortar and pestle. By all means use the latter if you want, but the fp is faster and easier. What kind of curry are you trying to make? Absolute minimum for a curry, say, Indian type, is cumin seeds, black mustard seed, coriander seeds, cardamom pod, fry in hot fat, add minced ginger, garlic, and onion, then add whatever else you want to curry. Add things like mace, cinnamon, clove, fenugreek seeds/leaves, hing, turmeric, bay, etc etc etc.

Thai type you're going to want: Chile, lemongrass, galangal, garlic, shallot, coriander seeds, cumin seeds. Kaffir lime leaf and holy basil are good additions. Coconut milk base, generally. Seasoned with palm sugar and fish sauce.

Japanese, well, you can do it, I've done it, but the Vermont curry roux bricks are just as good and way easier.

You can also use generic powders and pastes. Mae ploy is good. Ca ri ni an do is a good yellow curry powder that crosses genres decently well. The powders will go stale pretty quickly. Sealed tight in the fridge you have a decent shelf life on the pastes. There are also "simmer sauces" but I haven't really found any that were all that great. The pastes are only one step more difficult so I usually just use those.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 21, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

GrAviTy84 posted:

Fp in lieu of a mortar and pestle. By all means use the latter if you want, but the fp is faster and easier. What kind of curry are you trying to make? Absolute minimum for a curry, say, Indian type, is cumin seeds, black mustard seed, coriander seeds, cardamom pod, fry in hot fat, add minced ginger, garlic, and onion, then add whatever else you want to curry. Add things like mace, cinnamon, clove, fenugreek seeds/leaves, hing, turmeric, bay, etc etc etc.

Thai type you're going to want: Chile, lemongrass, galangal, garlic, shallot, coriander seeds, cumin seeds. Kaffir lime leaf and holy basil are good additions. Coconut milk base, generally. Seasoned with palm sugar and fish sauce.

Japanese, well, you can do it, I've done it, but the Vermont curry roux bricks are just as good and way easier.

You can also use generic powders and pastes. Mae ploy is good. Ca ri ni an do is a good yellow curry powder that crosses genres decently well. The powders will go stale pretty quickly. Sealed tight in the fridge you have a decent shelf life on the pastes. There are also "simmer sauces" but I haven't really found any that were all that great. The pastes are only one step more difficult so I usually just use those.

Just to add to this, I spent a while making Japanese curry pretty regularly. The roux blocks really are just as good and way easier, but I like to add some additional cardamom, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, and pepper. Don't bother if you don't already have them on hand, but I just toast them briefly and then whizz in the spice grinder while the chicken is searing and whatnot. Don't forget the grated apple, too.

There's an entire world of Indian dishes that are called curry. The ones that have been posted are good jumping-off points; there's a ton of room for creativity, though, so get creative! There's also a thread here that you might be interested in, Pollyanna.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

Also, anyone got some good lentil recipes?

I think this might be my favorite lentil recipe. Wholesome and simple, it works as a filling lunch on its own with a dab of plain yogurt, or use it as a nutritious side for those chicken thighs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Also, anyone got some good lentil recipes? I've got an idea to cook them in chicken broth and add peas and such, but that feels a little too simple. Maybe I'll cook up some chicken thigh and add some of that....hmmm.

Resident Middle-Easterner here, my go to lentil dish is shorbat adas (or lentil soup). My mum has a recipe that blows me away, and this online recipe that I've made in the past doesn't come close. But it's a great poor person's meal: make this with some rice and you've got tonnes of food that is insanely filling and will keep you going for hours. When money's short, this is my fallback meal, cause a big bag of lentils costs a couple bucks and lasts ages, and rice is cheap too.

For the recipe I linked, I usually chuck in quite a bit more garlic than it says. 1 clove doesn't cut it for me. I also make it a whole onion instead of half an onion, and throw in a teaspoon of garam masala along with everything else. It's great for cooking in large batches too, cause it freezes perfectly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

I find this a bit of an odd question. Kind of like asking what you would do to make dessert: curry is such a catch-all term that it's meaningless to ask how to make curry.

That said, the Guardian recipe for Tikka Masala is pretty good, if completely inauthentically un-Indian.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
does anyone have a good pad thai recipe?

i've tried doing a sort-of hybrid between these two before:
http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/pad-thai-street-food
http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/pad-thai

i couldn't find chinese chives though, and the tofu was normal tofu instead of pressed, but it still turned out okay.

(also, i would love to see a thai thread)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Whatever you do don't use the gws wiki recipe.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

does anyone have a good pad thai recipe?

i've tried doing a sort-of hybrid between these two before:
http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/pad-thai-street-food
http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/pad-thai

i couldn't find chinese chives though, and the tofu was normal tofu instead of pressed, but it still turned out okay.

(also, i would love to see a thai thread)

Alton Brown's

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

Resident Middle-Easterner here, my go to lentil dish is shorbat adas (or lentil soup). My mum has a recipe that blows me away, and this online recipe that I've made in the past doesn't come close. But it's a great poor person's meal: make this with some rice and you've got tonnes of food that is insanely filling and will keep you going for hours. When money's short, this is my fallback meal, cause a big bag of lentils costs a couple bucks and lasts ages, and rice is cheap too.

For the recipe I linked, I usually chuck in quite a bit more garlic than it says. 1 clove doesn't cut it for me. I also make it a whole onion instead of half an onion, and throw in a teaspoon of garam masala along with everything else. It's great for cooking in large batches too, cause it freezes perfectly.

This is right up my alley. I'm going to have to try it soon. Thank you for sharing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's something tasty / interesting to do with chicken legs?

I don't really care for them, and wouldn't buy them normally. However, I'm thinking it may be a lot cheaper to buy chicken if I buy whole and break it down myself for a week's meals. Breasts and thighs are great; I enjoy wings by themselves or could toss them in stock. The legs just seem like too much to waste by throwing into a stock pot.... but I don't enjoy eating them with the bone and tendons (or whatever it is) in there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

This is right up my alley. I'm going to have to try it soon. Thank you for sharing.

Careful walking down this road, next thing you know you'll be making it at least once a week and eating it for days on end.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

woksoflife http://thewoksoflife.com/

David Lebovitz http://www.davidlebovitz.com/

Ruhlman http://ruhlman.com/

Migrationology https://migrationology.com/

from belly to bacon drat I can't find this one anymore :( It was a totally killer charcuterie one.

Foodwishes

to name a few.

A few youtube channels I follow, some have blogs, too:

http://www.ramenadventures.com/

elaine zluo, angel wong, saveur, bruno albouze, mario batali, lynn chen, eater, chefsteps, lucky peach tv, cooking with dog :cry:, maangchi, dumpling sisters, taiwan cooking, cici li, vahrehvah, hilah cooking (semi retired), mama cheung, pailin's kitchen, import food, helen's recipes, panlasang pinoy, xiao's kitchen

Awesome, thanks. I can't believe I forgot about maangchi!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Sounds like you mostly have a texture issue. Id start by deboning them, deboned things/drums have a lot of the same uses as breast, but definitely have more flavor. Then maybe you can work your way into using them bone in over time Thighs are the pro-est fried chicken piece. Can also do hainanese chicken. Marinate it and grill it, works great in "tandoori" style, jerk style, teriyaki, whatever, it's super versatile. Poach it and shred it and add to ramen, congee, cold noodles. Take the cold poached chicken and make chicken salad. Arroz con Pollo. Basic chicken paella. Food process it with liver make boudin Blanc. Grind it and make kebabs, meatballs, yakitori.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Every time I buy chicken thighs with the skin on, I just can't eat it because 1) it smells very weird raw (compared to what I'm used to with chicken breast) and 2) having smelled it when it's raw, it makes it hard for me to want to eat it once cooked. Am I just being a big baby or? Maybe the chicken thighs I'm buying are crap quality, cause when I buy a whole chicken and roast it, I've got no issues whatsoever eating the thighs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Loopoo posted:

Every time I buy chicken thighs with the skin on, I just can't eat it because 1) it smells very weird raw (compared to what I'm used to with chicken breast) and 2) having smelled it when it's raw, it makes it hard for me to want to eat it once cooked. Am I just being a big baby or? Maybe the chicken thighs I'm buying are crap quality, cause when I buy a whole chicken and roast it, I've got no issues whatsoever eating the thighs.

It sounds like a quality or freshness issue, the thighs I buy smell pretty much the same as breasts.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm going with quality issue there. The cheap ones I get at Aldi smell just fine and taste fine, and I am very picky about chicken.

Thanks, Gravity84 for the suggestions on legs. Can't wait to try them!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

QuarkMartial posted:

I don't really care for them, and wouldn't buy them normally. However, I'm thinking it may be a lot cheaper to buy chicken if I buy whole and break it down myself for a week's meals. Breasts and thighs are great; I enjoy wings by themselves or could toss them in stock. The legs just seem like too much to waste by throwing into a stock pot.... but I don't enjoy eating them with the bone and tendons (or whatever it is) in there.

Doro wat!

I don't have a recipe at hand (at work), but it's a very simple dish provided you have the berbere prepared.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.
College Slice
Looking for some advice on cooking utensils. I volunteered to help out at a youth camp over the summer and a lot of my duties will include cooking on large grills and griddles. They said mainly breakfast foods such as pancakes, eggs, sausage etc. as well as grilled items for dinner such as burgers and steaks. I really need help finding a good spatula. Something that can handle cranking out several hundred pancakes and can stand up to the abuse of drops and dings that a novice breakfast cook such as myself will undoubtedly dish out. Suggestions?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What about saving the legs up in the freezer, using them for stock, removing the meat from the legs, and using the meat for another dish?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Pigeon posted:

Looking for some advice on cooking utensils. I volunteered to help out at a youth camp over the summer and a lot of my duties will include cooking on large grills and griddles. They said mainly breakfast foods such as pancakes, eggs, sausage etc. as well as grilled items for dinner such as burgers and steaks. I really need help finding a good spatula. Something that can handle cranking out several hundred pancakes and can stand up to the abuse of drops and dings that a novice breakfast cook such as myself will undoubtedly dish out. Suggestions?

Just go to a commercial kitchen store and buy a couple metal ones

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Doro wat!

I don't have a recipe at hand (at work), but it's a very simple dish provided you have the berbere prepared.

Oh man, I think I might go this route. I have berbere on hand and I love misr wot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks for the curry tips, guys! That's a lot of different ingredients, and that's usually what throws me off. Long ingredient lists are intimidating, and spices in particular I'm nervous about buying a bunch of. I have at most cumin, coriander, and curry powder on hand, all dried. I should take this as an opportunity to get less scared of ingredient lists, though.

I tried some of those jarred curry sauces and...they were pretty disappointing. I'm gonna study this and try and make something really good!!!

Also as mentioned previously, I don't know if anyone else has texture problems with chicken thigh; the texture tastes a little slimy to me, which is really weird and throws me off. I generally try and sear it well on the outside to combat it, but it still shows up sometimes especially in the ligaments/tissue between muscle sections.

Maybe it's gone bad and I just don't notice it :psyduck: Just to be sure, I'll plan to use chicken thigh within 2 days of buying it, and make sure I don't buy stuff close to the expiration date.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks for the curry tips, guys! That's a lot of different ingredients, and that's usually what throws me off. Long ingredient lists are intimidating, and spices in particular I'm nervous about buying a bunch of. I have at most cumin, coriander, and curry powder on hand, all dried. I should take this as an opportunity to get less scared of ingredient lists, though.

I tried some of those jarred curry sauces and...they were pretty disappointing. I'm gonna study this and try and make something really good!!!

Also as mentioned previously, I don't know if anyone else has texture problems with chicken thigh; the texture tastes a little slimy to me, which is really weird and throws me off. I generally try and sear it well on the outside to combat it, but it still shows up sometimes especially in the ligaments/tissue between muscle sections.

Maybe it's gone bad and I just don't notice it :psyduck: Just to be sure, I'll plan to use chicken thigh within 2 days of buying it, and make sure I don't buy stuff close to the expiration date.

If you want a really basic curry you can just use a premade curry powder, it will still taste good, just not as good as one with freshly ground spices. One important step I see missing in a lot of recipes is frying the spices in oil/ghee/whatever, this really brings out the flavor, just be careful not to burn them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you want a really basic curry you can just use a premade curry powder, it will still taste good, just not as good as one with freshly ground spices. One important step I see missing in a lot of recipes is frying the spices in oil/ghee/whatever, this really brings out the flavor, just be careful not to burn them.

Are you not meant to dry-toast spices? I found this interesting article that says the modern fascination with roasting spices before grinding actually completely changes the flavour profile. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can mellow and subdue the flavours you're actually wanting.

As for freshly ground spices, will it still taste good if I buy whole seeds / whatever and grind it up when I need it, as opposed to buying pre-ground stuff? The thing that has stopped me from grinding my own spices is I feel the flavour difference won't be that great if the cumin seeds / etc are sitting in my cupboard for 3-4 months, overtime it'll just end up tasting like regular ground spices.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 23, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uhh that's very good. Grinding your own is good; grinding for each use is better.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nevermind, AVeryLargeRadish is right

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Every spice has eight flavors, which can differ a lot or be very similar, depending on the spice. For example, cumin (list taken from Indian Cooking Unfolded by Raghavan Iyer):

Raghavan Iyer posted:

1. When you use cumin seeds as is, you get their distinctive spice flavor.

2. When you grind the seeds and sprinkle them in a dish, the flavor is more pronounced and quite different: musky and earthy.

3. Take the whole seeds and toast them in a dry pan, with no oil, and you will experience a nutty aroma.

4. Take those toasted seeds and grind them, and they smell nothing like any of their previous incarnations.

5. Heat a little oil and roast the seeds, and you will discover yet another flavor -- almost sweet smelling and smoky.

6. Grind the cumin seeds after you roast them, and they will seem to lose their smoky bouquet.

7. Soak the whole seeds in a liquid, and their presence will be surprisingly subtle.

8. And when you grind cumin seeds after you soak them, they not only take on the liquid's taste but also impart the spice's eighth flavor: The strong nutlike aroma reappears, masked by the infused flavor of the liquid.

Try it sometime. You'll be amazed at how different one preparation of cumin can taste from the others.

There's also a tarka, which is really hot oil or ghee (right under the smoke point) that you fry whole spices in, then pour into whatever you're cooking. It's a way to get a lot of intense flavor into a dish, since the fat carries flavor so well.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Loopoo posted:

As for freshly ground spices, will it still taste good if I buy whole seeds / whatever and grind it up when I need it, as opposed to buying pre-ground stuff? The thing that has stopped me from grinding my own spices is I feel the flavour difference won't be that great if the cumin seeds / etc are sitting in my cupboard for 3-4 months, overtime it'll just end up tasting like regular ground spices.

it will taste better

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Your whole spices will last at least a year for small ones like cumin, things like nutmeg are closer to indefinitely fresh. Ground spices are noticably stale a month after opening.

Protip: shop at an Indian grocer. Youll get more spices than you know what to do with for the price of two jars at a conventional market.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah… for the price of a little jar of ground spices at your average grocery store, you can literally get a bag of unground spices in greater variety.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Paying a visit to my local Indian store tomorrow then, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Mexican and Middle Eastern stores (among others) will also sell lots of spices for cheap. It just depends what sorts of ethnicities have a presence in your area.