Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rhaka posted:

Are there any recommended docks to look into? My GF just received a bunch of screens and a work laptop, and with her personal gear it's all becoming a bit of a mess.

Zenbook Duo 14UX482 is the main machine that will be hooked up to it, with ideally a dock that'd let her hook up two additional displays.

Well it's and Intel CPU, so it supports thunderbolt...4 even, I don't know if any quality TB4 docks exist yet, but this is my go to dock. Lenovo recently pushed a firmware update for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071NWZDJB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

couldcareless posted:

A side gig client of mine is tasking me with finding a laptop for his wife to use for they business when they travel. Really the only stipulation seems to be ~13" screen (nothing bigger), Windows, and travel friendly. Budget can basically go anywhere, but this won't be a power user by any means, just basic MS office web browsing type usage. That said, I want this thing reliable as gently caress so I don't get dumb calls. What's the go to pick for this sorta need?

X1 nano or XPS13

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

couldcareless posted:

A side gig client of mine is tasking me with finding a laptop for his wife to use for they business when they travel. Really the only stipulation seems to be ~13" screen (nothing bigger), Windows, and travel friendly. Budget can basically go anywhere, but this won't be a power user by any means, just basic MS office web browsing type usage. That said, I want this thing reliable as gently caress so I don't get dumb calls. What's the go to pick for this sorta need?

If the budget goes high enough the HP Dragonfly Elite is pretty awesome. The Max model has one of the better webcam/mics on a laptop with a privacy screen that can't be viewed off angle, but if you don't care for that the G2 model comes with an awesome OLED screen.

Probably the nicest business thin and light on the market, but it's very expensive.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I got this MSI GL66 and it seems p deece. I ran a benchmark via TimeSpy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09127DDVT

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/63299118

Anyone know if that's a reasonable result for the spec?

It's only an 85W Max-Q 3070. Kind of a bummer. Wasn't clear from the Amazon listing.

I have a Legion 5 Pro on order since it's $200 off making it the same price as this MSI which I might return. It comes with 2TB of storage and is just a nicer fit and finish and a higher res screen. The MSI has a lot of design quirks that bug me. Touchpad is also super poo poo.

I figure the Legion 5 Pro with a full power 3060 will perform about as well as the Max-Q 3070. And it'll just be a nicer laptop overall...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2021

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Work just delivered my Latitude 3520 today. Really glad I went with the 5521 for my personal machine (though it won't be here until August :suicide:), this thing feels chintzy as hell. It does at least have a number pad, and it's 1080p!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

couldcareless posted:

Latitude 13. The 5 or 7 series iirc.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think my current laptop is finally giving up the ghost, so I'm looking for a new one. I haven't paid any attention to what's going on in the laptop world for years, though.

My laptop is mostly for freelance work, most of which is audio production, so a solid CPU and 8-16G RAM is all I really require, though it'd be nice if I could play fairly-recent games on it too. My current laptop struggles with anything released in the last three-ish years. About the most demanding thing I play is probably Phasmophobia, and it manages to run that but just barely.

~15" would be good, decent storage would be good, though I'd take less storage & an SSD over a high-capacity HDD. It doesn't actually need to be all that light and portable, with my current laptop I lug it around from job to job, but I can mostly keep it plugged in, so it's not a dealbreaker if the battery life isn't fantastic, as long as it'll last at least ~2-3 hours on a charge with battery saver & light use.

Needs to be Windows, and budget is up to ~$2400. Any suggestions?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Went with the XPS 13, thanks for the suggestions!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MockingQuantum posted:

My laptop is mostly for freelance work, most of which is audio production, so a solid CPU and 8-16G RAM is all I really require, though it'd be nice if I could play fairly-recent games on it too. My current laptop struggles with anything released in the last three-ish years. About the most demanding thing I play is probably Phasmophobia, and it manages to run that but just barely.

~15" would be good, decent storage would be good, though I'd take less storage & an SSD over a high-capacity HDD. It doesn't actually need to be all that light and portable, with my current laptop I lug it around from job to job, but I can mostly keep it plugged in, so it's not a dealbreaker if the battery life isn't fantastic, as long as it'll last at least ~2-3 hours on a charge with battery saver & light use.

Legion 5 Pro.
Good build quality.
Just minimalistic enough to get away with work.
Not particularly light or portable.
Great screen and powerful CPU with your choice of GPU.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The Legion 7 just dropped for US release with a 4+ month shipping time. :lol:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

halokiller posted:

The Legion 7 just dropped for US release with a 4+ month shipping time. :lol:

I've read Lenovo's times have been better, just the quoted is far out.

Best Buy is receiving the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 with 32GB of RAM, so I snagged one of those. The Zephyrus series having one of the DIMMs soldered on stinks but goes with the territory of the smaller form factors, just being stuck with 16GB or some weird kinda-sorta dual channel setup if going 24 or 40 would be annoying. I had looked hard at the Legion 7 due to the combo of metal chassis, the 16:10 screen, and vapor chamber setup for cooling.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Looks like the new Alienware x17 has decent thermals under heavy load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLrdCvAk7k

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
G14 is down to $1350 at best buy/best buy ebay. Some of those summer deals are starting to show up. Nature is healing.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hi Thread, I'm looking for a Laptop in the budget of £500-£1000 (can go a little higher), mostly for making managing emails, documents and web browsing easier when im not near a desktop. Phone browsing is fine for short trips but anything longer the small screen size is kind of killing me (even if I bring a bluetooth keyboard). If it could handle some very light old games that'd be neat but i'm really mainly looking for making my browsing experience a little better.

Am I the one person for whom a chromebook is a good idea?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chromebooks are not ideal for games

Most intel i5 powered laptops built after 2014 ought to play anything on steam for under $20 at 60fps full resolution, no problem, without a special GPU

You could probably get away with a refurbished Thinkpad, like a T480, top of the line might set you back 500 euro or brexit bucks or whatever. A new semi durable laptop with an i5 ought to do you good for gaming for a very long time playing older games. If you want to skip out on the games, then yeah just about any Chromebook ought to be fine. The cheaper the better, the $200 chromebooks are practically disposable but are quite responsive when it comes to editing documents and browsing the web

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Chromebooks are not ideal for games

Most intel i5 powered laptops built after 2014 ought to play anything on steam for under $20 at 60fps full resolution, no problem, without a special GPU

You could probably get away with a refurbished Thinkpad, like a T480, top of the line might set you back 500 euro or brexit bucks or whatever. A new semi durable laptop with an i5 ought to do you good for gaming for a very long time playing older games. If you want to skip out on the games, then yeah just about any Chromebook ought to be fine. The cheaper the better, the $200 chromebooks are practically disposable but are quite responsive when it comes to editing documents and browsing the web

Thanks, the game stuff was a bonus it's 90% for editing a few documents, browsing youtube and talking on discord/slack for a perod of time hunching over a phone would suck for.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Hi Thread, I'm looking for a Laptop in the budget of £500-£1000 (can go a little higher), mostly for making managing emails, documents and web browsing easier when im not near a desktop. Phone browsing is fine for short trips but anything longer the small screen size is kind of killing me (even if I bring a bluetooth keyboard). If it could handle some very light old games that'd be neat but i'm really mainly looking for making my browsing experience a little better.

Am I the one person for whom a chromebook is a good idea?

I have an old (2014 model?) chromebook someone gave me, and it's good for just browsing the web and not much else. Anything that has a web interface can also be decent with it—I've edited some word docs just fine—but otherwise don't expect much from a productivity standpoint. Oh, and I've used the chrome remote desktop app to play some visual novels through it before. That's about the most you can expect from a gaming standpoint.

I guess they added android app support at some point, but my model is too old and never received that feature, so I don't know what that's like.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 3, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
On the top end I think you can get a 13" MacBook with an m1 for around 1000 Euros that would be an awesome train device. Again, not great for games but would be a better device than a Chromebook.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The main benefit of chromebooks is that they're dirt cheap. If you're paying more than $300 for one, then you're doing it wrong (and you can get much cheaper than that if you really want). They're crappy little netbooks that let you stream video, shitpost, and chat from bed or on trains in a form factor that isn't as terrible as phones or tablets. If your budget is £500-£1000, then you can get something far better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 3, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

On the top end I think you can get a 13" MacBook with an m1 for around 1000 Euros that would be an awesome train device. Again, not great for games but would be a better device than a Chromebook.

Year this is still 100% my "absolute best laptop at any price" recommendation

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

At that pricepoint I'd assume that's the Air (which is fine by me, no fans means no dust means it'll probalby last an age), My only concern would be swapping ecosystems between desktop and laptop but it's good to know they are highly reccomended

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Stormgale posted:

At that pricepoint I'd assume that's the Air (which is fine by me, no fans means no dust means it'll probalby last an age), My only concern would be swapping ecosystems between desktop and laptop but it's good to know they are highly reccomended

Would be no worse than a phone or Chromebook.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

95% of what I do is either chrome, steam or vs code, which are available for both systems. In fact I can't think of a single proprietary apple software that I use, I'm sure I'll think of something over the weekend.

All my photo, etc backups are on a NAS

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well I got a Legion 5 Pro, it's great! I love it! Except for the constantly-cycling rainbow keyboard backlight. Looking around the internet, it sounds like this is a known issue with them, and Lenovo has basically no consistent solution for the problem. I don't even have the option of just disabling the backlight entirely, so that's fun. Anybody else run into this? I've been fighting with it for a few hours now with no success. I'm not excited to return this thing if I can't get it figured out.

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
Am I crazy or are laptops now legitimate competitors with desktops as serious gaming computers?

I was going to buy a new thin, light laptop for office work and then build a fancy desktop later down the road... but it seems like I could save money by just buying a laptop at around the 1200-1500 price point. Is this right? Or am I mistaken and would it still be more cost effective to build a desktop for gaming and have a laptop for light duty operations. Assume I'm the kind of guy who sometimes does play AAA games and wants them to look good and run smoothly, but doesn't need to have the most notorious AAA game of the day at Ultra settings on a giant monitor.

And if this is right, what models are your top picks right now? It seems like Lenovo Legion and Asus ROG Xephyrus are the names I see the most.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't even have the option of just disabling the backlight entirely, so that's fun.

Does Fn+Space not work for you to switch between backlight modes (one of which being off?)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Does Fn+Space not work for you to switch between backlight modes (one of which being off?)

Nope, doesn't do anything. No options in Vantage, no options in iCue, nothing. I've tried basically every fix I can find online, but even then, I've found a whole mess of forum posts saying it's apparently a common problem with multiple Lenovo models, so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I got a Legion 5 Pro, it's great! I love it! Except for the constantly-cycling rainbow keyboard backlight. Looking around the internet, it sounds like this is a known issue with them, and Lenovo has basically no consistent solution for the problem. I don't even have the option of just disabling the backlight entirely, so that's fun. Anybody else run into this? I've been fighting with it for a few hours now with no success. I'm not excited to return this thing if I can't get it figured out.

I got one too and it's pretty sweet so far. And thankfully my keyboard responds to fn + space... that sounds loving annoying. It was bothering me plenty just during setup. Have you tried doing a clean install of windows?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I got one too and it's pretty sweet so far. And thankfully my keyboard responds to fn + space... that sounds loving annoying. It was bothering me plenty just during setup. Have you tried doing a clean install of windows?

I'm doing that right now, though the keyboard backlight is still cycling while it's installing so I'm not optimistic, it seems like it's stuck in a default or demo mode or something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Clobbermeister posted:

Am I crazy or are laptops now legitimate competitors with desktops as serious gaming computers?

I was going to buy a new thin, light laptop for office work and then build a fancy desktop later down the road... but it seems like I could save money by just buying a laptop at around the 1200-1500 price point. Is this right? Or am I mistaken and would it still be more cost effective to build a desktop for gaming and have a laptop for light duty operations. Assume I'm the kind of guy who sometimes does play AAA games and wants them to look good and run smoothly, but doesn't need to have the most notorious AAA game of the day at Ultra settings on a giant monitor.

And if this is right, what models are your top picks right now? It seems like Lenovo Legion and Asus ROG Xephyrus are the names I see the most.

Yeah a pre-built gaming laptop or desktop is often better value than buying parts at the moment. It’s due to parts shortages and probably won’t change for a year or so. Maybe longer, if manufacturers want to keep the prices high and inflation sets in.

If you don’t have a particular need for a laptop, a pre-built desktop will probably be better value in the long term. You’ll be able to upgrade it further down the road.

Otherwise yeah, the Legion and ROG models have decent build quality.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Clobbermeister posted:

My understanding is laptops can work perfectly fine for gaming nowadays and you will probably manage it cheaper than two machines, especially nowadays with the ridiculous availability and prices of GPUs. In the long run it probably evens out, it's cheaper to keep desktop up-to-date by getting a new midrange GPU every couple years instead of switching a laptop.

But I would still choose two machines, largely because you can get a great thin and light laptop if you forget heavy gaming. Year and half ago I bought a laptop for the first time since finally I managed to get price, specs and need to meet. I bought a 4 year old HP Folio 1020 G1 ultrabook for 300€, new this laptop had probably cost more than 2000€. It has an anemic CPU, but thanks to that it has no fan. It's a sort of uncanny valley experience when you power up a fanless laptop, there is a sense that something is missing. I much rather choose the low performance compared to something like my work laptop which starts whining immediately if the CPU tries to do something, and I start killing offending processes.

Another reason is that it's just nice to have two computers. One computer can be down for updates, OS reinstall or some other maintenance but you can still most things you need computer for.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Keep in mind 'thin and light' gaming laptops as a desktop replacement still means its a bit bulky, tends to run hot, and most weigh 4-5+ lbs.

But yeah, I went the laptop (Legion 5 Pro) route as a temporary desktop replacement until GPU prices normalize and are readily available.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Clobbermeister posted:

Cost is similar, but the desktop will perform better at the same cost.

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
Thanks for all the responses about the state of gaming laptops. That's helpful. I think I will go with a leaner laptop for now then. I'm liking the idea of picking up a refurbished Thinkpad X1 Carbon or Nano from a couple years ago. Is there a dealer for these that you'd recommend? Any words or warning or wisdom on buying refurbished or on what I should look for? I'd be aiming for the $500-$900 range and the primary uses would be Office suite and things at that level of performance demands.

edit: to be more specific... What specs would you prioritize in getting the best bang for the buck? I imagine I can swap in more RAM and a bigger SSD pretty economically, so maybe I should aim for the latest gen laptop I can afford (for things like CPU, ports, monitor) and then replace RAM and SSD myself?

edit2: Looking at this one and this other one on Newegg currently.

Clobbermeister fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 7, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You cannot add RAM to any version of the X1 that I have owned so I would recommend making sure you are comfortable with the amount you buy. 16GB should be plenty. SSD is upgradeable and is a M.2 format drive.

I'd personally pick the most processor and soldered RAM that you can get. The form factor is pretty universally the same. Newer ones have nicer internal displays, which if you're getting a very portable laptop you should be using and therefore has value. (if you're parking the thing on a desk, there are more cost effective, better choices)

not sure what you mean by "ports" but the X1 is pretty limited in that respect. On the other hand, what ports do you actually need? It has HDMI out, a 3.5mm audio jack, and USB A (C if it's new enough). What else are you trying to hook up?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I'm thinking of getting a Lenovo from their outlet; willing to spend 1k. I want it mainly for programming and designing a video game in unity. i figured I just need good ram and storage? Or does using unity make a graphics card necessary

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm not sure if I should ask this here, or in the android thread, but I'm debating on if I should get a budget chromebook or an Amazon Fire 10 with the keyboard case. Basically I'm not looking to spend more than ~250$, and I want something that can pull double duty as a tablet and as a laptop. I use my current tablet as a combination ebook reader and game streaming device (Steamlink, Playstation Remote, etc) and not much else. But I'm starting to get into making my own ebooks, and would like something that's nice to type on so I can correct the formatting errors with the OCR program I'm using. Right now I'm looking at converting a dozen books, and I absolutely do not want to do that on a touchscreen keyboard. I've had a Fire tablet before (the 7, I think) and it was a nice little budget tablet, but it got slow relatively quickly. I just wasn't sure what the current recommendation was, and I'm not finding too many comparison reviews out there.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 8, 2021

Vibben
May 9, 2006

I believe the word you are looking for is "Aaahh"!

Hadlock posted:

I feel that if somehow... someway if Apple can make an M2 MBA with some sort of mechanical keyboard wizardry... It would be my forever daily driver...

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does anyone have any experience with System76 products?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Theotus posted:

Does anyone have any experience with System76 products?

They're, or were, rebranded Clevo units, but it's probably been four years since anyone brought them up

As of four years ago, they were not terrible