Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone noticed invaders recently look more 'normal' than before? At least arbiter spirits look more like they've got a blue sheen than blinding blue nonsense that messes up all fashion.

I like this.

Well that stuff is built in.
The higher rank in the blue/red covenant you are the deeper and brighter your coloring would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

AllisonByProxy posted:

Found this online for those having trouble with the Frigid Outskirts:

Thanks for this, maybe I'll actually give that fight one more shot, now that I actually know where to go.

I wasted something like 3 hours just fumbling my way to the boss fight, thinking there'd be at least a bonfire before it, since getting there from the coffin feels like perhaps the hardest part of all three DLCs. Nope. What's with the blacked-out square in my warp list after all of the DLC locations?

I want to talk so much poo poo about this "conclusion" to the DLC but I'll just get ridiculed, so in short, gently caress the Frigid Outskirts and gently caress reindeer. I was already not too fond of deer based on their whole "we like to jump out in front of your car on the highway" thing. I wish I had a car in the Frigid Outskirts. Or a Jeep. Something with AWD and a very large steel front end.

I will admit, though, From definitely has a good sense of humor with the foreshadowing, by making you jump in a coffin and sled it off a cliff to get there.

Hakkesshu posted:

Literally the only way it could be worse would be if the cold did damage over time.

Can you believe that it was going to before they changed their mind? Either that, or perhaps it was going to slowly drain your stamina, I can't remember.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 4, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If they had designed an actually good area instead of the Frigid Outskirts I would not mind damage or stamina drain over time.
There'd have to be a way to nullify that, such as taking shelter or something during the blizzards and make the blizzards shorter and rarer. A blizzard-ridden Ghost town for instance could have been cool.
I think the last couple pages each contained at least one post with suggestions on how to make that area less horrible. It's a missed opportunity. Really.

Normally when people whine on about areas I silently accept that they are just worse at the game than I am but no matter if you steamroll through the enemies or have trouble with them, this area is so poorly executed. It's the Bed of Chaos of Dark Souls II. Except you can't cheese it by saving and reloading if you don't know exactly what to do.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Man, so I just caved and got a controller (logitek f310) and this poo poo is arguably worse IMO, it feels like my character is 'sticking' to forward, diagonal left and right back diagonal and backwards... I know that was true and worse when I didn't have a controller but somehow it always gets me killed, plus speedy controllering just not happening with controller.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game's analog stick controls are a little bit wonky, the diagonals don't work all that well. I think there's a mod on the ds2 nexus to fix the dead zone but I don't know if it still works or ever did because I haven't tried it!

edit: Apparently it's been put under moderation review meaning you can't currently download it from the nexus so welp :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 4, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm using a Logitech F510 and I basically cannot ever jump attack or guard break. Better to stick to a 30 dollar afterglow xbox 360 controller I think.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Huh. I use a Logitech controller too, and guard breaks and jump attacks have been nearly impossible for me to pull off as well. I didn't realize it was probably a controller issue.

Can't really justify buying a new controller just for one game though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

Huh. I use a Logitech controller too, and guard breaks and jump attacks have been nearly impossible for me to pull off as well. I didn't realize it was probably a controller issue.

Can't really justify buying a new controller just for one game though.

It's also in part due to the input being based on frames so you have less time to input it in the PC version. Unless they patched it.
I can't pull Guard breaks off as reliably on PC with a X360 gamepad than on PS3

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
There's something wonky with the range of some of the short swords. Two or three invaders were using some sword (no the DLC one) and the range on it always caught me off-guard.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

There's something wonky with the range of some of the short swords. Two or three invaders were using some sword (no the DLC one) and the range on it always caught me off-guard.

It's more their speed more than the range- the iffy netcode makes it so phantom slashes/phantom range happens a lot, and since straight swords are so fast alongside having a pretty recent wide/long hitbox, they tend to hit more often in the netcode conditions. The Drakekeeper Longsword has a really long and wide hitbox that tends to cause that, which is why it's so drat good (alongside all the other benefits it's got)

Katanas are pretty much the same- I feel like they've got a bit more 'ghosting' ability though I can't really pinpoint why.

Stuff like lances and rapiers can sometimes have it when directly poking at you directly onwards if you try to do a roll forward/back/backstep, but rolling even a bit to the side tends to avoid that chance for those phantom hits.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy poo poo Aava at NG+4, you can only take two hits on the heaviest armor. That was a good fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sanctum posted:

What have I been doing with my sorcerer this whole time not using the Blue Flame? It has crazy base damage and good INT scaling, plus the damage split is skewed towards INT meaning it benefits from the great magic weapon buff considerably more than a +10 magic-infused weapon. Even in the DLC where everything is highly resistant to magic I find I'm doing as much or more damage than regular +10 weapons. It cuts through non-DLC enemies like butter. Also you can cast yearn while 2-handing which is pretty nifty.

Are there weapons of comparable importance for miracle, hex, and pyro builds?

Black Witch Staff for life. Speaking of, are either of the two staffs added in this dlc worth using? The one doesn't have scaling, cuts your casts by 50%, but buffs them. Without upgrading it seemed almost on par with my BWS +10. It's extremely fragile though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 4, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's also in part due to the input being based on frames so you have less time to input it in the PC version. Unless they patched it.
I can't pull Guard breaks off as reliably on PC with a X360 gamepad than on PS3

I've never noticed a difference between PS3 and PC.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Does anyone know if ascetic-ing the bonfires makes the npc invaders come back? I want to show both the holy barrel knight and the "friendly" white ring knight off to someone else. If yes, which bonfires would those be?

It does, because otherwise it would be completely impossible to grind some of them for drops (WHY IS THAT A THING) and I'm pretty sure that particular phantom is tied to the first bonfire.

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
Are there other PvP hotspots than the Iron Keep bridge? I'm getting mighty tired of that place.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

clearly not a horse posted:

Are there other PvP hotspots than the Iron Keep bridge? I'm getting mighty tired of that place.
There's always Heide. Other spots I've seen signs dropped are: in front of the Dragon Shrine bonfire, around the Cardinal Tower bonfire in FoFG, at the Tower Apart bonfire in Bastille, the open area with the pits right after the Mines bonfire in Harvest Valley, the throne floor at the top of Brume Tower, the first bonfire in Eleum Loyce, and the Grand cathedral in EL. For most of those it will be a crapshoot if anyone is in soul memory range, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I beat the DLCs.

They were fun! I think the DLCs are probably some of the best content the game has to offer. There are a few crappy bosses (the repeat Smelter Demon, Covetous Demon) and a few crappy areas (Frigid Outskirts) but other than that I think they were nothing short of a fantastic addition to an already pretty great game! The extra story stuff the Ivory King DLC tried out was pretty cool even if it was a bit late to the party.

Also, my shot I got of me beating the burnt ivory king was boss as gently caress so I'm including it here for posterity:

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Well I for one don't understand why I'm not seeing more people with dual daggers. What's up with that? Dual daggers are amazing for pve and pvp! With the stone ring, RoB and Flynn's ring, you will become more or less unstoppable! The regular daggers are best because they have high enough damage and 150 counter bonus. Also you can use them from the very beginning of the game and don't have to tear your hair out trying to farm them like the shadow daggers. Just start as a sorcerer, put two points in dex as soon as you get to Majula and take it from there. Make sure to use the L1, R1 combo, which gives you three hits in quick succession and will kill things, including other players, very quickly. Do it!!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Because daggers are small and I must represent myself as big.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I find it really weird that the standard Dagger is actually a fairly rare weapon. If you don't start with one (Sorcerer/Explorer do), there's only one in Things Betwixt, or as phantom drops on NG+ cycles. You'd think such a basic weapon would be sold by Lenigrast or Melentia.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I haven't played since near early release but wouldn't it be a pain to constantly repair fast attack weapons like daggers or short swords in pve?

Aside from the good old mace what are the best pve weapons for new/mid game chars these days?

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Because daggers are small and I must represent myself as big.

Daggers are small and end things very quickly; something I think more people should be ok with.

edit: I'm playing on ps3, and haven't really had any durability issues. Might be more of a thing on pc, but there are fixes for that problem apparently.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 4, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

pmchem posted:

I haven't played since near early release but wouldn't it be a pain to constantly repair fast attack weapons like daggers or short swords in pve?

Aside from the good old mace what are the best pve weapons for new/mid game chars these days?
Longsword. I don't think you can do much better for overall good performance than the Mace or Longsword at a low level. The Shortsword is also really good. Heide Knight Sword under some circumstances, Estoc is also great.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Every time I pick up the Heide Spear I have a hard time putting it down. It does pretty good damage and pokes things dead from a distance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Estoc or Mace is the best early game weapon (and generally good in PvE all throughout). Slash is so incredibly lovely unless it's attached to a high AR weapon, and even then it's working in spite of being a slash weapon. Most of the enemies resist slash to the point that it's pointless to even try.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh, that's not true at all. Slashing weapons do fine damage to everything but the super sturdy guys like Ironclads. Also Rapier is better than the Estoc due to its higher counter bonus.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Tae posted:

Estoc or Mace is the best early game weapon (and generally good in PvE all throughout). Slash is so incredibly lovely unless it's attached to a high AR weapon, and even then it's working in spite of being a slash weapon. Most of the enemies resist slash to the point that it's pointless to even try.

That's a gross misrepresentation of the facts. You'll do fine with slash weapons, even if strike weapons are generally less resisted. For example, dual daggers will melt Smelter. Explain that, science!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Pretty much every weapon is valid. The mace is poo poo in my opinion, though. It caused me more problems than it solved when I used it. But if you want something that reliably damages things you're good to go with a mace. I just hate its moveset.
Both the Mace and Estoc are weapons I'd recommend as a weapon for caster builds because they are decent even without utilizing the scaling to its fullest. That's about the only time I use those weapons over others.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 4, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Wait a minute. Everyone here is talking up daggers, but I thought they just got hit with a big nerf. What specifically was nerfed about them that they're still apparently so good?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CJacobs posted:

Also, my shot I got of me beating the burnt ivory king was boss as gently caress so I'm including it here for posterity:

Kind of looks like he's doing a "this one's me" in death. :D

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dual daggers get outranged and lose on trades pretty badly against other common stuff at the super high SM range so there's that, I guess.

It seems like they've got a ton of recovery on their swings too due to how long the animation takes to attack- the startup is insanely fast, but if you can get them to commit to a swing you can destroy them for it- it's definitely worse than a straight sword swing's recovery because of the three separate swings they have to do every time they want to attack. The poor range on their running attack really hurts them, too.

Then again, I might just be supremely biased towards straight swords and rapiers for PVP. The straight sword/rapier combo has yet to fail me in my endeavors.
It seems like a lot of players swear by greatswords but I really don't know how they get around winnin' with that weapontype- it feels like you really can't be super aggressive with it without risking taking a shitload of damage.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The good greatswords are the ones with the R2 poke, slash combo, you can hit confirm with it really easily and it deals a lot of damage. Also the plain 1hand R1 has a deceptively short recovery time.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

IGgy IGsen posted:

Pretty much every weapon is valid. The mace is poo poo in my opinion, though. It caused me more problems than it solved when I used it. But if you want something that reliably damages things you're good to go with a mace. I just hate its moveset.
Both the Mace and Estoc are weapons I'd recommend as a weapon for caster builds because they are decent even without utilizing the scaling to its fullest. That's about the only time I use those weapons over others.
If you like the Mace but hate its moveset and have the preorder DLC the Homonculus Mace is nearly as good with the Club's horizontal R1 instead.

Or you can use the Club, which is super underrated, but you need high Str for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey so on my latest playthrough (dual daggers, incidentally) some crazy bullshit happened. The textures in the tiny cave between Heide's Tower of Flame and No-Man's Wharf decided not to load for some reason! :psyduck:

I'm gonna agree with Lucatiel on this one.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Buy PS4 controllers for your PC's people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy fuckin crap some of the Wharf's textures didn't spawn in either aaaagh my eyeeessss

edit:

It's like I'm staring into the ark of the covenant.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 4, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
HAHAHAHAHAH those came back eh?

Great job there. :v:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Kind of looks like he's doing a "this one's me" in death. :D

His way of thanking you for offing him.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CJacobs posted:

Hey so on my latest playthrough (dual daggers, incidentally) some crazy bullshit happened. The textures in the tiny cave between Heide's Tower of Flame and No-Man's Wharf decided not to load for some reason! :psyduck:

I'm gonna agree with Lucatiel on this one.

Looks like Super Mario Souls 3D World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jaaam posted:

Well I for one don't understand why I'm not seeing more people with dual daggers. What's up with that? Dual daggers are amazing for pve and pvp! With the stone ring, RoB and Flynn's ring, you will become more or less unstoppable! The regular daggers are best because they have high enough damage and 150 counter bonus. Also you can use them from the very beginning of the game and don't have to tear your hair out trying to farm them like the shadow daggers. Just start as a sorcerer, put two points in dex as soon as you get to Majula and take it from there. Make sure to use the L1, R1 combo, which gives you three hits in quick succession and will kill things, including other players, very quickly. Do it!!

Because they're bad. Any good player will stomp you if you use them by having good physical defense and a weapon without a 3 inch range.

They're neat at least!