Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

bird with big dick posted:

Do you control the knob with your mind because all the knobs I’ve manipulated have definitely required a hand

You mean there's a better way?!

(I meant without needing to reach up to the touchscreen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Cool, gonna keep not caring what I charge up to knowing the owner-facing 100% is really like an 87% or something.

If that were the case I feel like nobody would bother with all these instructions to cap charge at 80% or 90%

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Tiny Timbs posted:

If that were the case I feel like nobody would bother with all these instructions to cap charge at 80% or 90%

Depends on the car but they didn't put a charge controller there for show

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

actually it is illegal to use your hands to control a handsfree headset

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The ID.4 is really, really insistent that you not charge it past 80%, probably VW being a little gun shy about being sued into oblivion.

80% ends up being perfect for me to drive home and back to work, with a buffer if I need to head home for something or other before I charge up again.

Celexi posted:

167 aka the drag strip, with the pavement bouncy that feels like a trampoline, when I go to auburn and don't mind the extra 10 minutes I take 181 from Tukwila to kent to avoid most of it, or i-5 if its unclogged and 18.

I always take I-5 in the mornings (afternoon) and 167->18->I-5 in the evening (middle of the night)

I think being built on a swap might have something to do with 167's shitiness.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Tesla's buffer is at the bottom, but it isn't large or consistent. All of them in reasonable health will drive through 0%, but they will be unable to attain highway speeds and may force shutdown at any time.

That’s every EV though. Don’t go deep if it’s got a lot of miles.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Stellantis small EV have been decreasing their buffers over the years:

Net/gross kWh
2020: 45/50
2022: 46.3/50
2023: 51/54

In the manuals they recommend sticking to 20-80% range if the use allows for it to increase battery life.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of small EVs, the EV hatchback is already loving dead.

Leaf: morphing into a CUV.

Bolt: probably coming back, but definitely as EUV only.

i3: dead

eGolf: dead

List of compact/normal sized cars available in the US at a reasonable price point, as far as I can tell: Model 3, Ioniq 6. That's it, everything else is some sort of CUV bloatmare. And those two are only available in the objectively shittier sedan form-factor. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Polestar 2 and some others come close, Etron/Taycan are priced well outside the range of affordability.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Coming soon is the EX30 and the Fiat 500e. Also a Mini but bad value for most people

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah the EX30 is going to hopefully do really well in that segment. Reviews were super positive and if they can keep the price to what they've said it'll sell like mad.

VW should really make a bonkers eGTI to get the flat brim crowd on board

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I forgot about the EX30, though the price/value on that one seems kinda awful.

Stellantis/Fiat would have to do a lot of convincing to make me buy ANYTHING they make, and I'm doubtful I'd fit in a 500e, but that doesn't rule it out, so another good point.

E: a good eGTI would be awesome, VWs EV platform seems solid, and they're walking back their UI problems.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

EX30 is out:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's 10 inches shorter than a Nissan Leaf, .8 inches taller although almost 2 inches wider.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elviscat posted:

List of compact/normal sized cars available in the US at a reasonable price point, as far as I can tell: Model 3, Ioniq 6. That's it, everything else is some sort of CUV bloatmare. And those two are only available in the objectively shittier sedan form-factor. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Polestar 2 and some others come close, Etron/Taycan are priced well outside the range of affordability.

Polestar 2 is a $40k lease right now - that's the same price range as the Model 3 models, and they're hatchback sedans.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Kona and Niro are the obvious omissions here.

Mini Cooper also has a new EV coming out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

It's 10 inches shorter than a Nissan Leaf, .8 inches taller although almost 2 inches wider.

I'll consider it, but that's dimensionally about the opposite of what I'd want in a hatchback, the Leaf is a perfect size/combination of economy and cargo/people capacity.

QuarkJets posted:

Polestar 2 is a $40k lease right now - that's the same price range as the Model 3 models, and they're hatchback sedans.

The Polestar 2 is nice, but it's a 1000 lbs heavier than the Leaf or Bolt, and visibly fatter. That lease deal is also an aberration from their MSRP, and the the proportions are really bizarre, I know a bunch of Polestar owners and they do seem like great cars though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elviscat posted:

Stellantis/Fiat would have to do a lot of convincing to make me buy ANYTHING they make, and I'm doubtful I'd fit in a 500e, but that doesn't rule it out, so another good point.

After the first couple of months of firmware gremlins, my jeep avenger has been steady sailing. I wouldn't call it a premium ride but it's doable. The new 500 is a decent car from what other users i know told me, the biggest pain point is OTA maps updates require a bit of dealer encouragement to start downloading, mechanic wise it's pretty much sorted out.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
*cough*

Ok so it’s $AU65k and will fit 2 people and a couple of shopping bags in it, but hey!

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I have a Niro, it's fine but the stupid huge wheel arches take up far too much cabin space and it corners like a turd on stilts. It's definitely a CUV.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand the complaint. Almost every cuv is a hatchback. The only vaguely identifying thing about them is the overall height. It's why they are popular and desirable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrox posted:

I don't understand the complaint. Almost every cuv is a hatchback. The only vaguely identifying thing about them is the overall height. It's why they are popular and desirable.

Even hatchbacks look like slammed SUVs nowadays, the design language is so close it's hard to see any special features.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Elviscat posted:

EX30 is out:

Goes to volvo.com.
Good god that is ugly.

I'll take the jellybean over that (Model Y).

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

ilkhan posted:

Goes to volvo.com.
Good god that is ugly.

I'll take the jellybean over that (Model Y).

I also think it's pretty ugly but in a way that I find endearing, same about the new Kona EV.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

I don't understand this concept. A truck is one of the products least in need of flat packing. Much simpler to drive it thousands of kilometers from the factory than arrange to have a huge box delivered and unloaded on your premises. Unless you specifically plan to not manufacture them in Africa so they need to be shipped.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

I also think it's pretty ugly but in a way that I find endearing, same about the new Kona EV.
New Kona stole a bunch of design cues from the Ioniq 5. It looks great imo. Love the front headlights.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I'll consider it, but that's dimensionally about the opposite of what I'd want in a hatchback, the Leaf is a perfect size/combination of economy and cargo/people capacity.

The Polestar 2 is nice, but it's a 1000 lbs heavier than the Leaf or Bolt, and visibly fatter. That lease deal is also an aberration from their MSRP, and the the proportions are really bizarre, I know a bunch of Polestar owners and they do seem like great cars though.

It's the same lease pricing arrangement that they've been doing for the past year+, but yes a Polestar 2 is heavier than a Leaf that's true. In terms of dimensions it's roughly the same, which is what I was thinking about when you said size.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well poo poo my Volvo just started telling me to drive it to a service centre as something is going on with the propulsion. Literally 3 months I have had this car! This really sucks.

I left it parked in my driveway because I couldn’t get it in til tomorrow. Even turning it off the error keeps binging up constantly. I did not put it into the garage in case the battery explodes.

Wonder if something got hit by a chunk of ice or something. I hadn’t driven it in the big snowfall out have taken it out but the roads have been fine. Sigh, Volvo. Not an auspicious start.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is anyone seeing problems in their area where charging cables for public chargers are getting cut off and stolen? It's happening a ton in Minneapolis and wondering if it's a thing happening everywhere or just something messed up here.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Elviscat posted:

EX30 is out:

Has anything changed? They've had the same reservation system in place for months. Have they started delivery in the US?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Vegetable posted:

The last of the 2024 MINI Cooper SE’s are going to be the last small MINI EV for a few years. But yeah they are in the mid $30k’s for now.

The US won’t be getting the J01 Cooper SE until at least the 2027 model year due to tariffs and the initial production run of them being in China.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Well poo poo my Volvo just started telling me to drive it to a service centre as something is going on with the propulsion. Literally 3 months I have had this car! This really sucks.

I left it parked in my driveway because I couldn’t get it in til tomorrow. Even turning it off the error keeps binging up constantly. I did not put it into the garage in case the battery explodes.

Wonder if something got hit by a chunk of ice or something. I hadn’t driven it in the big snowfall out have taken it out but the roads have been fine. Sigh, Volvo. Not an auspicious start.

God drat, that's too bad. Hope its nothing serious like a methhead cutting cat convertor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

God drat, that's too bad. Hope its nothing serious like a methhead cutting cat convertor

lol the car is kept in the garage so probably not that, also it’s very low so probably not likely anyone could get under there easily. The cat seems very hard to get at as well.

My wife’s Hyundai had its cut off in our driveway like a year ago :sigh:

I’m wondering if a chunk of ice hit something or got stuck somewhere it shouldn’t. Will bring it in for diagnostics tomorrow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nitrox posted:

I don't want a taller fatter hatchback, I want a normal sized hatchback.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Is anyone seeing problems in their area where charging cables for public chargers are getting cut off and stolen? It's happening a ton in Minneapolis and wondering if it's a thing happening everywhere or just something messed up here.

Yes, many of the cables around here were recently cut.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

biznatchio posted:

Got this last month but only just learned this thread exists, so here are some recently-new Lyriq AWD Sport 3 pics.

And a walkaround.

A coworker of mine got one of those, in dark blue IIRC. We went to lunch in it the other week, and it's a nice car. The blue accents on the doors and lighting in the cubbies is neat. I love the configurable screens in front of the driver (take note Tesla). That's actually one of the selling points for the coworker. HE traded in his Tesla Model 3 at end-of-lease and opted to get the Lyriq instead due to changes Tesla made to the 3, like no control stalks and insisting on sticking with only the center tablet. He said it's not quite as quick, but plenty fast.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Battery Janitoring:

Every modern EV I know of will help you not have to worry about the battery, except maybe the LEAF :sigh:.

Most will make 100% actually be like 90% or something. Telsa lets 100% be 100%, but automatically turns your max down after a couple days and sends you a little note like "don't make a habit of going all the way up to 100".

But the short version is that this isn't something anybody needs to worry about. Except maybe LEAF owners. Just use the car in the way that works best for you.

(It will work best for you if you plug it in every night)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elviscat posted:

I don't want a taller fatter hatchback, I want a normal sized hatchback.

There are dozens of us.

Anyway there are quite a few EV hatches available out of Europe and China, you just need to be somewhere where there is enough of a market for them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I get home and start my car and take it for a short drive with zero complaints from the computer, I have no idea what the gently caress. Will bring it in tomorrow to get the diagnostic thingie hooked up anyway but hopefully was just some sensor going bananas because a chunk of ice got where it shouldn’t.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I took a few quick photos of my new EV9. See the shared album here.

Let me know what else on it you'd like to see a picture of / know more about. A few quick things you'll see in the photos:

- It's big.
- It has a third row of seats, but in these photos they're folded down to make room for some boxes.
- You'll notice a child seat in that same image. Plenty of room for kiddo.
- I have the GT-Line trim, which has captains chars in the second row instead of a bench. They're very comfortable and there's a ton of room, easily as comfortable as the front passenger seat. They're even heated / air conditioned (in-seat air conditioning that blows air out of the seat itself, not just the normal vehicle climate control).
- You can select the color of the trim lighting inside the car (or turn it off). I do think it looks nice, but it also makes me laugh that my car has l337 gamer RGB lighting.
- One of the small but smart touches I like is the buttons on the side of the front passenger seat - they let someone sitting in the rear adjust the seat in case their knees are being crunched (there's no equivalent buttons on the driver seat since screwing with their chair while they're driving is a terrible idea.) When kiddo is a bit older I do wonder if they'll mess with the buttons though.
- The vehicle next to the EV9 is my 2009 model Rav4. Over 100k miles and still running just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I took a few quick photos of my new EV9. See the shared album here.

Let me know what else on it you'd like to see a picture of / know more about. A few quick things you'll see in the photos:

- It's big.
- It has a third row of seats, but in these photos they're folded down to make room for some boxes.
- You'll notice a child seat in that same image. Plenty of room for kiddo.
- I have the GT-Line trim, which has captains chars in the second row instead of a bench. They're very comfortable and there's a ton of room, easily as comfortable as the front passenger seat. They're even heated / air conditioned (in-seat air conditioning that blows air out of the seat itself, not just the normal vehicle climate control).
- You can select the color of the trim lighting inside the car (or turn it off). I do think it looks nice, but it also makes me laugh that my car has l337 gamer RGB lighting.
- One of the small but smart touches I like is the buttons on the side of the front passenger seat - they let someone sitting in the rear adjust the seat in case their knees are being crunched (there's no equivalent buttons on the driver seat since screwing with their chair while they're driving is a terrible idea.) When kiddo is a bit older I do wonder if they'll mess with the buttons though.
- The vehicle next to the EV9 is my 2009 model Rav4. Over 100k miles and still running just fine.

Extremely cool. I have a deposit down on one but dunno if I will go for it just due to potential other big purchases (looking for a larger house etc).

Any sense of how they're selling ie were the dealers doing any kind of negotiation or was it msrp or +? I'm curious how motivated they are to deal it might swing me into going for it.