Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Stop making me regret spending money on transient material things in a finite world ACES, it's Christmas time for crying out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Amon: With everyone else dead, they have to focus on me now, right?

(It watches as everyone descends upon Andromalius and continues to ignore it.)

(A single sparkling tear made of the blood of orphans rolls down from its many eyes)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i've been farming it so i can boost ozy and lucha sister

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Cheer up Amon! At least the dev autokill bots still want you dead!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I actually HAVE been focusing Amon, because I wanted Rider Gems for Skills.
I'm sure I'm not alone! There must be literally dozens of us!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I need medals to feed into Lancelot's gaping maw.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Crasical posted:

:hfive: Same. Out of what's left, I need rider gems more immediately than anything else.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crasical posted:

Hello we are the same

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Karna and Arjuna fighting on the same side. :allears:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

MonsieurChoc posted:

Karna and Arjuna fighting on the same side. :allears:

Karna boasting about how he breaks the Lancer E-Rank Luck curse by having the best masters :unsmith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Transient People posted:

Karna boasting about how he breaks the Lancer E-Rank Luck curse by having the best masters :unsmith:

You took all his E-rank luck, being the sole surviving Master who has to unfuck everything.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Argas posted:

You took all his E-rank luck, being the sole surviving Master who has to unfuck everything.

Hey man, I get to hang out with a bunch of crazy, awesome, and crazy awesome people who all want me, plus I got to Five Star Frog Splash a Luchedor Goddess. I consider myself drat lucky.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

In "Interesting Times", by Terry Pratchett, barbarian hero Genghis Cohen hears about the titular curse ("may you live in interesting times") and proudly answers that he always lives in interesting times.
Gudako would heartily approve.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

Once again, the real shame is that NA will, barring major changes in the future, always be two years behind JP. Any outsider looking in on the situation would be disgusted and immediately turned off and away by the content gap between the two regions, because it is a terrible situation.
uhhh.... what?

fgo isnt a game about Content, its a game about story. the gameplay is kinda fun but its not like theres any endgame loop to sustain or any massive dungeons we're missing out on. it's a visual novel with a slot machine attached. its not like we're missing out on any transformative gameplay, and I'd rather they take their time to translate things. Who here is crying tears of blood because we don't have *checks notes* the button that tells you how many horseshoes you have when a horseshoe drops

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is DISGUSTING that these giant walls of text werent immediately translated by a giant robot pressing the 'translation' button

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Have you considered they might have been including Story when they said Content?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Golden Battler posted:

Have you considered they might have been including Story when they said Content?
it requires time to translate the story, even the servers that are rushing through things are still well behind jp and always will be. There is no universe where any of the servers started years after JP will ever be up to date with JP, just because of how much text there is to translate and the fact that they're running from behind while JP keeps adding more and more things to translate. Words like 'disgusted' and 'terrible situation' implies some ridiculous kind of malice or negativity to that fact.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 26, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't want it to go faster because it's already hard enough to save free SQ and I want that decent shot at the Shimosa banner and Ereshkigal next year.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Yeah I don't disagree with most of that, I just couldn't help but think "it seems weird to me to distinguish 'story' as being different from 'content' somehow and I'm not sure that was their point".

Just being pedantic, I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yes but consider:

NA will have to exist for 2 more years without being graced with the splendour of Every Single Martial Art (Horse)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Golden Battler posted:

Yeah I don't disagree with most of that, I just couldn't help but think "it seems weird to me to distinguish 'story' as being different from 'content' somehow and I'm not sure that was their point".

Content is what comes between the ads.

Pureauthor posted:

Yes but consider:

NA will have to exist for 2 more years without being graced with the splendour of Every Single Martial Art (Horse)

Disgusting IMHO.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Endorph posted:

it requires time to translate the story, even the servers that are rushing through things are still well behind jp and always will be. There is no universe where any of the servers started years after JP will ever be up to date with JP, just because of how much text there is to translate and the fact that they're running from behind while JP keeps adding more and more things to translate. Words like 'disgusted' and 'terrible situation' implies some ridiculous kind of malice or negativity to that fact.

I don't believe anyone expects to be caught up with Japan and releasing content simultaneously. Games like Fire Emblem Heroes can pull it off because they were planned to be Global from the start, and FEH's entire story so far can probably fit in the intro sequence for Nero Fest in terms of word count. But being even just 1 year behind instead of 2 would already be a huge help.

And of all the logistical issues, (Such as having to adjust event rewards so they can be compressed, reducing down time without speeding up the pace too much for some people, and pacing the banners in a way that doesn't make it impossible to save for them as F2P.) translation is the probably the easiest to solve. Hire a few more translators, (And maybe finally teach one of them how to use spellchecker software.) and create smaller groups spread over future content, preferably with an actual editor now. It's not like the translation styles would have to perfectly match since well, the original singularities and events all were written in different styles regardless.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 26, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno, i could get those complaints when we were stuck in london, but we've hit the Good Video Game part of FGO and it will continue to be Good Video Game. And if there's anywhere I'd want them to cut time, it'd be JP's 2018, because wooboy was there a content drought on JP for large portions of this year.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We already have South Korean version to observe how "catch up to JP, screw everything else" would look and it ain't a pretty sigh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It was not fun having Onigashmia ongoing while Camelot was released, followed by Summer 3 days later.

The banner available at that moment was Raikou, Camelot 1, Anniversary, Summer part 1.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You still have to have a coordinator making sure that the content is actually consistently written (wrt terms, technobabble, names etc.). This is incredibly important to have, so uh, you can't escape the translation bottleneck without compromising on quality. Hiring more translators doesn't help. Most translation projects have 1-2 people assigned to them because of this consistency and familiarity with the text issue especially in the context of a game like this where it's incredibly easy to get lost in jargon.

I can also guarantee the playerbase would be frothing if you changed up the banners in the name of pacing because people are approaching the game with a certain plan in mind, and several of these banners have limiteds that only show up a couple of times in the lifetime of the game period.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

You still have to have a coordinator making sure that the content is actually consistently written (wrt terms, technobabble, names etc.). This is incredibly important to have, so uh, you can't escape the translation bottleneck without compromising on quality. Hiring more translators doesn't help. Most translation projects have 1-2 people assigned to them because of this consistency and familiarity with the text issue especially in the context of a game like this where it's incredibly easy to get lost in jargon.

Having an editor familiar with the Nasuverse is of course a key factor here, but that's not some insurmountable and daunting task.

The Nasu arcanobabble can very easily be turned into a glossary, and in cases where it's static, even implemented into an auto-replace. (Hey another reason to use spell-checking software! That's a win/win!) Most translation projects are dealing with original text that's in a singular writing style, so keeping it equally homogeneous when translating is paramount, whereas FGO has very different writers with very different styles taking turns with major story chapters and events, so perfectly consistent styles are not at all a requirement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, the JP isn't incredibly consistent in base writing style (especially when you get to the more esoteric stuff, like whatever the hell the guy who wrote Salem was on), but things like speech patterns and the phrasing around certain words/phrases are very, very consistent. Even in Salem, Robin Hood's written basically the same way he has been since Fate/Extra, down to his word choice and the rhythm of his dialogue. I have to imagine they employ people on the Japanese side to make sure of that stuff.

Plus there's' stuff like injokes and running gags that carry across events/singularities, flashbacks, places where the characters paraphrase what other characters were saying, etc. You can't just ignore consistency because multiple people wrote it.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
5M more QP and Medb can finally be 10/10/10. Leveling her charm skill feels mostly like a waste, and I should have been saving those lanterns for Nero Bride or Helena, but I'd like the queen to be complete.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

5M more QP and Medb can finally be 10/10/10. Leveling her charm skill feels mostly like a waste, and I should have been saving those lanterns for Nero Bride or Helena, but I'd like the queen to be complete.
She gets a strengthening later that also gives it a 20%-30% defense down, so there's that at least.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sophism posted:

Hire a few more translators, (And maybe finally teach one of them how to use spellchecker software.) and create smaller groups spread over future content, preferably with an actual editor now. It's not like the translation styles would have to perfectly match since well, the original singularities and events all were written in different styles regardless.
Translation, like software programming, is one of those things that can't become faster just by hiring more people.

I finally leveled Nightingale skills to 10/10/10. Now I Just need NP5 from the GSSR gacha

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 26, 2018

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I got the loving fairy man

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You got a dude who banged fairies?

Grats on your Cu.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Tae posted:

It was not fun having Onigashmia ongoing while Camelot was released, followed by Summer 3 days later.

The banner available at that moment was Raikou, Camelot 1, Anniversary, Summer part 1.

How does SK handle obvious holiday events? Do they just throw summer in January and Halloween in March?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

Translation, like software programming, is one of those things that can't become faster just by hiring more people.

If we were talking about translating the original Fate VN, or CCC or whatever, absolutely.

But with the way FGO is structured, it's apples and oranges.

Speaking of structure, here's hoping future story chapters don't try to force both time and kills gating mechanisms on the player base again... especially not during the holidays, and super especially not when they also artificially fudge the numbers constantly.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 26, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Billzasilver posted:

How does SK handle obvious holiday events? Do they just throw summer in January and Halloween in March?

They don't care because SK is in direct competition with the japanese version since they're a third party that is licensing FGO. The reason they speed things up is because otherwise their player base would just play the JP version next door.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

aniplex is never going to invest the resources it would take to expand translation efforts without destroying quality, so

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You got a dude who banged fairies?

Grats on your Cu.

Actually, I think he’s talking about Caesar

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sophism posted:

If we were talking about translating the original Fate VN, or CCC or whatever, absolutely.

But with the way FGO is structured, it's apples and oranges.

disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait until this dude finds out f/sn, ccc, and f/ha had multiple writers too