Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

That's great news that you're taking care of yourself. Take solace in the fact that you're so close to completing He-Man Classics! <3

LoL, currently negotiating on 7 of the Filmation ones. I should slow down but worked OT this week and have the money so why the gently caress not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
FYI for those interested, looks like the Haslab Galactus was fully funded today and is on track to unlock the first tier, Frankie Raye Nova, which Hasbro has said is the only way to get her (lol doubtful). $400 seems reasonable for an almost 3 ft tall toy and I bet down the line that Nova will fetch a good price on the aftermarket.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
On that note, anyone interested in a Marvel Universe Galactus? I have one I’m looking to unload.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Louisgod posted:

FYI for those interested, looks like the Haslab Galactus was fully funded today and is on track to unlock the first tier, Frankie Raye Nova, which Hasbro has said is the only way to get her (lol doubtful). $400 seems reasonable for an almost 3 ft tall toy and I bet down the line that Nova will fetch a good price on the aftermarket.

I've been having this weird debate in my head about the Haslab Galactus. If I got one of them, well, that's the most money I've ever put down for a single figure before. Now I really like Galactus, and he's pretty much the only Haslab project I can think of that I'd ever go in one. And while it's not like buying this guy puts me in any hole, but I have a bunch of older toys I've been meaning to sell anyway so I could probably recoup the cost if needed. But.... if I buy two.... well now hey, a mint sealed Galactus is probably going to go for a lot of money down the road. If I buy two.... I'd basically be MAKING money, you know?...

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been having this weird debate in my head about the Haslab Galactus. If I got one of them, well, that's the most money I've ever put down for a single figure before. Now I really like Galactus, and he's pretty much the only Haslab project I can think of that I'd ever go in one. And while it's not like buying this guy puts me in any hole, but I have a bunch of older toys I've been meaning to sell anyway so I could probably recoup the cost if needed. But.... if I buy two.... well now hey, a mint sealed Galactus is probably going to go for a lot of money down the road. If I buy two.... I'd basically be MAKING money, you know?...

I understand and see your logic, but all I can think is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB1NCuvYPpM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Speaking of preorders, does Goodsmile ever reopen preorders or if you miss it are you just out of luck?

Because I saw that the preorder bonus for the Nadeshiko Figma is her gas lantern and that's like the most important accessory that figure could have.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

RevKrule posted:

I understand and see your logic, but all I can think is this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB1NCuvYPpM

Pretty much why I’m only going for one, I think. I’ve budgeted for one, I could swing two, but if I’m selling that bad boy then there’s a lot to consider:

A) I’ve got to store him for a while and I barely have space for the stuff I’m keeping, and he’s got to be somewhere that has zero chance of box or figure damage

B) Shipping him would be a nightmare and I’d be on pins and needles until he arrived safe and sound at wherever he was going

C) I’m hoping against hope that whoever buys him isn’t a complete piece of poo poo that would claim he didn’t arrive or was otherwise damaged and screw me out of the sale, making all the hassle above null and void

If I’m pessimistic enough about all of it then maybe I can convince myself to stick with my one :shepspends:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

It's the most money I've put down too and I don't have much of an interest in Galactus but am getting one because 1) I have tons of money, 2) I may really get in Galactus since I have the new FF4 wave pre-ordered, 3) it's cool as gently caress and gently caress everything it's just money who cares we're all going to die in like 12 years anyway

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Can I have some of your extra money? I have lot of other toys you don't need, if you're interested...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Can I have some of your extra money? I have lot of other toys you don't need, if you're interested...

Yes but only when I add a 4th bedroom to my house to house all of these new toys

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
The MOTU Origins Battlefield set keeps popping in and out of stock on Target's website. Farthest I've gotten is the complete order screen before being told it's sold out again.

Please let me give you money for shiny plastic He-mans, Target.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hasbro finally revealed their Excalibur 3-pack of Captain Britain, Meggan and Shadowcat in her blue costume and I'm so loving stoked as they also confirmed they'll eventually get to Rachel Summers too. It's extremely confusing and weird to see the Legends team be so passionate about completing classic teams when Toybiz was poo poo at it.

so good

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That's my favorite kitty persona but come on, how long till we get a Betsy Britain fig with sword and shield?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hopefully they do a HoX wave two with Betsy Captain Britain, Captain Kate, and Red Bishop.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Hasbro finally revealed their Excalibur 3-pack of Captain Britain, Meggan and Shadowcat in her blue costume and I'm so loving stoked as they also confirmed they'll eventually get to Rachel Summers too. It's extremely confusing and weird to see the Legends team be so passionate about completing classic teams when Toybiz was poo poo at it.

so good

I love that I can complete teams like this with only a few figures, or that there’s dedicated waves of AoA so it’s super easy to collect. Toybiz was so wildly unfocused and all over the place, and a lot of those figures are really rough to look at nowadays, even the ones I loved like Power Man & Iron Fist.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finally have all of my figuarts Super Sailors

I wish the effect part for Love and Beauty Shock looked a little better but it would be hard to communicate in toy form.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That's a great one, but yeah effects either work or don't with Figuarts/Nendoroids/etc.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
These are the whole teams in their Animation Color Edition original outfits and their Super Sailor forms.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Those are dope, I really dig how vibrant they are.

It’s always a great feeling when you can complete a whole team.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What I really appreciate about modern figures is that they actually look like the characters. As an old most of the figures that were based on show/movie characters were always vaguely similar at best.

This coming from a guy who mostly collects goofy monsters that are not screen accurate at all and in garish colors.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, I have a book (in Japanese, which I can't read) that I think is supposed to be photos of all of the official SM merchandise that's been made and its wild looking at how the original stuff looked. Like they only were given a vague description of stuff and tried their best.

I took photos of the rest of my displayed Sailor Moon collection. My apartment is probably somewhat to Sailor Moon as Rhyno's is to He-Man, though I might one up them by having a tattoo of the planetary symbols on my arm.

The only figuarts ones that I don't have some version of are Sailors Pluto and Saturn (who I have the new versions on preorder) and Sailor Chibi Moon. Chibi Moon seems to be really hard to get now and there are no listings on Mercari or ebay for new ones that I trust to not be knockoffs. Even though I open everything, I don't really like buying opened things after a few really bad experiences.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was wondering if you had a dedicated Sailor V!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I have never seen Sailor Moon but those figures are really beautiful. If anybody made a Princess of Power line in a similar style, it would probably be the best toy line ever.

Also I agree that modern action figures are really impressive in terms of art and engineering, in general. It's been really interesting to see the evolution over time. I've said this before, but McFarlane really raised the bar in those early years with sculpts and paint that were accurate to the source material in a way nothing had been before, and I think credit goes to Toy Biz for the huge innovations in articulation that happened soon after (though they were inspired by high-end 12" figures), and the Japanese collector market definitely pushed the envelope in terms of overall quality, plus modular designs and swappable parts. The past decade has seen a pretty amazing synthesis of all these ideas to the point where even cheap mass retail toys are leaps and bounds ahead of where they used to be.

I think the old Playmates Star Trek line also deserves a shout-out for targeting adult collectors directly, which was an unconventional move at the time. I think their success paved the way for a lot of cool stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don’t forget to check Mandarake and Amiami preowned for import stuff.

Shiroc posted:

I finally have all of my figuarts Super Sailors

I wish the effect part for Love and Beauty Shock looked a little better but it would be hard to communicate in toy form.

Oracle mode Futaba uses the same kind of piece for her effects, but because the design on it is full circle it works much better.

Sanschel posted:

Those are dope, I really dig how vibrant they are.

It’s always a great feeling when you can complete a whole team.

I’m glad Persona 5 ended up being one of the lines figma actually completed.

Except for Kasumi.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 27, 2021

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Those sailor moon figures are great! I considered buying my old favorite (Jupiter) but one more collecting avenue was a bridge too far

At the time

Cause I just bought this art toy

Gatos, you absolute madlad, I blame you. Not really, of course, but goddamn this hobby is way too expensive to be sustainable.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Cause I just bought this art toy

Gatos, you absolute madlad, I blame you. Not really, of course, but goddamn this hobby is way too expensive to be sustainable.

Yeah I want to get a blank or two of that guy to paint.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

i got a lewis knight, inspired by the lewis chessman, from yuck toy co

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I found the DC Multiverse The Demon figure today. It is a very nice looking figure. However, the arms aren't great. There's no bicep articulation, I assume they didn't want to cut up the chainmail sculpt and the elbows move maybe two degrees due to the arm guards. It does look really good standing here on my desk. If you get one, just don't expect to get any cool sword wielding poses out of it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, I've kinda asked about this before in this thread, but basically I want to start selling off some of my old toys. I think I'm going to try Mercari. Problem is.... I've pretty much never shipped anything before. No experience in sending anything larger than an envelope. I've sent stuff back to Amazon before, but that's not really the same thing. So let's say I sell a figure, and let's say for the purposes of this theoretical I don't have any spare boxes to use... what do I even do? I'm not even sure if I should be going to UPS or Fedex or what. I live in the US if that makes a difference.... is there a good resource to learn what to do?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Take the figure, go to a ups store, buy a box that fits, give them the address, pay for shipping and boom. That’s it.

You’ll get a tracking number you can give to your buyer.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

OK, I've kinda asked about this before in this thread, but basically I want to start selling off some of my old toys. I think I'm going to try Mercari. Problem is.... I've pretty much never shipped anything before. No experience in sending anything larger than an envelope. I've sent stuff back to Amazon before, but that's not really the same thing. So let's say I sell a figure, and let's say for the purposes of this theoretical I don't have any spare boxes to use... what do I even do? I'm not even sure if I should be going to UPS or Fedex or what. I live in the US if that makes a difference.... is there a good resource to learn what to do?

You can also buy boxes at Office Depot type stores as well. You can use newspapers for padding as well.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Don't forget to post what you're selling first.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Are they loose or in the box? Loose are so much easier to ship, you can just wrap them in a plastic bag and bubble wrap, throw them in a small bubble mailer, and drop it off at the USPS automated machine and call it good. Hit up Dollar Tree or something for cheap boxes and/or bubble mailers. Only thing to keep an eye on are shipping costs, which are insane right now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Don't just mail figures in a bubble mailer even if they are lose. Use a box.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they are use, depending on what they are, try to use baggies too. Just extra protection and keeps them in one spot

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Don't just mail figures in a bubble mailer even if they are lose. Use a box.

Box shipping can add up but if you pack figures in a bubble mailer well they'll be just fine. I generally put them in a small sandwich bag, wrap a plastic shopping bag around it, put extra bubble wrap in there, and call it good. Never have had a figure break or get damaged. Fully depends on the type of figure you're shipping though.

e: when shipping to goons I usually include less piss than I normally do.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

People don't usually add shipping costs to the price of the toy they're selling, then? You just kinda know that when you sell something, the actual amount you are getting is $whatever you sold it - $shipping costs.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Louisgod posted:

so good

This is great; I'll be getting both this and the X-Force one. I hope Rachel is not that far off, along with the boys for New Mutants, Rahne for X-Factor and Feral for X-Force. I need those complete teams.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

radlum posted:

This is great; I'll be getting both this and the X-Force one. I hope Rachel is not that far off, along with the boys for New Mutants, Rahne for X-Factor and Feral for X-Force. I need those complete teams.

I'm hopeful but doubtful we'll get a new Wolfsbane figure considering we kinda got her in the Dani set but both Feral and Siryn are a given. Really hope we get Random to complete X-Factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People don't usually add shipping costs to the price of the toy they're selling, then? You just kinda know that when you sell something, the actual amount you are getting is $whatever you sold it - $shipping costs.

Asking price plus shipping is pretty common.