Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'd dual wield a Murakumo and the Curved Nil but the weight's a bit restrictive.

Then do it naked, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Seriously, cutting back on armor is a pretty great way to do things. I've been running around with nothing but pants for my Dual Cestus run and I didn't really feel like I took unbearable amounts of damage. Still able to take at least two hits from bosses and several from normal enemies.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The biggest reason to not go naked is because it doesn't go with anything but boxer, barbarian, and creepy stalker invader person.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

There isn't one meaningful thing to talk about in a thread about a videogame. All discussion in this subform is by definition trivial. Nitpicking over builds and preferences is all we've got.

Additionally there's a maxim in the poker world that the most vehement arguments are over the smallest differences. After all, if there were a large difference no one would really argue. Obviously most weapons in DS2 are totally viable for PVE and you can just use what's fun. When someone asks you what the best weapons are in a game world like this they're asking you to split hairs.

What I'm saying is that THE MACE IS OBJECTIVELY THE BEST AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH INTIMIDATING COPRENICUS

NO

Sheep-Goats posted:

There isn't one meaningful thing to talk about in a thread about a videogame. All discussion in this subform is by definition trivial. Nitpicking over builds and preferences is all we've got.

Additionally there's a maxim in the poker world that the most vehement arguments are over the smallest differences. After all, if there were a large difference no one would really argue. Obviously most weapons in DS2 are totally viable for PVE and you can just use what's fun. When someone asks you what the best weapons are in a game world like this they're asking you to split hairs.

What I'm saying is that THE MACE IS OBJECTIVELY THE BEST AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH INTIMIDATING COPRENICUS

YEAH WELL I PICKED THE MACE ON MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH BEFORE READING ANYTHING ONLINE SO I WAS IN ON THE COOL poo poo FIRST

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flytrap posted:

The biggest reason to not go naked is because it doesn't go with anything but boxer, barbarian, and creepy stalker invader person.

Exactly my sentiment.
I really like my Retainer Robe and Rampart Golem gauntlets. They go together so well. Still looking for a good leg part though.

Fashion before function.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
lol, I just realized the lightsaber you get from Aava's soul does strike damage instead of slash. Welp, now I have one good reason I held onto it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I can't quite seem to understand what the mundane enhancement does. It cuts down on base damage for a weapon, but allows it to scale up with your lowest stat? If you have two stats at say a 5, will it draw bonuses from both of those? I'm not really sure how it works.

Also, in the Cardinal Tower, when you run up the tree root, to the right there's a bunch of rocks blocking off an archway. It looks as if there's something beyond it. Is there someway, eventually, to destroy those rocks, or is it just set dressing?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Detective Thompson posted:

I can't quite seem to understand what the mundane enhancement does. It cuts down on base damage for a weapon, but allows it to scale up with your lowest stat? If you have two stats at say a 5, will it draw bonuses from both of those? I'm not really sure how it works.

Also, in the Cardinal Tower, when you run up the tree root, to the right there's a bunch of rocks blocking off an archway. It looks as if there's something beyond it. Is there someway, eventually, to destroy those rocks, or is it just set dressing?

No, only one. Mundane can get massive scaling off of your lowest stat with the soft cap at 30 as your lowest. It's best placed on fast weapons with poo poo or no scaling, and then its only really worth considering by the time your lowest stat is 20.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Detective Thompson posted:

Say you have all your stats at 99 because you're a dogshit tryhard. What infusion should you choose to minmax?!

It can also be good on fast weapons. Before From fixed it you could get a disgusting +200 damage PER HIT buff on things like dual avelyns, the tinkity-tinkity-tink multi-hit Santiers attack, or dagger R1 spam. One R1 in those days could be an easy 1800 damage. Because that's broken and because no one can figure out a way to make mundane useful without that broken poo poo returning it's now mostly not useful. There may be summer exceptions I'm not aware of. Until someone else tells you what they are just consider it to be what thirteen year olds with maxed characters choose because it makes big numbers appear on their TV.

You can get behind the rocks kind of. In the pit to the right there's an archer on a platform that you have to jump from the house roof to get to. Kill him, then drop down and explore the area. After you enter the little cave make sure you SPRINT forward to the item.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 5, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Mundane was way better before the DLC because certain weapons weren't nerfed and Flynn's didn't exist. RoB2 + Flynn's is comparable or better bonus AR on almost everything compared to Mundane + RoB2, even at 99 in every single stat. I'm not even kidding by the way; the scaling on most things is just better than Mundane with a max level character except on certain very weak, very fast weapons. I think it's a slight boost to the Espada Ropera, a wash on the Shortsword, and worse on basically anything bigger.

Granted, Flynn's does impose a limit to your Vitality but it definitely kills the appeal of Mundane. Nerfing daggers with it just makes me care even less about it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What the gently caress. I got a longsword off the neat looking chest in Cale's mansion, murdered like 5 skeletons to get to it. I feel like i got had here. Where are my reskinned weapons that i'll probably never use?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

What the gently caress. I got a longsword off the neat looking chest in Cale's mansion, murdered like 5 skeletons to get to it. I feel like i got had here. Where are my reskinned weapons that i'll probably never use?

The longsword is the current reskin in the chest. You can't get the other two anymore, they were only there for a limited time.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

Whip it out, it's blue!

WHOAH :2bong:

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Another great weapon combination: majestic greatsword + bone fist. That's some fun poo poo right there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My internet connection is half garbage so PVP is always laggy as poo poo and it's awful but every once in a while I have a great fight and it makes me keep spending hundreds of thousands of souls on those stupid cracked red eye orbs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Personally, I have been impressed with the sort of damage a +5 Magic Ice Rapier with Crystal Magic Weapon, Ring of Blades, Flynn's Ring, and the Old Leo ring puts out. Today I've been playing a naked stick-thin Indian-looking dude with white hair named "The Yogi" who pokes things super-loving hard with that setup.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 5, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My only character that has Flynn's Ring, or is anywhere close to getting it, is SL500. Welp. So tell me, can you wear Alva's set + Syan helmet with the base Knight Endurance without fatrolling? Dunno where the hell can I do this calculation.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Personally, I have been impressed with the sort of damage a +5 Magic Ice Rapier with Crystal Magic Weapon, Ring of Blades, Flynn's Ring, and the Old Leo ring puts out. Today I've been playing a naked stick-thin Indian-looking dude with white hair named "The Yogi" who pokes things super-loving hard with that setup.

No Magic Clutch Ring 2/10

Also just gonna say Loyce Greatsword is still an amazing weapon and everyone should try it out. Such a good greatsword.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was just experimenting with Ice Rapier magic infusion, and my results weren't exactly one-sided. I was using 20 STR/24 DEX/53 INT and casting great magic weapon buff, and I made sure to note the damage of both a counter and non-counter R1 attack. What I found was:
  • The ice warriors in the DLC took more damage from a regular Ice Rapier +5, whereas the Magic Ice Rapier +5 was hitting them for ~15% less
  • The dogs and scythe guys in Bastille took way more damage from the Magic Ice Rapier +5, about 30-40% more than the regular Ice Rapier +5.

So it looks like split damage (and magic in general I suspect) is weaker against DLC enemies because they all have higher resistances.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The magic clutch ring only adds 16 AR to my magic ice rapier. It doesn't seem worth the ring slot. I've just been using third dragon instead, because health and stamina is good. Will occasionally swap in the stone ring too.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I know it's an old issue, but it keeps coming up so I thought I'd throw some insight into the "why are people getting banned for minor cheatengine use but tallgeese never gets hit" issue.

I used to work on an MMO, and we logged TONS of data - some of it was mundane stuff for tracking player patterns, and some of it was sanity checking that helped us determine if someone was cheating (e.g. did a player exceed the maximum known valid speed any time in the past X frames, etc). When we confirmed someone as a cheater, we'd use their log history to build a signature of what the logs of a cheater looks like (or we'd add new logs to confirm a suspicion). Once we had that, we could run further back into the log history to find the earliest instance of that signature and typically have a pretty good guess at who the originator of the hack was.

Once we knew who the originator of the hack was, we would generally ban almost everyone who used the hack, except for the originator - it was more useful to know where the hacks started and how they spread than to ban a single person who would probably just be replaced by some other unknown hacker. Keep your friends close, enemies closer kind of thing.

I'm not saying that's what From is doing, but it's definitely possible. If they're smart, they're watching tallgeese's logs and working to patch the exploits he finds before they spread too far (okay, it's pretty clear they're dropping the ball on a lot of them, but who knows what kind of skeleton crew they have on post-launch content).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I'd been waiting to do the dlc till it was all out. Just finished sunken king and am ready to dive into iron king. I had a hell of a time with Elana. She wouldn't not summon Velstadt and he was hard to dodge while trying to keep her in sight and fire off sorceries. Plus my magic was doing little enough damage that I went and murdered Freja+1 just for 3 charges of css, and ended up blowing a half dozen dusk herbs before I beat her on an attempt having used 1. I would have just said gently caress it and melee'd her but I've been being a noob with this sorcerer and using fire longsword as backup. It's even more useless than the spells, even at +10.

Still, I enjoyed the fight. I ended up just having to man up and get to the point where I could not panic when Velstadt and Elana would sync up. You really gotta watch his rear end though. You'll think you're free for a spell after he's attacked, have to dodge a conflagration afterward, and get hammered as you do so if you don't. That fucker runs FAST.

On the other hand, I murdered sinh on the first attempt, directly afterward. Used all of my flasks and the last dusk herb on me, but overall he isn't very threatening. his moves are big but not one hitters, telegraphed, and not dangerously chained. Took a poison fireball? oops oh well. He also didn't seem to have the magic resists that elana has. I'm sure he'll be a nightmare on higher difficulties but in ng at least he's kinda cake.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Genocyber posted:

Also just gonna say Loyce Greatsword is still an amazing weapon and everyone should try it out. Such a good greatsword.
The moveset is seriously godlike and I think it actually uses less stamina than the Bastard Sword.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sanctum posted:

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket:

The Prowlers have a pretty good chance to drop pieces of the Mad Warrior set, but I don't think I've ever had those Black Dragon items drop.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3G5qt96GU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: I'll try again tomorrow

raton fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 5, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
If I'm invading in shulva and the host is hiding up in the elevated bonfire is there anything I can do other than leave? I can't activate the platform switches as a phantom.

e: The answer is don't invade in shulva.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 5, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

No Magic Clutch Ring 2/10

Make a video showing it off, there isn't one yet. Start with the moveset 1H(R1/R2/rolling/running/jumping), 2H(R1/R2/rolling/running/jumping), then some PVP.

I read the word descriptions of it and it sounds amazing. The rolling R1 of a longsword with more length and a 1H R1 that catches people in rolls? :henget:

:barf:

raton fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Edit: I'll try again tomorrow

Actually, if you're around I could help out.

edit: I would need to know what to set the ring to.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 5, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually, if you're around I could help out.

edit: I would need to know what to set the ring to.

Oh hey I'm still around.

Set the ring to the bottom Goddess. Fortune. What's your guy's name?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh hey I'm still around.

Set the ring to the bottom Goddess. Fortune. What's your guy's name?

Morgan Freagle. You just want me to take the sword you drop from one character, then give it to your second character correct? I'm sitting by the Wharf bonfire. What's your second character's name, so I don't accidentally give it to someone by mistake?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Go to the door above the Cardinal Tower bonfire. My first character is named Grody Jezebel. The second character is named Speck.

I'll give you two swords. You can keep one if you want, give the other one to Speck. I'm headed to that spot now.

E: A+ would smuggle again

raton fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 5, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alright, who is your second character though?

edit: huh, never knew you showed as alive when using the small white stone. I use it so rarely that I never noticed. I'm hollowed in my world from jumping off a cliff.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 5, 2014

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I don't know why people have been harping on the Ivory King UGS. It's pretty amazing. I've been equipping that along with the Ice Rapier to toss long ranged ice sorcery. It owns. With the right timing I can counter someone who rolls behind me for a backstab and that with the Red Tearstone ring means when I get to low enough health, it's on.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think you always get returned to alive with a full bar when you get summoned. That's why so many summons need a light heal upon arrival. Might be wrong though.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

How have I never seen this before. Very funny slow burn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iVXAbnIls&list=UUR3DTFdJ7Is40OT7WwTN6yA
How can you live like this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think you always get returned to alive with a full bar when you get summoned. That's why so many summons need a light heal upon arrival. Might be wrong though.

I'm still dead in my world, but I was alive in yours.

edit: I think I misunderstood what you said, but still I don't think being summoned heals you. I myself run around doing stuff sometimes when waiting for a summon and take a hit, then heal myself when summoned because if I succeed I'm filled to full anyway.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Make a video showing it off, there isn't one yet. Start with the moveset 1H(R1/R2/rolling/running/jumping), 2H(R1/R2/rolling/running/jumping), then some PVP.

I read the word descriptions of it and it sounds amazing. The rolling R1 of a longsword with more length and a 1H R1 that catches people in rolls? :henget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXuZTx0B5k&t=169s

It has the typical "stabby greatsword" moveset (except the 1HR2 which is the same as the Bastard Sword) with a different 2HR1 and R2. That thing about the longsword stab isn't exactly correct, it has the same rolling R1 as a lot of other greatswords IIRC, maybe it's a little faster. I'm not sure about the stamina drain, it felt average for a GS, not super low like the Bastard Sword and Watcher GS - I should check that more precisely.

Also that roll exploit thing looks loving disgusting, can you parry it even?